It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

rampancy: You're probably talking about people like I who've posted about games with wine-staging vs. vanilla WINE. I'll be sure to include that information in my own posts going forward. In the meantime, if there's a specific game you would like tested in vanilla WINE, I'm sure we'd be happy to help you out.
Re-reading my post it may sound like a complaint. Sorry, it wasn't meant that way. You are one of the most active testers and reporters here. I appreciate every report about Wine compatibility of a GOG game, regardless of what Wine version has been used. It at least gives me a hint if a game is playable under Wine at all, even when it requires some efforts. And you already have helped me more than once with a specific game. Thank you for that and all your efforts!

My point was more that when someone already has tested a game with a vanilla Wine version, even unsuccessfully, this information should be preserved when a report is updated. Something like "game does not start under Wine 1.8, requires Wine staging x.y.z" or "game does run under Wine 1.8, but slowly, runs a lot faster when using CSMT". That way you easily can see what you will gain when you use a different or patched Wine version or why you have to use it.

Of course, when you add information about vanilla Wine compatibility to your reports, I would be more than happy. :)

Gydion: Mostly as that's what they tested the game with. In this case the game runs poorly without CSMT. Which by the way is, slowly, making it's way into mainline Wine.
I know. But even then it's helpful to know that a game is running with a vanilla Wine version (even when it's slow) and to keep that information available in the updated report.
Post edited July 10, 2016 by eiii
eiii: Re-reading my post it may sound like a complaint. Sorry, it wasn't meant that way.
Rest assured, I didn't take it negatively. :) But thanks for your kind comments all the same! I have some reports in the backlog that I have to post here, namely for Bloodrayne 1/2, Konung 1/2, and Trickstyle.

But to back on topic, I fully understand your reasons for your earlier post; it is, I think, for the same reasons that Gydion requested I *not* post any reports that solely relied on CrossOver or a non-standard version of WINE. It's why I've also refrained from mentioning the otherwise excellent custom engine that was compiled by Slice on the Porting Team forums.

if I could, I'd go back and add information on vanilla WINE for all of my reports, but I've made so many now that it would take a lot of time and effort to go back and re-test my games with the latest version of vanilla WINE that I have access to...and to be very honest with you, between work and personal concerns I just don't have that much time and energy right now.

When it comes to my own testing, I do start with staging 1.9.12 namely because it's the most recent version I have access to, and the staging branch has a lot of the fixes that have made it possible to get my games to work. Also, all OS X and Linux users freely have the ability to access and use wine-staging, something that isn't necessarily true for CrossOver, and it certainly isn't true for WineSherry.

Anyway, that all being said, I definitely want to include information on vanilla WINE in the future. The only wrinkle in that is that the latest version available on the Wineskin repos is 1.9.11; hopefully we'll see the vanilla 1.9.12-1.9.14 coming to Wineskin soon.
Game: BloodRayne

Installer MD5s: a0004009663cad8eefafc5964b3f1c4b setup_bloodrayne_2.0.0.5.exe

WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=18369
CodeWeavers link: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/bloodrayne

Distro: Mac OS X El Capitain 10.11.5
Kernel version: Darwin 15.4.0 (Build 15F34)
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 320M / Intel HD 5000 Graphics
Graphics driver & version: OS Default
Wine version(s) tested: WINE 1.9.11 / wine-staging 1.9.12 via Wineskin

Install notes: No winetricks or additional installations are necessary.

How well does it run: Almost perfectly...apart from issues with cutscenes (see below) the game runs perfectly; key rebinding, and saving/loading games all work as expected. On one of my test machines, I ran into issues with mouse movement not picked up correctly; setting MouseWarpOverride=force in winetricks and checking "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows" in winecfg can solve this.

Do not use the game's OpenGL renderer, as it will not work. The game runs without problems in vanilla WINE 1.9.11, but I saw the best performance with wine-staging 1.9.12 and CSMT enabled.

Details:

1. To avoid errors on startup:
Go to the game's base install folder and locate the "video' folder. Rename it or delete it to disable cutscenes. This is to work around bug # and #[url=https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40764]40764. Installing quartz and devenum in winetricks, in addition to disabling gstreamer (as suggested here) didn't seem to solve this issue on my two test systems.

