It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Moscow, Metro. 2034.

<span class="bold">Metro: Last Light Redux</span>, the acclaimed horror/FPS hybrid, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 50% discount!

The world has been devastated by nuclear war. Those who are left have taken refuge in one of the few places that remain standing - the expansive underground metro system that weaves beneath streets of Moscow. Life is bare, challenging. But at least it's a living. The same cannot be said for the twisted creatures that lurk beyond the shadows. Inspired by the critically acclaimed Russian novel Metro 2033, <span class="bold">Metro: Last Light Redux</span> is a new chapter in the horror/FPS series that places focus on survival, scavenging, and stealth. In a world where bullets are the only form of currency and enemies walk the shadows, there is no right answer.

<span class="bold">Metro: Last Light Redux</span> offers an improved experience over the original release. It includes all DLCs, performance enhancements, improved graphics, new animations, and game-changing gamemodes!

You have 20 bullets. Today you kill or you eat, in <span class="bold">Metro: Last Light Redux</span>, available DRM-free on GOG.com. The launch discount will last until Monday, May 18 at 12:59 PM GMT.
Just to clarify regarding the Metro 2033/LL and redux versions...

redux as in "redo". They revamped the gameplay (a lot of popular gameplay changes were added to both, and some that were only in the original LL were added to the 2033 Redux version). In general, these are widely regarded as good changes, with no real downsides.

Graphics/sound wise, though...

some voices were (poorly) redubbed. :/ like, americans trying to fake a russian accent. ya, bad.

Graphics...

This is the second main reason for the "redux." Metro 2033 is still a demanding game graphics-wise, years later. In order to bring 2033 and LL to a wider audience (lower-end PC gamers, but mainly CONSOLES), they went through the games and reduced the graphics settings throughout. They increased efficiency a lot, but at the cost of eye candy. They just don't look nearly as good. :( With the new graphics cards coming out lately, it would be a complete moot point, but the main target was consoles.

Sad that they had to dumb down the graphics so much from a game that old to make it playable on consoles released years later... but ya, that is the world we live in. My graphics card came out well before either console, yet has WELL more computational power than the CPU and GPU of BOTH the XBO and PS4 combined. Consoles are crap now. Worthless toys for children :/ Yet we have to live with crappy graphics because the consoles can't keep up. sigh.
Post edited May 12, 2015 by captainlemmiwink
rz4: Any chance for the original Metro 2033? I loved that game even if it was flawed (the stealth sections was really hard - sometimes buggy - but they gave you a great feeling of satisfaction when you got through them). Sadly the game is not on steam anymore and my computer couldn't handle last light or the redux versions, anyway i adored the games atmosphere and setting and would definitely get the original if it's released here!
Yeah, I was wondering why GOG seems to have the sequel, but not the first game. It would be cool if GOG could get Metro 2033.
phaolo: Which Metro is the best in term of story, gameplay, features, etc?
M:2033 or M:LL?
Well i only played segments of LL but from what i've seen it's really awesome! It's so much more polished than 2033 and got a ton of new features implemented into the gameplay just fine HOWEVER in the process of achieving a higher quality game they lost some of the originals charm. I think i can safely advise you to start with LL as it's more easy to get into that game and the story is just as good as the first one, also you won't spoil the story of the first one completely (it's more like reading a book with in medias res narrative). If it's comes to 2033...well i've never played the redux but I know that the original worth your time (minor frustations here and there but nothing game breaking) so i would say pick LL up now and wait for the original to come to GoG (if it does).
captainlemmiwink: This is the second main reason for the "redux." Metro 2033 is still a demanding game graphics-wise, years later. In order to bring 2033 and LL to a wider audience (lower-end PC gamers, but mainly CONSOLES), they went through the games and reduced the graphics settings throughout. They increased efficiency a lot, but at the cost of eye candy. They just don't look nearly as good. :( With the new graphics cards coming out lately, it would be a complete moot point, but the main target was consoles.
so the redux runs is less hardware demanding? that is great but still not enough for me to have a pc able to run it

its a fantastic release no doubt but i prefer older games cause they will run in any hardware

nevertheless i'll buy it... but playing i'll have to wait a couple of years...
Got a reply from support regarding the Linux and Mac builds:

Hello,
unfortunately we weren't able to acquire the DRM-free builds for Linux and MacOSX, but we will definitely add them if we ever get them. I apologise for the inconvenience.
Another great title from Deep Silver but where is Metro 2033?

