It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

50 games for the free OS available right NOW!

A while ago, [url=http://www.gog.com/news/gogcom_soon_on_more_platforms]we've announced our plans to add Linux support as one of the features of our digital platform, with 100 games on the launch day sometime this fall. We've put much time and effort into this project and now we've found ourselves with over 50 titles, classic and new, prepared for distribution, site infrastructure ready, support team trained and standing by, and absolutely no reason to wait until October or November. We're still aiming to have at least 100 Linux games in the coming months, but we've decided not to delay the launch just for the sake of having a nice-looking number to show off to the press. It's not about them, after all, it's about you. So, one of the most popular site feature requests on our community wishlist is granted today: Linux support has officially arrived on GOG.com!

The first 50+ titles we've have in store for you come from all the corners of our DRM-Free catalog. Note that we've got many classic titles coming officially to Linux for the very first time, thanks to the custom builds prepared by our dedicated team of penguin tamers. That's over twenty fan-favorite GOG.com classics, like &[url=http://www.gog.com/game/flatout_2]Flatout 2, , <a href="http://www.gog.com/game/darklands">Darklands, or Realms of the Haunting we've personally ushered one by one into the welcoming embrace of Linux gamers. That's already quite a nice chunk of our back-catalog, and you can expect more from our dedicated Linux team soon!

Now, for the recent titles. We've got some indie games with native Linux versions that finally find their well-deserved spot in our store. Among them, debuting on Linux, - a well received original comedic Sci-Fi puzzler. On top of that, be on the lookout for two new additions to the GOG.com catalog: [url=http://www.gog.com/game/gods_will_be_watching]Gods Will Be Watching (coming in a couple of hours) and Unrest:Special Edition (Linux build coming right up!), both of them very fresh and intriguing. This is the very first time we can provide you with all the PC versions of a premiere game, and we will continue to do so in the future. If there's a Linux version of a title we're releasing, our aim is to deliver it to you Day-1. But enough about us, let's talk about the games. Here's what you can be playing on Linux today:

Anomaly Warzone Earth
Ascendant
Bionic Dues
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold - first time on Linux!
Blake Stone: Planet Strike - first time on Linux!
Bloodnet - first time on Linux!
Braveland
CLARC - first time on Linux!
Darklands - first time on Linux!
Darwinia
Defcon
Don't Starve + DLC
Dragonsphere - first time on Linux!
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition
FlatOut - first time on Linux!
Flatout 2 - first time on Linux!
Fragile Allegiance - first time on Linux!
Gemini Rue
Gods Will Be Watching
Hammerwatch
Hocus Pocus - first time on Linux!
Kentucky Route Zero
The Last Federation
Legend of Grimrock
Litil Divil - first time on Linux!
Long Live the Queen
MouseCraft
Multiwinia
Normality - first time on Linux!
Pinball Gold Pack - first time on Linux!
Pinball World - first time on Linux!
Pirates! Gold Plus - first time on Linux!
Realms of the Haunting - first time on Linux!
Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender - first time on Linux!
Rise of the Triad: Dark War - first time on Linux!
Shattered Haven
The Shivah HD
Sid Meier's Colonization - first time on Linux!
Sid Meier's Covert Action - first time on Linux!
Sir, You Are Being Hunted
Slipstream 5000 - first time on Linux!
Space Pirates and Zombies
Spacechem
Stargunner - first time on Linux!
SteamWorld Dig
Super Hexagon
Surgeon Simulator 2013
Sword of the Samurai - first time on Linux!
Teslagrad
Unrest:Special Edition (Linux build on the way!)
Uplink
VVVVVV

As if this wasn't exciting enough, we've put more than half of these titles on a special promo! Head out to the promo page and find out which of them you can get up to 75% off until Tuesday, 9:59AM GMT. Of course, all of the games from the list above that you already own will be updated with Linux versions with no additional cost for you, just as you might have expected from GOG.com.

"OK, but how will Linux support actually work on GOG.com" - you might ask. For both native Linux versions, as well as special builds prepared by our team, GOG.com will provide distro-independent tar.gz archives and support convenient DEB installers for the two most popular Linux distributions: Ubuntu and Mint, in their current and future LTS editions. Helpful and responsive customer support has always been an important part of the GOG.com gaming experience. We wouldn't have it any other way when it comes to Linux, and starting today our helpdesk offers support for our official Linux releases on Ubuntu and Mint systems.

Diversity and freedom of choice have always been an important part of the GOG.com way. We're very glad that we could improve our service with the addition of the free (and DRM-Free) alternative to the commercial operating systems. Talking with gamers is just as important, so we're counting on your feedback! If you've got any questions, suggestions, or run into any trouble, just tell us in the forum thread below this post. Just please be gentle, this is [url=http://youtu.be/qBxbPts5tOk" target="_blank]our very first time[/url] with Linux. Happy launch day, everyone!
jalister: A question for the RPM crowd. What distro would you recommend GOG support? I figure Fedora would be one of them.
Never used it, but isn't Fedora like a bleeding edge distro that Red Hat uses to test stability for it's commercial offering?

