It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The ups the downs, and brutal takedowns of mining in space.

<span class="bold">Descent: Underground</span>, the thrilling return of the first-person space shooter with six degrees of freedom, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com, with GOG Galaxy support for cross-play multiplayer and a 50% launch discount.

The legendary Descent is back and it takes you deep underground! Built on Unreal Engine 4 and improving upon the intoxicating flight mechanics of the originals, it brings the fight to the most perilous corners of space, where only the bravest or most desperate pilots venture in search of lucrative mining opportunities. Customize your ship and team up with friends for some fast-paced arcade action, spinning and swerving freely through twisting corridors as you gun down your opponents.
Descendant Studios, the people committed to bringing back this beloved franchise, are planning on adding a slew of neat features throughout the In Development stage: more ship types, weapons, and gadgets, more ways to interact with your environment, single player story missions, and tons of other cool additions.

Jump into your agile spaceship, calibrate your blasters, and dive into <span class="bold">Descent: Underground</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
The 50% discount will last until January 21, 1:59 PM UTC.

Note: This game is currently in development. See the <span class="bold">FAQ</span> to learn more about games in development, and check out the forums to find more information and to stay in touch with the community.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qbSChGuH7dI
Post edited December 21, 2016 by maladr0Id
Pixley: The default controls were absolutely laid out with modern sensibilities in mind. WASD with Q&E for roll (as an extension of "lean" in games like FEAR) and Space and LCtrl for vertical movement (as an extension of jump and crouch). Of course, these are all fully configurable, so, if these aren't quite optimum for you, they can be changed.
Dumb question but will joysticks be supported? I always found playing classic Descent clunky with keyboard controls. After playing with a joystick, I could never go back to keyboard controls.
Pixley: The default controls were absolutely laid out with modern sensibilities in mind. WASD with Q&E for roll (as an extension of "lean" in games like FEAR) and Space and LCtrl for vertical movement (as an extension of jump and crouch). Of course, these are all fully configurable, so, if these aren't quite optimum for you, they can be changed.
IwubCheeze: Dumb question but will joysticks be supported? I always found playing classic Descent clunky with keyboard controls. After playing with a joystick, I could never go back to keyboard controls.
They already are. :)
IwubCheeze: Dumb question but will joysticks be supported? I always found playing classic Descent clunky with keyboard controls. After playing with a joystick, I could never go back to keyboard controls.
Pixley: They already are. :)
WOOT!!! Alright!!! Looking forward to trying your demo ;)
low rated
another piece of paid beta/early access p.o.s.

shame on developer and shame on gog
GOG.com: <span class="bold">Descent: Underground</span>, the thrilling return of the first-person space shooter with 360 degrees of freedom, is now available...
Whoever wrote this has no idea what "degrees" mean in this context, but whatever. The game still looks sweet.

But even tho it seems fun and pretty, I might skip it entirely. I love the original Descent but as I've been playing it and it wasn't kind to my wrists I had to take a few days' break to recover. As I still have to play through lots more of the three classics I'm not sure I'll ever be ready to add this one to my shelf.

Edit: Hmmm.... controllers might be a better alternative to KB indeed. I'll think about it.
Post edited December 21, 2016 by joppo
GOG.com: <span class="bold">Descent: Underground</span>, the thrilling return of the first-person space shooter with 360 degrees of freedom, is now available...
joppo: Whoever wrote this has no idea what "degrees" mean in this context, but whatever.
Should they have said “360 shades of freedom”? :P
This is cool GOG, but I want the original games as well. My machine wouldn't be able to run this game anyway, as cool as it looks.
Pixley: snip
Thanks for the info! Always good to see the devs taking part here. Cheers!
joppo: Whoever wrote this has no idea what "degrees" mean in this context, but whatever. The game still looks sweet.
Well true, but objectively 360 > 6 degrees.

So there.
joppo: Whoever wrote this has no idea what "degrees" mean in this context, but whatever. The game still looks sweet.
maladr0Id: Well true, but objectively 360 > 6 degrees.

So there.
/mic drop
Thanks for dropping by to answer a few questions.

How much are you guys focusing on the single-player/story mode? Or is it primarily a multi-player game?
With the original games out of reach for the time being (and probably for a good while), I'll settle with this...

... and the upcoming Overload.
Why isn't there a linux version on Gog, but on Steam?
high rated
CharlesGrey: Thanks for dropping by to answer a few questions.

How much are you guys focusing on the single-player/story mode? Or is it primarily a multi-player game?
At present, the game is mostly multiplayer. There are offline Practice vs AI and Survival modes, but those are tiny stepping stones towards a proper singleplayer campaign, which we've recently started to focus on.

There are a handful of reasons we started with multiplayer first:

1) Unreal Engine 4 makes networking really easy. AI will always be hard, moreso in 6DoF, so having multiplayer meant we could live-fire-test game mechanics long before we had an AI solution in place.

2) It is orders of magnitude easier for a game built for network play first to work offline than it is to take a game built for offline play first and adapt it to network play. Replication of game actions is a very complex thing to keep track of, so it makes things a lot more manageable to do it from the first line of code. This also means that co-op campaign support basically takes care of itself.

3) We don't have to balance the game twice. Balancing weapons and such is super important in MP, but not so much in SP. As such, we can get balance in a good place early on and then balance the campaign experience around those numbers.

The release of the singleplayer campaign will mark our exit from In-Development/Early Access.
Pixley: At present, the game is mostly multiplayer. There are offline Practice vs AI and Survival modes, but those are tiny stepping stones towards a proper singleplayer campaign, which we've recently started to focus on.

There are a handful of reasons we started with multiplayer first:

The release of the singleplayer campaign will mark our exit from In-Development/Early Access.
Thanks for explaining, and no worries. I understand how a good multiplayer mode is often more important these days, and also potentially more cost efficient to produce. Might still pick this up, once the single player portion of the game is done, and depending on how it turns out. Good luck with the game production and sales, either way.