It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Arteveld: Reminds me of [see attached] ;P
The Legendary Lost City of the Soviets?

Anyway, I disagree with Navagon's hint about starting in peaceful-mode. I loved my first time in Minecraft, and the zombies were the reason I started building stuff in the first place.
Post edited October 08, 2010 by Zeewolf
Zeewolf: The Legendary Lost City of the Soviets?
Yea, doesn't it?:P

Zeewolf: Anyway, I disagree with Navagon's hint about starting in peaceful-mode. I loved my first time in Minecraft, and the zombies were the reason I started building stuff in the first place.
Hell yeah, that's what made me interested in the game, first night spend shivering in a improvised small dirt coffin, second night got me by surprise when i was on the top of a mountain [my world is full of cliffs with no easy way up/down], and i had to spend the night on a tree that was growing on the side of one of those cliffs. It's like a DIY adventure, i love that! Gotta buy that game..
Earlier in the week, I had spent hours in a new world. I had built my largest structure thus far, an admittedly not too impressive four story structure, out of stone. I had only just finished simple turrets on three corners (wasn't really a view from the fourth), and was reaching out and clearing some high ground near the top so that monsters couldn't jump down... when the power went out. I hadn't saved...

Things I'd love to see:

A craftable scuba suit, to allow underwater breathing, with limited duration when underwater. There'd have to be some sort of mechanic in place to prevent exploiting it by removing the suit and waiting for the air to nearly deplete, then putting it back on, to extend its duration. Perhaps make it a consumable item that gives you an extra air supply that depletes when you're underwater, but doesn't replenish when you surface. Once it's used up, the normal air supply takes over.

A craftable one-shot item that sets a new spawn point. It'd have to require lots of stuff to make though.

A lift. You could create a lift shaft with two columns of blocks, and place a track along both sides, then place the lift cart in-between.

I too would like a map. You could craft some sort of ink resource, and when you use a unit of ink, it fills in a certain radius around you, or updates it. It would be interesting to see how 3D space would be handled.
Drat: A craftable one-shot item that sets a new spawn point. It'd have to require lots of stuff to make though.
the compass, you take four iron and one redstone and bam, you got yourself a compass.
Drat: A craftable one-shot item that sets a new spawn point. It'd have to require lots of stuff to make though.
Weclock: the compass, you take four iron and one redstone and bam, you got yourself a compass.
I know about the compass. I'm talking about moving the spawn point. Such as if you end up building far from your spawn point, or you've mined out the area and want to move on to pastures new, but not create a whole new world. Hell, even for convenience's sake.

But it should be costly to make, and probably locked at/near ground level.
Post edited October 08, 2010 by Drat
prakaa: Once my new credit card validates this is my first purchase..

Any hints for a n00b?
Navagon: Start out on peaceful. You want to limit the number of problems you have to contend with.

Remember that you have to hold down the mouse button to hack away at things.

You need wood first. But only build one wood pickaxe. That will be enough to chop away at enough stone to get you a stone pickaxe (which actually isn't all that bad, really).

Caves are your best source of rarer block types. Take a lot of mud with you to build mud staircases and dam annoying rivers.

Build a compass as soon as you can. It will tell you where your spawn point is.

Keep in mind that some blocks fall down. Mining the block directly above you can be fatal. Same goes for mining the block at your feet.

Equally, you want to be aware of other potentially problematic adjacent blocks. So sometimes it's wise to clear adjacent blocks before going after the one you want. Generally you've got a better chance of grabbing a block as it falls if it is at head height when you're mining it.

If you're mining a block you want (particularly obsidian), make sure there are no lava pits or chasms behind it for it to fly off into. Again, mud is good for this. You can use mud to dam lava too.

Start a new game several times first. Get one you like the look of. Personally I like mountainous ones as I can carve my towers into them and clifftop mud shacks make good initial lookout points on less peaceful modes.

If you block the entry point to rivers you kill them entirely. This might not be desirable in some circumstances.

