It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

blakstar: So, from what you're saying, stay out if you're bad-mannered, but borderline insanity is OK! :-P
-giggling- Shit, man (or lady, best not to presume such things), if that's all you're worried about, you can breathe easy.

I'm halfway out of my skull on a daily basis, and people here still seem to like me for some reason. ;)
ddickinson: I never thought the game was too easy, and if you die you have to repeat sections, so being able to take a few blows makes it easier as you don't have to replay the section so much, which would have made the game more annoying for me.

You of course won't miss anything very major, it does take control away now and then, but very rarely. You can miss quite a lot of extra bits, which is nice in a way that they don't take control just so that you see their work.
That makes sense. Endless repeating gets old. Very old. Miserably old. Insufferably old. I want to kick the developers in the balls old. (Glaring at you and your lack of checkpoints so godsdamned hard, Bit Trip Runner.)

That's effort without pettiness. They make cool stuff, but they aren't so bound to it that they wreck the experience by dragging you around by the nose from cutscene to cutscene.
Post edited May 14, 2016 by CarrionCrow
Well, having made my brief debut in this thread, I shall wish everyone a pleasant evening*, and say goodnight. :-)

*Unless you're far enough East that it's practically morning, in which case "Good morning", but I'm still going to bed! :-P
blakstar: Well, having made my brief debut in this thread, I shall wish everyone a pleasant evening*, and say goodnight. :-)

*Unless you're far enough East that it's practically morning, in which case "Good morning", but I'm still going to bed! :-P
Good meeting you, feel free to come back around if you like.

Have a good night, sleep well. =)
CarrionCrow: That makes sense. Endless repeating gets old. Very old. Miserably old. Insufferably old. I want to kick the developers in the balls old. (Glaring at you and your lack of checkpoints so godsdamned hard, Bit Trip Runner.)

That's effort without pettiness. They make cool stuff, but they aren't so bound to it that they wreck the experience by dragging you around by the nose from cutscene to cutscene.
There are still a few points that can be a little annoying. One of the big critasisms people have about Outlast are some of the chase scenes. But while some did annoy me a little, that is the point of the game, it is hard to think of more things to do on a game like that while keeping the feeling they were going for. I liked the storyline, although the DLC does ruin it by messing up the time scale, but that is still a good game.

Maybe they leave it there for when you hopefully replay the game. Seeing the odd new things makes it nice when replaying a game to see things you never noticed before. Plus taking control away all the time would ruin the immersion.

blakstar: Well, having made my brief debut in this thread, I shall wish everyone a pleasant evening*, and say goodnight. :-)

Goodnight, sleep well.
ddickinson: There are still a few points that can be a little annoying. One of the big critasisms people have about Outlast are some of the chase scenes. But while some did annoy me a little, that is the point of the game, it is hard to think of more things to do on a game like that while keeping the feeling they were going for. I liked the storyline, although the DLC does ruin it by messing up the time scale, but that is still a good game.

Maybe they leave it there for when you hopefully replay the game. Seeing the odd new things makes it nice when replaying a game to see things you never noticed before. Plus taking control away all the time would ruin the immersion.
I really need to play that already so I know exactly what you're referring to, and what I thought of it experience-wise.

That could be it. If so, that's a brave move for a company to take with a horror game. Horror games are very much driven by that first experience, I think. Once you've experienced it, it won't be as strong if you go back to it.
CarrionCrow: I really need to play that already so I know exactly what you're referring to, and what I thought of it experience-wise.

That could be it. If so, that's a brave move for a company to take with a horror game. Horror games are very much driven by that first experience, I think. Once you've experienced it, it won't be as strong if you go back to it.
Great, now you will hate it and blame me for saying it was good. :-)

I guess it could be that they did not want to take control away too much and risk missing somethings. If they kept taking over like many games do, it breaks the feeling of you being there. You make a good point about replaying a horror game. While I would not be against replaying it, preferably with someone who had not played it, it would not be the same and could be quite dull on my own.
ddickinson: Great, now you will hate it and blame me for saying it was good. :-)

I guess it could be that they did not want to take control away too much and risk missing somethings. If they kept taking over like many games do, it breaks the feeling of you being there. You make a good point about replaying a horror game. While I would not be against replaying it, preferably with someone who had not played it, it would not be the same and could be quite dull on my own.
-laughs- I kinda doubt that.
If it's any consolation, I ask you to consider some of the digital abortions I've played.
My bar is currently hovering around "at least it's not frigging awful and it doesn't make me repeat levels five hundred times..." on the expectation scale.

If you get dragged around constantly in a horror game, it runs the risk of turning the interactive experience into a haunted house ride at the local carnival. Not organic, not unique, gets annoying, certainly don't want to do it again.

You'd have to bank on seeing all the stuff you missed before on a replay. At that point, it's not really a horror game. It's wandering around scouring for hidden items like thousands of other games do.
CarrionCrow: -laughs- I kinda doubt that.
If it's any consolation, I ask you to consider some of the digital abortions I've played.
My bar is currently hovering around "at least it's not frigging awful and it doesn't make me repeat levels five hundred times..." on the expectation scale.

If you get dragged around constantly in a horror game, it runs the risk of turning the interactive experience into a haunted house ride at the local carnival. Not organic, not unique, gets annoying, certainly don't want to do it again.

You'd have to bank on seeing all the stuff you missed before on a replay. At that point, it's not really a horror game. It's wandering around scouring for hidden items like thousands of other games do.
I was only joking. It is totally fine if you did not like it, I am not gonna be a fangirl over something silly like a computer game that I have nothing to do with and become hostile/upset because someone does not like it. As you said earlier with Lifeless Planet, we all like different things, that is why there are so many games out there, to cater for as many different tastes as possible. I do think it is so silly this whole fanboy culture of insulting each other over games they like and don't like. Sometimes people need to realise there are more important things in life than a computer game and just grow up, especially the adults.

