It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Quantum Break
One of the rare games that I've bought on Steam... (stupid Microsoft!)
Bastion
Played it once on my friend's laptop, now giving it a shot because I love the game concept and feels so nostalgic
Oh and Yu-Gi-Oh! Worldwide Edition: Stairway to The Destined Duel on GBA (emulated)
Played it because I'm interested in Yu-Gi-Oh!'s mechanics recently, and people told me that it's is the best game for beginners
Post edited November 29, 2022 by Takashi_Hafuza
After finishing my grand adventure in Witcher 1-2-3 world, I want to play a more 'light' RPG, so I'm now playing Final Fantasy 1 on PSP.
It seems like this version is one of the best remakes Square Enix has made, while the graphic and the UI is improved the feeling of the original has still remained.
I chose my guys to Fighter/Thief/White Mage/Black Mage as a typical one. They now got a ship and sailing for a while.
Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
HIRO kun: After finishing my grand adventure in Witcher 1-2-3 world, I want to play a more 'light' RPG, so I'm now playing Final Fantasy 1 on PSP.
It seems like this version is one of the best remakes Square Enix has made, while the graphic and the UI is improved the feeling of the original has still remained.
I chose my guys to Fighter/Thief/White Mage/Black Mage as a typical one. They now got a ship and sailing for a while.
Personally, I found that GBA version (on which the PSP version is based) to be too easy, if we don't count the added boss fights or the final boss. They did improve class balance (in particular, the Thief class), but they did so by making the party more powerful, but didn't make the enemies stronger to compensate. Also, you level up too fast (something that, to my understanding, was partially rectified in the PSP version).

In any case, the PSP is probably the second easiest if you don't count glitches, as apparently they slowed down leveling slightly from the GBA version, mitigating one problem with the version. (With glitches, the PSP version is easiest, as there's a way to get an item that casts Flare for free early, and a way to get the super-powerful weapon that normally requires beating the new superboss in the most powerful form to get before the mid-game.) For FF1, my preferred version is the PS1 version, since it plays like the original with some bug fixes, and Easy Mode still doesn't feel too easy (the leveling rate feels reasonable, though you do end up being a bit higher in level by endgame).

For Final Fantasy 2, however, I actually consider the PS1 version to be the worst version that I've played, due to the fact that spells actually level up more slowly than in the original (and slow spell leveling was an issue in the original). On the other hand, at least inventory space was increased, but still not to the extent of GBA and later versions. If you can read Japanese or are OK with using a translation patch, I would recommend the Famicom original over the PS1 (or WSC) version. (Be aware that the Pixel Remaster of this game has a rather nasty bug; if an attack capable of inflecting a status ailment hits, the status ailment is guaranteed, which can make certain fights unfair; if you get ambushed by a group of 4 Cuerels (or whatever they're called), you might as well just reset.)
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I didn't know such a difference existed.
I want a relaxing game, so lower difficulty than in the original is not a problem for me.
I'll play FF2 too after finishing the first one. Perhaps it will be the PSP version too. As a native Japanese, I can naturally read Japanese and won't need an English fan patch (lol). In fact, I am playing the FF1 game in Japanese.
Post edited November 30, 2022 by HIRO kun
Runescape

Generally I disdain such Skinner box games but I made an exception for this one as I was invited to try it by my friend. So far I'm having quite a lot of fun with it even though it definitely is one grindy game. Still, it's definitely better than most games in MMORPG genre, real money shop isn't too obtrusive and I even spent around 8 bucks for 14 day subscription so I can get a real feel for it. I just hope I won't get too hooked up on it, as it's definitely heroin among video games, LOL.

All things considered I'm pretty sure that after my 14 days worth of subscription I'll be back to playing single player games as multiplayer was never my thing.
Post edited November 29, 2022 by AustereDreamX
Getting close to finishing the main story in Witcher 3, then I'll start on the expansions.

