It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Adzeth: [Requests to divide the forum into subforums]O=(-_- Q ) <(Taste my fist!)
-----------------
I have little tolerance for certain mistakes. Games aren't drugs, and I don't need to stand the "dealers' " ridiculous demands or hijinks in order to get my "fix". I can just walk to the next guy and ask if he's got something interesting or not play, and I won't even get withdrawal symptoms.
-----------------
To get the "best" total game play experience without the DLC, the DLC needs to be irrelevant. I have no problem with irrelevant DLC. If the day 1 DLC is a mustache skin pack (irrelevant if the mustaches aren't a part of the plot or gameplay and if this was an alternate reality where mustaches aren't relevant), I don't mind one bit. For finishing the game and getting the best ending, you can take Quake 1, take all but the first and the last mission out of the game and sell them as "Missing Memories of the Man Traumatized by The Constant Killing" DLC pack. Maybe keep some maps where you get new weapons in the base game for the game play experience.
----------------
If you're talking about skinpacks and nothing but skinpacks, then we're talking about different things. I'm talking about day 1 DLC sans skinpacks. Skinpacks can be rubbish for different reasons ("let's disable modding so we can charge for skinpacks, yaay").
-----------------
I believe the decision that "this is in the base game" and "this is extra content" is arbitrary. They feel that both are good enough for the players, they feel comfortable charging money for each, and both are ready for release by the same date.
------------------------
This is our thread now! :D
Lol, but yeah...we need more subforums like a drunk needs more booze(speaking of which, where is Antimateria? 0.o).
---------------
It's good to stand by one's own morals, but not so good to let one's own morals limit what they can/can't do in life to an extreme degree.

Also no......making actual day 1 DLC as extra content(not the ones who actually cut stuff from the main game to make such content) isn't being ridiculous. :p
----------------
And several day 1 dlcs(non-cosmetic, I mean) ARE irrelevant to the base game-play experience(If one can finish the game and enjoy it without a piece of DLC then imo it fits this "definition") of the games they're made for, imo.
--------------
I knew what you meant. ;)

Also as for skin/weapons packs: If they're worth what they're offering(like say a pack of new weapons for a dollar) then I have no problem with them.
---------------
Imo it's better they develop such content and have it ready on the first day than to hold off it's development until later and spend more time/resources(when they could be patching the main game/etc) to create it then. This also allows them to sell it the same day and get more sales from early buyers(and possibly invest such profits into new content & game development, paying worker's salaries, hiring new talent, etc), and also to allow us to play it earlier as well(if we want to.)
----------------
>:-)
GameRager: It's good to stand by one's own morals, but not so good to let one's own morals limit what they can/can't do in life to an extreme degree.
I'm not sure that inability to buy some games is 'Limiting life to an extreme degree' you know :-P
Fenixp: I'm not sure that inability to buy some games is 'Limiting life to an extreme degree' you know :-P
By extreme I meant the level of reaction(not playing a game/series at all, if ever) level of stimulus(some minor thing done be a dev related to a game/series).
It's impossible to get a good, simple, solid analogue joystick these days.
F4LL0UT: It's impossible to get a good, simple, solid analogue joystick these days.
What are you using right now? I'm curious as I might be getting one in the near future.
tinyE: Slim?
Adzeth: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PS2-Versions.jpg]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PS2-Versions.jpg[/url]
I'll never tell which one is the Slim :p
Hmm I don't get it. How come the old fat PS2 is also on its side in that picture? At least my fatty PS2 (which still works fine after all these years, luckily) has the PC desktop CD/DVD drive kind of tray which I think isn't even supposed to work on its side. If you try to put a CD into it when it is on the side, won't the CD/DVD just drop down from the tray?

I'm not going to even try. With the slim PS2 though, I think its DVD tray is similar to those in laptop DVD drives (or the old fat first Playstation) where that knob keeps the DVD in its place even if you put it upside down.
timppu: Hmm I don't get it. How come the old fat PS2 is also on its side in that picture?
=========
At least my fatty PS2 (which still works fine after all these years, luckily) has the PC desktop CD/DVD drive kind of tray which I think isn't even supposed to work on its side. If you try to put a CD into it when it is on the side, won't the CD/DVD just drop down from the tray?
Some like to stand it up(they even sell accessories to keep it standing upright/people from knocking it over if it's out in the open), I guess. :|
=============
I believe the way the tray is designed keeps this from happening(if you insert the cd properly and then close it)....I might be wrong, though.

(And I love the fat PS2s....they are so robust, and last much longer than the slims[Well besides the annoying tape ribbon used to connect the front-side buttons with the circuitry, that is.].)
F4LL0UT: It's impossible to get a good, simple, solid analogue joystick these days.
tinyE: What are you using right now? I'm curious as I might be getting one in the near future.
The newest joystick I own is still using a MIDI port so yeah, I haven't used one in more than ten years. I own a few gamepads though, two Xbox 360 wireless controllers as well as a Logitech Rumblepad 2 which I use for older games. However, gamepads are awful for flight and space sims and I'm especially interested in playing the latter, most notably the Wing Commander series, perhaps also X-Wing and Tie-Fighter which I still have lying around somewhere in their Collector's CD-ROM editions.

However, I ordered a simple joystick a few minutes ago. I chose this ugly mother. I really don't need an expensive hitech joystick, I just want an analogue stick with at least four buttons so this one should do.

