It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Mostly quit Shadow War: Armageddon tabletop boardgame because it's not well balanced. Which is a shame because it's a very good little turn based, small strike team rpg.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II. Every time a cutscene would play, the screen suddenly became extremely letter-boxed, which always instantly ruins my immersion. When I searched the web for a solution, the closest thing I found was a guy on Steam forums suggesting to use a hex editor to fix the problem. After concluding that I probably won't be able to figure out how to make the cutscenes display properly, I quit.
Funny you should mention that as the cutscenes in SWTOR are live shots. You can even see other players in the background.

One of the most recent xpacs, they couldn't get the main 16 voice actors back to record new dialog (that was during the VA strike) and they fell back to the letter box/ nothing spoken by the character scenes and a lot of folks complained.
I quit 7 Deadly Sins recently. It's a brand new game, I know, but it's pretty crap.
Deadlings: Rotten Edition

The whole idea is more than nice. You need to leave the level with zombies of a few different types and different abilities. Clean graphics, funny approach to zombie theme and strong puzzle aspect told me that there will be a lot of fun. Unfortunately the game is extremely fast-paced, controls are crap (game is mouse-focused, which is strange in game sharing gameplay style with platformers) and almost every mistake results in repeating a level. Not for me, sorry.
Only been playing for 2 days, and will probably dabble with it now and then, but going to quit Majesty Gold at least in terms of the goal of beating the game in this lifetime.

While I mostly enjoy the game design, the scenario designs, OTOH, strike me as pretty poor and incredibly annoying. The difficulty comes primarily through:

a) certain game systems being opaque, and
b) gimmickry overload

There are 4-5 "Beginner" levels, and those are actually pretty good for learning some basic skills and strategy. But move on to the "Advanced" (not even the "expert") levels, and the game's design seems to be about throwing major waves at you early in the game and seeing if you're patient enough to sort out the counter.

E.g. In "Elven Treachery," you will be beset by 3-4 enemy archers around the time you've finished 2 buildings (even playing on slowest setting so as to not waste even a millisecond that can be avoided). They can, however, be scared off by placing towers, even though said towers really aren't strong enough to take them down. If you don't have the towers down fast, though, they'll kill your workers faster than the workers can build any towers. And if you lay them down at the start, you have a pretty limited turf you can build in from explored terrain around your castle.

The winning strat seems to involve either hunkering down and trying to master the game's economic systems (such as they are) to an economic victory, or eschewing any normal fighting and sitting tight until you can crank out end-game paladins to ROFLstomp them before your 30 day timer runs out. Pretty precise paths to execute.

Other than what you learn as a player, you don't level up, acquire items, or otherwise become stronger as you advance through the various levels, so the game will really challenge you to figure out all the systems and various counters the devs had in mind for that scenario. So if you have a lot of time and patience, and are willing to put up with the fact that the game relies on a lot of RNG precisely because you don't control any units directly, there is some depth here.

But I'm still a bit unclear how one is supposed to be the expansion "beginner" level where your dinky town is under attach from the start by a lvl 35 cleric that will one-shot all your workers before you've built anything at all. Not sure if that's a bug (a few posts suggested it was a Windows 10 bug), or just some trick you learn, or if you're supposed to restart 40 times until you find whatever the kryptonite of that unit is that you might have available to you. I guess I just wasn't excited enough to stick around and find out. Maybe someday.

In terms of the multiple advanced levels I tried out, I read several guides, tried out some of the tips, and either they don't work, or they just are so nitpicky as to not be fun in executing.

I really like the idea of this game, and remembered why I enjoyed tinkering around when I played a demo long, long ago, but the mid/late game really isn't my thing, but still, I felt like I got my $2.49 of enjoyment out of it before we decided to break up.
Post edited March 19, 2018 by bler144
muntdefems:
I know you said you were done, but I just wanted to suggest this anyway.

https://github.com/kebernet/shortyz
Post edited March 19, 2018 by Darvond
Darvond: I know you said you were done, but I just wanted to suggest this anyway.

https://github.com/kebernet/shortyz
Nice! I'll give it a try, thanks. :)
Jacob_1994: Age of wonders 3....kind of

it just dosen't click with me for some reason, and the whole thing is becoming tiresome.

does anybody else has this problem?
Yup! I do. Verbatum.