That's what I read in my Linux admin book a couple years ago .

Beta-OS... err... no thanks.
Post edited July 25, 2014 by Magnitus
jalister: A question for the RPM crowd. What distro would you recommend GOG support? I figure Fedora would be one of them.
Magnitus: Never used it, but isn't Fedora like a bleeding edge distro that Red Hat uses to test stability for it's commercial offering?

That's what I read in my Linux admin book a couple years ago .

Beta-OS... err... no thanks.
That's sort of how I feel also. Fedora, Red Hat and CentOS are the main RPM distros that I know of. Red Hat is not free, and CentOS is more of a server distro. I only ask out of curiousity. I'm running Debian and Linux Mint.
openSUSE is a quite popular RPM using distro as well.
Chauncellor: Bought Duke Nukem. Exciting times! I hope that we could get our hands on Linux versions of old games (Alpha Centauri, etc.).

Hooray!
We surely will!
But my heart is still waiting for that ol' Torin's Passage linux love.
This game deserves more attention!

(interesting find: this game is way more awesome when played on a big screen tv/wireless mouse/couch. I guarantee)

ps: I really enjoyed the "more mac games available" youtube videos back then. Really. That's what you call an interesting and cool way to show some unknown games. :)
This is a great step forward. I look forward to seeing what other games get added to the list in the coming months.

An even bigger step forward would be to provide the option to get *ALL* games via zip file. Currently, several game only available as an exe. There are several games which can run using third-party game engines of which not all of them may be supported by GOG. In some cases the game engine is still a work in progress and there is no reason for GOG to consider it supported on Linux yet. But by encasing the data files in an exe file, it forces potential contributors to go through an extra step to get access to the data files before they can help work on the project. This same issue also creates an extra step when attempting to install game data files for an Android based game engine.

I am also a little disappointed that games where the developer already supported Linux didn't make the list. For example, FTL and Strike Suit Zero already supported Linux. I understand this is just the first batch. However, the only work left for GOG to do is make available the files that support Linux that the developer has already produced and tested on Linux.

Also, making it to 100 should also not be an overly difficult task. I believe there is some 57 other games on GOG which Steam already supports on Linux. It will be more exciting when GOG introduces more "first time on Linux" games.

Anyways, the 57 games I believe Steam already provides on Linux which has not been added to Linux by GOG yet is as follows:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Anodyne
Avadon: The Black Fortress
Battle Worlds: Kronos
Broken Sword: Director's Cut
Brutal Legend
Capsized
Costume Quest
Dark Matter
Democracy 3
Democracy 3: Social Engineering
Depths of Peril
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Dustforce
Escape Goat
Eschalon: Book I
Eschalon: Book II
Eschalon: Book III
Expeditions: Conquistador
FEZ
Fist Puncher
FTL: Faster Than Light
Gateways
Hotline Miami
Ittle Dew
Jazzpunk
Megabyte Punch
Montague's Mount
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Papers, Please
POSTAL 2
Psychonauts
Puddle
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny
Redshirt
Rogue Legacy
Shadowrun Returns
Signal Ops
Snapshot
Stacking
Strike Suit Zero
Symphony
System Shock 2
Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive
Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon
The 7th Guest
The Bard's Tale
The Book of Unwritten Tales
The Cat Lady
The Chaos Engine
The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief
The Swapper
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
Trine 2: Complete Story
Waking Mars
Wargame: European Escalation
Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic

Keep up the good work!
chilinux: But by encasing the data files in an exe file, it forces potential contributors to go through an extra step to get access to the data files before they can help work on the project. This same issue also creates an extra step when attempting to install game data files for an Android based game engine.
Not really. Unzipping a .zip file with unzip would take a comparable time to unpacking Windows GOG installer (.exe) with innoextract. For a lot of people it's an obscure tool though, so they might attempt to do it through installing in Wine, which is indeed a lot of more overhead.
Post edited July 25, 2014 by shmerl
shmerl: openSUSE is a quite popular RPM using distro as well.
I do use Fedora myself and have been using it to play most gog.com games in Linux (I don't have Windows). I'm down to 5 games that I can't play well enough in Linux. I started taking risks buying games from gog.com without having a Windows machine ever since I had a first experience buying a Tomb Raider trilogy box cheap from a retail store without having Windows machine, and making it work perfectly in Linux.

I still wouldn't want gog.com supporting Fedora if they have to spread their resources thin, since I can do without RPM just fine (I love the tar.gz format since I can install it anywhere I want, instead of forced to certain directory structure by RPM.)

I tested Gemini Rue and it works just fine in Fedora, not to mention that it runs in native 64-bit code, and saves game files in my home directory just fine.

