It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The ups the downs, and brutal takedowns of mining in space.

<span class="bold">Descent: Underground</span>, the thrilling return of the first-person space shooter with six degrees of freedom, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com, with GOG Galaxy support for cross-play multiplayer and a 50% launch discount.

The legendary Descent is back and it takes you deep underground! Built on Unreal Engine 4 and improving upon the intoxicating flight mechanics of the originals, it brings the fight to the most perilous corners of space, where only the bravest or most desperate pilots venture in search of lucrative mining opportunities. Customize your ship and team up with friends for some fast-paced arcade action, spinning and swerving freely through twisting corridors as you gun down your opponents.
Descendant Studios, the people committed to bringing back this beloved franchise, are planning on adding a slew of neat features throughout the In Development stage: more ship types, weapons, and gadgets, more ways to interact with your environment, single player story missions, and tons of other cool additions.

Jump into your agile spaceship, calibrate your blasters, and dive into <span class="bold">Descent: Underground</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
The 50% discount will last until January 21, 1:59 PM UTC.

Note: This game is currently in development. See the <span class="bold">FAQ</span> to learn more about games in development, and check out the forums to find more information and to stay in touch with the community.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qbSChGuH7dI
Post edited December 21, 2016 by maladr0Id
IAmSinistar: That's gorgeous! Hopefully they also incorporate more modern thinking on the 3D controls, like games such as Retrovirus have done.

Any chance of a demo?
Pixley: The default controls were absolutely laid out with modern sensibilities in mind. WASD with Q&E for roll (as an extension of "lean" in games like FEAR) and Space and LCtrl for vertical movement (as an extension of jump and crouch). Of course, these are all fully configurable, so, if these aren't quite optimum for you, they can be changed.

As for a demo, we're planning on putting one out a little before the full release.

---

For those of you asking about the original Descent games, those are outside of Descendent Studios' control. We do not own the Descent franchise, we merely license it. They were removed from sale due to circumstances purely external to us.
Hello. Is it possible for people who contributed to your kickstarter to get a copy of the game here on GOG now that it's here?
CharlesGrey: Can't we just keep this simple?

If the game looks interesting to you, and you don't mind the way MP mode works, go buy a copy.

If the game doesn't really interest you, or you don't agree with MP mode requiring Galaxy, or some other form of authentication, don't buy it. Go play something else. Be happy. Life's too short to spend it arguing about crap like this.
P1na: True, very true. It's just that we didn't have to look into that stuff before. You saw a game that looked cool, bought it, and you had your little DRM-free installer with a full game, plus maaaaybe a .txt with a code for MP. Now you have to look around the fine print, it's annoying. Having to do that is one reason I left the steam store.

I used to dream with owning every single game on GOG, not anymore. I can understand the bitterness.
I suppose I can relate to that. It's one of the reasons I originally started buying games here, because I grew tired of all the research you have to do, when buying a new PC game these days. On GOG it used to be a lot simpler -- and mostly still is.

Anyhow, MP modes are a different beast from offline SP gaming, so I can understand the reasons why Devs like to rely on Steam, Galaxy or similar clients. The ideal solution would be to also provide some alternative, more old-fashioned ways for MP gamers to connect, but that may not be practical for many smaller Dev teams.
P1na: True, very true. It's just that we didn't have to look into that stuff before. You saw a game that looked cool, bought it, and you had your little DRM-free installer with a full game, plus maaaaybe a .txt with a code for MP. Now you have to look around the fine print, it's annoying. Having to do that is one reason I left the steam store.

I used to dream with owning every single game on GOG, not anymore. I can understand the bitterness.
CharlesGrey: I suppose I can relate to that. It's one of the reasons I originally started buying games here, because I grew tired of all the research you have to do, when buying a new PC game these days. On GOG it used to be a lot simpler -- and mostly still is.

