It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

<span class="bold">Is it May 19th yet? </span>

<span class="bold">The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt</span> is literally right around the corner, but for CD PROJEKT RED it all still seems like a case study in "How much excitement can the human body handle?". We've gotten a lot of gameplay footage recently, but there is nothing quite like a cinematic cutscene to really get the blood pumping. If you've seen the launch cinematics released so far for The Witcher and The Witcher 2 - you should know exactly the kind of quality you can expect.

If you've held out this long - you can still get the game before its May 19th release with the preorder discount, getting it at GOG.com is the one way to support the developers directly, and it gets you a whole bunch of free goodies to boot!

Enough said, check out the night to remember.
Post edited May 14, 2015 by Konrad
:') Beautiful. Gutted that I cannot afford to get this on launch day.
Time to start my 5th play through of Witcher 2 I guess while I wait for pay day ;-)
bremitt: i say get someone like Del Toro to collaborate closely with CD Projekt Red and let's have a live action movie already
Could we not add the people behind the CGI stuff to the team and have an animated movie instead ;)
Luckmann: That said, I'm not a fan of console games, so I'm going to give it a pass.
EckoShy: You're joking, right?
...why would I be? Not only is there no way, no how I could afford the game, nor could I likely run it on a level I'd like on this hunk of junk I have these days, but it's just not my cup of tea. We don't have to all like the same thing.
Amazing trailer! What kind of creature is that woman? And why does she say no witcher woud have hunt her in the past? The fight is extremely intense! Well done!
I made a screenshot of the beautiful monster.
Attachments:
witcher.png (439 Kb)
wolfsrain: I love the soundtrack...That harrowing song was perfect for the trailer. And i do not play graphics. I play a game. For a story and for gameplay. Not for graphics. Your loss is my gain.
Must agree wholeheartedly :)
skeletonbow: <snip>
Yes, believe it or not... that's the short story. :)
I believe you, and I'm awaiting for long version of a story with great anticipation!
Seriously, with minor adjustments, what you told me is the story of my relations with those two, only "fuck you sideways" came later than yours, as I had dial-up for many years, and getting on-line-related "stuff" (including digital distribution) was difficult. Working in East Europe means being limited to local retail as source of "immediate" access to games, which in turn leasd to localized versions, so I had to rely on overseas stores.
Funnily enough, things return back to same with games guess from which companies. Right, EA and Ubisoft, who now language-lock their digitally distributed games, in addition to various other locks. So it's "fuck you sideways again". :D

skeletonbow: Even though it isn't generally my cup of tea... I have that "AMD Evolved Raptr" whatever application installed that comes with the Catalyst drivers or wherever the hell I got it, and while I find it to be a little spywarish of a feel to it, I disabled all of the phone-home type of features and I have used it to optimize the settings of a few games which I then went and slightly refined by hand. It ended up helping in a few cases, so hopefully it might also come in handy for Witcher 3.
Although I had that thing installed on parallel OS, for a brief time though, true, still, I don't really see any improvements there, probably because I prefer to tune my games manually (if they allow any meaningful tuning). Not that I distrusts some third-party software to do the job, but in most cases I can't spot the difference either due to v-sync turned on (yeah, second world problems - FPS too high /grin), or because games are so unoptimized you can't file down some rough edges using this tool, or PC is too weak to handle the stuff. Plus that Raptr tends to enable motion blur and depth of field , which I despise - like we don't have enough blurry stuff already. As for Witcher, I really don't know, it's Nvidia oriented game, no?

skeletonbow: Yeah, I'm a fairly regular customer of all the big bundle sites including Humble too and had good experiences with most of them so far (excluding Groupees which sucks rocks). :)
Currently I'm more interested in site which could sell a time to play bought games. Couple of months for Witcher 3 would do. ;)
Abelf: Amazing trailer! What kind of creature is that woman? And why does she say no witcher woud have hunt her in the past? The fight is extremely intense! Well done!
I made a screenshot of the beautiful monster.
By all accounts, it's a Bruxa.
EckoShy: You're joking, right?
Luckmann: ...why would I be? Not only is there no way, no how I could afford the game, nor could I likely run it on a level I'd like on this hunk of junk I have these days, but it's just not my cup of tea. We don't have to all like the same thing.
When did I say you have to like it? I'm questioning the fact that you're calling it a "console game" out of the blue, when it's a game built for PC first and foremost.