The only issue is I can't make it run in windowed mode. The "--windowed" option doesn't work, so it's covering my dual monitors with 320x200 resolution. A little embarrassing in front of my kids.

I hope Bard's Tale Linux version appears soon, since that's one of the few games I can't play in Linux. Heavy Gear II too (I have the retail CD, but willing to pay again for Linux.)

And it will be a good incentive for game developers to make Linux port available for all their games. I still have 3 other games that I can't play in Linux out of more than a hundred games that I bought over the years that work just fine. I even bought games from gog.com that I already own, since I got tired of trying to install from CD on Linux (Nox is one example.)

I believe gog.com has a great future.
lalowei: For i= 1 to 10000000;
print "THANK YOU";
next i;

That's all i have got to say...
#!/bin/bash
for i in {1..1000}
do
echo "THANK YOU"
done

Fixed that for you to be more Linux-relevant.
Hooray! I have considered switching to ZorinOS or LinuxMint. This will be good for later. Thank you for inviting Tux the Penguin to the games.
Post edited July 25, 2014 by NessAndSonic
jalister: Windows 7 will be supported until January 14, 2020.
Ha! I guess that I can safely change that to "once this computer breaks down" then, since I strongly doubt it will last that long! My average before needing to just build a new one is 5 years, and this one is something like 3-4 years old, though I'm hoping it lasts much longer as I can't really afford to go building a new one again any time soon.

Edit: I'd probably just switch to Mint now, but Linux-based OSes don't like my wireless network card (no card = no internet) and I don't feel like going through all the hassle to maybe possibly get it to work. So, I'm just going to wait until I build a new computer, and I'll make sure Linux is happy with all my parts when I do so.
Post edited July 25, 2014 by Nesoo
Future_Suture: GOG is still missing a ton of native Linux clients for games it is already selling. Hope these native Linux clients make it over sooner rather than later!
Here's hoping :)

I also hope we manage to get native ports of some older games like Unreal Tournament 2004 and Neverwinter Nights :) Fingers crossed!
Future_Suture: GOG is still missing a ton of native Linux clients for games it is already selling. Hope these native Linux clients make it over sooner rather than later!
JudasIscariot: Here's hoping :)

I also hope we manage to get native ports of some older games like Unreal Tournament 2004 and Neverwinter Nights :) Fingers crossed!
Dude. Duuuuude. Oh my GOG, if that happens, you'll have some major exclusives on your hands. As far as I am aware, literally no retailer sells these for Linux!
Been playing many of my GOG games with Wine... it's good to see GOG is adding true Linux support, which saves me TONS of work setting up games.

A couple of years ago I would have loathed the thought of using Linux, however...

I switched from Windows to Linux and haven't looked back since. The only thing that was holding me back was I was told Linux was a terrible gaming platform... I'm getting higher FPS running The Witcher on Linux Mint than I was on Windows XP. Dungeon Keeper 2 doesn't crash on Mint, and has NO graphical glitches either... and all my games run faster due to my operating system using up practically no resources. I'm very happy with Linux as a gaming platform. I use both Linux Mint and Puppy Linux, I will never pay for a slow, buggy, virus-prone OS again when I get a better gaming experience with something that's free and open source!

Thanks again GOG, you guys really know how to run a business. DRM free, oldies-but-goodies, good prices, and now Linux support!
jalister: Windows 7 will be supported until January 14, 2020.
Nesoo: Ha! I guess that I can safely change that to "once this computer breaks down" then, since I strongly doubt it will last that long! My average before needing to just build a new one is 5 years, and this one is something like 3-4 years old, though I'm hoping it lasts much longer as I can't really afford to go building a new one again any time soon.

Edit: I'd probably just switch to Mint now, but Linux-based OSes don't like my wireless network card (no card = no internet) and I don't feel like going through all the hassle to maybe possibly get it to work. So, I'm just going to wait until I build a new computer, and I'll make sure Linux is happy with all my parts when I do so.
If you want to know which wireless cards work best with most Linux distros, I suggest perusing WikiDevi. It shows which wirelss cards use what driver under most distros. I have a card that uses Atheros drivers under Mint 17 and it's great, I just plug it in and it works :D
JudasIscariot: Here's hoping :)

Future_Suture: Dude. Duuuuude. Oh my GOG, if that happens, you'll have some major exclusives on your hands. As far as I am aware, literally no retailer sells these for Linux!
Duuuuuuuude :D
Post edited July 25, 2014 by JudasIscariot
Future_Suture: Dude. Duuuuude. Oh my GOG, if that happens, you'll have some major exclusives on your hands. As far as I am aware, literally no retailer sells these for Linux!
JudasIscariot: Duuuuuuuude :D
Please, make it so. Also, enlighten me as to why these games are missing from GOG, please. They all have native Linux clients so it's somewhat relevant to this announcement!