It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

JudasIscariot: Did you ever run into this bug with Sacred 2? I think you just may need to run "winetricks d3dcompiler_43" instead of the full d3dx9 package to work around a few problems :)
vanchann: Thanks Judas. I'll try this workaround.
I don't remember the error messages, but the problem looks similar. Probably it's the same bug.

Since our last interaction, I've updated my Wine installation to 1.9.17-devel, but it didn't help.
Yeah, I think d3dcompiler_43 needs more work as I presume you had errors regarding HLSL shader parsing?
JudasIscariot: Yeah, I think d3dcompiler_43 needs more work as I presume you had errors regarding HLSL shader parsing?
Thanks again.

I tried to run the game. There weren't HLSL shader parsing errors (or I missed them, but I've checked again and again). Then I tried to set all dlls to default and then reinstall the suggested libraries with the same results. Maybe more things than those intended, were set to default.

I'll check again later using a clean prefix.
Post edited August 31, 2016 by vanchann
JudasIscariot: Yeah, I think d3dcompiler_43 needs more work as I presume you had errors regarding HLSL shader parsing?
vanchann: Thanks again.

I tried to run the game. There weren't HLSL shader parsing errors (or I missed them, but I've checked again and again). Then I tried to set all dlls to default and then reinstall the suggested libraries with the same results. Maybe more things than those intended, were set to default.

I'll check again later using a clean prefix.
Yeah I would try with a clean prefix and just add one winetrick at a time to see what breaks or gets fixed :)
JudasIscariot: Yeah I would try with a clean prefix and just add one winetrick at a time to see what breaks or gets fixed :)
Unfortunately the problem persists.

I tried with a clean prefix adding libraries one by one, with nothing got fixed. I think I should forget playing the game for now. Alternatively I could downgrade Wine port to the working version and recompile it, but that could create more incompatibilities than it solves.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.
JudasIscariot: Yeah I would try with a clean prefix and just add one winetrick at a time to see what breaks or gets fixed :)
vanchann: Unfortunately the problem persists.

I tried with a clean prefix adding libraries one by one, with nothing got fixed. I think I should forget playing the game for now. Alternatively I could downgrade Wine port to the working version and recompile it, but that could create more incompatibilities than it solves.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.
Well, I can try running a regression test if the game WAS working for you in a certain version :)

So, 1.9.6 is the last working version for you then?
JudasIscariot: Well, I can try running a regression test if the game WAS working for you in a certain version :)

Thanks!
Yes, version 1.9.6 (32 bit, devel) was working for sure with the winetricks I've posted.

It could be something specific to Wine on FreeBSD though. Maybe the game could run even on newer Wine versions on Linux. That's why I asked if someone was running the game on Linux in the old thread.
JudasIscariot: Well, I can try running a regression test if the game WAS working for you in a certain version :)

vanchann: Thanks!
Yes, version 1.9.6 (32 bit, devel) was working for sure with the winetricks I've posted.

It could be something specific to Wine on FreeBSD though. Maybe the game could run even on newer Wine versions on Linux. That's why I asked if someone was running the game on Linux in the old thread.
Hmmmm, I could've sworn there was an issue with FreeBSD in WineHQ related to something in the codebase. Oh well, I'll at least get some more regression testing practice at least :)
Game: Titan Quest - Anniversary Edition
Installer MD5s:
e735387eedf6e35cc964318d44b89b8f setup_titan_quest_anniversary_edition_2.3.0.5-1.bin
63670b4678da760e54d677e579e7e914 setup_titan_quest_anniversary_edition_2.3.0.5-2.bin
ad4144e57a9e300f5a88cfe6b32395f8 setup_titan_quest_anniversary_edition_2.3.0.5.exe
WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=34206

Distro: Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit
Kernel version: 4.4.0-36
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ti
Graphics driver & version: Proprietary 370.23
Wine version(s) tested: Wine Staging 1.9.18 via PlayOnLinux