(I also disllike the combo Triumph and eagles...)
bler144: Majesty Gold
Majesty is one of my favorite games so I can't let it go ;) It seems you may have fallen into "choose your missions freely" trap so allow me to give you a few hints and comments:
- Majesty is a hard game, same missions very hard. No point to argue about it
- Northern expansion is only for people who already mastered the base game so don't try to play it before finishing the original campaign. The beginner quest in Northern Expansion means it's the easiest mission from this expansion but still harder than 95% missions from the base game.
- Elven Treachery is a unlockable mission - you have to fulfill certain requirements before you can access it. And every enlockable mission is harder then the average from a particular group which means that this particular mission is the hardest one from advanced missions. So it's not a good idea to play it before finishing other advanced missions.

I'm aware it is difficult to know it beforehand but if you try to beat some missions "in wrong order" things can get downhill pretty fast. It's not the best way to design a game, I agree.

The thing you should learn first is advantages and disadvantages of certain heroes. You can't really pick them randomly, some missions are (almost) impossible to beat with particular heroes build while much easier if you pick the right one. The best part of the game is learning which heroes to hire in which mission. And believe me it's not as difficult as it may seem at the beginning. There are some well known tricks like:
- don't hire healers if you fight other heroes (they may heal your enemies too - they are pacifist)
- build Temple of Krypta if you are facing a lot of long range enemies (skeletons are almost immune to arrows so they will take down every archer)
- never hire wizards if you are facing vampires (magic mirror spell)
There are more advanced strategies but sharing them kills the fun you can have. But let me assure once again: it's not a blind process. You can really see what are advantages and disadvantages of every hero and with time you can use them efficiently. The best way to do it is replaying missions which you barely won. See if you can do it better, perhaps other choices of heroes will be better (or worse). This way you may learn the game and proceed with more difficult missions.
Age of Wonders 2: Shadow Magic

Yeah I know I know...it's one of the greatest TBS game around. Although I loved the HOMM series, mainly 2, 3 and 5, there's something about AoW2:SM that leaves me kinda meh... I think mainly it's the non-intuitive interface that I really disliked. Maybe one day I'll give it another go.
Post edited March 20, 2018 by poulpy72
bler144: Majesty Gold
Ghorpm: Majesty is one of my favorite games so I can't let it go ;) It seems you may have fallen into "choose your missions freely" trap so allow me to give you a few hints and comments:
- Majesty is a hard game, same missions very hard. No point to argue about it
- Northern expansion is only for people who already mastered the base game so don't try to play it before finishing the original campaign. The beginner quest in Northern Expansion means it's the easiest mission from this expansion but still harder than 95% missions from the base game.
- Elven Treachery is a unlockable mission - you have to fulfill certain requirements before you can access it. And every enlockable mission is harder then the average from a particular group which means that this particular mission is the hardest one from advanced missions. So it's not a good idea to play it before finishing other advanced missions.

I'm aware it is difficult to know it beforehand but if you try to beat some missions "in wrong order" things can get downhill pretty fast. It's not the best way to design a game, I agree.

