It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

tinyE: ...
I'd rather try something like this.
TheGrand547: the closest I got was my cat laying beside me for a couple minutes, other than that today's been awful :(
If it really was that bad, odds are that tomorrow will be better!
Post edited April 08, 2018 by ciemnogrodzianin
tinyE: ...
ciemnogrodzianin: I'd rather try something like this.
TheGrand547: the closest I got was my cat laying beside me for a couple minutes, other than that today's been awful :(
ciemnogrodzianin: If it really was that bad, odds are that tomorrow will be better!
doubtful
timppu: How close is close? At one point I lived 2 km (=1.24 miles) away from the office, which I felt was quite nice. I usually walked that distance even though it took about 20 minutes to walk, but I took it as my daily exercise. That's why some birds build a nest into my car's engine compartment, as the car was standing there unused for so long.

(I have no idea why I didn't use a bicycle, probably I just didn't feel like buying one, and felt carrying a laptop bag is easier while walking. Oh and if it rains, I hate cycling as I am supposed to wear some kind of plastic coat in order not to get wet, not just keeping an umbrella in one hand while walking.)

Now my work trip is 32 km (almost 20 miles), but it is fine as long as I can use a car. It takes around 25 minutes to drive there even during rush hours, as I am driving "against" the traffic, most drivers are going to the opposite direction to me.

Which reminds me that today I am supposed to change my winter tires to summer tires, so better to go do it right now...
It's about a mile. Compare to 25 miles before my move. If course, the office is also moving soon, but even after that, the distance will be only about 5 miles.
My commute is either about 75 feet when I'm home or a minimum of 2 hours whenever I visit customers. I usually try to combine visits, hitting multiple places in one trip, but it doesn't always work that way.

Fortunately, I've had pretty good luck with scheduling this year: for instance, about 4 weeks back I had to go to Louisville for some service work and a customer a couple hours west needed some big parts that would be a pain to ship. No sweat - throw them in the back of the Outback and drop them off along the way. Turns out, after placing that order they called the OEM with a problem on a machine. OEM calls me asking if I can go down there. Well, shit, I'm already headed there; I'll simply leave a day early so I have time to fix the machine without messing up the original customer's schedule.

Got the parts delivered, fixed the machine, and took care of the Louisville customer. As I'm signing paperwork with those guys, I get a call from a customer about 90 minutes west, needing a visit. See you in a couple hours! Rarely works that way, but I've had good luck in that regard this year. This week, managed to get three customers to agree to a schedule that makes for an easy 600-mile week, instead of double amount that by bouncing back and forth.
HereForTheBeer: My commute is either about 75 feet when I'm home or a minimum of 2 hours whenever I visit customers. I usually try to combine visits, hitting multiple places in one trip, but it doesn't always work that way.

Fortunately, I've had pretty good luck with scheduling this year: for instance, about 4 weeks back I had to go to Louisville for some service work and a customer a couple hours west needed some big parts that would be a pain to ship. No sweat - throw them in the back of the Outback and drop them off along the way. Turns out, after placing that order they called the OEM with a problem on a machine. OEM calls me asking if I can go down there. Well, shit, I'm already headed there; I'll simply leave a day early so I have time to fix the machine without messing up the original customer's schedule.

Got the parts delivered, fixed the machine, and took care of the Louisville customer. As I'm signing paperwork with those guys, I get a call from a customer about 90 minutes west, needing a visit. See you in a couple hours! Rarely works that way, but I've had good luck in that regard this year. This week, managed to get three customers to agree to a schedule that makes for an easy 600-mile week, instead of double amount that by bouncing back and forth.
Interesting thought just occurred to me, and I know you have similar weather to me so you'll understand. In a blizzard a commute of a few feet can take ages. ;P Some days I'll just say "Screw the mail; I'm not walking down there!"
HereForTheBeer: My commute is either about 75 feet when I'm home or a minimum of 2 hours whenever I visit customers. I usually try to combine visits, hitting multiple places in one trip, but it doesn't always work that way.
You must have a good/comfortable/reliable car then, considering how much you drive for work.

My car is just the same old cheap Toyota, with which I've been quite happy though, mainly as it has been quite troublefree all these years, unlike the Volkswagen I had before it which gave me massive problems over the years.

Anyways, if I really am going to drive around 40-50 miles every day from now on (mostly on highways), I think I need to buy a new car, a bigger car. Maybe even with an automatic transmission this time (we Europeons are odd that way, we seem to like our manual transmission, I just feel it gives me more control or something, maybe being also more reliable, not breaking up as easily).
timppu: You must have a good/comfortable/reliable car then, considering how much you drive for work.

My car is just the same old cheap Toyota, with which I've been quite happy though, mainly as it has been quite troublefree all these years, unlike the Volkswagen I had before it which gave me massive problems over the years.

Anyways, if I really am going to drive around 40-50 miles every day from now on (mostly on highways), I think I need to buy a new car, a bigger car. Maybe even with an automatic transmission this time (we Europeons are odd that way, we seem to like our manual transmission, I just feel it gives me more control or something, maybe being also more reliable, not breaking up as easily).
I highly recommend Lexus NX. I'm on my second one and the highest praise I can possibly give. I change cars every 2-3 years and only once before in my life was I so satisfied with a car that I replaced it with the same model.

It seems to fit your requirements pretty well too. It has the same Toyota reliability, only better. It's bigger, but not enormous. It's automatic but still lets you change gears if you so desire. Take one for a test drive, see if you like it.
I was able to cross-compile a simple Rust program; I compiled it on my Linux PC (Debian) and ran the resulting executable on my Raspberry Pi Zero (buildroot).

(Of course, it was just a Hello World program, but that's enough to demonstrate that my setup works, and it should work for more complicated code as well.)
I walked to work today, for the first time in my life.

Edit: Military doesn't count. Hotels, while traveling for work, don't count either.
Post edited April 10, 2018 by Alaric.us
Driving my gorgeous Abarth Spider 124.
OldOldGamer: Driving my gorgeous Abarth Spider 124.
SHE'S A BEAUTY!

Seriously, do they make a four wheel drive model? I get 23 feet of snow a year. Can I put a blower or a blade on it?
Attachments:
car.jpg (60 Kb)
Post edited April 10, 2018 by tinyE
OldOldGamer: Driving my gorgeous Abarth Spider 124.
Nice weather, eh? =) Looks good, has sort of a Miata size and style. I drove a Miata for a year, then replaced it with an SLK, which I very much recommend, except for very long trips. Driving it from Seattle to Chicago was a bit uncomfortable.
And - here it is! Have a great profits! ;)
ciemnogrodzianin: And - here it is! Have a great profits! ;)
Thank you! I only get 6% so ... will probably be enough to buy some ice-cream. =)
6%? Interesting. I was always curious how the profits from bundles are shared. It looks that you've already +200$. Easily covers the expenses, if you don't count the most important - your time ;)