It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

HereForTheBeer: Just installed Freespace and am giving it a go. Really impressed with it so far.
timppu: At which difficulty level are you playing it? :) When I played it earlier (maybe two years ago) with the highest difficulty, I kept complaining here how unfair the game is at times, especially the last mission. Somehow I was still able to finish it, but it left a bad taste into my mouth.
I went with the default level. I think there are five levels, and default is a step above "Complete Weenie". So I'm only a partial weenie.

I may end up going with a port next time around. Played a mission last night where you have to sneak around in a captured vessel and get close to some enemy craft while avoiding others. Problem is avoiding the snoopers since the vanilla game doesn't give particularly good situational awareness for cases like this. Which probably simulates the outer space experience pretty well, but it's not great for a game. Maybe a port fixes that, improving visual and radar awareness. Ended up doing poorly on that mission and now the bad guys are knocking on the Vasudan's front door. : ) Just means different challenges, I suppose.
HereForTheBeer: Played a mission last night where you have to sneak around in a captured vessel and get close to some enemy craft while avoiding others.
Yes, Judas... this can be a very frustrating mission. Although once you get the hang of it, it isn't that hard. It's just a lot of trial and error until you find a position where you're relatively safe. And in the end (you'll get detected anyway), remember just to fly away with all power to engines until you are able to jump.
Today I will play Tangledeep - just have to wait to be out of EA.
HereForTheBeer: Played a mission last night where you have to sneak around in a captured vessel and get close to some enemy craft while avoiding others.
toxicTom: Yes, Judas... this can be a very frustrating mission. Although once you get the hang of it, it isn't that hard. It's just a lot of trial and error until you find a position where you're relatively safe. And in the end (you'll get detected anyway), remember just to fly away with all power to engines until you are able to jump.
Haha - I stayed and fought it out until the area was clear. They say in the briefing that boost and weapons don't work? Lying Liarsons... Managed to kablooey a destroyer and still got the scan on the big ship, but they called it a failed mission. Oh well.
Has anyone here played Diablo 2 from Blizzard (Battle.net) not off a CD?
tinyE: I am LOVING StarCraft 2. It improves on the original in almost every way.

I just wish Blizzard weren't such assholes. Given what they make you go through just to play the damn thing, if the game isn't amazing, it's not worth it.
What I love especially is how every single one of the terran units available in SC1 is available in SC2's single player campaign - from the goliath to the medic to the science vessel. I was worried that SC2 would have much more of a multiplayer focus, but it's clear that the single player is insanely well polished.
dtgreene: Just decided to try out Mega Man: The Wily Wars. Why did they make t much more difficult to defeat Cut Man with the arm cannon?

I don't think I'll continue with this game.

I've been playing Dust: An Elysian Tail lately, but now need to figure out what game to play next.
Then allow me to suggest : Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead for no other reason than that is what I'm playing right now, it is bleeping excellent and you don't seem to be overly concerned with graphics.
Attachments:
egtileset.png (367 Kb)
There goes my plan for a no death run in The Witcher 3. Again.
118 hours in and Geralt decided to slide on a narrow mountain path and hit the rocky edge. Ugh. It's not like he fell off the bloody mountain... That's just silly.
Anyway, gwent opponents seem more challenging. They're using spies, heroes, medics, decoys, etc.
Also, there's so much snow in the isles. And the music....
Amazing game.
Post edited February 01, 2018 by patrikc
dtgreene: Just decided to try out Mega Man: The Wily Wars. Why did they make t much more difficult to defeat Cut Man with the arm cannon?

I don't think I'll continue with this game.

I've been playing Dust: An Elysian Tail lately, but now need to figure out what game to play next.
Matewis: Then allow me to suggest : Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead for no other reason than that is what I'm playing right now, it is bleeping excellent and you don't seem to be overly concerned with graphics.
That game looks like a roguelike. Does it have permadeath? If so, I'm probably noot interested.