Edit: Crap, just noticed that this one has a circular... uhm, "area of something"? Don't know how to call it. :P Hope that's not gonna be a big problem in case of those old games which were designed for joysticks with rectangular... areas... of something.
Post edited March 18, 2013 by F4LL0UT
tinyE: What are you using right now? I'm curious as I might be getting one in the near future.
F4LL0UT: The newest joystick I own is still using a MIDI port so yeah, I haven't used one in more than ten years. I own a few gamepads though, two Xbox 360 wireless controllers as well as a Logitech Rumblepad 2 which I use for older games. However, gamepads are awful for flight and space sims and I'm especially interested in playing the latter, most notably the Wing Commander series, perhaps also X-Wing and Tie-Fighter which I still have lying around somewhere in their Collector's CD-ROM editions.

However, I ordered a simple joystick a few minutes ago. I chose this ugly mother. I really don't need an expensive hitech joystick, I just want an analogue stick with at least four buttons so this one should do.
I've got the Logitech Rumblepad 2 myslef and I love it, or course I only HAVE older games and it works perfectly for X-Wing and Tie-Fighter.

And nice purchase; Thunderbirds are go!
Post edited March 18, 2013 by tinyE
Now I am somewhat annoyed that the Philips 4000-series LED semi-Smart TV I bought and thought was a great deal does not apparently support ViaPlay, Netflix etc natively..At least the ViaPlay homepages tell that all all 5000-9000 Series Philips Smart-TVs support it, and I presume it is a similar story with Netflix.

So far I haven't found anything worth using in the Philips 4000 series Smart TV features. It offers some adult videos for premium price, hard to use Youtube application etc. But being able to directly use ViaPlay or Netflix with the TV would have been quite useful.

If I had waited for a couple of weeks, I think I could have bought a 46" 5000 Series Philips TV instead of this 47" 4000 series for the same price. But then, it might be that newer model doesn't have VGA in PC output anymore IIRC, which I prefer still to have for my older PCs/laptops, just in case. So it would have been possibly a trade-off.

So if I want to get either IPTV service now, I think my only option is either to use it with my PC (connected to the TV with HDMI), or buy some console (cheap PS3 or XBox360)... but then I recall that with the consoles I'd have to get their Gold Membership or somesuch in order to use the 3rd party IPTV services? No thanks, I think using a PC is the only option then. Now I'm contemplating whether I should buy some cheapo PC laptop just for that purpose, so that I wouldn't necessarily have to reserve my gaming laptop for it.

Next thing is that I can't make up my mind whether to get ViaPlay or Netflix, but fortunately they both offer a free month to test it out. The devil is in the details:

- ViaPlay says that you can use it on four different devices (at the same time? It doesn't say that.), and if after that you want to use in another device, you have to unregister one of the earlier devices. Such unregistrations can be done only once every three months. This doesn't sound too bad as long as all those four devices could be used even at the same time (e.g. if there are several TVs/monitors in the household, each wanting to look at different series/programs).

- On the other hand, for IP rights reasons the ViaPlay service will not work abroad, if you'd like to watch some movie abroad from your laptop or something. Too bad, but understandable. I wonder if it would still be usable by using proxy servers?

- Netflix doesn't mention any restrictions to either number of "registered" display devices nor whether you can view the programs abroad, but it does say that you can watch Netflix only on one device at a time. The ViaPlay approach sounds better, if it is up to four devices at the same time.

Oh well, decisions decisions.
Post edited March 18, 2013 by timppu
tinyE: I've got the Logitech Rumblepad 2 myslef and I love it, or course I only HAVE older games and it works perfectly for X-Wing and Tie-Fighter.
Well, the problem is that gamepads are not well-suited for games which additionally need a lot of keyboard commands. I tried playing Wing Commander with the Rumblepad 2 a few weeks ago and it just didn't feel right. I mean, I actually have beaten the game with a Rumblepad 2 years ago but I want to be able to press something on the keyboard without having to let go of the controller. Hope it's not gonna be too much of an issue that the joystick I ordered has a circular... area of something.

Also yeah, the Rumblepad 2 is awesome. I've had mine since 2005. The design is timeless (it's the PS2 layout, after all) and it's incredibly solid. I've dropped it like a zillion times and it still works perfectly fine after all these years.
F4LL0UT: The newest joystick I own is still using a MIDI port so yeah, I haven't used one in more than ten years. I own a few gamepads though, two Xbox 360 wireless controllers as well as a Logitech Rumblepad 2 which I use for older games. However, gamepads are awful for flight and space sims and I'm especially interested in playing the latter, most notably the Wing Commander series, perhaps also X-Wing and Tie-Fighter which I still have lying around somewhere in their Collector's CD-ROM editions.
What's the matter? I can play such games pretty easily with such controls....heck, I cna play them pretty well with mouse/keyboard. 0.o
GameRager: What's the matter? I can play such games pretty easily with such controls....heck, I cna play them pretty well with mouse/keyboard. 0.o
Freespace 1 and 2 and ID War work GREAT with a mouse and keyboard but I've heard the WC games are a super pain doing that.
tinyE: Freespace 1 and 2 and ID War work GREAT with a mouse and keyboard but I've heard the WC games are a super pain doing that.
It's all subjective and varies depending who's playing what, I guess.

An aside: I forget which game it was, but(imo) it played fine with a mouse/keyboard but it was unnecessarily difficult on some missions: In one mission the game placed two objectives far apart with no way to complete both easily(a ship needing to be destroyed in one area being far from another ship that needed to be protected, iirc.). As far as that game went, I don't think it would've mattered what input method one used(short of HAXXXXXXXXX!). :\
GameRager: What's the matter? I can play such games pretty easily with such controls....heck, I cna play them pretty well with mouse/keyboard. 0.o
It's not about whether they can be played, it's about how enjoyable they are. I also used to play Tie-Fighter with a mouse and it was fun - but playing it with a joystick is a zillion times more fun. And I must also say that the mouse controls of Wing Commander aren't remotely as good as those of Tie-Fighter. And generally the older space sims were pretty much always designed with joysticks in mind and that's the best way to play them.