The thing you should learn first is advantages and disadvantages of certain heroes. You can't really pick them randomly, some missions are (almost) impossible to beat with particular heroes build while much easier if you pick the right one. The best part of the game is learning which heroes to hire in which mission. And believe me it's not as difficult as it may seem at the beginning. There are some well known tricks like:
- don't hire healers if you fight other heroes (they may heal your enemies too - they are pacifist)
- build Temple of Krypta if you are facing a lot of long range enemies (skeletons are almost immune to arrows so they will take down every archer)
- never hire wizards if you are facing vampires (magic mirror spell)
There are more advanced strategies but sharing them kills the fun you can have. But let me assure once again: it's not a blind process. You can really see what are advantages and disadvantages of every hero and with time you can use them efficiently. The best way to do it is replaying missions which you barely won. See if you can do it better, perhaps other choices of heroes will be better (or worse). This way you may learn the game and proceed with more difficult missions.
Thanks - will refer back to this when I pick it up again. :)

The game doesn't necessarily need to hand-hold players all the way, but a little more clarity on what buildings/heroes do and suggested quest order would definitely go a long way. I was definitely using healers in several of my Elven betrayal attempts, and since you're rarely watching any given hero I didn't pick up on that problem. I did manage to get the upper hand and managed to wipe out 2 of 4 camps, just ran out of days to complete. Didn't even come close trying the economic path to victory.

Once I hit advanced I kind of sampled 4-5 of them and really wasn't sure what lessons to apply from what I'd learned in the beginner ones.
Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Not even a host of mods could save this turd from sinking. Had hopes that a game released nine years after the original and the fourth using the same engine, might have improved somewhat, but I was wrong. I really gave it a chance, despite all the flaws, but in the end I just gave up as they were too frustrating. Terrible UI, crappy controls, horribly broken quests, crashes galore.

X Rebirth

Compared to the other X games, I just couldn't get into this one. Started out with the main campaign and simply lost interest. I didn't mind being confined to one ship, but didn't find the campaign quests at all interesting enough. Being able to walk around stations was novel at first, but just became bland and repetitive. The game itself essentially felt like a beta for what the developers may have in mind for the future of the X series. Might give it another try in the future, but won't be in any rush.

Dragon's Dogma - Dark Arisen

Completed the main campaign, but couldn't be bothered with the Dark Arisen expansion or Bitterblack Isle dungeon, which just struck me as a "stuff" hunt for outfits and weapons. The repetitiveness of aspects in the main game just seemed amplified tenfold, making it the game seem more like a chore than fun.

Currently enjoying playing Dying Light: The Following, Mount & Blade: Warband (with the Brytenwalda mod), The Last Express.
Post edited March 21, 2018 by HeathGCF
HeathGCF: Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships
I really gave it a chance, despite all the flaws, but in the end I just gave up as they were too frustrating. Terrible UI, crappy controls,
I agree wholeheartedly, I think this game has the worst UI I have ever tried to suffer through.
HeathGCF: Dragon's Dogma - Dark Arisen

Completed the main campaign, but couldn't be bothered with the Dark Arisen expansion or Bitterblack Isle dungeon, which just struck me as a "stuff" hunt for outfits and weapons. The repetitiveness of aspects in the main game just seemed amplified tenfold, making it the game seem more like a chore than fun.
I did the same as you, but labeled that as "finished". After all you did complete the main campaign. ;)
(I guess that means we kind of finished Dragon's Dogma but gave up on Dark Arisen.)
Post edited March 21, 2018 by Leroux
bler144: since you're rarely watching any given hero
And that's a mistake! You should really spend some time observing your heroes. What they do, how they react to certain events and so on. This way you can learn the aforementioned advantages and disadvantages of each of them and eventually be confident enough to pick right build for a specific mission.

For example both, Adept and Solarus are quite useful for defending your city but they do it in a different way: Adepts like patrolling the city, running around from one edge to the other while Solarii like to visit guardhouses. So in missions with swarm of weak enemies coming from every direction Adepts are very important. But if there is a lair that spawns a powerful and aggressive creature (vampire, dragon...) it's good to build two guardhouses on the front and hire Solarii. At least one of them is likely to be around during an attack so the beast won't destroy your buildings.

There are many examples of such strategies but you can learn them by watching your heroes carefully. It is really fun to do so but you have to accept that you will be defeated many times before you learn what your heroes can do.