It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

To make a long story short, it's broken on regular DOSBox too, *if* your copy of Master of Orion 2 isn't at c:\ (inside DOSBox) when you run ORION150. The launcher mounts the orion2 folder to c:\ and that works fine, but if it's at, say, c:\orion2, Orion150 crashes after displaying the "Please wait" message.

What I did:
I synced my DOS folder from Android to my PC and then on Windows, I removed from ORION2\: ORION150.exe, ORION2.CFG, 150\, and launcher\. Then I (re-)installed 1.50.21 using the launcher (because I had 1.50.18.3 installed and because I had installed it manually).
Then I told the launcher to use 150i and the 150i map.
Then I told it to run, and it got to the main menu just fine.
So I closed it down, and started DOSBox with my own conf, which is set up to be able to run MOO2 and mounts the folder containing ORION2 as C:, so that MOO2 is at c:\ORION2 (and lots of other things have their own folders in C:). I ran ORION150 from the ORION2 folder, and ORION150 crashed, but provided more info than either android app. I've included that below in case it's useful.
Then I made a copy of my conf and made changes to it in an attempt to get it working. I didn't meet with any success, so I copied the launcher's dosbox.conf entirely, changed the autoexec section to mount my DOS C:\ with MOO2 at C:\ORION2 in DOSBox. Then I tried running it again, and once again it crashed. Then I had an idea, and mounted the ORION2 folder instead, and then it got to the main menu (this is not, of course, how one would normally have DOS set up, heh).

On DOSBox 0.74.3 on Windows 10 Pro, when Orion150 exits abruptly, instead of the entire emulator crashing or freezing, ORION150 exits to the DOS prompt and says this:
MOO2 internal error:
[entry 0] could not be found

And the DOSBox console shows this:
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file dosbox - android.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32
One joystick reported, initializing with 4axis
Using joystick Controller (Xbox One For Windows) with 5 axes, 16 buttons and 1 hat(s)
Illegal read from 48434554, CS:IP 180: 32337f

(Now knowing better what's going on, I assume Magic DOSBox fails to catch the illegal read and goes down in flames itself as a result. No clue what lDosBox's deal is. Maybe the frontend is separate from the backend and the backend silently crashed or something. Who knows!)
Post edited June 06, 2023 by Trafalgar
Trafalgar: To make a long story short, it's broken on regular DOSBox too, *if* your copy of Master of Orion 2 isn't at c:\ (inside DOSBox) when you run ORION150. The launcher mounts the orion2 folder to c:\ and that works fine, but if it's at, say, c:\orion2, Orion150 crashes after displaying the "Please wait" message.

What I did:
I synced my DOS folder from Android to my PC and then on Windows, I removed from ORION2\: ORION150.exe, ORION2.CFG, 150\, and launcher\. Then I (re-)installed 1.50.21 using the launcher (because I had 1.50.18.3 installed and because I had installed it manually).
Then I told the launcher to use 150i and the 150i map.
Then I told it to run, and it got to the main menu just fine.
So I closed it down, and started DOSBox with my own conf, which is set up to be able to run MOO2 and mounts the folder containing ORION2 as C:, so that MOO2 is at c:\ORION2 (and lots of other things have their own folders in C:). I ran ORION150 from the ORION2 folder, and ORION150 crashed, but provided more info than either android app. I've included that below in case it's useful.
Then I made a copy of my conf and made changes to it in an attempt to get it working. I didn't meet with any success, so I copied the launcher's dosbox.conf entirely, changed the autoexec section to mount my DOS C:\ with MOO2 at C:\ORION2 in DOSBox. Then I tried running it again, and once again it crashed. Then I had an idea, and mounted the ORION2 folder instead, and then it got to the main menu (this is not, of course, how one would normally have DOS set up, heh).