It's also been a while since I played Bioshock, so I decided I would give it another shot and see if I like it any better.
Well, dtgreene's comment about FF2 was correct.
FF2 on the PSP version has the same problem, which makes the progress of MP and magic skills slower compared to physical skills.
I had to grind my guys and girl that only use magic in battles, and when their MP became zero, have them go to a city and rest. I used to do it several times.
But after destroying a flying battleship quest, I don't need such artificial grinding. It seems the character's progress became more natural.
What follows is an extremely subjective personal rant. Feel free to disagree.

So recently I've had a slight detour from single player games and I ventured into multiplayer and mmo territory for a few months. Specifically I played Warframe, Runescape and EVE Online. Don't get me wrong, maybe I'm just getting old and I didn't realize it until today but I've become bothered with the amount of killing I do in my games.

I realized that most of what I played in recent years revolved around killing - humans and otherwise. And I'm not talking about over the top, tongue in cheek humour games like Postal or games with killing as a main premise like Hitman series. I mean games that old as well as young people enjoy on a daily basis nowadays, like those three I mentioned. Killing in Runescape - check. Killing in EVE Online - check. Killing in Warframe - OMG check. And it's even worse in the last two, since you are basically an immortal killing peeps who have only one life like every other being in the universe (aside from players themselves of course).

I mentioned multiplayer games because, as I said, that's what's my experience lately but it isn't much better in single player ones. I honestly can't name one game I played in recent years, aside from Disco Elysium, that didn't revolve mostly around killing - for exp, for money or just to complete the next chunk of the game. And it doesn't matter whether it's a fairy tale, historical or grimdark ones like Diablo, there's so much killing being done in this industry that it kind of started to bother me. Again, it's very likely that I'm just getting old and this kind of stuff simply stopped appealing to my taste. Nor am I going to become a raving anti-video games activist. I just have to admit, mostly to myself, that it started to kind of scratch at my conscience.

So, today I decided - I'm gonna be more picky about my video games and I'm gonna try to limit the carnage I leave behind me in the virtual realmspace, starting with cleaning up my backlog of point 'n' click games since there seem to be less "k" word in those. So today I start my playthrough of "Beneath a Steel Sky".

End of rant.
TonyRadX: What follows is an extremely subjective personal rant. Feel free to disagree.

So recently I've had a slight detour from single player games and I ventured into multiplayer and mmo territory for a few months. Specifically I played Warframe, Runescape and EVE Online. Don't get me wrong, maybe I'm just getting old and I didn't realize it until today but I've become bothered with the amount of killing I do in my games.

I realized that most of what I played in recent years revolved around killing - humans and otherwise. And I'm not talking about over the top, tongue in cheek humour games like Postal or games with killing as a main premise like Hitman series. I mean games that old as well as young people enjoy on a daily basis nowadays, like those three I mentioned. Killing in Runescape - check. Killing in EVE Online - check. Killing in Warframe - OMG check. And it's even worse in the last two, since you are basically an immortal killing peeps who have only one life like every other being in the universe (aside from players themselves of course).

I mentioned multiplayer games because, as I said, that's what's my experience lately but it isn't much better in single player ones. I honestly can't name one game I played in recent years, aside from Disco Elysium, that didn't revolve mostly around killing - for exp, for money or just to complete the next chunk of the game. And it doesn't matter whether it's a fairy tale, historical or grimdark ones like Diablo, there's so much killing being done in this industry that it kind of started to bother me. Again, it's very likely that I'm just getting old and this kind of stuff simply stopped appealing to my taste. Nor am I going to become a raving anti-video games activist. I just have to admit, mostly to myself, that it started to kind of scratch at my conscience.

So, today I decided - I'm gonna be more picky about my video games and I'm gonna try to limit the carnage I leave behind me in the virtual realmspace, starting with cleaning up my backlog of point 'n' click games since there seem to be less "k" word in those. So today I start my playthrough of "Beneath a Steel Sky".

