It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The ups the downs, and brutal takedowns of mining in space.

<span class="bold">Descent: Underground</span>, the thrilling return of the first-person space shooter with six degrees of freedom, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com, with GOG Galaxy support for cross-play multiplayer and a 50% launch discount.

The legendary Descent is back and it takes you deep underground! Built on Unreal Engine 4 and improving upon the intoxicating flight mechanics of the originals, it brings the fight to the most perilous corners of space, where only the bravest or most desperate pilots venture in search of lucrative mining opportunities. Customize your ship and team up with friends for some fast-paced arcade action, spinning and swerving freely through twisting corridors as you gun down your opponents.
Descendant Studios, the people committed to bringing back this beloved franchise, are planning on adding a slew of neat features throughout the In Development stage: more ship types, weapons, and gadgets, more ways to interact with your environment, single player story missions, and tons of other cool additions.

Jump into your agile spaceship, calibrate your blasters, and dive into <span class="bold">Descent: Underground</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
The 50% discount will last until January 21, 1:59 PM UTC.

Note: This game is currently in development. See the <span class="bold">FAQ</span> to learn more about games in development, and check out the forums to find more information and to stay in touch with the community.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qbSChGuH7dI
Post edited December 21, 2016 by maladr0Id
Smannesman: Hmm so if authentication and Galaxy is required for multiplayer I guess there's no LAN play or the option to run your own server?
Not yet. Those will be coming at or soon after the full release.
Post edited December 21, 2016 by Pixley
Pixley: Not yet. Those will be coming at or soon after release.
OK that's cool, that always helps a games 'longevity'.
Smannesman: Hmm so if authentication and Galaxy is required for multiplayer I guess there's no LAN play or the option to run your own server?
Could that be considered, Steam-lite (no gog Galaxy needed for SP)?
ValamirCleaver: www.gog.com/galaxy
"Truly gamer friendly, DRM-free online gaming platform.

GOG GALAXY is a fully optional client to install, play and update your games. It also offers online multiplayer, achievements, chat, game-time tracking and more - but it’s up to you which features you want to use. "
This is certainly not the only game on GOG that requires Galaxy for multiplayer. There's even a GOG Mix for it. The difference here is that the game, which is still in development, doesn't really have any offline game play. That's still to come.

You can play the game just fine without galaxy, there just isn't much to do.
Post edited December 21, 2016 by hummer010
I have this game on Steam, IIRC it's in early access since over a year and they haven't added much to it since then.

So who knows if this game will ever be finished? *IF* the developers ever finish it and add a single-player campaign i might give it a try. But at the moment it looks like it will focus mainly on the multi-player aspect so i'm not interested. :D
hummer010: This is certainly not the only game on GOG that requires Galaxy for multiplayer. There's even a GOG Mix for it. The difference here is that the game, which is still in development, doesn't really have any offline game play. That's still to come.

You can play the game just fine without galaxy, there just isn't much to do.
You're wasting your time, some will bitch about this no matter how much logic you use.... also that mix is really outdated.
BKGaming: .... also that mix is really outdated.
I thought so, but I wasn't sure. I'm not too interested in multiplayer, so I don't pay too much attention to it.
Post edited December 21, 2016 by hummer010
deleted
nice
It looks promising, but GOG, is there any chance, that the old Descent games come back into the GOG Catalog?
"Earth Starves... The Mines Await." Wait, what? Quite the curious and dumb-sounding tagline, and it makes absolutely no sense. That's right, let me chew on some rock instead. =P

This game still looks decidedly average. I think I'll keep waiting for Overload, the real Descent successor, to release.
Post edited December 21, 2016 by mistermumbles
high rated
Impaler26: I have this game on Steam, IIRC it's in early access since over a year and they haven't added much to it since then.

So who knows if this game will ever be finished? *IF* the developers ever finish it and add a single-player campaign i might give it a try. But at the moment it looks like it will focus mainly on the multi-player aspect so i'm not interested. :D
Well if you consider that we launched with 3 ships, no special abilities, and 3 maps, and now have over 10 maps, Vs bots AI, Survival, Miner Mayhem, Corporate war game types, 9 ships with all different abilities and power ups and features, and are working on a prologue single player campaign as no progress than yeah...

Otherwise, we have made tremendous progress, the game is deep - there is a ton of fun stuff to do, and there is even MORE coming - as we release every 2 - 3 weeks - Single player is due early to mid next year, and that will be our leaving early access point.

So, for a team of 10, we have made a TON of progress to a game and moved the genre forward, it is not easy taking on a genre that has been dormant and bringing it back, and advancing it forward at the same time, but with your help we will get there.

Sorry if this post came off as harsh, but as someone that is doing this with our team out of passion, I feel the need to set the record straight.

Taking on the Descent name, and advancing the game play into the modern era is no easy task - we have to balance the core of the original fun and put in proper enhancements to allow it to appeal to a wider modern audience....a big balancing act.

Thanks for considering it.....and those that decide to join in, you can get your voice heard on our forums at www.descentunderground.com and let us know what you think and what you believe would enhance the experience, we are building this with the community involved.

Oh, yes, that is another thing, we have community maps now too...

:)

WM
ValamirCleaver: If the devs would really like to be thought of favorably & show sincere goodwill they should allow the return of the games they had yanked from sale last year.
That has nothing to do with us - that was Interplay and Parallax - we are rebooting the franchise with a pro-logue a re-imagining of the universe.

We want NOTHING to do with tired old arguments.

Most of us left Star CItizen 2 years ago to do this project as we wanted to bring Descent back from Interplay's sock drawer......we took the risk to bringing an entire genre back from the dead.

Let's hope the new generation likes it as much as us old folks do.

Thanks.

WM
Post edited December 21, 2016 by DaDakota
ValamirCleaver: "Online authentication" for a game being sold on a retailer that prides it self on only selling DRM-free games? Anyone else see what seems wrong with this picture?...
Pixley: We aren't preventing folks from playing the game offline. The authentication exists solely to access multiplayer to determine identity, so we (and you) can track stats, and (eventually) progression can be tracked.
That is a TALL story nowadays.Too many companies are using this ploy to spy on people and combat piracy but it's mostly the former.And why? Very simple thing called advertising,money for all except the poor unsuspecting buyer.
Pixley: They already are. :)
CharlesGrey: Thanks for dropping by to answer a few questions.

How much are you guys focusing on the single-player/story mode? Or is it primarily a multi-player game?
Because we have 9 ships instead of 1 - and are a small team we wanted the audiences help in balancing the mulitiplayer experience first - we have a few things to tidy up in MP, like leveling up and unlocks etc, but the team is primarily focused on the SP campaign right now.

The story is written, a few of the maps are made, and we have bots, reactors, and a re-imagining of how Descent came to be, there are lots of videos out and we do a weekly update show at 11am CST on our Twitch channel to talk about development and what is going on each week - called Wingman's Hangar. twitch.tv/descendentstudios is the link.

So, we are very SP focused, as that is on the near horizon.

For those wondering why we are doing GOG now, we wanted to do it earlier, but we had to make changes to allow offline play before we could get here - and those were later in our schedule, and as a small independent team - we had to do it in order.

So enjoy, have fun, and we will try to answer any questions you might have......even the grumpy ones.....

WM
Tauto: That is a TALL story nowadays.Too many companies are using this ploy to spy on people and combat piracy but it's mostly the former.And why? Very simple thing called advertising,money for all except the poor unsuspecting buyer.
How do you propose to track online stats and achievements without some form authentication?