Also, newsflash, console games might run at lower resolutions and framerate and such, but simply being available on a console does not cause it to have actual gameplay differences.
RudyLis: I believe you, and I'm awaiting for long version of a story with great anticipation!
Seriously, with minor adjustments, what you told me is the story of my relations with those two, only "fuck you sideways" came later than yours, as I had dial-up for many years, and getting on-line-related "stuff" (including digital distribution) was difficult. Working in East Europe means being limited to local retail as source of "immediate" access to games, which in turn leasd to localized versions, so I had to rely on overseas stores.
Funnily enough, things return back to same with games guess from which companies. Right, EA and Ubisoft, who now language-lock their digitally distributed games, in addition to various other locks. So it's "fuck you sideways again". :D
Yeah, the funny thing is - I still play their games, I just don't pay for them. I just throw their titles that I'm interested in game-wise onto one of my wishlists and leave them there to rot more or less. Occasionally someone holds a giveaway or similar and I get lucky and win a free copy of one of the multitude of games and end up with a legit copy that I didn't personally have to spend money on to feel ripped off later if and when I have a bad experience. As a result, when I do end up having a bad experience with such a game, I end up not feeling bad because I didn't actually pay anything for it.

Very very rarely, I make a mistake though too - as I did when I bought the Grand Theft Auto Complete Pack 18 months or so and forgot to do my DRM research on every single game in the pack. GTA4 burned me massively with a horrible experience due to 4 types of DRM and GFWL servers and Rockstar Social Club servers being down more than a crack whore in an alleyway. So I screw up on rare occasions but I am usually very careful. I don't 100% avoid DRM, but I do try to 100% avoid that kind of crap DRM. :) So Rockstar got my money for GTA 1-4 and all in between but they wont get my money for GTA5. :) I'm going to play it though... just as soon as I eventually get lucky and win a free copy $somewhere $sometime even if it is like 5 years from now. I have all the patience in the world and something like 800 games to fill my time with until then. I can wait them out. :)

RudyLis: Although I had that thing installed on parallel OS, for a brief time though, true, still, I don't really see any improvements there, probably because I prefer to tune my games manually (if they allow any meaningful tuning). Not that I distrusts some third-party software to do the job, but in most cases I can't spot the difference either due to v-sync turned on (yeah, second world problems - FPS too high /grin), or because games are so unoptimized you can't file down some rough edges using this tool, or PC is too weak to handle the stuff. Plus that Raptr tends to enable motion blur and depth of field , which I despise - like we don't have enough blurry stuff already. As for Witcher, I really don't know, it's Nvidia oriented game, no?

Currently I'm more interested in site which could sell a time to play bought games. Couple of months for Witcher 3 would do. ;)
I usually leave VSYNC disabled in games unless I actually observe shearing effects. Haven't seen that in a long time but I was experimenting with multihead gaming with 2 monitors a week or two ago and Banished dual-head had shearing on the 2nd monitor only which was weird. :)

I'm undecided on motion blur and depth of field overall currently, need to experiment more with on/off on different games with those settings. I think I might end up liking it in some games and not in others perhaps.

I'm not sure if CDPR Witcher games are sleeping with AMD/ATI or nVidia... haven't paid attention but if I had to guess I'd guess that they're probably nVidia. But the consoles all have AMD hardware in them I think so perhaps I'm wrong on that... not sure. :)
skeletonbow: Yeah, the funny thing is - I still play their games, I just don't pay for them. I just throw their titles that I'm interested in game-wise onto one of my wishlists and leave them there to rot more or less. Occasionally someone holds a giveaway or similar and I get lucky and win a free copy of one of the multitude of games and end up with a legit copy that I didn't personally have to spend money on to feel ripped off later if and when I have a bad experience. As a result, when I do end up having a bad experience with such a game, I end up not feeling bad because I didn't actually pay anything for it.
Finally! Somewhere we are different :p. I stopped purchasing and playing their games, as I felt they stopped evolving (especially funny, if you remember ME3 rubbish - "We evolve, or we die", apparently not:)), doing more the same every year,
Ubisoft being shovelling those towers everywhere, and I'm surprised there are none in Tetris on PS4 (or so I've heard). Imagine, towers in driving game. Towers, Carl! Of course, I've heard Ubisoft still publishes nice games, like Valiant hears, apparently made by members of secret order "We are working for Ubi, we are sorry". Yet remembering all clusterfuck I had with them works as very good... "gaming contraceptive". :D
EA are no better, I forgot what is the last good game from EA was. I mean really from EA, not some other franchise they bought and butchered. I mean, I got some games they happen to own now here, but mostly because when I bought them many years ago they weren't that useless, and in many cases those games weren't their (Syndicate, for example). Since I'm not super GoG Tech-people, I can't adapt those old games to modern rigs, plus I do like GoG.

