It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The ups the downs, and brutal takedowns of mining in space.

<span class="bold">Descent: Underground</span>, the thrilling return of the first-person space shooter with six degrees of freedom, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com, with GOG Galaxy support for cross-play multiplayer and a 50% launch discount.

The legendary Descent is back and it takes you deep underground! Built on Unreal Engine 4 and improving upon the intoxicating flight mechanics of the originals, it brings the fight to the most perilous corners of space, where only the bravest or most desperate pilots venture in search of lucrative mining opportunities. Customize your ship and team up with friends for some fast-paced arcade action, spinning and swerving freely through twisting corridors as you gun down your opponents.
Descendant Studios, the people committed to bringing back this beloved franchise, are planning on adding a slew of neat features throughout the In Development stage: more ship types, weapons, and gadgets, more ways to interact with your environment, single player story missions, and tons of other cool additions.

Jump into your agile spaceship, calibrate your blasters, and dive into <span class="bold">Descent: Underground</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
The 50% discount will last until January 21, 1:59 PM UTC.

Note: This game is currently in development. See the <span class="bold">FAQ</span> to learn more about games in development, and check out the forums to find more information and to stay in touch with the community.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qbSChGuH7dI
Post edited December 21, 2016 by maladr0Id
This is one I'd like to see show up on connect! I bought it ages ago on Steam. It's definitely not as bad as some of the steam reviews would lead you to believe. I haven't played it a whole bunch, but what I have played was pretty fun.

I'd really like to see a good single player campaign too.

I'd also like to see the Linux version on GOG. I assume that it's coming?

@Pixley - thanks for coming and answering questions - it's always great to see developers in the forums.
Post edited December 21, 2016 by hummer010
Pixley: At present, the game is mostly multiplayer. There are offline Practice vs AI and Survival modes, but those are tiny stepping stones towards a proper singleplayer campaign, which we've recently started to focus on.

There are a handful of reasons we started with multiplayer first:

1) Unreal Engine 4 makes networking really easy. AI will always be hard, moreso in 6DoF, so having multiplayer meant we could live-fire-test game mechanics long before we had an AI solution in place.

2) It is orders of magnitude easier for a game built for network play first to work offline than it is to take a game built for offline play first and adapt it to network play. Replication of game actions is a very complex thing to keep track of, so it makes things a lot more manageable to do it from the first line of code. This also means that co-op campaign support basically takes care of itself.

3) We don't have to balance the game twice. Balancing weapons and such is super important in MP, but not so much in SP. As such, we can get balance in a good place early on and then balance the campaign experience around those numbers.

The release of the singleplayer campaign will mark our exit from In-Development/Early Access.
That's good to hear as I'm not super interested in MP, though co-op campaign sounds awesome. I'm keeping my eyes on this!
Regarding availability of the Linux version here on GOG:

GOG Galaxy is our means of online authentication for copies sold here, but Galaxy isn't on Linux yet. We didn't feel that it'd be fair to sell a no-online version to Linux folks, so we're holding back for the time being.
Post edited December 21, 2016 by Pixley
Pixley: Regarding availability of the Linux version here on GOG:

GOG Galaxy is our means of online authentication for copies sold here, but Galaxy isn't on Linux yet. We didn't feel that it'd be fair to sell a no-online version to Linux folks, so we're holding back for the time being.
Thanks for being so transparent, Pixley. Good luck with the launch and oh boy dis gun be tasty ;D
Huheuehbrr

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that limitation. I guess it doesn't make much sense to publish a game that currently has no single player option to a platform that doesn't have the requisite multiplayer client.
hummer010: This is one I'd like to see show up on connect! I bought it ages ago on Steam. It's definitely not as bad as some of the steam reviews would lead you to believe. I haven't played it a whole bunch, but what I have played was pretty fun.

I'd really like to see a good single player campaign too.

I'd also like to see the Linux version on GOG. I assume that it's coming?

@Pixley - thanks for coming and answering questions - it's always great to see developers in the forums.
+1 for connect....
I remember picking it up when it was offered in a bundle for a price too good to be true, even if I'll have to wait awhile for the single player campaign.

Thanks for your open answer. I really appreciate that. Galaxy doesn't seem to be developed with Linux in mind. Galaxy for Linux is very unlikely. So I have to rely on Steam. Again. (That's not your fault!).
Pixley: For those of you asking about the original Descent games, those are outside of Descent Studios' control. We do not own the Descent franchise, we merely license it. They were removed from sale due to circumstances purely external to us.
Since you (collectively) as licensee obviously have a direct line of communication with the licensor (Interplay) it should behoove you (collectively) to impress upon to the licensor the importance of the resumption of the Descent titles formerly available for sale here on GOG. Whether fairly or unfairly; this issue may influence whether or not potential customers could in their good conscience purchase your new game in light of the payment issues between Parallax Software, the developers of the first two Descent games, with the former IP holders, THQ and Volition, and the current IP holders, Interplay; that resulted in the removal for sale of the aforementioned games.

Descent games pulled from GOG.com, dev says it hasn't been paid since 2007

Interplay purchases Freespace IP from THQ and Volition for $7,500

Descent removed from GOG.com - also likely to disappear from Steam
Post edited December 21, 2016 by ValamirCleaver
Now that is one for my wishlist for sure - can't wait until it has the singleplayer stuff added.

EDIT: Ah, what gives - skipped the wishlist and bought it right now. Cant resist a nice game for a nice price :)
Post edited December 21, 2016 by ralfkorrek
Pixley: For those of you asking about the original Descent games, those are outside of Descent Studios' control. We do not own the Descent franchise, we merely license it. They were removed from sale due to circumstances purely external to us.
ValamirCleaver: Since you (collectively) as licensee obviously have a direct line of communication with the licensor (Interplay) it should behoove you (collectively) to impress upon to the licensor the importance of the resumption of the Descent titles formerly available for sale here on GOG
That is entirely between Interplay and Parallax. https://www.gog.com/forum/general/descent_12_descent_3_removed_from_sale/post142
Pixley: GOG Galaxy is our means of online authentication for copies sold here, but Galaxy isn't on Linux yet. We didn't feel that it'd be fair to sell a no-online version to Linux folks, so we're holding back for the time being.
"Online authentication" for a game being sold on a retailer that prides it self on only selling DRM-free games? Anyone else see what seems wrong with this picture?...
Pixley: GOG Galaxy is our means of online authentication for copies sold here, but Galaxy isn't on Linux yet. We didn't feel that it'd be fair to sell a no-online version to Linux folks, so we're holding back for the time being.
ValamirCleaver: "Online authentication" for a game being sold on a retailer that prides it self on only selling DRM-free games? Anyone else see what seems wrong with this picture?...
We aren't preventing folks from playing the game offline. The authentication exists solely to access multiplayer to determine identity, so we (and you) can track stats, and (eventually) progression can be tracked.
if there were assured SP aspect of the game it would be my first advance order here on gog. As it stands, I think it looks like a Wish List title until Single Play is a real part of the game.
Pixley: We aren't preventing folks from playing the game offline. The authentication exists solely to access multiplayer to determine identity, so we (and you) can track stats, and (eventually) progression can be tracked.
www.gog.com/galaxy
"Truly gamer friendly, DRM-free online gaming platform.

GOG GALAXY is a fully optional client to install, play and update your games. It also offers online multiplayer, achievements, chat, game-time tracking and more - but it’s up to you which features you want to use. "
Attachments:
galaxy.png (222 Kb)
Hmm so if authentication and Galaxy is required for multiplayer I guess there's no LAN play or the option to run your own server?