It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Leevi: Edit: And my boycott of GOG has gone well, no money spent on GOG and haven't even bothered visiting the store. I only visit the forums every now and then.
lukaszthegreat: Where do you shop?

Gog is losing a lot of money. That's helluva depressing.
I haven't bought any digital games after I started my boycott. No, actually I have bought two digital games, Devotion and Detention (both with soundtracks) from the publisher's own site.

I got enough backlog to last me few decades I suppose. Over 1k games that I have never even downloaded, so before my boycott I was just giving money to GOG and not taking much, if anything at all in return. I am not sad that GOG is losing money now, would be slightly worrisome if they would go out of business since I paid to them to store my games and I would have to download and keep all the things I have bought from GOG on my own machines.

I have been adding PS1 and Gamecube games into my collection. Bad time to be doing it since covid has made everyone do that and prices have gone up. Digital games would be cheaper, but no interest in buying a PS5 since no backwards compatibility to PS1 games.

And I have spent more money on other hobbies, books, sports and such.
.Ra: I got a question for people concerned about drm on gog. For games that require galaxy for multiplayer, would you prefer if the games weren't sold at all here? or perhaps sold but multiplayer just doesn't work? just curious, thanks.
Yes.
Well, have fun.
I'm boykotting Steam, but no one seems to care.
.Ra: I got a question for people concerned about drm on gog. For games that require galaxy for multiplayer, would you prefer if the games weren't sold at all here? or perhaps sold but multiplayer just doesn't work? just curious, thanks.
Stop selling them: No. I can live with an online authentification system for multiplayer games.

Would I prefer direct authentification? ... Dunno, for online gaming, it really doesn't matter to me which system is used. But sure, why not

Games with cutout multiplayer and online functions we already have in GOG, liks SR3. Am I happy that the online content was cut or would I prefer to get it via Galaxy? Definitly Galaxy.
At least I would like to get my saved character designs back, I don't care who manages the login for that (offline would be of course better, but again ... the offline emulation only works with Steam, since the whole online component was cut from the game for the GOG release).

I'm also good with 2nd best choices than with no choice at all.
GOG is a good gaming platform for me, I am not here because I want to make a statement.
Post edited September 07, 2021 by neumi5694
Zrevnur: Update: Numbers for Q2 2021 are out - unfortunately they are integrated into 'H1 2021':
Thanks for the update Zrevnur
high rated
I'm not boycotting GOG, but for a long time now I just haven't felt the enthusiasm for GOG that I once had. GOG used to be a driving force in the industry, standing up for their principles/core values and the DRM-free cause and standing against the many other bad practices in the games industry, but more and more GOG themselves have been gradually embracing such practices themselves.

I can't point to any single specific reason, but many smaller (and some not so small) things stacking up over time. Things like:

- Missing updates
- Missing Linux releases
- Lack of community engagement from GOG staff & ignoring/disregarding feedback from the community
- Increasing focus on Galaxy to the detriment of all non-Galaxy users. The entire site is geared to drive people towards Galaxy, and for a while the Galaxy client was even bundled with the offline installers with an opt-out required every single time to avoid installing it making it easy to install by mistake... and then after months of complaints they made two separate installers, with the Galaxy version offered by default & again you had to be careful to select the non-Galaxy version every time you downloaded an installer, before eventually doing away with the Galaxy installers some time later. Which leads to the next thing:
- The sidelining of the offline installers. The very fact that GOG calls them "offline backup installers" now, the delayed & missing updates and the common refrain from GOG support telling people with issues to just use Galaxy whenever there are issues makes it very clear that these are considered second-class/mere afterthoughts and are treated accordingly now. Oh, and then there's preloading: GOG can do (and have done) preloading with the offline installers before, but since Galaxy became a thing that's now another Galaxy-exclusive feature.
- Repeatedly allowing developers to treat GOG users as second-class, even supporting and being apologists for such moves in some cases
- Gradually dropping their so-called "core values" over time, leaving just DRM-free still intact. Or rather, "mostly intact" at this point...
- By far the biggest issue for me personally is the slow but certain dropping of DRM-free as a non-negotiable, core aspect of their service, allowing more DRM'ed elements in games sold here and even going as far as to sell fully DRM encumbered games for the Epic store. Why not just become yet another fucking Steam key seller then?
- Speaking of the Epic deal, GOG subsequently tried to bullshit us about considering "GOG" and "GOG Galaxy" to be two completely different entities. Nobody considers this to be the case (except GOG themselves, apparently)! When you buy stuff from and use GOG everything is designed to push you towards Galaxy, the offline installers are called "backup installers", support directs you to use Galaxy from the get-go if you have any problems etc. so there's a big discrepancy between this claim and what the actual user experience indicates.