What is strange with Outlast and the immersion is that I don't remember a loading screen at all during the base game (there could have been), but the DLC does have a few, which does damage the immersion. I am not sure why the base game does not have them but the DLC did, maybe pressed for time with the release, who knows.

That is very true. I think that is why I would only consider it with someone who has not played it, as it can be fun seeing their reactions and it is always fun playing a game with someone else. But on my own, I am not sure I would really enjoy it as a horror game.

Edit: I had better call it a night as I am stating to (finally) fall asleep. It has been very nice talking, like always. Take care, and I hope you have a really nice weekend. *big sleepy wave*
Post edited May 14, 2016 by ddickinson
*walks into thread with black coffee half-asleep*

good morning and all that... although Tembo the Unity Game Made By Sega that Includes Worst Controller Support kinda made me sad...

That should teach me not to trust big company games to be automatically polished...

Great game and all, but seems nobody can't reconfigure their buttons, and the ones I've got working are hurting my fingers.
Can't even bother to try any more workarounds, uninstalled the game.
ddickinson: I was only joking. It is totally fine if you did not like it, I am not gonna be a fangirl over something silly like a computer game that I have nothing to do with and become hostile/upset because someone does not like it. As you said earlier with Lifeless Planet, we all like different things, that is why there are so many games out there, to cater for as many different tastes as possible. I do think it is so silly this whole fanboy culture of insulting each other over games they like and don't like. Sometimes people need to realise there are more important things in life than a computer game and just grow up, especially the adults.

What is strange with Outlast and the immersion is that I don't remember a loading screen at all during the base game (there could have been), but the DLC does have a few, which does damage the immersion. I am not sure why the base game does not have them but the DLC did, maybe pressed for time with the release, who knows.

That is very true. I think that is why I would only consider it with someone who has not played it, as it can be fun seeing their reactions and it is always fun playing a game with someone else. But on my own, I am not sure I would really enjoy it as a horror game.

Edit: I had better call it a night as I am stating to (finally) fall asleep. It has been very nice talking, like always. Take care, and I hope you have a really nice weekend. *big sleepy wave*
Just imagine how much of the internet would go quiet if people could manage to grow the fuck up a little bit...

Can't say on that one. Will have a better idea regarding the feel of it all once I finally play the main game and DLC.

Yeah, that's probably where the most fun could be found after that first playthrough. It's not going to change, so you'll probably need something new to focus on for enjoyment.

Also, my apologies for zoning out mid-conversation. Heat plus pills equaled mini-coma.
I hope you have a good weekend, with no grief or garbage.
superstande: *walks into thread with black coffee half-asleep*

good morning and all that... although Tembo the Unity Game Made By Sega that Includes Worst Controller Support kinda made me sad...

That should teach me not to trust big company games to be automatically polished...

Great game and all, but seems nobody can't reconfigure their buttons, and the ones I've got working are hurting my fingers.
Can't even bother to try any more workarounds, uninstalled the game.
Good morning. =)

Yeah, can't really depend on the supposed "triple-A" publishers for jack shit at this point.
My thought would be to check back every few days, see if they mention anything about patching their screwup.
Post edited May 14, 2016 by CarrionCrow
CarrionCrow: Good morning. =)

Yeah, can't really depend on the supposed "triple-A" publishers for jack shit at this point.
My thought would be to check back every few days, see if they mention anything about patching their screwup.
Hello, Crow! :)
Yeah, I guess that's established; triple-A has to be triple-checked to make sure they haven't skipped something essential :)
Just went ahead and bought Xpadder program, and tested it on Mercenary Kings. Working super smooth, very happy with who ever programmed it :) Also remember Judas recommending the program for Deadly Tower of Monsters some time ago...
Might even some day try to see if I can use Xpadder to bind my controller to Tembo's keyboard buttons, if the publishers don't release any patches...

Hope your... night is going fine?
Post edited May 14, 2016 by superstande
superstande: Hello, Crow! :)
Yeah, I guess that's established; triple-A has to be triple-checked to make sure they haven't skipped something essential :)
Just went ahead and bought Xpadder program, and tested it on Mercenary Kings. Working super smooth, very happy with who ever programmed it :) Also remember Judas recommending the program for Deadly Tower of Monsters some time ago...
Might even some day try to see if I can use Xpadder to bind my controller to Tembo's keyboard buttons, if the publishers don't release any patches...

Hope your... night is going fine?
Sounds like a good backup plan in case they drop the ball even harder and never fix their mistakes.

Can't complain here. It's a quiet night in general. Watching some videos until I get sleepy.
CarrionCrow: Sounds like a good backup plan in case they drop the ball even harder and never fix their mistakes.

Can't complain here. It's a quiet night in general. Watching some videos until I get sleepy.
yeah. from the stuff I've read in Steam forum, there have been understandably upset voices about how trying to rebind the buttons in-game will permanently mess up even the default buttons. One has to go delete the config files then :)
Will be my last support for Sega if they don't fix this.
But I'm not too upset. Ace team (the Deadly Tower people) has done an excellent job with Abyss Odyssey, got that from Humble. And with Mercenary Kings seems I have three excellent action games and a program to do fun button configs if necessary.

Anyhow, hope you have a pleasant night and sleep well when it's due.
Post edited May 14, 2016 by superstande
*hugs and waves*
Good morning everyone *big hugs and waves*

I hope you're all doing fine :)
moonshineshadow: *hugs and waves*
Good morning *big return hug*
How are you doing?
Are you having a relaxing weekend after the conference?
Post edited May 14, 2016 by ElTerprise