It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

dtgreene: Look up Cadash speedruns on YouTube; they tend to skip the scale.
I might have but I don't remember and I don't care for speedruns.
It's not like I don't know what Terranigma IS but I haven't played it and most of those JRPG games you mention.
As for Cadash again, it's one of those cases where I have to prefer the English or Italian translation over the Japanese, because the Japanese version is too artificially hard, and I think items are more expensive too. I don't have the same memory for games details you have :) Also I played it in Italian at the arcade so even if it's really bad, and precisely for that reason, I'm still laughing at it.
Dogmaus: It's not like I don't know what Terranigma IS but I haven't played it and most of those JRPG games you mention.
I actually don't consider the games I mentioned to be RPGs, as they're really action games with some elements borrowed from the RPG genre (and Actraiser's action sequences feel very much like an arcade game might).
Dogmaus: As for Cadash again, it's one of those cases where I have to prefer the English or Italian translation over the Japanese, because the Japanese version is too artificially hard, and I think items are more expensive too. I don't have the same memory for games details you have :) Also I played it in Italian at the arcade so even if it's really bad, and precisely for that reason, I'm still laughing at it.
Apparently, the version released in the US was just as hard as the Japanese version.

Also, much of the English translation reads a lot like machine translations, as that's the only other instance I've seen that sort of phrasing. (Good thing the game isn't that text heavy.)
Post edited March 06, 2021 by dtgreene
dtgreene: I actually don't consider the games I mentioned to be RPGs, as they're really action games with some elements borrowed from the RPG genre (and Actraiser's action sequences feel very much like an arcade game might).
Apparently, the version released in the US was just as hard as the Japanese version.

Also, much of the English translation reads a lot like machine translations, as that's the only other instance I've seen that sort of phrasing. (Good thing the game isn't that text heavy.)
Ok, so it must be the Italian version that's easier - or less unfair, points of view.
Anyway, as far as differences among versions:

[spoiler]

The Japanese and US versions of the original arcade game are much more difficult than the other versions. The most noticeable changes are that the player can only carry half as many herbs and antidotes, and herbs are considerably more expensive to buy. The price of sleeping at an inn increases from 50 to 200 to 1000 to 6000 to 30000 gold with each subsequent stay, while in the overseas versions the maximum price for staying at an inn remains at 5,000 gold. The hidden Dragon Amulet only rewards 10,000 gold, as opposed to the maximum amount of 65,535 in the other versions. As for differences in character gameplay, the priestess's Recover Time spell adds only 30 seconds to the game's timer, as opposed to a full minute in the other versions. Finally, bosses have much more health in the Japanese and US versions of Cadash, which is easily apparent by comparing the number of attacks (such as the Mage's Explosion spell) required to defeat the bosses.

[/spoiler]

But I'm not sure that the only English version would be the US one. Didn't they have Cadash in the UK at all?
dtgreene: I actually don't consider the games I mentioned to be RPGs, as they're really action games with some elements borrowed from the RPG genre (and Actraiser's action sequences feel very much like an arcade game might).

Dogmaus: Ok, so it must be the Italian version that's easier - or less unfair, points of view.
Anyway, as far as differences among versions:

[spoiler]

The Japanese and US versions of the original arcade game are much more difficult than the other versions. The most noticeable changes are that the player can only carry half as many herbs and antidotes, and herbs are considerably more expensive to buy. The price of sleeping at an inn increases from 50 to 200 to 1000 to 6000 to 30000 gold with each subsequent stay, while in the overseas versions the maximum price for staying at an inn remains at 5,000 gold. The hidden Dragon Amulet only rewards 10,000 gold, as opposed to the maximum amount of 65,535 in the other versions. As for differences in character gameplay, the priestess's Recover Time spell adds only 30 seconds to the game's timer, as opposed to a full minute in the other versions. Finally, bosses have much more health in the Japanese and US versions of Cadash, which is easily apparent by comparing the number of attacks (such as the Mage's Explosion spell) required to defeat the bosses.

[/spoiler]

But I'm not sure that the only English version would be the US one. Didn't they have Cadash in the UK at all?
My understanding is that there *is* an English UK version, which has the European difficulty but is in English.
Well, Timespinner just crashed on me.

(Interestingly enough, I had no crashes playing Bloodstained, which is a much longer game. though I believe this is the only time I've ever seen Timespinner crash.)
Back to Grim Dawn after couple of months, and what a disappointment it is. After all those updates and balance changes the game remains unbalanced. Haha. I will have to give up on it, as i did for almost two years. Dawn Of Man is giving me a daily dose of frustration with its very limited AI capability and the flawed game design. I jump in The incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing - Final Cut from time to time for the daily challenges.

I have plans to go back to Tropico 5 and Torchlight.
Post edited March 07, 2021 by Wishmaster777
Persona 5 Strikers:

I'm having a blast, been playing the game non stop. :)

Probably going to be my game of the year...well, along with Shin Megami Tensei III (remaster) which is going to release this year. :P
Post edited March 08, 2021 by NuffCatnip
NuffCatnip: Persona 5 Strikers:

Mind giving some impressions and idea of gameplay? Persona 4 is probably one of my FAVORITE games ever - still pissed I never went back and picked up P3 FES.

... and after a looooong hiatus I'm thinking of possibly picking up a PS 5 (if I can find one - I went out today and was told they're virtually impossible to get? Weren't they out last holiday?). I realized recently I want a Blu-ray player and after seeing the price of a console is only a couple hundred more than the players I was looking at I'm thinking of taking the plunge...

Feel free to PM what account setup and such is like on a modern console - if the thing is a total integrated social media linked machine my curmudgeonly old self might pass. If it just makes you create a Playstation Store account of some sort (that doesn't automagically create a Facespace, Twitter, Instatok page all at once) I might be okay with it...

