It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ready to play dirty?

<span class="bold">Gremlins, Inc.</span>, a fierce digital board game where you must outmanoeuvre other gremlin businessmen at every turn, is now available on GOG.com with a 50% launch discount.

This is a gremlin eat gremlin world of ruthless capitalism, political power struggles, and opportunistic moves. Use cunning, subterfuge, and your conveniently maladjusted moral compass to navigate a steampunk universe of cut-throat profiteering, both in single-player and multiplayer.

Expand your experience further with the <span class="bold">Digital Artbook</span> or <span class="bold">Soundtrack</span>, plus the <span class="bold">Uninvited Guests</span>, <span class="bold">Astral Gamblers</span>, and <span class="bold">Automated Competitors</span> DLC.

The 50% discount will last until May 18, 13:00 PM UTC.

NOTE: The game supports Galaxy/Steam crossplay, GOG Galaxy achievements, and a fully functional mod Workshop, among other things.

When you buy this game, you get 2 products in your GOG Library: Gremlins, Inc. – playable online in single-player and multiplayer modes, with item drops; and Gremlins vs Automatons – playable offline in single-player mode.

Tinker with the trailer.
Post edited May 12, 2017 by maladr0Id
Well, whatever other pros and cons there may be, from what I can see there is a clear option to play a single-player game offline with all the content needed to have the full playing experience available from the off. I say playing experience, because cosmetic differences do not affect playing experience, just viewing experience, imo. According to the developer's comments this will also include free updates for all future additions made to the playing experience (I see something about "seasons"). That is better than a number of other game models currently available on gog.

And then, even though I'd never be interested in multiplayer functionality, even in multiplayer no one can pay to gain an advantage over other competitors. Everyone plays from the same deck, even if some may have different looking decks by having purchased any of the cosmetic DLC's.

This all sounds like an excellent presentation of a product to me. Wishlisted.
Johnathanamz: I just don't like microtransactions invading every single video games on the video games market.

I don't really like capitalism invading almost every part of life.
SergeiKlimov: We feel that to be successful in this format, you have to design the game from scratch to be geared towards continued revenue. This poses a very big design challenge (at least for us): creating an enjoyable experience that at the same time should motivate players to spend more, or at least offer such opportunities naturally. I would say that rather few companies succeeded in this, e.g. Supercell, Wargaming, and it's an immense task to do this right. No one on our team has the required skills or experience to try this out, for now.

In a more general sense, what I see from the Steam dev forums, is that many young dev teams struggle to find audience when they launch. And quite often the solution is to start with the game being free, get the crowd of players, and then somehow transition into the F2P revenue model. It's not that they're being evil (at least the teams that I refer to), it's just that they see no other way to access the audience.

As a contra example, we are very successful in China with Gremlins, Inc. Roughly every 3rd player in the game right now is from China. When we just started there, we were told by many people that Chinese market only works for a free-to-play product, and we are not going to see much success offering it at ¥68. But in fact there's a great community that plays the game and does not view the regular/premium sales model as a barrier. I think, any kind of financial model is fine, as long as it's done well and with user experience in mind.
towerbooks3192: - Is this a watered down version that will be like Armello which was not further supported?

-Can I play this and all its contents (multiplayer not included of course) offline?

-Lastly, I got this game on steam but if it is playable offline now, is there any chance this will be on GOG connect since I would want to get all the DLCs on GOG.
SergeiKlimov: (1) I'm not familiar with what you refer to. The gameplay functionality of the GOG release of Gremlins, Inc. and its Steam release is 1:1. The only differences in experience are in what Steam and GOG Galaxy offer on top of the games, i.e. Steam Marketplace/Steam Item Store.

(2) You can play Gremlins vs Automatons offline, this is a standalone product. To access multiplayer and online-specific features (in-game item drops), you will need to launch Gremlins, Inc., which connects to the server.

(3) If you have this game on Steam, then you also have both products: the offline and the online editions. We haven't discussed GOG Connect with anyone at GOG yet, so I have nothing to say on this issue for the moment, sorry.
For the million dollar question that will determine whether I will click that purchase button or not:

Do DLCs work with the offline version and future DLCs will have offline support? This is what worried me since Armello ditched any more support for the GOG version and stopped patching it nor adding more DLCs too.
towerbooks3192: Do DLCs work with the offline version and future DLCs will have offline support? This is what worried me since Armello ditched any more support for the GOG version and stopped patching it nor adding more DLCs too.
We currently have no plans for more DLCs, the existing 5 are the OST (which we updated with 5 new tracks and will continue to update as more original music is being created); the 100+ page Artbook (which is more like "the making of") and the trilogy of cosmetic assets that were designed as a whole set.