Decided to take another go at Mega Man: The Wily Wars. Managed to defeat Guts Man (whose stage is *not* beginner friendly; the game throws you into the deep end, with its gimmick presented in a case where failure is death, without it being presented in a safer environment first), and used his otherwise useless weapon to defeat Cut Man, then Elec Man came down easily.

Yes, that does mean that getting the Magnet Beam before Guts Man isn't practical in this version. (In the original, you could get the MB by playing Elec Man's stage twice (using Elec Man's weapon to get the MB), or by doing a bizarre glitch to get the MB without either weapon (and being careful to avoid the softlock known as MB Jail (IIRC)).

One nice thing is that the Wily Wars version of MM1 actually does save your progress through the robot master stages; the original had no save system at all.

I still wonder why they made the Arm Cannon only do 1 damage (instead of 3) to Cut Man; makes the old route through the game infeasible.
dtgreene: That game looks like a roguelike. Does it have permadeath? If so, I'm probably noot interested.
Yes it is, but permadeath is trivially beaten because you can save ingame. Unless you step on a mine or something like that you'll know beforehand that you're about to die, in which case you just load your save. But if you do die then a prompt will appear which will overwrite your saves if you respond to it with a Y/N. So you just minimize and close the game, start the game again and load your save.
Also the game has a configurable 'safe-mode' which you can toggle on and off which forces you to react to a prompt detailing any possible threat. Eg walking in the forest and catching a glimpse of a zombified german shepard.

Here's a good trailer
tinyE: I am LOVING StarCraft 2. It improves on the original in almost every way.

I just wish Blizzard weren't such assholes. Given what they make you go through just to play the damn thing, if the game isn't amazing, it's not worth it.
the drm on the thing was cracked decades ago. and the 100mb stream per level is slow and i'm pretty sure the drm causes performance issues. drm-free on gog and it's an instabuy.

edit - currently playing sam and max season 3. i started from season 1. almost a year now since i started the sam and max tri-athlon. will move onto tales of monkey island.

actively playing broken age and day of the tentacle (need a walkthrough :P). also currently playing bastion, two brothers, rebel galaxy

will start new game+ of witcher 3. may start dreamfall chapters

as you can see, no single game holds my attention to the end but i get there eventually. :)
Post edited February 02, 2018 by timmy010
tinyE: Has anyone here played Diablo 2 from Blizzard (Battle.net) not off a CD?
Maybe this will help you, I did not try it myself though...
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/16544224694
Post edited February 02, 2018 by TheyLive1984
tinyE: Has anyone here played Diablo 2 from Blizzard (Battle.net) not off a CD?
TheyLive1984: Maybe this will help you, I did not try it myself though...
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/16544224694
Thanks but I actually just had a few minor performance questions. I'd like to forgo my old overused scratched to hell CDs and just grab it there, but I want to know some stuff first.
FIVE: Guardians of David, which centers around the bodyguards of the biblical Goliath slayer David (Goliath is an early boss which you get to fight as David). David is too popular for his own good, so he needs bodyguards. Also, bible quote collectibles, yay!

It's an action-rpg like Diablo and much more fun to play than the few other Diablo-likes I've played. It's much better than it has any right to be. Everything is simply done well, which is surprising to find in an unknown game.
Dark Souls 3

I'm not really feeling it like I did Bloodborne, but it certainly has its moments, and I like it a lot better than Dark Souls 2. The boss fights are mostly good, and finally beating a boss who's been kicking you around for the last hour remains immensely satisfying. From constantly being slaughtered before I could even [I]hit[/I] the Pontiff, to consistently getting him into his second phase, to finally beating him was a great feeling. Area design seems fine, although it hasn't really blown me away like some of its predecessors did. Then again, fewer areas that I absolutely hate than Dark Souls 2; so far, only the obligatory shitty poison swamp level that everyone hates, but keeps finding its way back into these games. On the negative side, it's amazing to me that after Demon Souls, DSI and DSII, and Bloodborne, they can't make the camera work a little better; the first time I came really close to beating the aforementioned Pontiff ended with me trapped against a wall, literally unable to see my character or my surroundings, yelling at my TV, "Not like this!"
Post edited February 02, 2018 by BadDecissions