2. To enable widescreen/non-standard resolutions:
Go to the game's base install folder, and locate the "system" folder. Within this folder, you should see the file rayne.ini. Change the parameters "gamePIXY" and "gamePIXX" to your liking.

n.b. Update from eiii:
eiii: The cut-scenes work for me after disabling winegstreamer in winecfg. But I'm on a 32 bit system, maybe that's the difference.
Post edited July 15, 2016 by rampancy
Game: Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Installer MD5:
1aedb3e60d5e4e3739dd8d6c951250f5 setup_dreamfall_2.0.0.12.exe
2040b19126c9876520c3eecd0cace163 setup_dreamfall_2.0.0.12-1.bin
7bae442859f67a61e6e8b0b2f88579f6 setup_dreamfall_2.0.0.12-2.bin
0f7d3fce34050205c191f676548d807d setup_dreamfall_2.0.0.12-3.bin
WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=3591
CodeWeavers link: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/dreamfall-the-longest-journey
Distro: Xubuntu 16.04 (64bit)
Kernel version: 4.4.0-28-generic
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 670
Graphics driver & version: Proprietary 361.42
Wine version(s) tested: Wine Staging 1.9.7
How well does it run:

Really well. Just a couple of minor graphical glitches: when playing as Kian, there is often a purple rhombus drawn on him and once during the game, at a certain spot, a similar much larger distortion appeared on top of Zoë for a brief while. Neither really mattered.

In two instances I got a glitch that forced me to reload a save, but I think they were bugs in the game. One was getting a beating with Zoë refusing to fight back and insisting that the other guy 'hadn't seen her yet'. Second was getting stuck in the environment crouching behind a pile of bricks.

Details:
Controller worked fine after in-game setup, with the exception that the analogue triggers couldn't be bound to actions.
I've used the post search on the previous thread and on this one for "starship titanic", "starship", and "titanic" and didn't get any results at all.

Has anyone tried to get "Starship Titanic" working with Wine?

I've tried with Wineskin Winery without complete success. Wineskin Winery does work for me with Might & Magic VI and Heroes of Might & Magic III, so I tried it with Starship Titanic but without complete success. It starts and is workable, but then gets stuck after the Starship Titanic crashes into the house to begin the game. From other posts on other forums (such as the Wine bug tracker) it seemed like a long-term problem for this game, so probably something really complicated.

It seems like you guys are compiling Wine yourselves, so that's way beyond me. Maybe someone has tried this game?
thomq: I've used the post search on the previous thread and on this one for "starship titanic", "starship", and "titanic" and didn't get any results at all.

Has anyone tried to get "Starship Titanic" working with Wine?

I've tried with Wineskin Winery without complete success. Wineskin Winery does work for me with Might & Magic VI and Heroes of Might & Magic III, so I tried it with Starship Titanic but without complete success. It starts and is workable, but then gets stuck after the Starship Titanic crashes into the house to begin the game. From other posts on other forums (such as the Wine bug tracker) it seemed like a long-term problem for this game, so probably something really complicated.

It seems like you guys are compiling Wine yourselves, so that's way beyond me. Maybe someone has tried this game?
I haven't tried it myself to be honest, because the WINE AppDB reports aren't promising, and I believe the game uses 256 colors. In OS X, that's a no-go since Apple removed 256 color support in OS X after Snow Leopard. (Yeah, think it's insane and stupid? Add that to the list of dumb things Apple have done/is doing with respect to graphics support.)