they wont get my money for GTA5. :) I'm going to play it though... just as soon as I eventually get lucky and win a free copy $somewhere $sometime even if it is like 5 years from now. I have all the patience in the world and something like 800 games to fill my time with until then. I can wait them out. :)
You know, GTA V actually works fine, at least on consoles' settings, go above and you'll be able to see that Rockstar still can't into PC ports, I completed game (okay, 77%, but it's irrelevant, as 100% is not actual 100%), but outside of odd stutter and FPS drops, game was fine in terms of stability.
On a contrast, when I was trying to reinstall my GTA IV copy, none of "make this shit work" solutions offered by Rockstar helped, so I couldn't play game I paid for just few years after it was released. So I think you should speed that process up, before GTA V will be unplayable six years later on AMD R11 590X and GTX 1280. :D

skeletonbow: I usually leave VSYNC disabled in games unless I actually observe shearing effects. Haven't seen that in a long time but I was experimenting with multihead gaming with 2 monitors a week or two ago and Banished dual-head had shearing on the 2nd monitor only which was weird. :)
I prefer to keep it enabled, as I rarely see difference beyond smooth 40 FPS (which are rare these days), so there is no point setting GPUs in afterburner mode to render 300FPS. Unless it's winter and it's cold, then it's perfectly justified. :)
Banished is nice game, one of those where you can enjoy three things people can look at indefinitely - how fire burns, how water flows, and how other people work.

skeletonbow: I'm undecided on motion blur and depth of field overall currently, need to experiment more with on/off on different games with those settings. I think I might end up liking it in some games and not in others perhaps.
Nuh, totally not me. I don't get very idea of motion blur, in most cases we don't move THAT fast, and DoF in many cases creates rather odd effects, sometimes changing active focus into wrong plane. Plus, colour me weird, and call it my pet peeve - I spent enough time wearing gas mask in the army, everything blurry irritates me a lot. :)

skeletonbow: I'm not sure if CDPR Witcher games are sleeping with AMD/ATI or nVidia... haven't paid attention but if I had to guess I'd guess that they're probably nVidia. But the consoles all have AMD hardware in them I think so perhaps I'm wrong on that... not sure. :)
AFAIR Nvidia gave some of their "workstuff" to be implemented in engine, nothing really advanced, as consoles wouldn't handle it (just try to launch Mafia 2 with PhysX heavy on AMD GPU), but minor stuff would do. Still, I have no idea how W3 engine would cope with modern AMD gear, W2 works fine in the end, but hey, it's 4 years old. Though in high-res it's still quite hungry, just read some report recently. For such an old game, FPS was really unimpressive, even given big screen.
I give CDPR a lot of flak for various things, but this cinematic is incredible. The hummed song is perfect, the action is great, the visuals are insanely detailed (just look at her neck when she scoffs), and I wound up feeling more emotionally involved with the monster than the protagonists of some games. Just a great job all around.
skeletonbow:
RudyLis: Finally! Somewhere we are different :p. I stopped purchasing and playing their games, as I felt they stopped evolving (especially funny, if you remember ME3 rubbish - "We evolve, or we die", apparently not:)), doing more the same every year,
I never was familiar with the ME series personally although I've read various comments from others about those games that were unflattering in this regard.

RudyLis: ...
EA are no better, I forgot what is the last good game from EA was. I mean really from EA, not some other franchise they bought and butchered. I mean, I got some games they happen to own now here, but mostly because when I bought them many years ago they weren't that useless, and in many cases those games weren't their (Syndicate, for example). Since I'm not super GoG Tech-people, I can't adapt those old games to modern rigs, plus I do like GoG.
The last EA game I bought outside of GOG.com was Battle for Middle Earth II which was amazing and still one of my favourite games even though the online servers haven't been active in ages. I've got a few of their newer titles in my Origin account but I haven't paid for any of them.