End of rant.
Games without characters, like pure puzzle games, might be an option. If there are no enemies (in the usual sense), there's no killing.

VVVVVV is not about killing; while there's something called "enemies", they always move in specific patterns, and there's no way for you to attack them.

Celeste is also light on enemies, and while you do have a way to attack, you don't really kill the enemies, at least not in the usual sense of the word. Even the one boss fight where you have to attack, there's a reasonable interpretation that might not seem as violent.

Undertale is interesting. It does have the whole idea that you can save and reload the game, but other characters can't, but the game is designed so that it's possible to win without killing anyone. In fact, there's even a special endgame path that is only possible to reach if you don't kill anything at all. (There's also a path, one that encompasses the entire game, that you get if you kill everything the game allows you to.)

I remember Waking Mars, from what I played of it, being non-violent, and being all about creating life on Mars (or something to that effect).
TonyRadX: snip
dtgreene: Games without characters, like pure puzzle games, might be an option. If there are no enemies (in the usual sense), there's no killing.

VVVVVV is not about killing; while there's something called "enemies", they always move in specific patterns, and there's no way for you to attack them.

Celeste is also light on enemies, and while you do have a way to attack, you don't really kill the enemies, at least not in the usual sense of the word. Even the one boss fight where you have to attack, there's a reasonable interpretation that might not seem as violent.

Undertale is interesting. It does have the whole idea that you can save and reload the game, but other characters can't, but the game is designed so that it's possible to win without killing anyone. In fact, there's even a special endgame path that is only possible to reach if you don't kill anything at all. (There's also a path, one that encompasses the entire game, that you get if you kill everything the game allows you to.)

I remember Waking Mars, from what I played of it, being non-violent, and being all about creating life on Mars (or something to that effect).
Come to think of it, there are two more games I played that take killing "seriously", for lack of a better word. Namely Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human Revolution (I didn't play Invisible War yet). They both provide you with tools that you can choose instead of lethal force. DE:HR even rewards you for completing the game without, or with minimum amount of killing by giving you a custom ending.

I'll definitely check out the games you mentioned, thank you.
Post edited December 12, 2022 by TonyRadX
TonyRadX: Come to think of it, there are two more games I played that take killing "seriously", for lack of a better word. Namely Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human Revolution
The sequel (Mankind Divided?) plays like that too. It's actually a little annoying to me, because the gunplay, mods and lethal options seem EXTREMELY well done... but I can hardly bring myself to use them because the game rewards stealth and non-lethal with more EXP.

It kills me that I'm a sucker for Min/Maxing - when secretly some times I just REALLY want to blast away with my awesome tweaked out assault rifle.
I've been playing Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning.

I took in on after hearing from a number of people how the hack-and-slash combat was quite satisfying, and...

... after 15+ hours...

... it's a modest "ok."

World. The open world is sufficiently complex and filled with lore, but...

... with overtly colorful and fantastic characters and locations...

... it's a bit too "high fantasy" for my taste. Still, exploration is good.

Combat. The combat is ok, but nothing to write home about... better IMHO than say Dragon Age Inquisition but worse than say Dragon's Dogma. And I always have a slight aversion to any game where you cannot jump or vault!

Creatures. 80% are humanoid... and IMO that starts to get old quickly. Are there dragons, griifons, and other large beasts? Dunno.

Story. Is there a story? Certainly there is a story, but it's not very engaging (probably a consequence of originally being an MMO)... and I've taken to skipping most dialogues.

I picked up the game for $3 on PS4 and it's been well worth it for that price, but...

... had I payed more...

... I probably would have been disappointed. As it is I almost quit the game at 5 hours and then again at 10, until...

... finally seeing a meaningful skill increase that kept me invested. Currently there's a lull in the household's tv use and I should want to jump into the game while I can...

... but nah... some other time. ;)
Post edited December 13, 2022 by kai2
DEFCON

Well, not exactly playing actually, since I spend most of my time setting the AI against one another and just watching them fight. There's just this sense of calmness to it.