It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Matruchus: How I am supposed to use this in Playonlinux? Basically where do I paste that?
I installed Directx9 (think that's what pol call it)
Random_Coffee: Indeed.. I see now that both games are native on Steam.
iirc they arent native, but utilize proprietary wine-like stuff
Random_Coffee: Indeed.. I see now that both games are native on Steam.
Gekko_Dekko: iirc they arent native, but utilize proprietary wine-like stuff
Ah, that makes more sense. That can be okay too, when done right (for some reason I couldn't get any TopWare WINE-wrapper running on Manjaro, but worked fine on Fedora).
shmerl: An interesting small game En Garde! works in Wine+dxvk with some glitches.
I'm tagging you hoping for an answer to a seemingly related question.

I've been hooked on Path of Exile recently and a new update is supposed to make it work better, with DX11 and DXVK. But according to [url=https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/How-to:-DXVK]Lutris wiki[/url] I need at least mesa 18.1.2, which I do not have, and it's not in the repository. Dumb question probably, but how do I update it to the required version - do I need a PPA? Where do I find one/the best one?

I installed the game yesterday with the newest script from Lutris and managed to run the game -- but not in DX11. IT reverted back to DX9Ex on startup, which I suspect is because of this issue (plus that I only had Nvidia 384.x at the time, since fixed)

PS: I'm on Linux Mint 18.2 if that is relevant.
Post edited July 22, 2018 by Pangaea666
Just something to mention about Morrowind, for users of Debian stable (stretch):

Game: Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition
Installer md5 sum: f103311606f3f2f32a214c6b4dafd7ba

Distro: Debian stretch
DE: Fluxbox
Kernel: 4.8.0-2
Graphics card: Intel HD 4600
Graphics driver: in-kernel driver
WINE version: wine-2.0 (Debian 2.0-3+b2) (from wine-development package)

How does it run: Game crashes on reaching main menu. One time I got past that, but the game crashed on loading a save. (In other words, unplayable with this WINE version.)
Other notes: This is a regression; under wine-1.8.7 (Debian 1.8.7-2), the version contained in the regular wine package (and aliased to wine-stable by default), the game runs fine. (Does the game work well in more recent versions?) I did not test the Construction Set on wine-development.

Incidentally, one game I would really like to play is Mary Skelter: Nightmares, but the one person who tried it in the release thread couldn't get it to run.
dtgreene: How does it run: Game crashes on reaching main menu. One time I got past that, but the game crashed on loading a save. (In other words, unplayable with this WINE version.)
Other notes: This is a regression; under wine-1.8.7 (Debian 1.8.7-2), the version contained in the regular wine package (and aliased to wine-stable by default), the game runs fine. (Does the game work well in more recent versions?) I did not test the Construction Set on wine-development.
does disabling gstreamer help ?
WINEDLLOVERRIDES=winegstreamer=d wine Morrowind.exe

see bug here

there is a link to another bug report there which might be related and which does have a possible fix (included in wine >= 3.0). So it would be a good idea to test a more recent wine version (ie one that isn't ancient :p )
An update on the previous post. Despite not having mesa 18.1.2+, the game ran just fine now, which I was very impressed with given all the issues previously with crashes after fairly short sessions.
Pangaea666: I'm tagging you hoping for an answer to a seemingly related question.

I've been hooked on Path of Exile recently and a new update is supposed to make it work better, with DX11 and DXVK. But according to [url=https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/How-to:-DXVK]Lutris wiki[/url] I need at least mesa 18.1.2, which I do not have, and it's not in the repository. Dumb question probably, but how do I update it to the required version - do I need a PPA? Where do I find one/the best one?

I installed the game yesterday with the newest script from Lutris and managed to run the game -- but not in DX11. IT reverted back to DX9Ex on startup, which I suspect is because of this issue (plus that I only had Nvidia 384.x at the time, since fixed)

It's a bit of involved topic. Feel free to continue in this thread.

Also, I'm not quite clear are you using Nvidia or AMD? You need Mesa for the later.
Post edited July 22, 2018 by shmerl
shmerl: An interesting small game En Garde! works in Wine+dxvk with some glitches.
Pangaea666: I'm tagging you hoping for an answer to a seemingly related question.

I have good news for Path of Exile and 64bit, last week I found a video on youtube showing the game working with DXVK, turns out the uploader also has a small Wine patch to make the game work (which has been available since March).

