It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Did a 70km mountain bike race. Damn near killed me, but felt great to be back on the saddle again post covid.
Post edited May 23, 2021 by Matewis
Ported over 4 games from my old mothballed win7 system that hasn't seen daylight in years to my current one.
No installs, just copied the directories onto a memory stick then to the active machine.

X2 - The Threat
Alpha Centauri
Homeworld: Cataclysm
Total Annihilation

All of them worked flawlessly first time, with the single exception of HwC which needed the display renderer re-setting.

Quite happy with how that went.
Matewis: Did a 70km mountain bike race. Damn near killed me, but felt great to be back on the saddle again post covid.
Well done. But post covid? Is the epidemic gone in South Africa?
DubConqueror: Well done. But post covid? Is the epidemic gone in South Africa?
Thank you :) No I supposed I phrased that a bit poorly - I meant after its onset. Currently we are on the cusp of a third wave, perhaps in part because of a nasty variant from India that recently entered the country. Which is a real pity since up to recently things seemed to be going ok numbers wise.
As for the bike race, they were pretty strict regarding regulations: masks, no spectators etc.
Post edited May 24, 2021 by Matewis
DubConqueror: Well done. But post covid? Is the epidemic gone in South Africa?
Matewis: Thank you :) No I supposed I phrased that a bit poorly - I meant after its onset. Currently we are on the cusp of a third wave, perhaps in part because of a nasty variant from India that recently entered the country. Which is a real pity since up to recently things seemed to be going ok numbers wise.
As for the bike race, they were pretty strict regarding regulations: masks, no spectators etc.
I see. Good luck with tackling the third wave. Our country is finely past the cusp of the third wave due to vaccination taking progress. As far as I know, we haven't got the Indian variant here luckily. How's the vaccination going in South Africa?

I wish you lots of fun on the bike trail.
DubConqueror: I see. Good luck with tackling the third wave. Our country is finely past the cusp of the third wave due to vaccination taking progress. As far as I know, we haven't got the Indian variant here luckily. How's the vaccination going in South Africa?

I wish you lots of fun on the bike trail.
Only healthworkers so far, and still in the very initial stages of rollouts for the elderly. A snail's pace it seems, but our government unfortunately doesn't exactly have a good track record of managing, well, anything :\
I'm happy to hear it appears to be going better across the pond though :)
low rated
Big News coming about due to things like Operation Warp Speed: A big win for many people if they prove successful, I would think.
Post edited May 25, 2021 by GamezRanker
Getting take-away fish n' chips + dim sims and fish cakes

Dim sims

Fish cakes and chips(Small they are not actual size)

Fish cocktail (Small they are not actual size)

Also these

Except with white bread

That was a good lunch!
Post edited May 25, 2021 by fr33kSh0w2012
We watched Frozen. Again.

Even though it was released in 2013, it was only after catching the first song, when the movie was broadcast about a month ago, that I was prompted to purchase it and the sequel; such concinnity of meme, lyric, and harmony.
It is impossible to watch these and be in a bad mood. Idina Menzel makes the movie, though the cast are all very talented singers. Unusually, all the sung advice is uncommonly good, too. :)
Even if we watch another (like Incredibles II, last night) there hasn't been a day pass since that we haven't watched either movie.

edit: corrected Ms Menzel's name with linkie.
Post edited May 25, 2021 by scientiae
low rated
fr33kSh0w2012: That was a good lunch!
Noice
I got a big bottle of whiskey (Chivas Regal 12) as a birthday present over a year ago.

https://www.alko.fi/en/products/001277/Chivas-Regal-12-Years-Old/

I hate the taste of whiskey, so all this time I wondered what will I do with that bottle. Give it as a present to someone else or what.

Last week I finally got it: I can easily drink it with Coca Cola. Woohoo! I just drank about 1.5 dl of whiskey (50% whiskey, 50 coca cola).

Yes I am intoxicated (or seriously "tipsy", as I can still at least write to internets, albeit I keep typoing all the time) right now. Quick, ask me something stupid.

Damn I could get used to this, being tipsy.

matterbandit: I was on the city bus today and the driver made a sudden but safe stop. It was right next to a large park. He quickly popped out of the bus to fetch a soccer ball that had been kicked over a very high fence and he kicked it right back over to the handful of soccer players. Everybody on the bus clapped when he popped back in and carried on driving. Just moments ago, we were a bunch of silent masked passengers and then we were cheering in unison. It made me happy for the rest of the day!
You guys play soccer too, not just ice hockey?!?

We do too! Woohoo we are so samey!
Post edited May 25, 2021 by timppu
timppu: I got a big bottle of whiskey (Chivas Regal 12) as a birthday present over a year ago.

https://www.alko.fi/en/products/001277/Chivas-Regal-12-Years-Old/

I hate the taste of whiskey, so all this time I wondered what will I do with that bottle. Give it as a present to someone else or what.

