It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

NoNewTaleToTell: Howdy y'all, how ya doin'?
Hey! I'm doing fine, how are you?

CarrionCrow: It's even worse when it's the same commercial, and it just keeps going...and going...and going. I'm pretty sure the same commercial here for a legal firm that specializes in asbestos-related lawsuits has been on for the last 10 years solid.

I know that feeling. There's a local coffee place that does very good milkshakes and fruit smoothies. The prices are nuts, even compared to fast food places that do similar items at very high prices, but they're nice to have every once in a great while.
Ugh yeah. I don't even watch TV much (once a week is a lot for me) and yet even so I've become completely frustrated with some commercials.
Yep, they make for good rewards if you've had a particularly harrowing day. If I do grab one it's usually on Friday afternoon with a friend before taking the train to my mother's place.

AgentBirdnest: I guess I should keep my mouth shut then :-p I'll talk about something else...
Water is the best. Sure glad I have this mug of room temperature water here to keep me happy...... [/lying]
Hahahaha. That's not helping my hot chocolate craving but it is making me laugh. :P

LeoLR: Pardon my curiosity. A few days ago you were trying to decide on which subject to write your essay. What did you choose?
I think I was talking about my master's dissertation back then? If so, I still don't have a topic for that. :P The two smaller essays I just wrote are on women in Mandeville's Travels (Medieval travel/monster book) and the supernatural in Macbeth and Othello. :)
NoNewTaleToTell: Howdy y'all, how ya doin'?
I began writing a novel for my reply, but decided to be polite and just stick with "doin' alright" instead :-)
FearfulSymmetry: Hahahaha. That's not helping my hot chocolate craving but it is making me laugh. :P
\o/
Always happy to make someone do that :-)
j0ekerr: Good moaning what's going o... GOOD GOD IS THAT IT FOR HALLOWEEN?!

Meh; it's good enough.

There's an IHOP here?! (first time I read that, I thought it was some sort of tech gadget) I must go, order some, then rack my brains about how people keep eating such things willingly and repeatedly.

I'm still trying to figure out McDonalds.

There's at least 2 starbucks in town. I've ordered twice from them. Once to try it. And a second to convince myself that I hadn't hallucinated the whole thing. I don't even think their coffe is particularly bad, just ludicruously overpriced. Also, over here people usually prefer coffee in small doses, not in HUEG paper soda cups. As far as I know, they're kept in business almost exclusively thanks to tourists.

No prize for guessing their nationality.
It's a pretty good sale. Pretty much all the stuff you'd expect to see is there, making series completion much easier. They even threw in a few items I didn't think would be there, like Stasis. Ended up grabbing that one.

Costco is depressing here. If I travelled over an ocean, only to find another Costco? I'd probably just start drinking.

-laughs- My theory on McDonald's is that it was much, much better once. As a result, it became hugely popular. The more popular it became, the more its quality went to shit.

I keep remembering the coffee place I'd go to as a teenager. Its coffee was easily 10 times better, at roughly two-third the price.

The tourist thing wouldn't surprise me. "It's sub-par and expensive, but it's familiar, so let's get it rather than trying any of that scary foreign country stuff."
FearfulSymmetry: Hey! I'm doing fine, how are you?
Doing fine here too!

AgentBirdnest: I began writing a novel for my reply, but decided to be polite and just stick with "doin' alright" instead :-)
Nothing wrong with a novel...or at least that's what I tell myself as I'm novel prone myself haha. Glad to hear you're doin' alright if you actually are, either way glad to see ya around.
NoNewTaleToTell: What game? I picked up Jefequeso's new game A Wolf in Autumn last night and I'll probably play it when I get some quiet time later. It's supposed to be short, maybe an hour or so, about like his first commercial game The Moon Sliver.

Overall, doing good enough that I can't complain much. I'm falling back into goth pop and doom pop, I love that style but it can be a pain in the rear to find new groups of that style.
Warhammer 40K: Kill Team. Just a bad twin stick shooter.

That's not bad. I can think of far worse genres to get into. -laughs-
AgentBirdnest: \o/
Always happy to make someone do that :-)
Well, you did a good job! ;)

CarrionCrow: It's a pretty good sale. Pretty much all the stuff you'd expect to see is there, making series completion much easier. They even threw in a few items I didn't think would be there, like Stasis. Ended up grabbing that one.

