It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Let's get the ball rolling for 2018 :)!

Hard West

I normally enjoy turn-based combat games, so I thought I would enjoy this one. However, this game just did not fit well with me for the following reasons:

- Uneven/unfair combat mechanics. Specifically: the enemy has an overwatch ability, but the player does not.
- Checkpoint saves only. (Oh how I loathe thee, checkpoint saves!) To be fair, there is a quicksave feature which is dubbed experimental (or similar term), I did not attempt it because I don't want to risk using a not-fully-implemented feature which may end up messing up the whole game at a later point.
- Mostly text-based choose-your-own-adventure type minigame between tactical battles where random choices have random effects. This just felt really out of place to me, and not at all enjoyable in my opinion.

In all fairness I did not progress very far before quitting, but I had had enough by that point anyway.
01kipper: Let's get the ball rolling for 2018 :)!

Hard West

I normally enjoy turn-based combat games, so I thought I would enjoy this one. However, this game just did not fit well with me for the following reasons:

- Uneven/unfair combat mechanics. Specifically: the enemy has an overwatch ability, but the player does not.
- Checkpoint saves only. (Oh how I loathe thee, checkpoint saves!) To be fair, there is a quicksave feature which is dubbed experimental (or similar term), I did not attempt it because I don't want to risk using a not-fully-implemented feature which may end up messing up the whole game at a later point.
- Mostly text-based choose-your-own-adventure type minigame between tactical battles where random choices have random effects. This just felt really out of place to me, and not at all enjoyable in my opinion.

In all fairness I did not progress very far before quitting, but I had had enough by that point anyway.
Thanks for saving me the download. :D
It also has movement points, right?
01kipper: Specifically: the enemy has an overwatch ability, but the player does not.
This is the most disappointing thing to me (and I also hate checkpoints). I'll still probably give the game a go, but it's going to drop a lot further down the 'to play' list now.
tinyE: It also has movement points, right?
It's an "Action Point" system.

At the start of the game (which is only as far as I got), each character has two Action Points. Movement can cost one or two points (depending on how far you move), Reloading costs one point (I think you can reload twice if you need to), and attacking costs one point but ends your turn so it has to be the last action.
Cod: ww2
Much the same as any other cod after 2, checkpoint saves, qte's, linear, group combat, and that tank mission is probably the worse controller ever. Wouldn't recommended it to anyone other than the usual cod crowd.
3/10, as graphically good, and the infiltration mission is reasonably interesting.
turn-based? ewwwwww
nightcraw1er.488: Cod: ww2
Much the same as any other cod after 2, checkpoint saves, qte's, linear, group combat, and that tank mission is probably the worse controller ever. Wouldn't recommended it to anyone other than the usual cod crowd.
3/10, as graphically good, and the infiltration mission is reasonably interesting.
yeah, the campaign looks terrible as does the multiplayer. optic sights in world war 2? u wot m8?
Post edited January 03, 2018 by swsoboleski89
high rated
This thread is an important reminder of the two reasons we buy games - 1) to fill up our backlog, and 2) to quit when they annoy us so that we can get to other items in our backlog.

I have yet to quit anything in 2018, but the year is still young! I look forward to many ragequits to come!
bler144: This thread is an important reminder of the two reasons we buy games - 1) to fill up our backlog, and 2) to quit when they annoy us so that we can get to other items in our backlog.

I have yet to quit anything in 2018, but the year is still young! I look forward to many ragequits to come!
i must be the only gamer who doesn't have a backlog of games
bler144: This thread is an important reminder of the two reasons we buy games - 1) to fill up our backlog, and 2) to quit when they annoy us so that we can get to other items in our backlog.

swsoboleski89: i must be the only gamer who doesn't have a backlog of games
I never did til I started hanging out here on the forums. First I got pulled into the mystical allure of the double insomnia sale, and it's been downhill since then.

42 free games, 302 bundles and 456 giveaways later I have a modest backlog by local standards.
bler144: ...I have a modest backlog by local standards.
Thats not a backlog, wait till you get into the thousands!