On DOSBox 0.74.3 on Windows 10 Pro, when Orion150 exits abruptly, instead of the entire emulator crashing or freezing, ORION150 exits to the DOS prompt and says this:
MOO2 internal error:
[entry 0] could not be found

And the DOSBox console shows this:
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file dosbox - android.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32
One joystick reported, initializing with 4axis
Using joystick Controller (Xbox One For Windows) with 5 axes, 16 buttons and 1 hat(s)
Illegal read from 48434554, CS:IP 180: 32337f

(Now knowing better what's going on, I assume Magic DOSBox fails to catch the illegal read and goes down in flames itself as a result. No clue what lDosBox's deal is. Maybe the frontend is separate from the backend and the backend silently crashed or something. Who knows!)
You mounted to C: in your conf file? Don't you have to use an unused drive letter?
alcaray: You mounted to C: in your conf file? Don't you have to use an unused drive letter?
Your real hard drives don't exist to the emulated DOS inside DOSBox, you have to mount folders or disk images in DOSBox to have them show up in the emulated DOS (When GoG includes DOSBox with a game, they do this for you). You can use the commands to do so either from your conf file in the autoexec section, or at the command prompt. The only drive letter that exists by default in DOSBox is Z:.
Post edited June 06, 2023 by Trafalgar
Trafalgar: [...] *if* your copy of Master of Orion 2 isn't at c:\ (inside DOSBox) when you run ORION150. The launcher mounts the orion2 folder to c:\ and that works fine, but if it's at, say, c:\orion2, Orion150 crashes after displaying the "Please wait" message. [...]
Yes, coz the 1.50 patch expects that you did mount to the MOO2 directory root in your .conf file, as MOO2 Launcher does indeed by default.
alcaray: You mounted to C: in your conf file? Don't you have to use an unused drive letter?
Trafalgar: Your real hard drives don't exist to the emulated DOS inside DOSBox, you have to mount folders or disk images in DOSBox to have them show up in the emulated DOS (When GoG includes DOSBox with a game, they do this for you). You can use the commands to do so either from your conf file in the autoexec section, or at the command prompt. The only drive letter that exists by default in DOSBox is Z:.
Huh. Then I've been unnecessarily restrictive for all these years. Not that it matters.
patch version 1.50.22 has been released today.
- On the next turn, an Antaran fleet will attack the player colony of Jabo (lower right corner of the map). Under 1.50.21, this attack would occur immediately, as soon as the Antarans warped in, without giving the player an opportunity to mount a defense; however, this appears to have been corrected under 1.50.22, as the ETA of the Antaran fleet is now one turn. May still prove useful as a test case. Save here.

- A space flux is in effect. On the next turn, a player scout en route to the unexplored Polaris system (lower left) will encounter a space amoeba guarding it. The scout can safely retreat from the battle before the amoeba attacks, but due to the space flux, it cannot enter hyperspace to retreat to a player colony. This causes the scout to vanish from the galaxy map, effectively destroying it. Save here.

- When the player has both outpost ships and colony ships available, it can occasionally be difficult to deploy them from the "Planets" tab. The game selects colony ships by default, and if the player attempts to click the "outpost ship" button, sometimes nothing will happen, and the button will not be highlighted. (Simply selecting a destination for a colony ship and then picking a different planet for an outpost ship will work around this problem and will also cause the buttons to function normally from that point on.) This behavior is inconsistent, but seems to most regularly occur when loading a fresh save. A test case is here.
srhill: - When the player has both outpost ships and colony ships available, it can occasionally be difficult to deploy them from the "Planets" tab. The game selects colony ships by default, and if the player attempts to click the "outpost ship" button, sometimes nothing will happen, and the button will not be highlighted. (Simply selecting a destination for a colony ship and then picking a different planet for an outpost ship will work around this problem and will also cause the buttons to function normally from that point on.) This behavior is inconsistent, but seems to most regularly occur when loading a fresh save. A test case is here.
Yes confirmed that wonkyness from planet screen can alo deploy from the starmap screen which I did (though if I "start over" , that is route unroute the colony and outpost ships from the starmap screen, the outpost button could light up in the planet screen, beware of changing mind by routing / rerouting there.

