It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Adam, I've tested Fallout 3 and I get the same problems as with Oblivion, yet again disabling 'winegstreamer' solved the problem and I just finished playing through the whole tutorial area in 1 sitting without crashes or problems.
Ganni1987: Adam, I've tested Fallout 3 and I get the same problems as with Oblivion, yet again disabling 'winegstreamer' solved the problem and I just finished playing through the whole tutorial area in 1 sitting without crashes or problems.
I tested the three games with winegstreamer disabled and it doesn't seem to cause any problems here, so I've updated my wrappers to disable it.
Oh, I totally missed that Fallout: New Vegas and Oblivion came out on GOG, and I was wondering why @adamhm is posting about them :)
Post edited June 02, 2017 by shmerl
I tried to analyze Saboteur a bit further. What I noticed is that VideoSetup.exe file has much later timestamp (Sep 22 2016) than the rest of game files (Nov 30 2009) and it matches timestamps from other GOG specific files. I.e. most probably it was modified by GOG for that very map fixing. I wonder what exactly it does. And since it's not working in Wine, it's not applied when we just change config.ini manually. May be it modifies the original game binary itself?

Can anyone who has Windows installed run a simple test please. Backup your files, and then change resolution setting with the tool. Check which files were affected by that change (besides the obvious config.ini). I'm sure though asking GOG developers directly can save time on such investigation. I really don't see any reason for them not to explain what they did to fix the map issue.

Once we figure out what that tool does, we can write one for Linux.
I was looking at The Saboteur a couple of days ago. Wasn't able to find a fix for the map problem, although I did narrow down the specific libraries that VideoSetup.exe needs to run (it isn't any of the usual ones):

Extract Apr2006_MDX1_x86.cab from directx_Jun2010_redist.exe and from that extract microsoft.directx.dll and microsoft.directx.direct3d.dll into the prefix, at "drive_c/windows/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/" and "drive_c/windows/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/" respectively.

Just tried copying the entire game dir from a Windows install into the prefix, but it made no difference.
adamhm: I did narrow down the specific libraries that VideoSetup.exe needs to run (it isn't any of the usual ones):
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

adamhm: Just tried copying the entire game dir from a Windows install into the prefix, but it made no difference.
I suspect it modifies the registry, not the files. Using something like Process Monitor on Windows can help identify, what exactly that video settings tool modifies, besides config.ini.
shmerl: Can anyone who has Windows installed run a simple test please.
Hi shmerl,
I changed the resolution through the tool on Windows XP.
I tested the differences (using recursive ls -alR and save to text files, then using diff command). Nothing has changed in the game's folder. The only spotted differences were for . and .. (nothing interesting).

Let me know, if I could help more.

EDIT: Process Explorer v16.21 requires Windows Vista and higher.

EDIT 2: It's possible to check for registry changes in wine prefix by using diff command on system.reg, userdef.reg and user.reg files. Just take a backup before you make changes using the resolution changing tool.
Post edited June 02, 2017 by vanchann
vanchann: I changed the resolution through the tool on Windows XP.
I tested the differences (using recursive ls -alR and save to text files, then using diff command). Nothing has changed in the game's folder. The only spotted differences were for . and .. (nothing interesting).
Thanks for the confirmation. It does change config.ini but it's not located in the game folder, but somewhere in users/<user>/My Documents/My Games/The Saboteur™/SaveGames

And as I said, I suspect what also changes is something in registry. Process Monitor used to work in XP, just some older version. Try to search for regmon. You can still find where to download it.

By the way, sorry for confusion, I meant Process Monitor above, not Process Explorer.

vanchann: EDIT 2: It's possible to check for registry changes in wine prefix by using diff command on system.reg, userdef.reg and user.reg files. Just take a backup before you make changes using the resolution changing tool.
The problem is that in Wine the tool doesn't work. The idea was that someone with Windows can catch what exactly that tool changes, and they try reproducing it in Wine manually.
shmerl:
Yes,
config.ini has changed in user's Documents Saboteur subfolder. There is also a dat binary file there, but I haven't checked that.

EDIT: Unfortunately Process Monitor v3.33 also requires Windows Vista and higher.
Post edited June 02, 2017 by vanchann
I was able to run the tool using adamhm's method with DLL, but somehow it doesn't fix the map bug, even after changing the resolution from it. I suppose something fails in the tool. Or it's just a bug in Wine to begin with. Though JudasIscariot confirmed, that changing config.ini on Windows manually, introduces the map bug, while changing it with the tool avoids it. So I still suspect it changes more than just that file. But no idea what.
vanchann: EDIT: Unfortunately Process Monitor v3.33 also requires Windows Vista and higher.
I found regmon for XP here.
I checked the settings.dat file. It was modified the same time with my last save. Maybe it's just a link to the last save for the continue feature in game.
vanchann: I checked the settings.dat file. It was modified the same time with my last save. Maybe it's just a link to the last save for the continue feature in game.
Check the contents. It's the same, but it gets new modification date. I think it's a file for in game settings which you can change.
shmerl:
I haven't​ spotted any registry values, which have been changed by the video settings tool.
vanchann: I haven't​ spotted any registry values, which have been changed by the video settings tool.
You mean on Windows?
vanchann: I haven't​ spotted any registry values, which have been changed by the video settings tool.
shmerl: You mean on Windows?
Yes, on Windows XP.