It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Matewis: Oh I'm a huge pop2 fan, but I still hate small parts of it. That damned skeleton bit on the raggedy bridge nearly did me in. What made you quit? Those annoying floating heads by any chance?
Klumpen0815: Everything.
The fighting "system", the fact that you have to walk a fair bit into the next screen in order for it to switch, the many random deaths you can't avoid at all if you play the level for the first time, the graphics compared to SNES PoP1, the controls, 90% of the map design in general.

It's abysmal.
Hmm k can't say I found any faults in any of those areas. Personally I loved the level design (except that stupid bridge) and graphics. The combat could be a bit janky sometimes but the only real issue I had with it was that one/two of the later levels had too much of it.
Have you played the dos version of pop1? The snes version if a completely different game from what I can remember.

edit: Oh right, I see you played the snes version of pop2. Yeah I don't know that one at all. Looks like the level design is similar or the same, but the graphics are way, way worse compared to the dos version, eg.
Attachments:
snes.png (23 Kb)
dos.png (181 Kb)
Post edited February 01, 2018 by Matewis
Going to say I'm quitting Realm Grinder.

After thinking I was done with my idle/clicker addiction of 2017, I kinda suckered myself back into this one.

And I will say, the basic concept is pretty great. First impression is also very good - sure the graphics are lame and also arguably completely irrelevant. But this game starts with 6 different factions that each play slightly different.

And after you play for a bit, you learn that unlocking the "top tier" bonus for each faction allows you to use that bonus while playing other factions. And then you unlock entirely new factions and OMG it's kind of exciting!

And then a week passes and you feel like your kinda dead in the water.

Pros:
-Complex systems, lots of features to unlock

Cons:
-Unlocking most of those features is quite opaque. I unlocked "archaeology" for example, and using it at first gives you bonuses. So one might assume you should do it as much as you can afford with your coinage! That is not, however, the case. And if you screw it up, unless you're pumping actual $$ into the game, you've actually set your progression back quite a bit. And yet the game won't tell you - it doesn't really tell you much at all. Read the wiki and/or forums to know anything beyond basics.

-Unless you're paying real money (and based on the cost of rubies, some pretty significant $$ at that), after that first newbie burst, the pace of growth is really quite slow compared to the scale of the game. In a good run you're probably starting to cap out at anywhere from 5-50x growth. Which in many games would be pretty strong - here the scale seems really remarkably steep.

-Most of the factions, after that first run, are pretty terrible. The fact that there are factions to suit different playstyles is irrelevant when most of them are just too weak to even make a dent. You will have long stretches of having 1, maybe 2 choices (depending on how you used your archaeology), and neither of those does anything at all when idle, since they're both reliant on actively clicking like a fiend.

If you happen to like that playstyle, and have a lot of time to dedicate to being present to maintain it, then swell.
I've never quit on a game before until I attempted Getting Over It.
Kingdom (Classic)

This is a 2D strategy/management game where you grow your kingdom by day and defend it against baddies by night. Most things are out of your hands, you just assign different jobs and tasks to your followers and they carry them out. Almost nothing is explained to the player, you have to experiment to discover what upgrades do and their usefulness.

I found the game quite fun at the start when you’re going through this learning stage, however once I got the hang of the game it started to become less interesting. However, what really ruined my enjoyment of the game is the random generation of the world each time you play :(.

For example, the first time my kingdom was growing quite large I was struggling to keep tabs on both sides or explore very far beyond them because my horse tired very easily. My kingdom was eventually overrun, and the next time I played I found a horse upgrade very close to my starting location which made the entire game MUCH easier and less frustrating!!! As another example, in one game I could not expand very efficiently in one of the directions because there were NO locations on which to build walls for an extremely long distance.

Personally I feel that the game would have been greatly improved by hand-designed levels rather than the frustratingly random garbage we’re given. It’s a shame because otherwise it’s quite fun.