And then there was GOG's acquiescence to Chinese censorship over Devotion late last year. This was bad enough by itself but could maybe have been somewhat forgivable if GOG had been more honest and handled it differently; except that GOG then had the gall to lie to us about it and claim that they did it because us "gamers" demanded it! Never in GOG's history have they ever acted that fast or decisively to community complaints about a game or their service; if it was really just us then Devotion would have still been released here anyway and would have been sold here for many months before GOG reacted, like every other time.

I used to buy lots of games here to support GOG and the DRM-free cause; used to buy lots of gift keys and ran GOG key giveaways; used to promote GOG everywhere I could; and I used to regularly write to publishers and developers to try to get more releases here, even going as far as to post physical letters to them.

As it stands now though I haven't bought anything here since November, and I had stopped promoting GOG and contacting publishers/developers for quite some time before then. It's been very disappointing seeing GOG go this way.

Just thought I'd add my thoughts to this thread, perhaps someone from GOG is paying attention to it... I'd really like to see GOG return to focusing on the things that made them great in the first place, but with the direction they're heading I don't have much confidence in anything like that happening.
Post edited September 08, 2021 by adamhm
low rated
Haven't bought a game here in a long while and don't plan to change it. The releases are lame anyway, even the classic games they do put on, are usually laughably overpriced (Diablo, Warcraft or the recent Elite Force - 10 bucks for the same 20+ year old game?)

And their recent turn to wokeness just made them all the more unsympathetic to me. Catering to and celebrating crap ideology's (in my oppinion: mental illnesses) and the chinese is just flat out wrong.

I doubt i'll ever buy another game for gog, unless Kinguin, G2A or others have some cheap keys.
ShadowAngel.207: I doubt i'll ever buy another game for gog, unless Kinguin, G2A or others have some cheap keys.
Announcing your plans to buy GOG keys from an unauthorized reseller is a good idea. GOG will know to check your library for any games that weren't bought here. Well done.
Where are you shopping now for games instead of GOG?
tfishell: Where are you shopping now for games instead of GOG?
Mostly steam and steam key sellers. I'm only interested in client-free games (I have not installed the steam client), but there are thousands upon thousands of such games on steam and they are ridiculously priced ($1 to $1.5 on average), so even if I happen to buy something that is not, it's no big deal. I just delete it (yes, you can actually delete games from your library; amazing, isn't it?) and forget all about it.

The cheaper games (mostly bundles where games cost <$1 apiece) I buy from key sellers (e.g. humble, fanatical, green man, &c.), while the more expensive ones ($5-10 range) I buy from steam, so I can refund it if it requires a client (happened once so far).
Post edited September 09, 2021 by mrkgnao
I don't.
I've only bought "Devotion" and "Detention" from the developers since stopping shopping on GOG. I'm planning to buy on Fire Flower Games next time I want a new game. I've been boycotting Steam since I first found out what it was years ago and won't be going there!
i buy from steam and gog, as well humble bundle

resllers are selling free games as well https://cogconnected.com/2021/09/game-key-resellers-charging-money-free-games/
Zoom Platform is the only store I've been using. I've spent over $100 since the start of the year and discovered some really cool games that I probably wouldn't have otherwise (Curse: Eye of Isis, Namariel Legends: Iron Lord, Two Worlds).

Oh and of course I bought Devotion and Detention from Red Candle as well. I have played Detention (great game) but not yet Devotion.
ebay. Big boxes for the win! (Granted, these are some 20+ years old, but good old games are what this place was originally created for anyway - incidentally, Elite Force was one of the games I bought and it was cheaper than $9.99 and it looks cool on my shelf)

Also, Epic has turned into the better Humble Bundle in recent years: You get 4+ games per month (often more than double that), a decent percentage of those are DRM-free, most of the titles aren't total shovelware (some of them are actually pretty good and there's a decent amount of AAA titles) and best of all: it's free.
fronzelneekburm: ebay. Big boxes for the win! (Granted, these are some 20+ years old, but good old games are what this place was originally created for anyway - incidentally, Elite Force was one of the games I bought and it was cheaper than $9.99 and it looks cool on my shelf)
A person of my own heart