Back on topic, am playing Wolfenstein 2 currently and am contemplating binning that as well. Its a shame as 1 and NOrder, were pretty good, but this one is like a series of FMV's strung together with a small bit of corridor shooter. Gone are most of the enjoyable parts of the first, and the pretty pointless "storyline" really just adds to the pain - started skipping it already. Might bin it and jump onto Farcry 3 (as 4 was pretty good).
Homeworld 2

I don't know what kind of sick fuck designed that thing but 800 against 5 is not what I call a fun game. :P

And EVERY TIME I stuck with a mission, kept trying over and over and over and over and finally FINALLY stopped the big assault, sure enough, "ALERT: Three more Carriers have warped in!" I lose 60, and I mean 60 Frigates, and what do I get as a reward....ANOTHER WAVE!? XD
01kipper: Specifically: the enemy has an overwatch ability, but the player does not.
GR00T: This is the most disappointing thing to me (and I also hate checkpoints). I'll still probably give the game a go, but it's going to drop a lot further down the 'to play' list now.
Incidentally I started the game today before reading your posts. And I've noticed that when you start a new game, you can toggle on and off several options or "mods", including one that deactivates the enemies' overwatch ability (sadly, you can't toggle on overwatch for player characters though).

I haven't played much of the game yet, but "checkpoints" seems a little misleading. From what I've seen, that only means that if you fail a mission, you have to restart it from scratch, and at least the first missions I've seen weren't that long, just combat scenarios with 5-6 opponents. I think for a game like this, that's nothing unusual. Many tactical turn-based games don't allow you to save in the middle of a combat scenario. Although I have to concede that Hard West doesn't seem very generous with regard to mistakes; so far I had to restart only one mission, and it wasn't such a big deal, but it was due to one wrong move only.
Post edited January 21, 2018 by Leroux
Leroux: Incidentally I started the game today before reading your posts. And I've noticed that when you start a new game, you can toggle on and off several options or "mods", including one that deactivates the enemies' overwatch ability (sadly, you can't toggle on overwatch for player characters though).
I didn't notice that, that's an important option.

Leroux: I haven't played much of the game yet, but "checkpoints" seems a little misleading. From what I've seen, that only means that if you fail a mission, you have to restart it from scratch, and at least the first missions I've seen weren't that long, just combat scenarios with 5-6 opponents. I think for a game like this, that's nothing unusual. Many tactical turn-based games don't allow you to save in the middle of a combat scenario. Although I have to concede that Hard West doesn't seem very generous with regard to mistakes; so far I had to restart only one mission, and it wasn't such a big deal, but it was due to one wrong move only.
My complaint about checkpoint saves isn't that you can't save in the middle of a combat, it's that you have no control over your saves at all, the games saves when it decides to. You can't keep multiple saves and reload previous saves.
GR00T: This is the most disappointing thing to me (and I also hate checkpoints). I'll still probably give the game a go, but it's going to drop a lot further down the 'to play' list now.
Leroux: Incidentally I started the game today before reading your posts. And I've noticed that when you start a new game, you can toggle on and off several options or "mods", including one that deactivates the enemies' overwatch ability (sadly, you can't toggle on overwatch for player characters though).

I haven't played much of the game yet, but "checkpoints" seems a little misleading. From what I've seen, that only means that if you fail a mission, you have to restart it from scratch, and at least the first missions I've seen weren't that long, just combat scenarios with 5-6 opponents. I think for a game like this, that's nothing unusual. Many tactical turn-based games don't allow you to save in the middle of a combat scenario. Although I have to concede that Hard West doesn't seem very generous with regard to mistakes; so far I had to restart only one mission, and it wasn't such a big deal, but it was due to one wrong move only.
Ah, that sounds far better. Thanks for the update.
01kipper: My complaint about checkpoint saves isn't that you can't save in the middle of a combat, it's that you have no control over your saves at all, the games saves when it decides to. You can't keep multiple saves and reload previous saves.
Ah, I see. Yeah, that's true.