Anyhow, MP modes are a different beast from offline SP gaming, so I can understand the reasons why Devs like to rely on Steam, Galaxy or similar clients. The ideal solution would be to also provide some alternative, more old-fashioned ways for MP gamers to connect, but that may not be practical for many smaller Dev teams.
Bingo... so much truth to this post and that is the key point. Regardless of how one feels about Galaxy, it's still vastly more simpler than dealing with Steam. Sure I might have to deal with Galaxy to play online, but I very much still know exactly what I'm getting here. No damn hidden 3rd party clients and DRM, like uPlay, Rockstar Social Club, Denuvo, SecuRom, etc on top of Galaxy to be found here, which was the biggest issue of all when it comes to Steam.
BKGaming: Bingo... so much truth to this post and that is the key point. Regardless of how one feels about Galaxy, it's still vastly more simpler than dealing with Steam. Sure I might have to deal with Galaxy to play online, but I very much still know exactly what I'm getting here. No damn hidden 3rd party clients and DRM, like uPlay, Rockstar Social Club, Denuvo, SecuRom, etc on top of Galaxy to be found here, which was the biggest issue of all when it comes to Steam.
Personally, I think that a MP API provided by a client such as galaxy could also provide some kind of direct IP/LAN functionality as well built into it. Not sure how hard that would be, but ideally, any game that features Galaxy MP would also offer some kind of LAN, code entirely provided by GOG through galaxy integration easy to handle for any indie. That's what I would have expected from the DRM-free store with optional client as it's marketing highlight. It's unfortunate it isn't the case.

That said, I don't give a rat's ass about multiplayer to begin with, so I'm not going on rage mode. I know where my personal red lines are and will hold back until those are crossed. In the meantime, I just look at games like this and sigh in disappointment.
BKGaming: Regardless of how one feels about Galaxy, it's still vastly more simpler than dealing with Steam.
Wrong, it's a buggy Windows only mess for ages now. Steam's client (as much as I hate it) at least has proper Linux support. Even when ignoring the whole DRM thing, now the client stands in the way of multi-platform and I don't believe the promises of Linux support later any more after having seen it dropped dozens of times after taking money.
I'm very glad, that I'm not a backer.

Djaron: online authentification, on a drm free store... THROUGH a software client claimed to be OPTIONAL... (and that is still, for good reasons, in beta state)
Smannesman: Hmm so if authentication and Galaxy is required for multiplayer I guess there's no LAN play or the option to run your own server?
Djaron: when was the last time you saw a game developper bothering about coding a plain good old TCP/IP local/online stack for a game ?
(btw, local or lan tcp/ip can turn into online multiplayer with vpn functions between trusted consenting players)
You don't want to destroy the illusion of the young folks here that there is no DRM-free multiplayer, do you?
I don't care for ego-pushing "achievements", "leaderboards" or stuff like this, I do care for LAN play and an easy way to make your own server though because that's what DRM-free multiplayer is all about. There was a time when this was the norm and that was before Steam.
Post edited December 22, 2016 by Klumpen0815
P1na: Personally, I think that a MP API provided by a client such as galaxy could also provide some kind of direct IP/LAN functionality as well built into it. Not sure how hard that would be, but ideally, any game that features Galaxy MP would also offer some kind of LAN, code entirely provided by GOG through galaxy integration easy to handle for any indie. That's what I would have expected from the DRM-free store with optional client as it's marketing highlight. It's unfortunate it isn't the case.
While I agree offering the option is nice (and how do we know GOG doesn't offer that in their API?).... it's still up to said dev to choose to use it. But the fact is, many don't because it's simply not very popular anymore. I agree completely though that having the option is always a good idea, and I believe this dev already stated something like that will be added.
Klumpen0815: Wrong, it's a buggy Windows only mess for ages now. Steam's client (as much as I hate it) at least has proper Linux support. Even when ignoring the whole DRM thing, now the client stands in the way of multi-platform and I don't believe the promises of Linux support later any more after having seen it dropped dozens of times after taking money.
I'm very glad, that I'm not a backer.
You missed the entire point that was being made here, and then go on about Linux... I assume you are using Linux? So how do you know Galaxy is a buggy mess? All software has bugs, especially in beta software. That is the point of beta, get it in the hands of as many people as possible (which is Windows users) then fix said bugs so when it releases on a platform like Linux you are getting a pretty stable piece of software.

People that make statements like this have a very narrow view on how software development works...
Post edited December 22, 2016 by BKGaming
BKGaming: While I agree offering the option is nice (and how do we know GOG doesn't offer that in their API?).... it's still up to said dev to choose to use it. But the fact is, many don't because it's simply not very popular anymore. I agree completely though that having the option is always a good idea, and I believe this dev already stated something like that will be added.
I remember looking for such an option when the whole galaxy thing started, I might have missed it but I'm pretty sure the consensus was "LAN is not a thing". I'd be very happy to be proven wrong. Other than that, it's back to looking fine print again, something I'm disappointed to do in GOG.