Overall I wouldn’t recommend this game unless you’re into randomly generated games.
Post edited February 05, 2018 by 01kipper
Age of wonders 3....kind of

it just dosen't click with me for some reason, and the whole thing is becoming tiresome.

does anybody else has this problem?
Post edited February 05, 2018 by Jacob_1994
Outlaws (1997), the Spaghetti western-themed shooter by Lucasarts.
Stopped playing and uninstalled after I got stuck in that gear collecting part in Level 5. Not a bad game, but I don't like the shooting much (had to play on the easiest level...above that it's too hard for me) and the level design felt quite uninspired. No real variety in enemies too. Recently played through Dark forces which is more archaic...but liked that one a lot better than Outlaws.
Outlaws has very nice cutscenes though, watched the rest of them on Youtube. Given that I got it on a sale I can't really complain.
Fallout IV: I am so SO SO sick of the 9,999,999,999,999,999,999 Quests that and the fact that bethsoft Screwed up the game so bad I mean after 2 hours of play you have to exit the game and restart so the damn game doesn't crash it's still a massive crash a thon even today and bethsoft can't be bothered to fix it!
muntdefems: Wordscapes (Android)

Been playing this one for months on end, almost every day. It's a chill and relaxing crossword game, with literally thousands of differents levels, plus a new daily puzzle every day. For non-native English speakers it's also quite educational, as you'll inevitably learn new words -- I know I have, though most of those I haven't bothered to look up their meaning. :P
I've been playing for about 2 months. Still going, though for the most part now I'm only doing the daily puzzle unless I have bored time waiting around for a meeting or something. It is pretty relaxing, but definitely repetitive.

I do think the dictionary they're using is a bit wonky. Some common short-versions are acceptable (lab) and others are not (prep). Likewise, common Spanglish words aren't accepted, but the occasional Greek or French word seems to go through. In puzzles that accept 3 letter words where you have C,O,R, the game will accept "orc," but not "roc" despite being fairly equivalent fantasy words, and eventually I discovered it will also take "cor" which is not American English, in any case (cockney and/or Hebrew) which other spellings are.

It's not just that they didn't include x word in the puzzle, since you get bonus points for accepted words that aren't in the puzzle, so it's something about the underlying dictionary that's some bizarre mishmash.
Litil Divil

I thought it's a point'n'click adventure of some kind but it's something entirely different and hard for the wrong reasons.
Your worst enemies are the controls, lack of viewing distance, random collisions and way too far away save spots and health items. You lose health by the passing of time alone and some traps obviously can't really be avoided (fire breath).
I thought you might at least get your health back when sleeping in the save spots but you don't so I accidentally made a save shortly before dying over my old one in the second floor which has barely any health items at all.

The gameplay is walking around corridors with time pressure, avoiding/triggering traps you can't see until they are right in front of you and doing random badly designed mini games in rooms that disappear once they are solved.

Not good, avoid.
Post edited February 25, 2018 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: Litil Divil

I thought it's a point'n'click adventure of some kind but it's something entirely different and hard for the wrong reasons.
Your worst enemies are the controls, lack of viewing distance, random collisions and way too far away save spots and health items. You lose health by the passing of time alone and some traps obviously can't really be avoided (fire breath).
I thought you might at least get your health back when sleeping in the save spots but you don't so I accidentally made a save shortly before dying over my old one in the second floor which has barely any health items at all.

The gameplay is walking around corridors with time pressure, avoiding/triggering traps you can't see until they are right in front of you and doing random badly designed mini games in rooms that disappear once they are solved.

Not good, avoid.
I've actually finished it 2 or 3 years ago for the first time (no nostalgia factor) and I still think it was a waste of time so yeah I do agree with you: avoid
I quited Battlefield 1 halfway.

The single player part of the game consists of 5 War Stories, following 5 different characters in 5 different theatres of war and I finished 2-and-a-half war story. But with the remaining stories I get hindered a lot by lagging framerates. Avanti Savoia is completely unplayable and while the land mission in Friends in High Places and the Nothing is Written stories do load and play, it's frustrating if the game starts lagging when enemies get active and I find myself struggling with the lagging image as well as the battlefield itself.

