It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

fronzelneekburm: Also, Epic has turned into the better Humble Bundle in recent years: You get 4+ games per month (often more than double that), a decent percentage of those are DRM-free, most of the titles aren't total shovelware (some of them are actually pretty good and there's a decent amount of AAA titles) and best of all: it's free.
Isn’t Epic owned by Tencent?
fronzelneekburm: Also, Epic has turned into the better Humble Bundle in recent years: You get 4+ games per month (often more than double that), a decent percentage of those are DRM-free, most of the titles aren't total shovelware (some of them are actually pretty good and there's a decent amount of AAA titles) and best of all: it's free.
Souffrir: Isn’t Epic owned by Tencent?
Tim Sweeney is in control of Epic with > 50%(*). Tencent holds 40%(*).

(*) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Games
tfishell: Where are you shopping now for games instead of GOG?
I prefere GOG, followed by DRM free Humble games, Gamejolt, Fireflowergames, itch.io, Epic. Then comes Steam. I evn own a couple of arcade games in the MS Windows Store, since they were not released anywhere else. But I can't stand how the MS Store manages the installation (ony drive chooseable, encrypted folders, encrypted files), so the Windows store is not an option as long as I have an alternative.
Zrevnur: All numbers I extracted are in 'thousand PLN' ~= 260 USD.

Update: Numbers for Q2 2021 are out - unfortunately they are integrated into 'H1 2021':

Q2 2021 does not look good for GOG:

Q2 2021 numbers (sales 52498, 2576 loss) are worse than Q1 2021 (sales 53 835, loss 1 883)
H1 2021 numbers (sales 106 333, 4 459 loss) are worse than H1 2020 (sales 109 794, profit 5 573)
Q2 2021 numbers (sales 52498, 2576 loss) are worse than Q2 2020(*) (60801 sales, 3652 profit)
There is a gfx for sales by quarter over the last few years on page 35: https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2021/09/management-board-report-on-cd-projekt-group-activities-in-h1-2021.pdf
I have attached an image to this post.

There is also a partial explanation for the losses GOG is making(**):
Sales side:

In the GOG.COM segment gross profit in the reporting period reached 29 473 thousand PLN, which is 4 725
thousand PLN (13.8%) less than in the reference period. This reduction in profit is due to the following reasons:
- lower revenues from sales of products, coupled with a comparable cost of products and services sold (the latter dependent on depreciation schedules) – this concerns mainly GWENT: The Witcher Card Game and Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales;
- strengthening of the national currency observed during the reporting period, cutting into sales revenues (which GOG.COM obtains mainly in foreign currencies) and thereby reducing gross profit from sales;
- increased cost of goods and materials sold in relation to the corresponding sales revenues (the ratio increased from 71.1% in the reference period to 72.7% in the first half of 2021);
- VAT levied on the segment’s activities in additional tax jurisdictions, reducing the segment’s effective net profit (following deduction of VAT).
Costs side:

The reported increase in GOG.COM selling costs – at 6 512 thousand PLN (27.3%) compared to the first half
of 2020 is due to completion of development work on GOG GALAXY in the fourth quarter of 2020, triggering
the onset of depreciation of the newly created asset, while expenses related to further expansion of the service
are now directly assigned to costs.
(*) sources for Q2 2020:
page 25 https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2020/05/consolidated-financial-statement-of-cd-projekt-capital-group-for-q1-2020.pdf
page 21 https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2020/09/consolidated-financial-statement-of-the-cd-projekt-group-for-h1-2020.pdf
(**) page 48 and 49 https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2021/09/management-board-report-on-cd-projekt-group-activities-in-h1-2021.pdf
Attachments:
In what way are the refunds of Cyberpunk affecting those numbers?
arrua: In what way are the refunds of Cyberpunk affecting those numbers?
Dont know. I didnt see anything about it for GOG though there was something about costs or provisions for CP2077 returns/refunds for CDPR. Unfortunately there isnt much detailed information about GOG in those reports. There may be some general guidelines or reporting requirements for refunds but I dont have enough expertise to understand/know these if they exist.
Post edited September 14, 2021 by Zrevnur
arrua: In what way are the refunds of Cyberpunk affecting those numbers?
Zrevnur: Dont know. I didnt see anything about it for GOG though there was something about costs or provisions for CP2077 returns/refunds for CDPR. Unfortunately there isnt much detailed information about GOG in those reports. There may be some general guidelines or reporting requirements for refunds but I dont have enough expertise to understand/know these if they exist.
In the screenshot of your previous message, we see that Cyberpunk made GOG earn a huge amount of money. If so many peopie who bought the game asked for a refund, and given how slowly refunds are working this year, I think it is not out of the realm of possibilities for those money losses during the second quarter of 2021, to be due to those refunds. And if this theory is true, I would expect GOG to lose money in the third quarter of 2021 as well.

