It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

-the patcher only looks for thief.exe, as long as it's found, it will allow the install.

-an universal patcher for T2 already exists, google for TafferPatcher.

-you can install the new version on top of the old one, but a mission restart might be required.
voodoo47: -the patcher only looks for thief.exe, as long as it's found, it will allow the install.

-an universal patcher for T2 already exists, google for TafferPatcher.

-you can install the new version on top of the old one, but a mission restart might be required.
Thanks. Renaming the exe file to thief.exe made it work. I have no idea why GoG changed the name of the file, and I wouldn't have guessed to do that.
yeeeah, it seem like GOG did not apply the basic patch in the way I have intended (they moved the original exe to the backup folder). will give them a call.
Post edited June 19, 2013 by voodoo47
voodoo47: yeeeah, it seem like GOG did not apply the basic patch in the way I have intended (they moved the original exe to the backup folder). will give them a call.
Did the patch you give them have the the dml fixes for both games?
If my copies of Thief 1 & Thief 2 (complete with TFix and Tafferpatcher installed) are already working okay do I need to bother with GOG's recent updates ? Sorry if I'm repeating a question which others have already asked, I've only just noticed the updates.
no, if you are already using TafferPatcher and TFix, you don't need to update/reinstall.
daveG93: Did the patch you give them have the the dml fixes for both games?
actually, I've only gave GOG the Thief Gold patch (dml fixes included), they've made the T2 patch themselves.
voodoo47: no, if you are already using TafferPatcher and TFix, you don't need to update/reinstall.
Thanks. I've just seen the other sticky. I didn't know what the updates altered until I saw it. Many thanks again for TFix.
voodoo47: no, if you are already using TafferPatcher and TFix, you don't need to update/reinstall.
daveG93: Did the patch you give them have the the dml fixes for both games?
voodoo47: actually, I've only gave GOG the Thief Gold patch (dml fixes included), they've made the T2 patch themselves.
I tested Thief 2 my self and found that the annoying glitches like the missing loot in mission 1 and the stuck guard in mission 2 that were fix with Tafferpatcher are still there, so I'm guessing the more serious bugs are still in it. Also did the Thief Gold Patch you give them have the Mage's Tower dml too? (since you just added it to Tfix)
not completely - the new GOG install has the dml, but not the latest one. GOG has been informed & the proper files have been sent again, hopefully we'll have a complete build soon.

and yeah, if you want all the tiny fixes, you will have to get Tafferpatcher, NewDark will not fix mission bugs just by itself.
voodoo47: not completely - the new GOG install has the dml, but not the latest one. GOG has been informed & the proper files have been sent again, hopefully we'll have a complete build soon.

and yeah, if you want all the tiny fixes, you will have to get Tafferpatcher, NewDark will not fix mission bugs just by itself.
I was more worried about the mission ending bugs like in kidnap than small avoidable bugs like missing loot.
all the mission bugs that were in the original game will be present in the latest GOG build as well - as I've said, NewDark only updates the engine, nothing else.

also, anyone having issues with dloading the latest GOG installs? tried for the third time now, and I still get corrupted files.
voodoo47: also, anyone having issues with dloading the latest GOG installs? tried for the third time now, and I still get corrupted files.
Completely fine here.
The download was unusually slow for me yesterday when downloading the updated Thief Gold installer, and I had to use a download manager for it not to be interrupted, but I think it probably was related to the bad weather in the area affecting the general reliability and performance of my Internet access...
ZuFFuLuZ: Hi,

I just bought Thief Gold from GoG and installed it (and it works), but I can't install the fixer. I installed the game in "D:\Games\Thief\", but when I run the installer and change the destination folder to this, I get this error message:
"A valid Thief installation was not found in the selected directory.
Please choose a directory on your hard drive where Thief The Dark Projekt or Thief Gold has been installed."

This is not a protected windows folder, I'm running WinXp, I have tried other directories as well and I have even reinstalled the entire game. Still the same error. Any idea why that might be? Thanks.
DarthCruciare: I saw that Thief Gold had been updated, so I downloaded it. To my great delight, found that the cinematics FINALLY work in game. However, when trying to install the fix, I got exactly the same problem. My folder was C:\Games\Thief GOLD and it still couldn't find it. I assumed, correctly, that I couldn't be the only one with this problem. Anybody have any ideas?
The fix look for the Thief.exe file, the new GOG installer names the executable ThiefND.exe (or something like that, can't remember well). THere should be a "backup" folder inside the Thief installation folder: just copy the two files in there to the main folder, than patch. It worked for me.
voodoo47: If you'd like to try out the games before purchasing, free demos of and [url=http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141747]Thief2 are available (they include the engine and graphics updates).

NEW! TFix now uses NewDark (v1.21), the new amazing patch for dark engine based games.

I have compiled together the most important T1/TG fixes into one installer, so if you are having
problems running the GOG release, or just want to have better graphics/widescreen support,
go ahead and try it out (works for the regular and the GOG version, but do note that you are using
it on your own risk).

!!! IMPORTANT !!!
-you will need the latest redist and [url=http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5582]VC++2008, the game will NOT run unless you have them installed.
-STEAM users will have to manually copy their game into an unprotected (not monitored by steam) location (C:\Games for example), and patch (and run) the copy.

TFix 1.16 (100MB)

fixes/adds:
-widescreen, portrait resolutions, and Eyefinity support (NewDark)
-full 32bit rendering, fixes issues with new graphics hardware (NewDark)
-no more issues with cutscenes not playing (NewDark)
-no more issues with graphics related crashes and error messages (NewDark)
-no more resolution switching when entering menu or maps (NewDark)
-enhanced object models, textures and more (EP)
-improved models (hand/bow/sword, guards and more)
-improved water (t2 water)
-enhanced skies (static and dynamic)
-makes the game portable, so it can be moved around your hdd freely, and played from an usb thumb drive for example
-includes fixed missions

notes:
-requires win2000 or newer to run, latest and [url=http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5582]VC++2008 redistributable.
-do not set any compatibility modes on the exe, this will break the game
-installing the game to a protected folder (windows, program files etc) may result in strange and broken behaviour (vista/win7)
-OpenAL might cause the game to not launch. uninstall it if necessary.
-you might need to reboot after you are done with everything (vista/win7)

final note: this is a collection of patches and fixes made by many fans - I did not make any of them,
I just made the necessary edits and corrections to make it all work together.
Thanks so much for this! My movies weren't playing until I used this patch. Everything's perfect now! (My method here.)