I have a core i3 2120 CPU and a Radeon RX 460 GPU and the way they struggle with Battlefield 1, led me to decide to quit and finish the game sometime later if I ever upgrade my system to a Ryzen 5 CPU and maybe an RX 570 or 670 by that time.
Post edited February 28, 2018 by DubConqueror
Also quited halfway: Alan Wake.

I couldn't get past the point where you have to fight off the undead ghost murderers, or whatever they are, while being attacked by a shovel that tries to crush you. You have to cross a factory yard and open a gate while you stave off the attacks. But the gate opens very slowly and in this game reloading and running is realistically slow as well, just like in real life. Making Alan Wake just as likely to survive as if this were happening for real: not. Not with me controlling the character anyways.

I have similar problems with difficult fights in Deadfall Adventures and Tomb Raider. I'm not good at games in which succes depends more on my own agility with the mouse than with the characters abilities, like it would be in a good RPG. I suck at action games apparently. Unluckily I have a lot of action games in my backlog, especially on Steam. Games like Bloodrayne, Mad Max, Ryse: Son of Rome, more Tomb Raider games.

Oh, and I just started the Assassin's Creed series, starting off with the first game on GOG and from various sales and giveaways I got AC2-4 on UPlay. I wonder how I will be doing there?
Post edited March 01, 2018 by DubConqueror
and... Tomb Raider quited as well.

Same story as Deadfall Adventures and Alan Wake: an action game where I run into a chokepoint in the game where there's a battle I just keep losing over and over each time I try. Like I said, I suck at action games where succes depends on my agility with the mouse or in this case a controller, instead of the character's skill.
DubConqueror: Also quited halfway: Alan Wake.

I couldn't get past the point where you have to fight off the undead ghost murderers, or whatever they are, while being attacked by a shovel that tries to crush you. You have to cross a factory yard and open a gate while you stave off the attacks. But the gate opens very slowly and in this game reloading and running is realistically slow as well, just like in real life. Making Alan Wake just as likely to survive as if this were happening for real: not. Not with me controlling the character anyways.

I have similar problems with difficult fights in Deadfall Adventures and Tomb Raider. I'm not good at games in which succes depends more on my own agility with the mouse than with the characters abilities, like it would be in a good RPG. I suck at action games apparently. Unluckily I have a lot of action games in my backlog, especially on Steam. Games like Bloodrayne, Mad Max, Ryse: Son of Rome, more Tomb Raider games.

Oh, and I just started the Assassin's Creed series, starting off with the first game on GOG and from various sales and giveaways I got AC2-4 on UPlay. I wonder how I will be doing there?
I'm not trying to convince you to get back to the game because it's definitely an action game, requiring a lot of reflex and flexibility but...

...but how is your resource managing? I had a hard time with Alan Wake too but then I decided to restart the game and be more creative while fighting enemies. In many cases you don't need to kill everybody - if you reach a next checkpoint / area full of light all of your enemies will disappear. So the best strategy is to avoiding them as much as possible, trying to scare them off with your flashlight, dodging a lot and proceeding to your next checkpoint. Sure, sometimes you have to shoot an enemy or two to make it happen but when you reach unskippable fight you should have more ammo and flares (they are particularly important in situation you've mentioned) and it should be much easier to deal with these hordes you HAVE to kill to progress.
Well, I didn't die because of lack of ammo, I still had revolver ammo, shotgun ammo, batteries and flares left each time I died, it's really a case of reflexes not being fast enough. Due to my mental illness, I'm mostly tired all of the time (and thus not very 'fit' reflex-wise) and seek in games a refuge without insurmountable problems, so I'll just try to find games that are more easy for me and stay clear of buying action games in the future, just like I stay clear of RTS games where I always get overwhelmed by too many tasks at hand in real time at the same time.