It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

te_lanus: Game: Book of Demons
Added, thanks.
dtgreene: Distro: Debian 9 (with backports repository enabled)
Desktop: fluxbox
Kernel version: I *think* 4.9, but I don't remember for sure (it's the one in debian 9)
There isn't "one" in debian 9. An uname -a should show you what the currently running kernel is.
Post edited March 07, 2019 by Gydion
so... did anybody try diablo under wine yet? :'D
A guide on getting Diablo to work in Wine:

Make a new 32bit Prefix.
Install the game as normally.
Open up your Wine Configuration and set "ddraw" to 'native' (Wine will ask you for confirmation choose "yes").
Set a Virtual Desktop equal to your desktop resolution.
Run the game.

Known Issues & Workarounds:

1) In "Video Settings", setting the "Antialiasing" to anything other than "Disabled" will mess up the game's window and rendering the game unplayable. The other settings seem to work fine.

2) Running the "Classic" version requires you to remove the "ddraw" override but the game will ask you for the "CD-ROM". I haven't found a fix to that yet.

3) The Main Menu isn't animated properly, navigating with the keyboard can be confusing, make sure to use the mouse. The pause menu while in-game works fine. (Thanks to VodkaChicken for mentioning the mouse).
Attachments:
diablo.jpg (281 Kb)
Post edited March 08, 2019 by Ganni1987
Gekko_Dekko: so... did anybody try diablo under wine yet? :'D
Main menu doesn't render properly (top left corner is covered by a black box and the menu only updates under your mouse so you have to sweep around to find anything) but other than that the game seems to run fine. Once you get past the main menu all graphical issues are gone.
You need to set ddraw override to "native, buildin".

Edit: a small clip of the menu issues:
https://my.mixtape.moe/iaxvdl.webm
Post edited March 08, 2019 by VodkaChicken
Ganni1987: Open up your Wine Configuration and set "ddraw" to 'native' (Wine will ask you for confirmation choose "yes").
I suppose that's where GOG put all the custom hooks, i.e. in their own ddraw.dll and it's shipped with the game?
Post edited March 08, 2019 by shmerl
Nvidia drivers PPA has been upgraded to 418.43. Any big improvements we should keep an eye on? More games that will run now?
Found the changelog, which contains this point that looks rather useful. No idea what titles were affected, though.

* Fixed a bug that would occasionally cause visual corruption on some Vulkan titles. This bug was particularly prevalent on DXVK titles.
I'm getting "Please insert your CD" error messages with Diablo; tried Wine 3.5 and CX 18.1. Any ideas on how to get around this?
Diablo also has this option to play it natively on Linux: https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX
Post edited March 08, 2019 by shmerl
rampancy: I'm getting "Please insert your CD" error messages with Diablo; tried Wine 3.5 and CX 18.1. Any ideas on how to get around this?
Have you tried this suggestion?

https://www.gog.com/forum/diablo/high_definition_mode_requires_cd/post13
Ganni1987: Open up your Wine Configuration and set "ddraw" to 'native' (Wine will ask you for confirmation choose "yes").
shmerl: I suppose that's where GOG put all the custom hooks, i.e. in their own ddraw.dll and it's shipped with the game?
Sorry took so long to reply.

You probably already got the game by now but anyways - the installation comes with both the updated version and the classic one, both games have their own ddraw.dll file.
shmerl: Diablo also has this option to play it natively on Linux: https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX
Wow, this one is great, I tried it and it works flawlessly!
Looks like I’m never going to need WINE anymore to play one of my favourite games ;)

Well, I spotted a very minor difference from WINE: voices don’t cut out when you close the quest window.
Apart from that, it plays even better than with WINE, especially with no rendering issue of the main menu.
Post edited March 09, 2019 by vv221
vv221: Wow, this one is great, I tried it and it works flawlessly!
Looks like I’m never going to need WINE anymore to play one of my favourite games ;)

Well, I spotted a very minor difference from WINE: voices don’t cut out when you close the quest window.
Apart from that, it plays even better than with WINE, especially with no rendering issue of the main menu.
There are several audio related issues as mentioned under Known issues for 0.1.0. Audio is the next major milestone they are working on.
What's the recommended scriptable way to restore monitor gamma levels, after some Wine games modify them?

I found xgamma tool, but it's tied to Xorg, so not sure if it's a suitable approach in general case like for Wayland. I suppose it depends on how gamma modification from XWayland would work, i.e. whether it persist after some game closes down. I haven't been using Wayland session recently due to some annoying bugs in KWin, but still would good to know if there is a generic approach.
Post edited March 13, 2019 by shmerl
shmerl: Diablo also has this option to play it natively on Linux: https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX
vv221: Wow, this one is great, I tried it and it works flawlessly!

Glad you enjoy it :) We will keep it updated with improvements that are either optional or do not change the gameplay.

P.s. Audio is fixed now :D
Post edited March 21, 2019 by Anders_Jenbo