Edit: If I ever see it on sale for less than $3, I might give it a go just for the hell of it.
Post edited July 11, 2016 by rampancy
rampancy: 1. To avoid errors on startup:
Go to the game's base install folder and locate the "video' folder. Rename it or delete it to disable cutscenes. This is to work around bug # and #[url=https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40764]40764. Installing quartz and devenum in winetricks, in addition to disabling gstreamer (as suggested here) didn't seem to solve this issue on my two test systems.
The cut-scenes work for me after disabling winegstreamer in winecfg. But I'm on a 32 bit system, maybe that's the difference.
thomq: Has anyone tried to get "Starship Titanic" working with Wine?
I tried it earlier this year, but it wasn't promising and I gave up after a while. :(
For the Glory: A Europa Universalis Game
Ubuntu 14.04
Kernel: 3.13.0-85-generic
Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 750/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW! GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.96
Installer files:
setup_for_the_glory_2.0.0.1.exe
Wine version 1.8.0. A few errors pop up at the end of installing the game, but these can be safely ignored. Froze once during tutorial, but other than that seemed to be very stable.

AppDB entry [db:old]
Post edited July 13, 2016 by blakstar
Game: Uprising 2: Lead and Destroy

Installer MD5s: setup_uprising2_2.0.0.5.exe = 2c6128eaae3599cc53a28ff59db0e395

WineHQ AppDB link: n/a
CodeWeavers link: n/a

Distro: Mac OS X El Capitain 10.11.5
Kernel version: Darwin 15.4.0 (Build 15F34)
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 320M
Graphics driver & version: OS Default
Wine version(s) tested: wine-staging 1.9.14 / WINE 1.9.14 / CX 15.1 via Wineskin

Install notes:
- After finishing the installation, execute the following in winetricks:
mwo=force UseGLSL=disable

- Then make the following changes in winecfg:
Graphics > Enable "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows"
Libraries > Add ddraw.dll and set it to "Native"

- To clear up potential issues with music playback, open SMACKW32.DLL in a text editor, search for WINMM.dll and replace the "MM" with "32" (so it's changed to WIN32.dll). Go to the game's base install folder and rename winmm.dll to win32.dll. (n.b. I'm still not 100% convinced that this has fully enabled music in the game, yet.)

How well does it run: Almost perfectly...widescreen resolutions/high resolutions are supported through nglide_config.exe. You may want to ratchet down the resolution as well as disable vsync to boost performance, as performance can get a little sluggish on older hardware. Apart from that, all game functions work as tested.

Details:
Setting UseGLSL=disable may fix some crashing errors; Adding ddraw.dll as a native override in winecfg solves a flickering menu graphics bug that I believe may be OS X specific. While this worked in staging 1.9.14, it likely works in vanilla wine too. Setting MWO=force may help with the game becoming unresponsive to mouse input. Speaking of OS X specific, make sure to play with the Native Mac Driver enabled, too.

Make sure that csmt is disabled, too (unless you're working with a WINE engine version from CodeWeavers' own work).
Post edited July 14, 2016 by rampancy
Game: Red Faction
Installer MD5s:
96d4c827b928a0ab778c33b93fdb0f16 setup_red_faction_2.0.0.7.exe

WineHQ AppDB link: GOG Version
CodeWeavers link: retail

Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8
Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic i686 (32 bit)

GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 240/PCIe/SSE2
GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.96

Wine version(s) tested: Wine 1.9.13 via PlayOnLinux

Runs perfectly, tested the training level (twice after being booted for killing a guard the first time) and played the first level up to the barracks
Post edited July 15, 2016 by te_lanus
Please feel free to remove DEADBOLT from the list as we've just received the native Mac & Linux versions of the game and we should have them rolled out for you guys tomorrow :)
Anyone tried Sim City 3000 yet?
Game: SimCity 3000 Unlimited
Installer MD5s:
08def8dc74e350ad94c978eb46770f09 setup_simcity3k_unlimited_2.0.0.3.exe

WineHQ AppDB link: Unlimited

Runs perfectly, tested a hour or so of playing.

EDIT: after playing a scenario, after losing the scenario, and clicking on return to main menu the game crashed :(
Post edited July 15, 2016 by te_lanus
te_lanus: Game: SimCity 3000 Unlimited
Installer MD5s:
08def8dc74e350ad94c978eb46770f09 setup_simcity3k_unlimited_2.0.0.3.exe

WineHQ AppDB link: Unlimited

Runs perfectly, tested a hour or so of playing
So you didn't encounter any issues related to multi-core CPUs? I've read that that was a big problem with SC3K.