Costco is depressing here. If I travelled over an ocean, only to find another Costco? I'd probably just start drinking.

-laughs- My theory on McDonald's is that it was much, much better once. As a result, it became hugely popular. The more popular it became, the more its quality went to shit.

I keep remembering the coffee place I'd go to as a teenager. Its coffee was easily 10 times better, at roughly two-third the price.

The tourist thing wouldn't surprise me. "It's sub-par and expensive, but it's familiar, so let's get it rather than trying any of that scary foreign country stuff."
Ironically enough I already picked up Stasis on GMG yesterday, not knowing GOG would also put it on sale. :P I'd have preferred to have it on here but I did save a few bucks compared to the price here, so I guess it's a tradeoff. :P

Is this were I admit I quite like those plastic McDonalds hamburgers every once in a while? For me they're kind of 'so bad it's good'.
FearfulSymmetry: Ugh yeah. I don't even watch TV much (once a week is a lot for me) and yet even so I've become completely frustrated with some commercials.
Yep, they make for good rewards if you've had a particularly harrowing day. If I do grab one it's usually on Friday afternoon with a friend before taking the train to my mother's place.
Sounds familiar. I watch it rarely, but even then I still run into the same ads being played.

Probably better that way. At least then it feels like a treat. Less chance of picking at the overall concept too much.
FearfulSymmetry: Ironically enough I already picked up Stasis on GMG yesterday, not knowing GOG would also put it on sale. :P I'd have preferred to have it on here but I did save a few bucks compared to the price here, so I guess it's a tradeoff. :P

Is this were I admit I quite like those plastic McDonalds hamburgers every once in a while? For me they're kind of 'so bad it's good'.
Can't blame you there. Stasis would probably be my least likely sale item, aside from Fistful of Gun. That one being half off already screams low sales numbers.

So they're like the culinary equivalent of watching a bad 70's exploitation movie? I can get behind that.
McDonald's - the Cannibal Holocaust of cuisine.
Post edited October 28, 2015 by CarrionCrow
FearfulSymmetry: ...

I think I was talking about my master's dissertation back then? If so, I still don't have a topic for that. :P The two smaller essays I just wrote are on women in Mandeville's Travels (Medieval travel/monster book) and the supernatural in Macbeth and Othello. :)
I never read anything from Shakespeare except, if my memory serves me correctly, some excerpts of Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet back in high school during some literature classes.
LeoLR: Is another harsh winter being expected in the US this year? I remember that during the last winter some cities got buried with snow.
I dunno. I don't pay much attention to the weather outside of my city. Here in Bumblepluck Utah, in the middle of a desert, the weather is usually...
Spring : Seriously hot as pluck
Summer : Absolutely brutally hot as pluck
Autumn : Depressingly hot as pluck
Winter : Slightly less hot as pluck than usual
LeoLR: Is another harsh winter being expected in the US this year? I remember that during the last winter some cities got buried with snow.
AgentBirdnest: I dunno. I don't pay much attention to the weather outside of my city. Here in Bumblepluck Utah, in the middle of a desert, the weather is usually...
Spring : Seriously hot as pluck
Summer : Absolutely brutally hot as pluck
Autumn : Depressingly hot as pluck
Winter : Slightly less hot as pluck than usual
I spent five years living in what is commonly referred to as the "armpit" of California and can confirm that the weather is exactly the same, with the added bonus of having the country's worst air quality.
CarrionCrow: It's a pretty good sale. Pretty much all the stuff you'd expect to see is there, making series completion much easier. They even threw in a few items I didn't think would be there, like Stasis. Ended up grabbing that one.

I'm outraged, OUTRAGED I SAY! How dare GOG not appeal to ME by having a huge ass sale exactly when I expect it? I am a forum user. I'm entitled damn it!
*Actually looks at the sale*
Goddamnit GOG, why do you keep making so difficult to be a loudmouthed whiny asshat?

I never thought CostCo to be particularly horrible, just a mix of warehouse with department store. I guess I just don't care enough about the place. Or that there weren't obese rednecks fighting over the last case of beer and sack of nachos.
My own theory about McDonalds is that they used the same strategy as the tobacco companies. Those Happy Meal toys feel a lot more sinister now.