they wont get my money for GTA5. :) I'm going to play it though... just as soon as I eventually get lucky and win a free copy $somewhere $sometime even if it is like 5 years from now. I have all the patience in the world and something like 800 games to fill my time with until then. I can wait them out. :)
RudyLis: You know, GTA V actually works fine, at least on consoles' settings, go above and you'll be able to see that Rockstar still can't into PC ports, I completed game (okay, 77%, but it's irrelevant, as 100% is not actual 100%), but outside of odd stutter and FPS drops, game was fine in terms of stability.
On a contrast, when I was trying to reinstall my GTA IV copy, none of "make this shit work" solutions offered by Rockstar helped, so I couldn't play game I paid for just few years after it was released. So I think you should speed that process up, before GTA V will be unplayable six years later on AMD R11 590X and GTX 1280. :D
Rockstar support is even worse than terrible. I went to their website to look for help with a problem and their website redirected me to a GTA video that is a rickroll on Youtube. I shit you not. It turns out that if you have javascript disabled on their website, which is how my browser is by default - they detect this and think it is funny to redirect customers to a rickroll video. Yeah, fucking hilarious Rockstar. But when I pointed this out to their support people they got back to me 30 days later to tell me I should scan my computer for viruses like I was some computer illiterate retard or something. Their support page web page code directly and purposefully redirects people with javascript to a rickroll video and they wont even acknowledge it. What a shitty customer service experience. "This site requires javascript to operate properly, please enable it." is the correct thing to do, not play a prank on an already pissed off customer looking for help with a problem with your product. I don't know if their site still does this or not but I wouldn't be surprised. They refuse to even acknowledge it though, so either they're being douchebags, or their website was hacked and they're too stupid to even notice.

Anyhow I filed a proper support request for an issue I had, and that was like last July or so. I just got an email response from them about 4 days ago for it. 10 month response time for a customer support request, awesome. Just let me rip out my wallet and throw money at you for GTA5! NOT!!!

skeletonbow: I'm not sure if CDPR Witcher games are sleeping with AMD/ATI or nVidia... haven't paid attention but if I had to guess I'd guess that they're probably nVidia. But the consoles all have AMD hardware in them I think so perhaps I'm wrong on that... not sure. :)
RudyLis: AFAIR Nvidia gave some of their "workstuff" to be implemented in engine, nothing really advanced, as consoles wouldn't handle it (just try to launch Mafia 2 with PhysX heavy on AMD GPU), but minor stuff would do. Still, I have no idea how W3 engine would cope with modern AMD gear, W2 works fine in the end, but hey, it's 4 years old. Though in high-res it's still quite hungry, just read some report recently. For such an old game, FPS was really unimpressive, even given big screen.
Yup, I actually have done just that - Mafia II with PhysX enabled on my Radeon HD7850 and the game crawled to an extreme slideshow instantly. I had no idea why it was so slow and had to go one setting at a time through all the options disabling things until finally disabling PhysX made the game run smooth. I re-maxed out all the other graphics settings and Mafia II runs completely smooth and rock solid at 2560x1600 on my system full frame rate no stuttering. Turn PhysX on -> slideshow. Very lame. It'd really be nice for these companies to work on vendor neutral standards with vendor neutral APIs. You know, like DirectX or even more importantly OpenGL, OpenAL etc. They just love to implement their own anti-consumer proprietary exclusive things though, it's just the nature of things.

Both Witcher 1 and 2 run on my system in 2560x1600 with graphics maxed out pretty smoothly. No way in hell am I going to get that lucky with Witcher 3 by a long shot though. LOL I *will* be trying it just to view the amazing slideshow, but I'll let y'all know how I make out in the end. :) Chances are I will get to enjoy seeing the engine and graphics and whatnot but probably wont be able to actually play for real until I get a hardware upgrade in the distant future. That's ok though, I went into my purchase not only suspecting it - but being sure it would likely be the case so I wont be disappointed at CDPR over it at all as I made an informed decision. :)
Am I the only one who thinks that chick in the trailer looks a lot like Mirando Otto? Pre-transformation into a vampire that is. :)
skeletonbow: I never was familiar with the ME series personally although I've read various comments from others about those games that were unflattering in this regard.
I still like ME1, despite all problems it has, and I think it has best gameplay of all three, plus decent narrative. "Visceral" combat in ME2/3, and faulty narrative there were much of disappointment. For over three hundred bucks dumped only for that series, including DLCs. :D
I'd say stay aside, really. Save you at least 75 hours.