I don't personally want to give shit to this particular dev, it's not fair to single them out, but as I said, while I understand the general feeling of bitterness I think I agree with you for the most part. Discussing it further is probably going to bring us nowhere, so I'll leave it here.
BKGaming: While I agree offering the option is nice (and how do we know GOG doesn't offer that in their API?).... it's still up to said dev to choose to use it. But the fact is, many don't because it's simply not very popular anymore. I agree completely though that having the option is always a good idea, and I believe this dev already stated something like that will be added.
P1na: I remember looking for such an option when the whole galaxy thing started, I might have missed it but I'm pretty sure the consensus was "LAN is not a thing". I'd be very happy to be proven wrong.
Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about an actual option built directly into Galaxy, rather an API that the devs could use on a game by game basis to handle that easily, we really would not know if that is available without access to the Galaxy SDK.
BKGaming: Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about an actual option built directly into Galaxy, rather an API that the devs could use on a game by game basis to handle that easily, we really would not know if that is available without access to the Galaxy SDK.
Yes, I mean the same, an easy way to implement LAN for devs. Although an "emulate LAN" option for friends directly in Galaxy wouldn't be bad either, skipping all matchmaking and such needs for external servers.
BKGaming: Regardless of how one feels about Galaxy, it's still vastly more simpler than dealing with Steam.
Klumpen0815: You don't want to destroy the illusion of the young folks here that there is no DRM-free multiplayer, do you?
I don't care for ego-pushing "achievements", "leaderboards" or stuff like this, I do care for LAN play and an easy way to make your own server though because that's what DRM-free multiplayer is all about. There was a time when this was the norm and that was before Steam.
well, considering that there are some old and recent games without DRM which DO HAVE multiplayer online/lan through TCP/IP (and sometimes LAN too) without galaxy or anything else... How to put it... well, some managed to do it, so why others couldnt ?

anyway i'm with you regarding the loss of possibility to set up and host dedicated servers ourselves !

and i am not the kind of person who really have any interest in "rich connected social online gaming experience" with ingame chat, friends, achievements and such... Some like it, fine for them... But i don't want that their needs take over mine for arbitrary reasons. We both can have our ways.
And i still think i could have drm-free games to play online with people i know/trust instead of being flooded with folks i don't know about
Post edited December 22, 2016 by Djaron
joppo: Whoever wrote this has no idea what "degrees" mean in this context, but whatever. The game still looks sweet.
maladr0Id: Well true, but objectively 360 > 6 degrees.

So there.
Ah I see.... so we're getting 60 times more freedom with this game. That's so plenty we can give it * to a few relatives, lend to a friend, misplace some and still have enough freedom to enjoy the game!

I think I'll buy one or two copies and let them in storage to act as a "Get out of jail" card, then.

*freedom, not the game. Because piracy
LAN has to be a thing. It's the only multiplayer mode we know will work forever.
BStone: So no Linux support huh?

M$ trying to force everyone to W10 and nobody in their right mind will want/get W10.
We support Windows, Mac, and Linux. However, GOG Galaxy doesn't support Linux, so we are holding off on a Linux release here until we have more offline content available.

Mac support is coming sooner, but there was a technical glitch that popped up at the last minute.
Pixley: Omitted
Crosmando: Hello. Is it possible for people who contributed to your kickstarter to get a copy of the game here on GOG now that it's here?
That is something we're working on. If you haven't already linked your Kickstarter pledge to an account at descendentstudios.com, be sure to do so as soon as possible, so that you'll have access as soon as we get it sorted out.

EDIT: Dunkelza answered this better below.
Post edited December 22, 2016 by Pixley

This was also the exact reason I bought only on GOG. The amount of research you had to to in order to know what kind of DRM a game uses was staggering, mostly the companies kept it to themselves (who can blame them, its a shameful teqchnique) and you had to read that out of a review someone did who actually bought the game. But now that they don't clearly state what portion of the game is DRM, EVEN ON GOG, - I just said fuck it and installed Battlefield 1 with the Origin launcher. Why would I e.g. use Shadow Warior 2 with the Galaxy launcher when there litereally is no difference of using any other DRM of some other company?
I am convinced that given the statistscs line up with how many % use Galaxy only they just flip the switch and make content only accessible through Galaxy.