Visit the wiki.
Arteveld: "RIP THEM ALL DOWN!";)
I plant mine a bit further away, so i can see more from above, and have a fair view when on ground.
I kinda like the creepers way to silently BLOW ME TO PIECES.. But hey, that's me.;)

I want a mapping tool [craftable]! Those x-ray thingies are lacking.
Navagon: Yeah, maybe the trees have to go. Which is a shame as the area is quite pretty at the moment (see attached).

Well some people are managing to import objects into the game. Such as that scale Enterprise model. So some kind of official editor surely should be possible.
Hmm ok sorry navagon, I didn't follow all your advice.

I started on normal, and I built a cave not far from the spawn point. I'm generally low on everything but rock, and maybe wood, gotta fix that

Can't find redstone, and at one point, accidentally mined into lava (funny thing is you can put a rock in a block of lava and that fixes the problem)

Also building an outer house, made of dirt, because it'll be far too big to make out of wood (maybe not stone....)
Arteveld: Reminds me of [see attached] ;P
Zeewolf: The Legendary Lost City of the Soviets?

Anyway, I disagree with Navagon's hint about starting in peaceful-mode. I loved my first time in Minecraft, and the zombies were the reason I started building stuff in the first place.
Hmm ok I didn't start in peaceful either
Looked up the wiki and what do you know, you can farm too...

This game is a much better version of Stranded 2....
Post edited October 08, 2010 by prakaa
Google cartographer for a map making program, I recommend oblique-angled mode for ease of identifying stuff.
and someone talked about an editor earlier, MCedit is my favorite by far.

Also do not get too attached to your world unless you often take a backup of it, because if the game or the computer crashes while playing it will often corrupt the file :(
Ok guys this is the GoG Minecraft Server

78.240.217.126:25565

The one already in the Steam group

If you walk past the sweet castle and up onto the bridge, keep walking until the bridge is a single walkway. Keep walking until you see the sign for our Black Hole Cave. Once you do, drop down and follow the directions.. look for the area with 4 torches.

Go inside the cave, and down the stairs, and further down. We mined near the rockebed and found a "black hole". If you fall down, you're suspended in the night sky...
prakaa: Ok guys this is the GoG Minecraft Server

If you walk past the sweet castle and up onto the bridge, keep walking until the bridge is a single walkway. Keep walking until you see the sign for our Black Hole Cave. Once you do, drop down and follow the directions.. look for the area with 4 torches.

Go inside the cave, and down the stairs, and further down. We mined near the rockebed and found a "black hole". If you fall down, you're suspended in the night sky...
That was ridiculous, bro.
What's that like? Are you joining together in multiplayer and doing stuff like building houses and crops or are there specific challenges?
prakaa: Ok guys this is the GoG Minecraft Server

michaelleung: That was ridiculous, bro.
sure was dude, the most awesome bug
Tyler62092: What's that like? Are you joining together in multiplayer and doing stuff like building houses and crops or are there specific challenges?
Yes basically. There are two versions, creative and survival. Creative is survival without monsters. That server I gave you is creative. Survival coop would be sweet too..., but I guess you need to be on together at most points...

Anyone up for a survival server?
Post edited October 09, 2010 by prakaa
prakaa: Yes basically. There are two versions, creative and survival. Creative is survival without monsters. That server I gave you is creative. Survival coop would be sweet too..., but I guess you need to be on together at most points...
Well that sounds pretty cool. I think I remember seeing a blog post by Notch saying he was working on a new thing like survival, or was that just the new general game updates coming?
Post edited October 09, 2010 by Tyler62092
A GOG server?

Hmm... I guess I know where I'm spending this weekend!
Andy_Panthro: A GOG server?

Hmm... I guess I know where I'm spending this weekend!
Yup, the server is AMAZING
VirtualPenguin: Google cartographer for a map making program, I recommend oblique-angled mode for ease of identifying stuff.
and someone talked about an editor earlier, MCedit is my favorite by far.

Also do not get too attached to your world unless you often take a backup of it, because if the game or the computer crashes while playing it will often corrupt the file :(
Ingame map! ;) Descent-like would be fine, but hard to make believable ingame.

My computer froze [faulty disk, or something] with MC running, i had power off the machine as it was. Luckily, my save survived! Good to know, they do get corrupted. I'll back it up. Thanks!:)