Install notes: When it asks, let it install the Visual C++ redistributables
Run the game from/create a shortcut for "Tq.exe"
Set registry key HKCU/Software/Wine/Direct3D/CheckFloatConstants to "enabled"
How well does it run: Perfect
Details: Have played through much of the game, all works perfectly so far. Tested with virtual desktop and CSMT enabled.
Post edited September 17, 2016 by adamhm
igrok: Did you manage to find a solution to the CPU speed detection bug? Because without it the game is unfortunately unplayable beyond the first few missions. The easiest way to test whether you have this problem is to look at the clouds. If they move unnaturally fast, then the problem is still there.
the clouds look like those I've seen on youtube. did a quick youtube vid: https://youtu.be/7A8wLavv-i0
adamhm:
Thanks adam! I was already wondering if someone tested it :)
The game is running with no problems. My only trouble is with creating a shortcut to tq.exe. I have tried to create a launcher with the path to it like: wine "(...)Tq.exe" but it does not work. Do you have a suggestion? Thanks. I'm in Mint 18.
Updates are pushed back another 12 hours at least. Flash drive flaked out on me. Simpler for me to resync when I'm back at the other machine.

adamhm: Game: Titan Quest - Anniversary Edition
Nice, I was going to ask about this one.
tokisto: The game is running with no problems. My only trouble is with creating a shortcut to tq.exe. I have tried to create a launcher with the path to it like: wine "(...)Tq.exe" but it does not work. Do you have a suggestion? Thanks. I'm in Mint 18.
They can vary but general idea is something like this:
env WINEPREFIX="/path/to/prefix" wine C:\\\\windows\\\\command\\\\start.exe /unix /path/to/prefix/drive_c/TitanQuest/Tg.exe"
Post edited September 01, 2016 by Gydion
JudasIscariot: Hmmmm, I could've sworn there was an issue with FreeBSD in WineHQ related to something in the codebase. Oh well, I'll at least get some more regression testing practice at least :)
Thanks for all your efforts Judas.

I've tried to launch a few games this morning as I've updated from 1.9.13 to 1.9.17 the last weekend. Many games I tried like Blackguards 2, Divinity Original Sin (classic version), Technobabylon, Overlord are broken now. Other games like Age of Wonders 3 and Van Helsing Final Cut keep running fine.

I think the problem is specific to Wine running on FreeBSD. This view has been reinforced by GOG's new addition Titan Quest failing today, while it runs on Linux as adamhm reported.

Maybe I should consider compiling/installing Wine on Linux again. I have relatively limited disk space there though.

EDIT: Thanks adamhm for your report!
Post edited September 01, 2016 by vanchann
JudasIscariot: Hmmmm, I could've sworn there was an issue with FreeBSD in WineHQ related to something in the codebase. Oh well, I'll at least get some more regression testing practice at least :)
vanchann: Thanks for all your efforts Judas.

I've tried to launch a few games this morning as I've updated from 1.9.13 to 1.9.17 the last weekend. Many games I tried like Blackguards 2, Divinity Original Sin (classic version), Technobabylon, Overlord are broken now. Other games like Age of Wonders 3 and Van Helsing Final Cut keep running fine.

I think the problem is specific to Wine running on FreeBSD. This view has been reinforced by GOG's new addition Titan Quest failing today, while it runs on Linux as adamhm reported.

Maybe I should consider compiling/installing Wine on Linux again. I have relatively limited disk space there though.

EDIT: Thanks adamhm for your report!
If that's the case, then even if I were to do any regression tests on my setup, it wouldn't show anything. I would recommend reading up on it and trying it out :) It's actually not that hard if you're already used to compiling Wine :)

Let me know if you'd like some help running a regression test :)
vanchann: I've tried to launch a few games this morning as I've updated from 1.9.13 to 1.9.17 the last weekend. Many games I tried like Blackguards 2, Divinity Original Sin (classic version), Technobabylon, Overlord are broken now. Other games like Age of Wonders 3 and Van Helsing Final Cut keep running fine.
Are you using packages? I would be curious what you see if you built the port instead, wine configure output in particular.
te_lanus: the clouds look like those I've seen on youtube. did a quick youtube vid: https://youtu.be/7A8wLavv-i0
Thanks for the video, they seem to me moving faster than they should be. However, the only way to be sure is to play it till scene 5 (big jump) and see if it can be completed. When the speed is broken, this bit is impossible to do.

Did you patch the game to make it run? I've just tried running it in wine 1.9.17 and I still get the crash at the start (which is because of this bug: Bug 21924). With the patch suggested in the discussion the game works too fast.
Post edited September 02, 2016 by igrok