These DLCs were created for Gremlins, Inc. The offline product, Gremlins vs Automatons, does not support DLC functionality at all, neither on Steam nor on GOG (it's just a different piece of software).

In general, we prefer to invest further dev time into creating the 2nd (alternative) playing field, which will have more impact on everyone's player experience than any new cosmetic DLC (there's no ETA for this right now; once we finish it, it will be released as a free update to the product).
Post edited May 11, 2017 by SergeiKlimov
towerbooks3192: Do DLCs work with the offline version and future DLCs will have offline support? This is what worried me since Armello ditched any more support for the GOG version and stopped patching it nor adding more DLCs too.
SergeiKlimov: We currently have no plans for more DLCs, the existing 5 are the OST (which we updated with 5 new tracks and will continue to update as more original music is being created); the 100+ page Artbook (which is more like "the making of") and the trilogy of cosmetic assets that were designed as a whole set.

These DLCs were created for Gremlins, Inc. The offline product, Gremlins vs Automatons, does not support DLC functionality at all, neither on Steam nor on GOG (it's just a different piece of software).

In general, we prefer to invest further dev time into creating the 2nd (alternative) playing field, which will have more impact on everyone's player experience than any new cosmetic DLC (there's no ETA for this right now; once we finish it, it will be released as a free update to the product).
Oh, ok. That is unfortunate. I will look forward on how this is going to be updated then. I will skip it for the moment. Thanks for answering the questions.
towerbooks3192: I will look forward on how this is going to be updated then.
Since there is cross-platform multiplayer, we update Steam and GOG versions at the same time. Wouldn't work for the product otherwise.
I remember this game from a while back and the craziness that surrounded it. If I'm understanding correctly, GOG has now actually released a game that requires you to be online for single-player? Is this real? If so, I don't know what to do.
Marioface5: I remember this game from a while back and the craziness that surrounded it. If I'm understanding correctly, GOG has now actually released a game that requires you to be online for single-player? Is this real? If so, I don't know what to do.
You have both the online and the offline version.

SergeiKlimov: (2) You can play Gremlins vs Automatons offline, this is a standalone product. To access multiplayer and online-specific features (in-game item drops), you will need to launch Gremlins, Inc., which connects to the server.
Post edited May 11, 2017 by Gersen
Marioface5: I remember this game from a while back and the craziness that surrounded it. If I'm understanding correctly, GOG has now actually released a game that requires you to be online for single-player? Is this real? If so, I don't know what to do.
No. Gremlins vs Automatons is the standalone offline singleplayer version of Gremlins Inc. (which is also included).
PaterAlf: No. Gremlins vs Automatons is the standalone offline singleplayer version of Gremlins Inc. (which is also included).
But Gremlins Inc does require you to be online for single-player, correct? And since all of the DLC seems to only list multiplayer in the "Features" section, it seems all of that is limited to Gremlins Inc, the online-only version of the game.
Marioface5: But Gremlins Inc does require you to be online for single-player, correct? And since all of the DLC seems to only list multiplayer in the "Features" section, it seems all of that is limited to Gremlins Inc, the online-only version of the game.
Gremlins Inc does not have single player I believe, it a online multiplayer game only. Gremlins vs Automatons is the single player version. Basically they split single player and multiplayer into two separate games.
In my book there's no justification for a digital boardgame (or any turn based game really) not having a hot seat mode. This looks neat, but not being able to play with people in the same room is a dealbreaker to me.
Marioface5: But Gremlins Inc does require you to be online for single-player, correct? And since all of the DLC seems to only list multiplayer in the "Features" section, it seems all of that is limited to Gremlins Inc, the online-only version of the game.
BKGaming: Gremlins Inc does not have single player I believe, it a online multiplayer game only. Gremlins vs Automatons is the single player version. Basically they split single player and multiplayer into two separate games.
It says right on the store page that Gremlins Inc can be played online in single-player mode.
The DLCs are indeed only for the multiplayer version (Gremlins Inc.). But they seem to be cosmetic only, so you don't really miss any gameplay features without them.

At least that's what the developer said (haven't checked it myself).
Ah! Good to see that it arrived on GOG fnally.

But I gonna pass on it. Not interessted in that DRM-, Microtransaction & AlwaysOn-Nonsene. Would be an awesome game without it.
Post edited May 11, 2017 by Woolytoes
Marioface5: It says right on the store page that Gremlins Inc can be played online in single-player mode.
Well I wouldn't exactly call that single player, that's probably because that's how it was originally designed though and then the broke off the single player into Gremlins vs Automatons as an offline version.

But was I said is basically true, they split single player and multiplayer into two separate games due to people complaining about it being online only. Which is probably why GOG finally allowed them to release here after denying them originally.