Never expected this either :)
adamhm: Got a reply from support regarding the Linux and Mac builds:

Hello,
unfortunately we weren't able to acquire the DRM-free builds for Linux and MacOSX, but we will definitely add them if we ever get them. I apologise for the inconvenience.
adamhm:
Oh, crap. Well, it'll stay on my wishlist.
Great, but where is Metro 2033? I'll wait for a complete redux bundle: 2033 + last light.
While I am really enjoying the post-apocalyptic atmosphere; and the many cut-scenes are cool; I am finding the title a bit disappointing..

First, I'll say - it looks like the game is set up to allow much stealthier gameplay than I had thought - and so going forward I am playing more sneakily than I had at the start. That's a good thing.

What I'm getting bummed about is the checkpoint save system. In general I don't care for checkpoint saves, but at least most of them allow YOU to choose to save at the 'checkpoints', and you can go back to a previous checkpoint save if you like.

In this game, unless I am just overlooking it, you don't have that. What you have is a single checkpoint save. The game does it for you automatically as you move along (the mostly linear set-pieces). You can't go back to any previous checkpoints. All you can do is reload the one-and-only current checkpoint.

The problem I am having is - I'm busy exploring an area (for those 'hidden notes'), and I open a door - BOOM, it closes behind me PERMANENTLY - the game 'checkpoints' me on the other side of that door and - done or not - I cant get back to that area that I was still exploring. Re-loading the checkpoint simply places me just on the other (wrong) side of the door. So, no going back to finish an area (that I didn't even know I was permanently leaving - I was just be opening a door). It sucks, to be honest..

It's putting a big damper on my enjoyment of this title.

On the bright side:
* I'm not that far in yet (just slightly past the 'Bolshevik theater'), so perhaps it becomes less linear a bit more into the game. Here's hoping..
* Maybe I'll gain the experience to tell which door is a 'opens, puts you thru it via a mini-cutscene, and closes permanently behind' door, and will be able to avoid them in the future. I'm going to try..
Okay so I was semi-wrong about not being able to replay previous checkpoints. If you back out from the in-game menu (which has the 'Reload Checkpoint' that works as I described) to the 'Main Menu' then you can choose previous 'chapters' (not previous checkpoints.

So what that means is, when I unknowingly go through the 'slams shut behind you and overwrites your checkpoint' door with the checkpoint now having you on the wrong side of the door (if you didn't mean to go thru it), it means you can go back and replay that entire previous chapter.

So you can't go 'whoops didn't know that door would shut me out and advance the game' and come right back thru the door. You need to replay that entire previous 'chapter' (of which that door was 'the end of the chapter').

Better than nothing I suppose - but it's a strong reminder why I don't like these checkpoint save systems. They suck.

Otherwise, the game is very atmospheric. I enjoy that. But it's definitely more of an 'AAA'-style game, as compared to the Stalker series. They're 'open world' go more or less where you want; while this title is more 'corridor set-pieces' that you take on one at a time linearly (but they're very well done set-pieces - highly detailed, like maybe Bioshock). It also has lots of those little 'quicktime events' (QTE's), like 'press [ENTER] a bunch really fast to help your buddy lift the grate off the sewer' type of thingys (which the Stalkers don't have).

So I guess I don't find it as appealing as the Stalkers - but it looks like it'll be a fun playthrough.

Hello,
adamhm:
Maybe the Linux and MacOSX versions are Steam Exclusives.... The first time I played Metro LL Redux was thanks to Steam OS... I have Win7 pro 64 bit on a test machine without internet, and the gog's version runs excellent. :)

Hello,
adamhm:
That's too bad :( Surely I'm not going to buy it until the Linux version will come out on GOG.
Digital_CHE: Maybe the Linux and MacOSX versions are Steam Exclusives.... The first time I played Metro LL Redux was thanks to Steam OS... I have Win7 pro 64 bit on a test machine without internet, and the gog's version runs excellent. :)
Valve claim they don't practice exclusives, so it might be something else. I wrote to Deep Silver about it (but no response so far).
Post edited May 14, 2015 by shmerl
shmerl: Valve claim they don't practice exclusives, so it might be something else. I wrote to Deep Silver about it (but no response so far).
Well.. VALVe is lying, because they DO practice exclusives:

The PC version (linux included) of the franchises "Half-Life" and "Portal" are exclusives of Steam.
shmerl: Valve claim they don't practice exclusives, so it might be something else. I wrote to Deep Silver about it (but no response so far).
Digital_CHE: Well.. VALVe is lying, because they DO practice exclusives:

The PC version (linux included) of the franchises "Half-Life" and "Portal" are exclusives of Steam.
What I meant is that they don't make exclusive deals with other developers (or at least so they claim). However this case with Metro Last Light Redux looks very fishy.
Post edited May 14, 2015 by shmerl

Hello,
adamhm:
I just got a response from Deep Silver:
Thank you for your email.

The details for a Linux version of Last Light Redux are TBD.
So there is some hope.