Last week I finally got it: I can easily drink it with Coca Cola. Woohoo! I just drank about 1.5 dl of whiskey (50% whiskey, 50 coca cola).

Yes I am intoxicated (or seriously "tipsy", as I can still at least write to internets, albeit I keep typoing all the time) right now. Quick, ask me something stupid.

Damn I could get used to this, being tipsy.
Just don't drive or operate heavy machinery.

And, of course, don't do anything risky with your computer. (Assuming you're on Windows, avoid doing anything that prompts the question of whether a program should be allowed to make changes to your computer, at least until sober. Also, avoid doing anything that would result on a charge to your credit card or money taken from your bank account.)
timppu: I've always been annoyed by having to buy canned air to get rid of dust in electronics and elsewhere. […]

ANYWAY! Yesterday I accidentally saw a local store selling a similar product online, so of course I ordered it! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

https://www.jimms.fi/fi/Product/Show/135153/eg-2000/it-dusters-compucleaner-xpert-sahkoinen-ilmapuhdistuslaite-musta

All the reviews there are very positive too, the users seem very happy with the product.

There is also another model of this same being sold on the store, 10€ cheaper too, but I ordered this one as it seems to be a bit more powerful (550W vs. 500W), and has two different power levels. So a bit more advanced than the cheaper model.

Dust, begone!
Don't forget to post your testimonial here for our delectation, since there are others —— like you —— who eschew dust in their quotidian silicon adventures.
Matewis: Bought a heated foot massager with the hope that it will help with circulation in the winter months. I absolutely hate my feet starting to feel icy while trying to work and concentrate at my desk in the evenings since it is really distracting (weirdly even socks with shoes often do not help, which is what makes me wonder if perhaps I have poor blood circulation in my feet). So far at least it seems to be working very well.
Additional lines of enquiry: Do your feet change colour?, and Do you get pins-and-needles when they warm up?
See a doctor immediately if you develop a sore or infection on your toe.

Color changes in your skin in response to cold or stress
Numb, prickly feeling or stinging pain upon warming or stress relief
Mayo Clinic

Raynaud’s phenomenon is a disorder that causes decreased blood flow to the fingers. In some cases, it also causes less blood flow to the ears, toes, nipples, knees, or nose.
Spasms of blood vessels happen in response to cold, stress, or emotional upset.

What is Raynaud's phenomenon?

Raynaud’s phenomenon is a problem that causes decreased blood flow to the fingers. In some cases, it also causes less blood flow to the ears, toes, nipples, knees, or nose. This happens due to spasms of blood vessels in those areas. The spasms happen in response to cold, stress, or emotional upset.

Raynaud’s can occur on its own, known as primary form. Or it may happen along with other diseases, known as secondary form. The diseases most often linked with Raynaud’s are autoimmune or connective tissue diseases […]
The primary form of Raynaud’s is the most common type. It often begins between ages 15 and 25. It’s less severe than secondary Raynaud’s. People with primary Raynaud’s do not often develop a related condition.

Certain factors can increase your risk of developing the condition, such as:
A connective tissue or autoimmune disease
Chemical exposure
Cigarette smoking
Injury or trauma
Repetitive actions, such as typing or use of tools that vibrate like a jack hammer
Side effects from certain medicines
Johns Hopkins
NIH
Other vascular diseases that also cause pain, from WebMD.
What is vascular disease?
Post edited May 26, 2021 by scientiae
dtgreene: Just don't drive or operate heavy machinery.

And, of course, don't do anything risky with your computer. (Assuming you're on Windows, avoid doing anything that prompts the question of whether a program should be allowed to make changes to your computer, at least until sober. Also, avoid doing anything that would result on a charge to your credit card or money taken from your bank account.)
Yeah I have sometimes bought some pretty pricey items intoxicated, including games from GOG.com.

Fortunately I didn't end up ordering some overpriced gaming laptop online yesterday, that could have been a possibility. Or an electric car, both of which are in my shopping list.
Post edited May 26, 2021 by timppu
scientiae: Don't forget to post your testimonial here for our delectation, since there are others —— like you —— who eschew dust in their quotidian silicon adventures.
1. It is pretty heavy (to keep in one hand), compared to having a can of compressed air.

2. It is quite loud (but to me that is ok, I can use earplugs if needed).

3. The airflow is quite strong, which is good. It is definitely suitable for blowing off dust from computers or whatever.

4. Apparently the compressor can heat up quite fast, making the blown air also hot. The instructions say one should use it in small bursts to keep it relatively cool.

5. It doesn't come with a similar thin and long nozzle as air cans do, so it may be harder to reach some tighter areas with it. Frankly I think they should have included some kind of longer, flexible nozzle with it which could reach tighter spots, while you keep the compressor unit itself e.g. on a table next to the computer.

I guess it is possible to build such a nozzle yourself, just connect some kind of longer plastic tube it to the existing nozzle with airduct tape. That should work.

Overall I think it is good, I don't see myself buying any more compressed air cans.