If you wish I can upload a 3.13 Wine build which includes the patch out of the box :-)
shmerl: It's a bit of involved topic. Feel free to continue in this thread.

Also, I'm not quite clear are you using Nvidia or AMD? You need Mesa for the later.
Not a member there so I'll reply here instead. Oh, and if mesa is only needed for AMD systems then I have completely misunderstood the whole thing. Thought it was more of a general package we needed to get the other bits of the puzzle to fit, or work so to speak. I'm on Nvidia (GTX 770)

I only mentioned it briefly above, but I've got the game working now, using Lutris instead of PlayOnLinux, which has been my go-to tool for getting games working. So the only thing I really did, apart from finally updating the driver and mesa package (although I don't have access to mesa 18.1.2) was to install the game using this script:
https://lutris.net/games/path-of-exile/
I used the first option, as Steam can burn in a very hot place (if it were to exist).
The actual script:
https://lutris.net/games/install/6653/view
(I think there was a slight update after I installed it, but as long as it works on my end I'm not complaining)

Then turned off multi-threading in-game and tuned down settings to medium/low, and the game has worked fantastic since. I've not had ultra-long sessions due to other activities today, but I did play some hours earlier today, which is longer than usual, including some stress tests where I went from zone to zone for a while, and then did a big area in the current 'league' (the Temple, if anybody else are familiar with it). Previously the game has often crashed when doing the Temple, even if I restarted the game beforehand. So from the experience so far, the game is MUCH more stable.

Performance seems to be similar. Some slight stutters here and there, possibly related to loading in new assets. But overall this has been a massive leap in the right direction - no doubt about it. I just hope the game will continue to work like this as POE gets updated regularly. It's basically a game with rolling releases, so there are heaps of patches and updates/expansions. Anyway, here's hoping it will continue to work.

Oh yes, one other detail that may be needed (not sure if the script does it automatically). I installed a runner called esync-3.12, which is a key cog in getting it to perform better. At least based on my limited understanding.

I don't know how one would set up this in Wine/POL, but as Lutris is essentially a variant of POL I assume it is easy for you with superior knowledge about Linux and its inner workings :)

edit: For Path of Exile in particular, there is a giant thread about it for Wine on their forum.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/8980/page/199
Post edited July 23, 2018 by Pangaea666
Pangaea666: Not a member there so I'll reply here instead.
I recommend you to register there, forum there is way better for technical posts - you can't even paste code snippets here properly.

Pangaea666: Oh, and if mesa is only needed for AMD systems then I have completely misunderstood the whole thing. Thought it was more of a general package we needed to get the other bits of the puzzle to fit, or work so to speak. I'm on Nvidia (GTX 770)
Yes, Nvidia driver is independent of Mesa, it's only used for Intel and AMD, unless you are planning to use nouveau which is not good for gaming.

By the way, consider switching to AMD for your next GPU upgrade. Open drivers are great these days.
Post edited July 23, 2018 by shmerl
dtgreene: How does it run: Game crashes on reaching main menu. One time I got past that, but the game crashed on loading a save. (In other words, unplayable with this WINE version.)
immi101: does disabling gstreamer help ?
WINEDLLOVERRIDES=winegstreamer=d wine Morrowind.exe

see bug here

there is a link to another bug report there which might be related and which does have a possible fix (included in wine >= 3.0). So it would be a good idea to test a more recent wine version (ie one that isn't ancient :p )
I was going to test it, but the game mysteriously started working in wine-developent.

I don't feel any reason to deal with installing a newer WINE version (that Debian stable doesn't have in the repos), as I don't currently have any game that needs it that I want to play.

How about this: If somebody gets Mary Skelter to run in a modern version of WINE before the launch sale ends, I'll test Morrowind in a modern WINE version.
Where can I download all the libraries need for Gungeon. I really hate these old 32 bit versions.

And no I don't want to install them. I want to put them in to the games folder.
Post edited July 23, 2018 by Matruchus
Matruchus: Where can I download all the libraries need for Gungeon. I really hate these old 32 bit versions.

https://www.pkgs.org

Type the package name, select distro and download the package
Matruchus: Where can I download all the libraries need for Gungeon. I really hate these old 32 bit versions.

Ganni1987: https://www.pkgs.org

Type the package name, select distro and download the package
Thanks, though its going to be hard getting all the dependencies down.

Edit: I see this installs the libraries, not sure if I want this. I already broke my system once with this.
Post edited July 23, 2018 by Matruchus