Anyway, mod installed and MOO2 150.22 ran fine especially after changing dosbox.config of all instances of 44100 to 22050 and IRQ from 7 to 5 (which stopped music from stuttering )
cycles=75000 (from auto) game ran smoother

core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=75000
#cycles=auto
#cycles=max
cycleup=1000
cycledown=1000

also like this:

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=overlay
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

Keep up the good work!

FYI I must congratulate the original designers decision for the choice of the MOO2 background music, though it is playing the same track over and over , in my hearing anyway, it does NOT at all become annoyingly repetitious, but a placid soothness.
Post edited October 25, 2023 by SteamGog
Rocco.40: patch version 1.50.22 has been released today.
Perhaps a silly question....would it be better to offer gog each update to have them supply an optional prepatched game?

As in, the untouched game and an option of yours baked into it? They do this with Gothic, so why not moo2?
srhill: - On the next turn, an Antaran fleet will attack the player colony of Jabo (lower right corner of the map). Under 1.50.21, this attack would occur immediately, as soon as the Antarans warped in, without giving the player an opportunity to mount a defense; however, this appears to have been corrected under 1.50.22, as the ETA of the Antaran fleet is now one turn. May still prove useful as a test case. Save here.

- A space flux is in effect. On the next turn, a player scout en route to the unexplored Polaris system (lower left) will encounter a space amoeba guarding it. The scout can safely retreat from the battle before the amoeba attacks, but due to the space flux, it cannot enter hyperspace to retreat to a player colony. This causes the scout to vanish from the galaxy map, effectively destroying it. Save here.

- When the player has both outpost ships and colony ships available, it can occasionally be difficult to deploy them from the "Planets" tab. The game selects colony ships by default, and if the player attempts to click the "outpost ship" button, sometimes nothing will happen, and the button will not be highlighted. (Simply selecting a destination for a colony ship and then picking a different planet for an outpost ship will work around this problem and will also cause the buttons to function normally from that point on.) This behavior is inconsistent, but seems to most regularly occur when loading a fresh save. A test case is here.
sorry for very late reply.
1. I did not observe a difference between 1.50.21 and 1.50.22 with your save, but maybe i did something wrong. we did not explicitely fix something in .22 in this department.
2. The scout had to retreat but at the same time couldn't retreat into hyperspace, causing this loss. i do not view this as a bug rather as an unfortunate coincidence.
3. minor annoyance indeed. 'sometimes' seems to be mostly at the first try, later it happens less (or not anymore?).
Shmacky-McNuts: Perhaps a silly question....would it be better to offer gog each update to have them supply an optional prepatched game?
As in, the untouched game and an option of yours baked into it? They do this with Gothic, so why not moo2?
it's up to gog really.
if you do have a gog install of the game, installation of 1.50 should be quite easy already. the MOO2 Launcher autodetects gog installation.
Post edited February 18, 2024 by Rocco.40
Currently on my second playthrough and this time I installed 1.50 for comparison. It's a definite enhancement of an old legend and all efforts that went into this unofficial patch is highly appreciated. Those sluggish screen fade-ins and -outs was alone driving me crazy and the new build list feature is a major convenience. Playing specifically 1.50.22 improved I would like to give some thoughts regarding the user-interface.

In the Colonies Screen the displayed minimap position of a highlighted colony is hardly noticeable. Maybe one day it can have a reticle similar to the one found in the Planet Screen minimap.

Scrolling the Planet Screen's table list with the shortcut keys +/- are inversed. This must be an oversight.

Would love to see the "SPACE bar" shortcut assigned to RETURN/CLOSE for more screens and popups like the examples below.
- Screens: Planets, Fleets, Leaders, Races, Info and Game.
- Popups: Star System and Fleet.
My motive is that I've mapped right-click to spacebar, making it control like in MoO1 were right-click is used to exit a current menu. Mapping it to ESC isn't preferable in MoO2 due to it canceling any planned build queues.