Probably going to be my game of the year...well, along with Shin Megami Tensei III (remaster) which is going to release this year. :P
Word of advice: If you're going to play SMT3. don't play it on the hardest difficulty, at least not on your first playthrough. The game can get unfair with instant death attacks (main character death = game over), and you can even lose the tutorial battle through no fault of your own (a situation I've only otherwise encountered in Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, but at least FFMQ lets you retry the battle instead of having to start from your last save (or in the beginning since the FFMQ example, unlike the SMT3 example, happens before the first opportunity to save)).
Noita: I've managed to get a few regular wins, and now I trying to go up/sideways to other locals. I also want to try to to make more aesthetic wands (as opposed to pragmatic shotgun/laser/bomb wands), but I'll have to unlock a tun of stuff to do that.

Ghost93:

Here's a clip of what the first few minutes of gameplay looks like: https://files.catbox.moe/rihga4.webm

While I have a humongous backlog, I still like to go back and reply old games that I've beaten (like trying 1cc a touhou game that I haven't touched in a while). The game is a 2.5D (the character moves in a 2-dimensional plane where the 3rd dimension is visible in the background can be rotated back and forth, sort of like Fez, except in Fez's case the background was purely 2D) doujin stealth action adventure game, where you play as a government secret agent sent into corporate server facility deal with a terrorist threat. After having not played the game for some time, I can safely say I've lost my touch. The name of the game is discretely farming resources to increase your stats (hp/mp), avoid being spotted, and forage deeper and deeper into enemy territory while picking up the weapons/tools needed to progress. At my best I could reach the first server room without being detected with some decent stats, but I'll guess I'll have to get back my feel for it again.

Crosscode: I played this almost to the end, but then I put the game down (I had put in about 90 hours). Since I picked up the DLC, I'm playing a fresh game for a little while before I finish up the game and jump into the DLC.

Ixamyakxim: Mind giving some impressions and idea of gameplay? Persona 4 is probably one of my FAVORITE games ever - still pissed I never went back and picked up P3 FES.

... and after a looooong hiatus I'm thinking of possibly picking up a PS 5 (if I can find one - I went out today and was told they're virtually impossible to get? Weren't they out last holiday?). I realized recently I want a Blu-ray player and after seeing the price of a console is only a couple hundred more than the players I was looking at I'm thinking of taking the plunge...

Feel free to PM what account setup and such is like on a modern console - if the thing is a total integrated social media linked machine my curmudgeonly old self might pass. If it just makes you create a Playstation Store account of some sort (that doesn't automagically create a Facespace, Twitter, Instatok page all at once) I might be okay with it...
Sorry, took me a bit to answer. :P

You mean the spin-off 'Strikers/Scramble'?
It's an action RPG with a small-ish mousou influence (the team behind the Dynasty Warriors series was working with Atlus on the game). It's not turn based, but weaknesses and other core mechanics were implemented really wel into the battle system, it iosn't complex but it's competent, considering you can summon quite a number of Personas with their own animations. It has a bit less content than the regular games, but you're still looking at a game that'll take you dozens of hours to complete. As always the characters and story is amazing!
You dont't level your relationships with different characters and your social interactions are limited to you companions/your party (limited as well, as in you don't meet them to hang outm but there are group events that make up for that).
It's different, but I'm loving it nonetheless.

There's a decent amount of PS4 exclusives, I don't think you'll regret the purchaase. :)

All the settings on my console are set to private. I don't use any services of Sony or others and don't have any accounts linked. I'm only connecting my PS4 to the internet for updates. If you don't use Facebook and co. don't worry, you're not forced to set up an account. ;)
Post edited March 08, 2021 by NuffCatnip
Back to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Anomaly on Azazel mode, hard, survivalist.
Played as different factions, but the real fun came when I took over a merc called Vova Fantasist and started in Dead City. I thought to myself, a companion should prove helpful, so I enlisted the services of another fellow mercenary named Vovka Fubar for 24 hours. Tough luck for the guy, because Dead City borders Yantar and in Yantar one can find the entrance to a certain underground lab.A true place of horrors in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. universe. Now I remember...
So we enter X16 only for the hired gun to complain, saying he is not going to such places. Get a grip, man! Inside said location all hell broke loose, several snorks, a bloodsucker, zombies, something else as well (couldn't tell with all the chaos, methinks a burer) and Vovka Fubar cursing and screaming for his life. I saved him from a zombie, but at the sight of a snork he thought this was a suicide mission. He killed the bloodsucker though, which is surprising. Snorks, on the other hand, are more challenging, their lunging attacks have a wide range and inflict serious damage. Anyhow, between the two of us we put down three snorks.
Apparently, Vovka is some sort of tactician, he takes several shots at the enemy, then he runs back towards a corner. I'm in tears, he actually killed another snork and slapped a zombie to the ground while complaining. This is the best temporary companion I've seen.
Life in the Zone is fun.
Post edited March 08, 2021 by patrikc
Finally decided to play Ys chronicles I+ after having it installed for quite some time. I only played it 20 minutes before but now i played at least 2 hours or more of it. Want to finish it and go to Ys II and then try the Ys oath of felghana and origin then.
Fonzer: Finally decided to play Ys chronicles I+ after having it installed for quite some time. I only played it 20 minutes before but now i played at least 2 hours or more of it. Want to finish it and go to Ys II and then try the Ys oath of felghana and origin then.
I hope that one boss doesn't drive you batty to the point you quit.

(Anyone who's played this game up to that point should know which boss I'm talking about.)
Total Annihilation: Escalation and Factorio