skeletonbow: The last EA game I bought outside of GOG.com was Battle for Middle Earth II which was amazing and still one of my favourite games even though the online servers haven't been active in ages. I've got a few of their newer titles in my Origin account but I haven't paid for any of them.
I probably would forever remember last EA game I bought, because it is... Mass Effect 3. /roflcopter flying off :D Command and Conquer 4 was horrible. And Battlefield 3 was so epic, EA support been escalating ticket for it for five months. Now if you excuse me, I'll leave you for a moment to have a good laughter.
I wasn't kidding when I was saying EA support sucks so much, should they be vacuum cleaners, all other vacuum cleaners manufacturers would go immediate bankrupt, due to pointless competition.
Although I still don't mind to replay old games I like, Crusader, or Wing Commander, I don't really feel like paying EA, no matter how much I liked those games before. Plus Crusader had nice soundtrack.

skeletonbow: Rockstar support is even worse than terrible.
I wonder what's Ubisoft or Bethesda's support are, in this case. When I bought GTA IV they were helpful, actually. Sadly I got localized version and while local distributor refused to replace obviously damaged disk, Rockstar was willing to help, but told me they don't have one. That's still more than Ubisoft ever tried to do. :D

skeletonbow: I went to their website to look for help with a problem and their website redirected me to a GTA video that is a rickroll on Youtube. I shit you not.
<snip>
They refuse to even acknowledge it though, so either they're being douchebags, or their website was hacked and they're too stupid to even notice.
From what I've heard, Rockstar doesn't give a damn much about own employees, and treat other people rather...., well, "we are the rockstar, and you suck". Of course, as many articles' disclaimers state "take it with a grain of salt", but I'd rather believe to what I see.

skeletonbow: Anyhow I filed a proper support request for an issue I had, and that was like last July or so. I just got an email response from them about 4 days ago for it. 10 month response time for a customer support request, awesome. Just let me rip out my wallet and throw money at you for GTA5! NOT!!!
Wow, I wonder, my case of EA total silence of 5 months and 11 month total to tell me they can't help me (with "try it turn off and on again" in between month 6 and 11) are ahead of you or behind? Remember, it's not us competing, but them.

skeletonbow: Yup, I actually have done just that - Mafia II with PhysX enabled on my Radeon HD7850 and the game crawled to an extreme slideshow instantly. I had no idea why it was so slow and had to go one setting at a time through all the options disabling things until finally disabling PhysX made the game run smooth. I re-maxed out all the other graphics settings and Mafia II runs completely smooth and rock solid at 2560x1600 on my system full frame rate no stuttering. Turn PhysX on -> slideshow. Very lame. It'd really be nice for these companies to work on vendor neutral standards with vendor neutral APIs. You know, like DirectX or even more importantly OpenGL, OpenAL etc. They just love to implement their own anti-consumer proprietary exclusive things though, it's just the nature of things.
Mhm, game works slow? First line on checklist is "Disable PhysX". :) Why it cannot be disabled automatically upon detecting your hardware? You can't enable EAX if your sound card does not support it.
But I agree, very strange way to fight for our wallets, offering features implemented in 2.75 games. In this aspect I respect AMD more for opting to kill Mantle in favour of DX and new OpenGL. Fragmentation does us no good, and I'm not going to take sides in Green/Red war based only on 2-3 features rarely used.

skeletonbow: Both Witcher 1 and 2 run on my system in 2560x1600 with graphics maxed out pretty smoothly. No way in hell am I going to get that lucky with Witcher 3 by a long shot though. LOL I *will* be trying it just to view the amazing slideshow, but I'll let y'all know how I make out in the end. :) Chances are I will get to enjoy seeing the engine and graphics and whatnot but probably wont be able to actually play for real until I get a hardware upgrade in the distant future. That's ok though, I went into my purchase not only suspecting it - but being sure it would likely be the case so I wont be disappointed at CDPR over it at all as I made an informed decision. :)
No offence to CPDR, but there are chances you wouldn't be the only one enjoying slide-show in early days after release. GTA V is nearly month old, but still have unexplainable FPS issues, and nobody gives a damn. While CDPR are known to be more user-friendly, experience with previous games leaves some space for possible performance hit early on.
But if Witcher 3 is indeed console port, I'm pretty sure you'll find the way to play it, to downgrade it even [url=https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFCE6-1WAAABIaR.jpg:large]further.[/url]:)
WOW, simply awesome trailer.