Of course, CDPR would never publicly admit the true reason behind those money losses if they really were due to the Cyberpunk refunds, right? That would put lots of shame (again) on that game´s development, the suits and the company itself.
Post edited September 14, 2021 by arrua
Not sure if it's been already mentioned but the zoom plattform has a new look.
Reminding me a bit of Gog ;)

Also, only the look updated. Not the selection.
Post edited September 15, 2021 by Naghan
arrua: If so many people who bought the game asked for a refund, and given how slowly refunds are working this year, I think it is not out of the realm of possibilities for those money losses during the second quarter of 2021
Maybe. I'll bet those that bought the game and are getting refunds will re-buy it later, so i am not sure there's much loss there unless it's from fee transactions, as no doubt CDPR is spending the next year polishing and finishing the game the way it should have been done.

I'm also reminded of No Man's Sky, some asking for refunds because they would intend to rebuy it the next week after a patch was out... Almost like it was a arcade game where each machine may have a different version and he wanted the newer version, not realizing it would just have a software update.

I'd think more likely smart people would either a) refund because they expect it to get a deep discount soon, or b) keep the game and just wait for the update, knowing there's more games to play than anyone can ever finish... If they lost total interest due to the badstate of the game and never want to touch it again, yeah refunds would then make more sense.

I suppose they could be processing refunds slowly so people might change their minds, or to process them at the speed that they make money from other games offsetting the losses a bit better rather than a giant dip... but that's a guess.
low rated
This may well be my last update, as I no longer really follow GOG and its sales any more, now that I have effectively moved completely to steam. Thank you, GOG, for all these years. It's been a pleasure, mostly.

===========================================================================================

I thought I'd keep a record of GOG games I would definitely have bought, were it not for my boycott.

GAMES NOT BOUGHT ON GOG IN 2021
(1) 18/1/21: Dread Nautical - $10
(2) 18/1/21: Operencia: The Stolen Sun - $15
(3) 29/1/21: Way of the Samurai 3 Deluxe - $2.5
(4) 29/1/21: Way of the Samurai 4 + DLC - $3.5
(5) 10/2/21: Drakensang - $3
(6) 10/2/21: Commander Keen Complete Pack - $1.5
(7) 10/2/21: XCOM 2 - $4.5
(8) 26/2/21: Cardaclysm: Shards of the Four - $9
(9) 22/3/21: Raji: An Ancient Epic - $12.5
(10) 30/3/21: Worms World Party Remastered - $2
(11) 2/4/21: Steel Rats Original Soundtrack - $1
(12) 29/4/21: Hob - $4
(13) 30/4/21: The 7th Circle - Endless Nightmare - $5
(14) 3/6/21: Warhammer Quest Deluxe - $4.5
(15) 3/6/21: Warhammer Quest 2: The End Times - $10
(16) 9/6/21: Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition - $3
(17) 9/6/21: THIEF: Definitive Edition - $6
(18) 9/6/21: Fae Tactics - $12
(19) 9/6/21: Loop Hero - $10
(20) 9/6/21: Styx: Master of Shadows - $2
(21) 14/6/21: Hellpoint Supporter Pack - $4
(22) 18/6/21: Samorost 2 - $1.5
(23) 2/7/21: Revelation - $4.5
(24) 2/7/21: Zyconix - $4.5
(25) 21/7/21: Ticket to Earth - $5
(26) 19/8/21: Tomb Raider: Legend - $1
(27) 19/8/21: Tomb Raider: Anniversary - $1
(28) 19/8/21: Tomb Raider: Underworld - $1
(29) 19/8/21: Tomb Raider GOTY - $4
(30) 19/8/21: Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Imperial Edition Bundle - $13.5
(31) 19/8/21: ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery) - $1.5
(32) 6/9/21: Ken Follett’s The Pillars of the Earth + DLC - $3.5
(33) 15/9/21: The Technomancer - $4

