It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ddickinson: I have seen some older games using rhombus grids, would that be any good? Or it is a bad shape to work with?
It's not something I've looked at, but I imagine it would be a little more complicated than squares without a huge amount of benefit (you'd still get quite unnatural looking maps).
tinyE: We got to 33 today, by far the warmest it's been since November.
gunsynd: Too Hot
Well the 180 inches of snow tend to counter the tropical vibe brought on by a 33 degree heatwave. :P
l0rdtr3k: Lucky you that has the Black Library.
The Emperor didn't graced my country with it :( He works in mysterious ways.
I want to Read either Eisenhorn or Ultramarines. Are those good?
The God-Emperor would never let his books fall into the hands of heretics. (I'm only joking, no offence meant)

Eisenhorn is very good, from what I remember. I have not read Ultramarines yet, it's in my library, but I have not gotten around to reading it yet.

adaliabooks: It's not something I've looked at, but I imagine it would be a little more complicated than squares without a huge amount of benefit (you'd still get quite unnatural looking maps).
I can see your point. Probably a silly suggestion, but then I know nothing about game design. :-)
Post edited January 18, 2015 by ddickinson
adaliabooks: It's not something I've looked at, but I imagine it would be a little more complicated than squares without a huge amount of benefit (you'd still get quite unnatural looking maps).
ddickinson: I can see your point. Probably a silly suggestion, but then I know nothing about game design. :-)
Any suggestions are fine, it wasn't something I'd considered yet. The ideal situation (and my original plan) was to use a system similar to that in Crusader Kings 2. The problem is I'm not entirely sure what that system is. I had a look at the modding guides for the game and what they seem to do is take a 2d map with the regions coloured in block colours and use that to create the regions, the borders, calculate where clicks have landed etc.
I tried this approach to start with, and it was reasonably successful (I managed to turn the image into a texture of the borders for my model, and read the clicks properly) but it was getting unmanageable and crashing because it needed too much memory. If I had a better idea what I was doing I could probably make it work, but I'm just fumbling around really...

ddickinson: but then I know nothing about game design. :-)
To be honest... neither do I :D
But it's amazing what you can learn on the internet if you're determined enough.
I just wish all my ideas weren't ridiculously complicated....
low rated
Poor old Crow,his locked in on lox:-)
adaliabooks: ...
Now that I think about it, it could have been 2D games that I remember using the rhombus grid, so it probably wouldn't be viable for 3D. I think it's great that you are teaching yourself as you go along, it makes it more fun :-). What software are you using to make your game? And is it a common tool for making commercial games?
tinyE: We got to 33 today, by far the warmest it's been since November.
gunsynd: Too Hot
That was my initial reaction but then I remember that tinyE is in (probably) the last country on Earth that still measure the temperature in Fahrenheit.

It's -20 C now but we will get as warm as tinyE's corner of the world Monday with about 10 to 20 cm of snow (3 to 6 inches), but that's winter around here, hotter temperatures always bring snow, and sunny days are the coldest.
gunsynd: Poor old Crow,his locked in on lox:-)
Worse than that, had to go run errands.

Managed to do it without hitting someone with a shopping cart, so there's that upshot, I guess.
Yay for not going to jail and all that. -laughs-

Need to drink a bunch of vitamin C crap that looks and tastes like Strawberry Shortcake's blackhead discharge with carbonation added, since I'm trying to get sick alongside everything else.
Post edited January 18, 2015 by CarrionCrow
adaliabooks: ...
ddickinson: Now that I think about it, it could have been 2D games that I remember using the rhombus grid, so it probably wouldn't be viable for 3D. I think it's great that you are teaching yourself as you go along, it makes it more fun :-). What software are you using to make your game? And is it a common tool for making commercial games?
I've always thought myself everything. Never been much for learning in more conventional ways. I much prefer to teach myself through trial and error.

Currently working in Panda3D, which has apparently been used by Disney for some games (including current GoG favourite Pirates of the Caribbean Online). But the options for UI aren't great, so I may switch to libgdx (which I think is mainly used for Android stuff, and I think it's had a few commercially released games) or I might switch to something else entirely, but that means more research and trying to find something that's: free, well documented, and not too difficult to learn or use...
adaliabooks: ... and trying to find something that's: free, well documented, and not too difficult to learn or use...
Good luck really. From my experience this gets more impossible with the complexity of the software.
adaliabooks: ... and trying to find something that's: free, well documented, and not too difficult to learn or use...
toxicTom: Good luck really. From my experience this gets more impossible with the complexity of the software.
Yeah, I have discovered that. And quite often free and well documented are very difficult to achieve at the same time.

To be honest I'd pretty much settle for free and does what I want, and I'd muddle through the rest, but even that's hard to find.
I've finished it...
Guys,I've finally finished it!!! I completed the Dark Savant trilogy!!!! Took me forever buy goddamn was it worth it!
low rated
gunsynd: Poor old Crow,his locked in on lox:-)
CarrionCrow: Worse than that, had to go run errands.

Managed to do it without hitting someone with a shopping cart, so there's that upshot, I guess.

Need to drink a bunch of vitamin C crap that looks and tastes like Strawberry Shortcake's blackhead discharge with carbonation added, since I'm trying to get sick alongside everything else.
Hope your not one of those persons that stands in the middle of the aisle with their trolley looking stupid,oblivious to someone wishing to overtake."-)
Hang on I ask you before Deja vu
Post edited January 18, 2015 by gunsynd
CarrionCrow: Worse than that, had to go run errands.

gunsynd: Hope your not one of those persons that stands in the middle of the aisle with their trolley looking stupid,oblivious to someone wishing to overtake."-)
No, I'm the one who scares those people out of the way with a combo of high speed, loud music, large size and foul mood since it seems like 97 percent of the population have forgotten what it's like to live life without their head up their ass, leaving me no choice but to go that route since they're too fucking dumb to recognize anything else.
low rated
gunsynd: Hope your not one of those persons that stands in the middle of the aisle with their trolley looking stupid,oblivious to someone wishing to overtake."-)
CarrionCrow: No, I'm the one who scares those people out of the way with a combo of high speed, loud music, large size and foul mood since it seems like 97 percent of the population have forgotten what it's like to live life without their head up their ass, leaving me no choice but to go that route since they're too fucking dumb to recognize anything else.
How's lox going??