It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The ups the downs, and brutal takedowns of mining in space.

<span class="bold">Descent: Underground</span>, the thrilling return of the first-person space shooter with six degrees of freedom, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com, with GOG Galaxy support for cross-play multiplayer and a 50% launch discount.

The legendary Descent is back and it takes you deep underground! Built on Unreal Engine 4 and improving upon the intoxicating flight mechanics of the originals, it brings the fight to the most perilous corners of space, where only the bravest or most desperate pilots venture in search of lucrative mining opportunities. Customize your ship and team up with friends for some fast-paced arcade action, spinning and swerving freely through twisting corridors as you gun down your opponents.
Descendant Studios, the people committed to bringing back this beloved franchise, are planning on adding a slew of neat features throughout the In Development stage: more ship types, weapons, and gadgets, more ways to interact with your environment, single player story missions, and tons of other cool additions.

Jump into your agile spaceship, calibrate your blasters, and dive into <span class="bold">Descent: Underground</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
The 50% discount will last until January 21, 1:59 PM UTC.

Note: This game is currently in development. See the <span class="bold">FAQ</span> to learn more about games in development, and check out the forums to find more information and to stay in touch with the community.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qbSChGuH7dI
Post edited December 21, 2016 by maladr0Id
Tauto: That is a TALL story nowadays.Too many companies are using this ploy to spy on people and combat piracy but it's mostly the former.And why? Very simple thing called advertising,money for all except the poor unsuspecting buyer.
hummer010: How do you propose to track online stats and achievements without some form authentication?
There's a difference between tracking that stuff when someone is online and requiring it. ;)
omega64: There's a difference between tracking that stuff when someone is online and requiring it. ;)
For sure. As stated, it's only required for multiplayer.

Pixley: We aren't preventing folks from playing the game offline. The authentication exists solely to access multiplayer to determine identity, so we (and you) can track stats, and (eventually) progression can be tracked.
Post edited December 21, 2016 by hummer010
Tauto: That is a TALL story nowadays.Too many companies are using this ploy to spy on people and combat piracy but it's mostly the former.And why? Very simple thing called advertising,money for all except the poor unsuspecting buyer.
hummer010: How do you propose to track online stats and achievements without some form authentication?
Stats and achievements are not a big deal in my book,just to enjoy the game.As for achievements it's not impossible to put them in a game when developed nor for that matter are stats.
Tauto: Stats and achievements are not a big deal in my book,just to enjoy the game.As for achievements it's not impossible to put them in a game when developed nor for that matter are stats.
True, they could be client side, and we plan on having some in the SP campaign that will unlock stuff in MP as well. However as a general rule in MP - never trust the client.

:)

WM
Tauto: Stats and achievements are not a big deal in my book,just to enjoy the game.As for achievements it's not impossible to put them in a game when developed nor for that matter are stats.
I don't get what you're saying here.

If we're talking about multiplayer stats (which we are, in case you missed that point), how do you track that without some form of authentication?
DaDakota: True, they could be client side, and we plan on having some in the SP campaign that will unlock stuff in MP as well. However as a general rule in MP - never trust the client.

WM
Fair, good luck with the game.
If the single player turns out to be good I'm sure I'll get it at some point.
Does the GoG version support VR...?

Anyway, its great to see this game here! It has been on my Steam wishlist since 20 august, due. Normally, I hate it when games try to aim at monitor and VR simulariously, but cockpit-based games just lend themselves so well to VR.
DaDakota: True, they could be client side, and we plan on having some in the SP campaign that will unlock stuff in MP as well. However as a general rule in MP - never trust the client.

WM
All achievements and stats could be in the games,but advertising is worth more.Therefore play MY game online or miss the extras.It's a major con nowadays with achievements and stats and DLC's.And multiplayer is worse because I for one refuse to buy a game that can't be played offline or single player.No offense.
hummer010: I don't get what you're saying here.

If we're talking about multiplayer stats (which we are, in case you missed that point), how do you track that without some form of authentication?
Multiplayer or single player acheivements and stats is not the ''ants pants''.
The only stat viable online is the overall game score of individuals around the world and that has NO interest to me.
Post edited December 21, 2016 by Tauto
Pixley: Regarding availability of the Linux version here on GOG:

GOG Galaxy is our means of online authentication for copies sold here, but Galaxy isn't on Linux yet. We didn't feel that it'd be fair to sell a no-online version to Linux folks, so we're holding back for the time being.
Pixley: GOG Galaxy is our means of online authentication for copies sold here,

Pixley: GOG Galaxy is [REQUIRED TO PLAY THE GAME]
Pixley: GOG Galaxy is [DRM, PERIOD]
hummer010: If we're talking about multiplayer stats (which we are, in case you missed that point), how do you track that without some form of authentication?
Tauto: Multiplayer or single player acheivements and stats is not the ''ants pants''.
Way to go evading the question. The good old "I don't care about that, so I don't need to formulate a logical response" answer.
Tauto: Multiplayer or single player acheivements and stats is not the ''ants pants''.
hummer010: Way to go evading the question. The good old "I don't care about that, so I don't need to formulate a logical response" answer.
Way to go about trolling:)
Tauto: Way to go about trolling:)
How am I trolling?

It's an honest question. If they are using galaxy authentication to manage multiplayer and track stats and achievements, and that's a problem for you. What's the alternative? Single player stats and achievements are easy - put it directly in the game. How do you handle the multiplayer without some form of authentication?
Post edited December 21, 2016 by hummer010
A game with no single-player campaign, that can only be played multi-player, but Galaxy is required to play multi-player so that they can "authenticate" your purchase.
GOG.com: Jump into your agile spaceship, calibrate your blasters, and dive into <span class="bold">Descent: Underground</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
DRM-free.

With an "optional" client.

Liar.

Liar.

LIAR.
KasperHviid: Does the GoG version support VR...?
As someone who might be potentially interested in obtaining a VR headset, I'd like to know about that as well.
I considered installing this (Steam version) to see progress since last played, but noticed the latest builds are behind a paywall.

Pass.