It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

01kipper: My complaint about checkpoint saves isn't that you can't save in the middle of a combat, it's that you have no control over your saves at all, the games saves when it decides to. You can't keep multiple saves and reload previous saves.
I didn't play the game yet, but I see in the changelog that there is a quicksave function but you have to enable it in the Options. Read the changelog for more details.

Another thing you can do with games that have only one save slot, is to make backups for the save file to another location. Of course, that means alt-tabbing or playing in windowed screen.
I had a long post about Happy Home Designer, but the TL;DR: is that it doesn't have any longevity, a lot of things are redundant, and they were really pushing amiibo.
After 2+ hours I've dropped SteamWorld Heist.
Probably I'm just dumb, but I don't like it.
ciemnogrodzianin: After 2+ hours I've dropped SteamWorld Heist.
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
ciemnogrodzianin: After 2+ hours I've dropped SteamWorld Heist.
tinyE: YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
Another one who joins the club. :P

Well, in my case I did like it. Quite a lot, in fact. But pretty early on in the game I unexpectedly hit a difficulty spike: there was a mission that I just couldn't beat. I guess I was playing the game with a wrong approach and/or equipment. Will try it again in the future for sure, though.
tinyE: YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
muntdefems: Another one who joins the club. :P

Well, in my case I did like it. Quite a lot, in fact. But pretty early on in the game I unexpectedly hit a difficulty spike: there was a mission that I just couldn't beat. I guess I was playing the game with a wrong approach and/or equipment. Will try it again in the future for sure, though.
However, I loved StreamWorld Dig.
tinyE: However, I loved StreamWorld Dig.
Me too. That's the only reason why I'll give Heist a second chance.
muntdefems: Well, in my case I did like it. Quite a lot, in fact. But pretty early on in the game I unexpectedly hit a difficulty spike: there was a mission that I just couldn't beat. I guess I was playing the game with a wrong approach and/or equipment. Will try it again in the future for sure, though.
I was lowering difficulty level, because had some problems too. Characters you control have only a few HP and may be easily killed with one-two enemy shots. I'm usually play agressive strategies focused on heavy attack power (kill the enemy before being killed), which is totally useless here. I suppose it is possible to improve your defence with some skills or inventory, but I didn't like the whole system, it remind me some simplified mechanics from mobile games. There is no fun like in e.g. dark Dungeon Rats where dying and restarting was nice challenge and real pleasure. In case of this game - I don't know. I just don't like it.

Is the gameplay of Streamworld Dig similar to Heist or these games are something totally different (trailers suggest second answer)? Perhaps in case of SH it's also important that I was expecting something totally different...
tinyE: However, I loved StreamWorld Dig.
Hm, it may be answer I'm looking for...
Post edited January 25, 2018 by ciemnogrodzianin
ciemnogrodzianin: Is the gameplay of Steamworld Dig similar to Heist or these games are something totally different (trailers suggest second answer)? Perhaps in case of SH it's also important that I was expecting something totally different...
Yep, your intuition is right: it's totally different than Heist. It's a real-time platformer-metroidvania-ish. I've only played the first one, and I did it long ago, but I don't remember the enemies there being much of a threat. It's more about unlocking new abilities and using them to solve mild environmental puzzles.

ciemnogrodzianin: I'm usually play agressive strategies focused on heavy attack power (kill the enemy before being killed), which is totally useless here.
I, on the other hand, opted for the opposite approach. Slowly crawling through the level, taking out enemies one (or as few as possible) at a time. The problem with that strategy is when they introduce the alarm system, which forces you to rush through the level before reinforcements arrive. That's when I was invariably massacred either by the original mobs in the level, the reinforcements, or those goddamn turrets. :\
Post edited January 25, 2018 by muntdefems
I've more or less quit Elex. As much as I'd like to love it, it's just...not good so far. Dialogue is normally a point in Piranha Bytes' favor but the writing in Elex that I've encountered has been terrible and not in a "this is actually passable" way. Gameplay is a step down compared to the Gothic series and Risen 1 and only the jetpack seems fun. The worldbuilding, another Piranha Bytes' specialty is fairly uninspired in Elex, with the factions being nothing more than slightly glorified character builds. Risen 1 also had the "this faction is actually a character build" style factions but at least it had writing that redeemed them, so far Elex does not.

I'm gonna sink another few hours into it but I said that last week and didn't do it so yeah. It's probably just gonna end up being deleted off my hard drive and forgotten completely in a few months. Too bad, I was somewhat hyped about it, and it's the most expensive game I've bought at/near launch in recent years.
Wordscapes (Android)

Been playing this one for months on end, almost every day. It's a chill and relaxing crossword game, with literally thousands of differents levels, plus a new daily puzzle every day. For non-native English speakers it's also quite educational, as you'll inevitably learn new words -- I know I have, though most of those I haven't bothered to look up their meaning. :P

Apart from its entertaining and educational virtues, it's also quite aesthetically pleasing with its beautiful background landscape (hence its name) pictures. Being it a free game, it annoys you every couple of levels with an add, but you can easily avoid them by going offline while playing it (it wasn't a big problem for me as I usually played it at night in bed right before falling asleep).

I've had great fun with this game, but I've finally decided to quit it for two main reasons:

1) After thousands of levels it was bound to get repetitive, and it certainly did.

2) As of late, and after completing a puzzle (but sometimes even during the puzzle), my phone freezed for quite a long time.

At first I put the blame for the freezes on the fact that my phone's internal storage was almost full, but after doing a bit of a clean-up and freeing more than half of its capacity, the game kept on freezing almost every other level. I still don't know what was causing the freezes, but I didn't want to enquire further. I just took it as a signal that I was done with this game and I unceremoniously proceeded to uninstall it.
muntdefems: Wordscapes
I've checked the game hoping for some educational value, but the game itself does not provide anything like that. Quite addictive, indeed, but nope, thank you. One more stage and I'm going to quit ;)
Prince of Persia 2 (SNES)

I aborted it in level 5 because there are just so many terrible game design flaws that I rather continue playing PoP1 over and over again like I always did.
Post edited February 01, 2018 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: Prince of Persia 2 (SNES)

I aborted it in level 5 because there are just so many terrible game design flaws that I rather continue playing PoP1 over and over again like I always did.
Oh I'm a huge pop2 fan, but I still hate small parts of it. That damned skeleton bit on the raggedy bridge nearly did me in. What made you quit? Those annoying floating heads by any chance?
Klumpen0815: Prince of Persia 2 (SNES)

Matewis: Oh I'm a huge pop2 fan, but I still hate small parts of it. That damned skeleton bit on the raggedy bridge nearly did me in. What made you quit? Those annoying floating heads by any chance?
Everything.
The fighting "system", the fact that you have to walk a fair bit into the next screen in order for it to switch, the many random deaths you can't avoid at all if you play the level for the first time, the graphics compared to SNES PoP1, the controls, 90% of the map design in general.

It's abysmal.
Post edited February 01, 2018 by Klumpen0815