It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

toxicTom: Skype wanted to install an update. Ok, do it.

Skype restarts, but gets no connection.
Visual Studio crashes. Happens sometimes, but trying to restart it gains me "Not a valid executable, remove link?" WTF *I NEED TO GET WORK DONE HERE!*
Ctrl-Alt-Del... "Logon screen encountered a problem and crashed".
Explorer crashed.

Trying to shut down the computer gives me a black screen and a mouse cursor (still working *yay*).

Forced power off.

After the restart at least Visual Studio starts *phew!*. Want to recover the solution? You bet I want! Erm, one moment - this is a week old. Where's my work?! At least the repository still had my files. Lost only half an hour of work.

But really MS... Skype update = near apocalypse?!
gunsynd: Yep,any update can screw up the works.
Also new update may break something hence sometimes you see hot fix. Hence I rarely update and prefer the cumulative update that I know some time has passed since the update and many people "beta" test it for me. If it ain't broken why fix it.
gunsynd: Yep,any update can screw up the works.
Gnostic: Also new update may break something hence sometimes you see hot fix. Hence I rarely update and prefer the cumulative update that I know some time has passed since the update and many people "beta" test it for me. If it ain't broken why fix it.
Yes your right, treat any update with extreme caution...
Gnostic: Also new update may break something hence sometimes you see hot fix. Hence I rarely update and prefer the cumulative update that I know some time has passed since the update and many people "beta" test it for me. If it ain't broken why fix it.
Problem nowadays is that broken things are not always obvious. Your "perfectly fine" working computer may already be a zombie in ten bot-nets spending spam and attacking servers.
At the risk of getting yelled at, all the pointless threads created by new people recently. Ugh.
DieRuhe: At the risk of getting yelled at, all the pointless threads created by new people recently. Ugh.
THIS ^^^^

So many newcomers are just coming in and starting threads with the title "add me".

Well why ?
DieRuhe: At the risk of getting yelled at, all the pointless threads created by new people recently. Ugh.
sasuke12: THIS ^^^^

So many newcomers are just coming in and starting threads with the title "add me".

Well why ?
Steam has a wonderful little community, now doesn't it?
I can understand the desire for "add me" posts, though one would hope they all end up in the same thread. What set me off today was a thread with a heading that didn't really give any idea what it was about, and when I looked at it, it was one word. Totally senseless and useless. I'm hoping that type of juvenile crap is ignored enough that it stops.
People wanted a client, and they got a client. Be careful what you wish for...

----

So a technician buddy texted me, letting me know someone had finally paid him... long story but at least he got paid. He then gets back with me asking about a mutual acquaintance who still owes me about - well, a fair amount that none of us here would blow off - after four years. Not a personal debt but a business debt. See, I bailed him out, on very short notice (I was there the next day), on a project that he couldn't finish himself, the customer paid him, and then I never got paid for the week I spent finishing the job. Maybe the worst thing is that I gave him a discounted rate so he was going to make money on it regardless. All he had to do was be the go-between and he'd have made money simply by cashing a check and writing another, smaller check.

At any rate, I've tried several times to get paid. Been exceedingly polite considering the amount owed, the time involved, and the expenses incurred. Some story about a previous employer and the IRS... and promises to pay me by xyz date. Which has passed each time. Not a cent.

So then my buddy texted a screenshot from the deadbeat's wife's Facebook page, captioned (paraphrasing) "Goodbye to the old car and Hello to the new one!", along with a showroom picture of a bright red Audi A3. And you claim you're having IRS problems?

What. The. Actual. Fuck. Gonna give it one more direct shot, presenting this new info after he comes up with the latest excuse, and then it's off to a lawyer.

Yes, I've let it drag on too long; I fully admit that. This is a former co-worker (he was my boss for a while), we've given each other customer contacts that led to work, and we've always gotten along. Those things have led me to be far more lenient than I should have been. No more.
Lollipop destroyed the perfect esthetic balance of my phone

NOOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo

Life, why are you doing that to me

_________
Update : Esthetic balance restored with a vengeance. Don't worry for me too much guys. I'll be fine.
Post edited May 17, 2015 by Telika
Had a bad day yesterday. Nothing devastating as such, just one of those days when it seems I can't do a single thing right. Happens a few times a year, but then I'm grateful for the other 360 days.
Business gone to hell. No work prospects. Hopeless direction.
I'm thinking of giving up on Jagged Alliance 2. I just don't understand the rules at all: it seems that the enemy sees further and always shoots first, and I have no idea why.

That, and permanent stat loss is just plain bullshit.

EDIT: I started a new game anyway, this time on Novice difficulty (no shame) with an I.M.P. mercenary specializing in night operations, see if that works better for me.
Post edited May 17, 2015 by AlKim
I am disappointed GOG is no longer going to update/support GOG Downloader. I understand why with Galaxy; but, I have no interest in Galaxy, and I really liked the simplicity of GOG Downloader. One click and done.

Other than that, life is good. :)
Spotted a bunch of old handheld nintendo "game and watch" in a flea market.

OH GOD THE PRICES THE PRICES THE PRICES AAAAAARGHHHHHH
Post edited May 18, 2015 by Telika
My NVIDIA update seems to be stuck to "Preparing for installation." There is no hidden button to click as sometime happens. I'll give it some more time but I'm afraid I'll spend the night in driver hell.

I panicked for nothing, I used task manager to stop the process, rebooted, and I now seem to have the updated driver. Looks like the only thing that went wrong with the installer is announcing when it was done.
Post edited May 19, 2015 by justanoldgamer