Total not spent on GOG so far: $170

===========================================================================================

Additionally, after 11 years of buying nothing but GOG, I have finally decided (in May) to begin buying video games elsewhere --- on Humble Store, Indiegala, Steam, Fanatical, Green Man Gaming, etc. --- as long as they're DRM-free and, more importantly, client-free.

Total spent elsewhere in 2021 so far: $80 (61 games)

My reasons for boycotting:
(1) GOG does not indicate which games contain single-player elements that require galaxy or an online presence (e.g. Absolver, CP2077), making it impossible to buy client-free games with confidence (I don't care whether or not they sell such games, I just want to know which, so I can avoid them) --- Status: Still waiting for GOG to add some indication of this, e.g. via a search filter or game page field.
(2) A significant number of offline installers are outdated vis-a-vis the galaxy installers, sometimes for months and years --- Status: Since the boycott began this has improved significantly, which seems to indicate that GOG has made an honest attempt to resolve this to some degree, so from my POV, I consider this, for now, to be resolved, assuming it does not deteriorate again.
Zrevnur: There is also a partial explanation for the losses GOG is making(**):
Sales side:

In the GOG.COM segment gross profit in the reporting period reached 29 473 thousand PLN, which is 4 725
thousand PLN (13.8%) less than in the reference period. This reduction in profit is due to the following reasons:
- lower revenues from sales of products, coupled with a comparable cost of products and services sold (the latter dependent on depreciation schedules) – this concerns mainly GWENT: The Witcher Card Game and Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales;
- strengthening of the national currency observed during the reporting period, cutting into sales revenues (which GOG.COM obtains mainly in foreign currencies) and thereby reducing gross profit from sales;
- increased cost of goods and materials sold in relation to the corresponding sales revenues (the ratio increased from 71.1% in the reference period to 72.7% in the first half of 2021);
- VAT levied on the segment’s activities in additional tax jurisdictions, reducing the segment’s effective net profit (following deduction of VAT).
Zrevnur: Costs side:

The reported increase in GOG.COM selling costs – at 6 512 thousand PLN (27.3%) compared to the first half
of 2020 is due to completion of development work on GOG GALAXY in the fourth quarter of 2020, triggering
the onset of depreciation of the newly created asset, while expenses related to further expansion of the service
are now directly assigned to costs.
Zrevnur:
Can anyone translate all of that into plain, normal, everyday English words?

Also, does this mean that GWENT is going to get axed soon? If so, then that will make a lot of GOG customers happy, LOL.
Post edited September 15, 2021 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
low rated
^ I love how this jokester will spend 2 years bitching about achievements and censorship, but won't take 30 mins out of their day to learn how to read an income statement, let alone 3 minutes to Google a currency conversion.
mrkgnao: This may well be my last update, as I no longer really follow GOG and its sales any more, now that I have effectively moved completely to steam. Thank you, GOG, for all these years. It's been a pleasure, mostly.
Sad... I take the opportunity to thank your contributions here mrkgnao. I hope this is not a goodbye and you stick around in the forum...
mrkgnao: This may well be my last update, as I no longer really follow GOG and its sales any more, now that I have effectively moved completely to steam. Thank you, GOG, for all these years. It's been a pleasure, mostly.
tag+: Sad... I take the opportunity to thank your contributions here mrkgnao. I hope this is not a goodbye and you stick around in the forum...
Yes. I still think that GOG's forum, despite its faults, is GOG's strong point, thanks to you all, its members.
Post edited September 16, 2021 by mrkgnao
Thanks heaps for your support mrkgnao. I'm not much for words but here's good luck on you're future endeavours.