It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The ups the downs, and brutal takedowns of mining in space.

<span class="bold">Descent: Underground</span>, the thrilling return of the first-person space shooter with six degrees of freedom, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com, with GOG Galaxy support for cross-play multiplayer and a 50% launch discount.

The legendary Descent is back and it takes you deep underground! Built on Unreal Engine 4 and improving upon the intoxicating flight mechanics of the originals, it brings the fight to the most perilous corners of space, where only the bravest or most desperate pilots venture in search of lucrative mining opportunities. Customize your ship and team up with friends for some fast-paced arcade action, spinning and swerving freely through twisting corridors as you gun down your opponents.
Descendant Studios, the people committed to bringing back this beloved franchise, are planning on adding a slew of neat features throughout the In Development stage: more ship types, weapons, and gadgets, more ways to interact with your environment, single player story missions, and tons of other cool additions.

Jump into your agile spaceship, calibrate your blasters, and dive into <span class="bold">Descent: Underground</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
The 50% discount will last until January 21, 1:59 PM UTC.

Note: This game is currently in development. See the <span class="bold">FAQ</span> to learn more about games in development, and check out the forums to find more information and to stay in touch with the community.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qbSChGuH7dI
Post edited December 21, 2016 by maladr0Id
low rated
Tauto: Way to go about trolling:)
hummer010: How am I trolling?
Way to go evading the question. The good old "I don't care about that, so I don't need to formulate a logical response" answer.

This is respectful?
Nevermind.
Post edited December 21, 2016 by hummer010
Tauto: Way to go about trolling:)
hummer010: How am I trolling?

It's an honest question. If they are using galaxy authentication to manage multiplayer and track stats and achievements, and that's a problem for you. What's the alternative? Single player stats and achievements are easy - put it directly in the game. How do you handle the multiplayer without some form of authentication?
You cant but you score the offline game and then if you desire go online and peruse the other scores to see how you went.
nvm.
Post edited December 21, 2016 by Tauto
yogsloth: A game with no single-player campaign, that can only be played multi-player, but Galaxy is required to play multi-player so that they can "authenticate" your purchase.
GOG.com: Jump into your agile spaceship, calibrate your blasters, and dive into <span class="bold">Descent: Underground</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
yogsloth: DRM-free.

With an "optional" client.

Liar.

Liar.

LIAR.
Do you want cheaters and hackers to run wild?
Looks really good so far, will think about it when/if it has a fully fleshed out single player game, also not in dev.
For now it's meh.

Yay for adding fully configurable controls.

Edit for clarity.
Post edited December 21, 2016 by DampSquib
KasperHviid: Does the GoG version support VR...?

Anyway, its great to see this game here! It has been on my Steam wishlist since 20 august, due. Normally, I hate it when games try to aim at monitor and VR simulariously, but cockpit-based games just lend themselves so well to VR.
Yes yes, a million times yes...we support Oculus, HTC Vive and OSVR....

And we just put in a new 3D Hud for this release....

Enjoy!!!
KasperHviid: Does the GoG version support VR...?

Anyway, its great to see this game here! It has been on my Steam wishlist since 20 august, due. Normally, I hate it when games try to aim at monitor and VR simulariously, but cockpit-based games just lend themselves so well to VR.
It's the same basic game in both places, so yes we support VR on GOG as well. However, you may need to check with your headset manufacturer if they have specific requirements.
Instant purchase - my first one for a game in development. Man am I ever looking forward to playing this!
If this has been answered sorry, but was the Descent franchise up for grabs? Regardless this game looks great so I'm glad something was done with what I always though were kind of overrated games.

To me they were always close but just missing something; something that looks like has been added here.
Post edited December 21, 2016 by tinyE
RetroPopz: Instant purchase - my first one for a game in development. Man am I ever looking forward to playing this!
THANK YOU!

And be sure to join our forums at www.descentunderground.com and tell us what you think about the game and help get your voice heard.

We support an active community - and are supporting mods, and as much individual community development as we can.

