It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Baldur's Gate 2... Once I got to chapter 5 with a druid as main character. That was maybe two years ago. Now it's finally time to, with a fresh beginning, to go all the way to the end. Doing pretty good now, in chapter 3, with a necromancer leader. It might be this is like maybe top five RPGs of all time, even better than the first one, for me.
Post edited April 01, 2018 by superstande
timppu: Then, another case, a question to Deus Ex veterans: is it really possible to save your brother back when you meet him at his apartment? One walkthrough suggests that yes it is, you just need to hide in a closet yourself and let your brother handle all the incoming forces (which are way too overpowered for you to handle), suggesting even that your brother is made invincible against enemies in that part of the game. Just let him shoot all enemies and stay behind him, and you will both make it (you become captured etc., but that's beside the point).

However, when I tried this, nope, didn't work. My brother fights valiantly but dies quite soon against the hordes of enemies, definitely not invincible. I also tried to fight with him against the enemies, but there just are too many of them coming through the door. I am wondering if the GMDX mod has changed it, ie. in the vanilla game your brother is invincible, but not in this mod?

The other option is for you to flee through the window just like your brother suggests, but that will get your brother killed. This is what I ended up doing then, and now the story goes on without my brother. So, should I have been able to save my brother, and how? Maybe I'll try it again at some point...
You're obviously long past the part where you decide whether to rescue Paul or not, but whatever, here's what I do.
The first enemies who enter Paul's room are easily taken care of with the GEP gun or grenades, then there is a sniper on your floor you want to take out and then the whole bunch of people at the entry level which leads to the main doors of the hotel. These doors serve as a trigger, you need to go through them for Paul to live. Don't know if you can just make a run for it or sneak past the enemies, because I always kill everything in sight.

With the upper floor cleared, you can snipe at the remaining enemies or if you have the LAW launcher, just jump out of cover, aim at the ground of the lower floor and it'll kill everyone in a large radius (might be some left near the doors and you might take some damage from the LAW blast). The GEP gun with white phosphorus missiles also has a large impact area, as well as the common missiles. I've never played it with any mods, because Deus Ex is one of those rare games that is just as fun to play through several times without needing mods. I don't even care about the graphics, I just feel nostalgic, because I started playing games in the late 90's.
Post edited April 01, 2018 by hurvl
hurvl: ...
I guess my main question was, do I need to fight them or was Paul supposed to be invinsible, being able to kill the enemies on his own? Some walkthroughs suggest so.

I tried it once (hiding in the secret closet), but Paul did get killed, I think he was blown to pieces either by a grenade or a rocket. Or, at least I think that is what happened because when I looked outside, there were gibs all over and a couple of enemies still running around in the room, no sign of Paul. Now it of course occurred to me could it be Paul had gotten out of the room, even if there were still enemies inside?

Anyway, the game is now on hold for me, the game crashes every time I reach certain point in the game. I've already tried everything I can think of.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/what_game_s_are_you_playing_right_now/post7786
Post edited April 01, 2018 by timppu
timppu:
I'd suspect it's due to the mod, I remember Paul surviving in my playthrough of vanilla Deus Ex, and I don't remember it as being difficult.

EDIT: This thread seems to confirm it's due to the mod:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Deusex/comments/72trs3/i_cant_save_paul_in_gmdx/
Post edited April 01, 2018 by morolf
I dug out Tropico 5 this morning since I was watching a few of the Lets Play yesterday when I should have been sweeping.

Made it out of the cold war with a positive bank account and 300 open jobs. Can't get anything done because all of my employees have left the construction jobs even though I bumped up the cash.
Phew, it seems I am able to continue playing Deus Ex. I had one older save game that seems to work for now:

https://www.gog.com/forum/deus_ex_series/the_gmdx_mod_megathread/post22

Question to Deus Ex veterans. On the naval shipyards, there is this outside area where two (or three?) bigger mechs roam around. It is the area where the crane is. In that area, there is a locked small hut beside the wall with a valve in it, which you can turn. What is the point of that valve, and should it be turned or not? And if yes, at which point?

Is it somehow related to your objective which included something about "turning the flow of the water" or something? Am I supposed to get back to that valve and turn it after I have placed the explosives in the big ship, or can I turn it already before going to the ship, or what?
Post edited April 02, 2018 by timppu
Chroma Squad
I've won it in giveaway right here some time ago, but only recently found time to play. Fun and childhood nostalgia - two prime things that drive this.
Okay, finished Thimblepark. It was indeed a delightful game, with such a shit ending (a bad implementation of a boring lazy twist that became obvious halfway) that it's finally hard to recommend. I think I actually prefer the perpetual cliffhangers of Undying/XIII/ManhunterSF.

Hard to say if the devs were truly feeling clever (they're not, it's an overly done, very 'easy' idea) or just used it to rationalize rushing the ending.

Also, suffers from the usual kickstarters syndrome. Becomes some large in-joke winkwink for bakers, along with in-dialogue "you will find the clue for this puzzle in the kickstarter promotional video". Apparently it's so hard for kickstarted projects to become fully autonomous games, instead of self-congratulatory club leaflets. It's already annoying how kickstarted games always keep breaking the immersion by licking their backers through the fourth wall, but this case here might go a tad too far.

But again, enjoyable until the ending. It's unfortunate how ending on a weak note ruins stuff in retrospect.
deleted
Been trying out the Catacombs series of games,
aka one of the forgotten series of games that John Carmack made pre id-Software.

Destructible walls were a major part of the Catacombs games, and in the later 2.5D games, the destruction animation for walls vanishing was very impressive for EGA graphics. No way I am going to play the Catacomb games to completion, but it is very cool seeing the evolution of John Carmack's game coding skills.
Telika: It's already annoying how kickstarted games always keep breaking the immersion by licking their backers through the fourth wall, but this case here might go a tad too far.
Fairfox: yah. i mean i dont mind if its well done, buuuut it nevah is; therell be liek portraits on walls with peeps on taht is so obvs backers, or names scattered throughout, or whatevs. its wai non-subtle (mebbe not to offend or just general lee out o' servitude?) an' liek you said, breaks immersion. i mean in liek 10 years who even cares 'boot 'em
Actually my first impression was that it was well done, at last, in Thimbleweed. It's a silly maniac mansion world, it's got huge libraries with backer-written books (but a nagging warning about it) and a lovely phonebook you can use to reach backer recorded messages. It's globally sweet and non-intrusive.

And then it becomes a plot point, because it clearly wasn't meta enough already, and because 4th wall refuge of the unimaginative. And the whole game becomes basically a kickstart update post. So, table flipping.
Post edited April 03, 2018 by Telika
deleted
Post edited April 03, 2018 by Fairfox
In Kingdom Come Deliverance, my Henry at last became something strong enough to fighting enemies.
I beat 2 Cuman soldiers and get a short sword,leather armor sets, 900 gold after sold their remains. Also I earn a horse by my lord as a reward.
But I tried fighting few bandits in a quest, I was killed. So I need more fighting training in the town.
After ~32h in Deus Ex I must say that it's much longer and more complicated then I expected.
ciemnogrodzianin: After ~32h in Deus Ex I must say that it's much longer and more complicated then I expected.
It's fairly linear though, I would have expected it to have more meaningful choices, but you don't have many chances to influence the plot.
But at least you have many options how to play (even though stealth is probably easiest).