One last thing about Starbucks, 2 out of 3 people lounging there had apple devices. To me that explains everything.
Post edited October 28, 2015 by j0ekerr
CarrionCrow: Sounds familiar. I watch it rarely, but even then I still run into the same ads being played.

Probably better that way. At least then it feels like a treat. Less chance of picking at the overall concept too much.
Can't blame you there. Stasis would probably be my least likely sale item, aside from Fistful of Gun. That one being half off already screams low sales numbers.

So they're like the culinary equivalent of watching a bad 70's exploitation movie? I can get behind that.
McDonald's - the Cannibal Holocaust of cuisine.
Yep, I wasn't expecting it on sale so soon either, so I kind of jumped at the GMG deal since it seemed quite interesting to me.

Haha yes, sort of like that. I like to joke that I thrive on fast food and candy because that's what my mother was mostly eating when she was pregnant with me. :P I do eat healthy food most of the time but I can really really enjoy sinking my teeth into those crappy burgers and overly salty fries ...

LeoLR: I never read anything from Shakespeare except, if my memory serves me correctly, some excerpts of Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet back in high school during some literature classes.
I haven't read everything, but I've read a fair amount. These are the ones I recall reading: Othello, Macbeth, Midsummer Night's Dream, Richard III, Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet (I played in that one in high school too), King Lear, As You Like It, Merchant of Venice. So yeah, obviously I still have a ways to go, but I'm getting there, slowly. :P Of course it helps that I'm a literature student ...
j0ekerr: I'm outraged, OUTRAGED I SAY! How dare GOG not appeal to ME by having a huge ass sale exactly when I expect it to be? I am a forum user. I'm entitled damn it!
*Actually looks at the sale*
Goddamnit GOG, why do you keep making so difficult to be a loudmouthed whiny asshat?

I never thought CostCo to be particularly horrible, just a mix of warehouse with department store. I guess I just don't care enough about the place. Or that there weren't obese rednecks fighting over the last case of beer and sack of nachos.
My own theory about McDonalds is that they used the same strategy as the tobacco companies. Those Happy Meal toys feel a lot more sinister now.

One last thing about Starbucks, 2 out of 3 people lounging there had apple devices. To me that explains everything.
Save the outrage for the next Insomnia. There are always some angry people around during those.

Maybe it's just the nearby one, then. There's something about the place that sucks out energy until you're compelled to wonder the aisles like a zombie.

FearfulSymmetry: Yep, I wasn't expecting it on sale so soon either, so I kind of jumped at the GMG deal since it seemed quite interesting to me.

Haha yes, sort of like that. I like to joke that I thrive on fast food and candy because that's what my mother was mostly eating when she was pregnant with me. :P I do eat healthy food most of the time but I can really really enjoy sinking my teeth into those crappy burgers and overly salty fries ...
Yes, it looks interesting to me as well. Figured I'd eventually get it on sale since my whole system for game hoarding falls apart a bit if I start paying retail price for everything.

It sounds like you've got things balanced well. Most of the time it's healthy, so you can indulge without it being a problem.
Post edited October 28, 2015 by CarrionCrow
NoNewTaleToTell: I spent five years living in what is commonly referred to as the "armpit" of California and can confirm that the weather is exactly the same, with the added bonus of having the country's worst air quality.
I used to live a bit further north in Utah, in the mountains. The weather was much more diverse up there. However, it would often be ranked as having the worst air in the country during the winter, when we got the "inversion" thing. (I still don't fully understand how the inversion works. I'm not good at science-y stuff :-p) Visibility could drop to like 10 meters when that happened. Scary as pluck.
CarrionCrow: Yes, it looks interesting to me as well. Figured I'd eventually get it on sale since my whole system for game hoarding falls apart a bit if I start paying retail price for everything.

It sounds like you've got things balanced well. Most of the time it's healthy, so you can indulge without it being a problem.
I hope I'll have some time to play it soon, but things being rather busy it might get pushed back a bit. And yep, I try to avoid paying retail as well, partially because I just can't afford it. I like games but I have to keep in mind that I don't have any real income and am dependent mostly on student loans right now (and a bit from my parents).

Yeah, I figure I can indulge every once in a while, since I'm mostly a responsible person when it comes to food. :P My system is: you can't eat what you don't have in your cupboard, so I just avoid buying candy and such.