Thanks again and welcome.

WM
tinyE: If this has been answered sorry, but was the Descent franchise up for grabs?
No. The Descent franchise is currently in a tug-of-war thanks to the series' rights being split between two entities that don't see each other eye to eye anymore. The reason why this game was able to be made, is because the developers were granted permission to use the trademark (which is owned by one of the two entities) and nothing more.
Post edited December 21, 2016 by Grargar
tinyE: If this has been answered sorry, but was the Descent franchise up for grabs? Regardless this game looks great so I'm glad something was done with what I always though were kind of overrated games.

To me they were always close but just missing something; something that looks like has been added here.
The Descent Franchise has been mired in legal battles for years, our team left Star CItizen 2 years ago, as we wanted to make our own game and bring Descent back and introduce it to a new audience.

Actually the game was originally titled "Ships That Fight Underground" or STFU for short, then we got contacted by Interplay asking us if we wanted to be an actual DESCENT title and we were like...hell yeah....as that was such an inspirational game to many of us.

So, we licensed the name - we own 100% of the IP, we don't own the name Descent - it is a trademark of Interplay - and we can't use some of the original assets from the first 3 games as they are owned by Parallax.

We asked the Parallax guys to join us early in the development and have had a great relationship with them, but they wanted to do their own thing to, so we support each other. And honestly, we wanted to cut our own course and reinvent the series with an all new story line.

So, we took on the challenge of rebooting a beloved franchise and bringing modern game play elements to it, like classes/roles to play, unlocks, achievements, leveling up both weapons, gadgets and tools - things that were not available back in the 90s, that are available today to enhance the experience, basically taking the game up to 11.

Now we do plan on introducing a "Classic" mode game play where we utilize same sized hitboxes, have one ship (the torch) and limited weapons at some point after we launch for those that ONLY want to play the arcade style original.

As for now, we are focusing primarily on Single player, and balancing the game - and that is where we can use your help.

Tell us when things are not working well, let us know if the Panzer's shield is not powerful enough or the Turret dropped from the wasp is overpowered, or that the healing of the shaman is too hard....stuff like that....let us know.

And if you are a MP hater, then play SP vs bots right now, or play Co-op vs bots, or Survival as a solo or as Co-op.....

It is not always about deathmatch you know.

Thanks again....and join us on the servers every Friday for PLAYING WITH THE DEVS right after Wingman's hangar.....usually around 11:30am CST, or 6:30pm in the UK, or 7:30pm in Germany...or or or...

:)

WM
Post edited December 21, 2016 by DaDakota
Thanks to Grargar and the Devs for answering what must have come across as pretty stupid questions. :P
tinyE: Thanks to Grargar and the Devs for answering what must have come across as pretty stupid questions. :P
Not at all - we are dedicated to doing this with the community as much as possible.

And honestly, it would be one of the first questions I would ask too......and it is a cool story so....

WM
Pixley: We aren't preventing folks from playing the game offline. The authentication exists solely to access multiplayer to determine identity, so we (and you) can track stats, and (eventually) progression can be tracked.
ValamirCleaver: www.gog.com/galaxy
"Truly gamer friendly, DRM-free online gaming platform.

GOG GALAXY is a fully optional client to install, play and update your games. It also offers online multiplayer, achievements, chat, game-time tracking and more - but it’s up to you which features you want to use. "
sigh, not this again.
Yes the galaxy client is optinal to use.
No ones is forcing you to use it or to buy the game that requires it
If there are games with multiplayer that require galaxy for obvius reasons you dont have to buy that game
simple as that.

For the never ending arguments : But you can have private servers and Lan, etc

Yes you can but newer trust a host or a client when online
if you join a host you are not in control
if you host a game then the players joning you, then the players joining you are not in control

And if you are bitching about this, why are you online on the internet ?
The connection to the internet requires an adress
gog requiress a username and password
and also some form of pay if you are going to buy a game.
Post edited December 21, 2016 by Lodium