It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
I would like to announce that I have decided to boycott GOG for 2021. This is in response to several decisions the site has made over the past year that I believe have been deeply misguided:

Firstly, the continued slippage of GOG's DRM-free values. The promise of 100% DRM-free is what the site was originally founded on and yet GOG seem to be allowing this principle to be increasingly eroded. The games No Man's Sky and Absolver are two examples of games that include single-player DRM, which GOG is aware of and has failed to address. CDPR also seem to continue to believe the rules on GOG don't apply to their own games, firstly with Gwent and more recently the DRMed single-player rewards built into Cyberpunk. In addition, GOG's recent deal with Epic appears to be a cover for GOG to start selling DRMed games.

Next, the continued heavy pushing of Galaxy and the lack of maintenance of the offline installers. Several times in recent months, GOG has given incentives only to Galaxy users in the form of bonus content or free games. This has the effect of making non-Galaxy users feel like second-class customers. Also, there many well documented cases of GOG neglecting to update offline installers, even though they are updating the Galaxy versions, so they clearly have the updated files. This is not acceptable - offline installers are the core of the DRM-free concept. All of this points to a worrying trend which may ultimately lead to GOG abandoning offline installers entirely and making Galaxy mandatory.

Lastly, the recent debacle with Devotion. I won't repeat everything that has been said about this in other threads, but GOG's decision to be complicit in imposing Chinese censorship on non-Chinese users is simply unacceptable. The game needs to be released on GOG immediately.

Actions I would like to see GOG taking:

1) Release Devotion immediately.
2) Remove Gwent, No Man's Sky, Absolver (and any other DRMed games) from the store.
3) Remove DRM from the bonus cosmetics in Cyberpunk.
4) Cancel the deal with Epic.
5) Stop providing free games/incentives only to Galaxy users.
6) Assign adequate resources to maintenance of the offline installers.

For me to make any purchases on GOG this year, #1 needs to happen and at least a couple of the others. I.e. I want to see clear signs of a change in trajectory of the site, away from it's current misguided direction towards being a weak Steam competitor and back towards the principles it was founded on. I had been planning to spend $150-200 on GOG this year, but instead I will be spending that at Zoom Platform, to help build up a viable DRM-free alternative store.

Is anyone else intending to boycott GOG? Who is with me?

Edit:

People who are boycotting, to whatever degree they're comfortable with:
1) Time4Tea
2) Lifthrasil
3) mrkgnao
4) joppo
5) kdgog
6) Ancient-Red-Dragon
7) ReynardFox
8) Seceroth
9) TencentInvestor
10) pearnon
11) Leevi
12) gloombandit
13) fronzelneekburm
14) MajicMan
15) Chaossaturn
16) john_hatcher
17) Grahor
18) Orkhepaj
19) rjbuffchix
20) B1tF1ghter
21) _Auster_
22) HappyPunkPotato
23) llamas
24) rtcvb32
25) Setilla
26) fr33kSh0w2012
27) Hexchild
28) GreasyDogMeat
29) GlorFindel
30) Vendor-Lazarus
31) DevotedTitan
32) Zegpi
33) gargus
34) DrearierSpider
35) WeirdoGeek
36) Zorzy
37) Kohleran
38) plagren
39) Lesser Blight Elemental
40) Captainchicken84
41) dycaite
42) Amiko Novich
43) gloombandit
44) Agent-94
45) evilprotoss
46) TrueBlueGamer
47) faldofas
48) kaileena
49) ShadowXOR
50) Adoru
51) g00dbye
52) LordJF
53) nevasith
54) TormentFan
55) ApeKing
56) Dalswyn
57) aiMute
58) lazydog
59) Shendue
60) classic-gamer
61) nevasith
62) ResidentLeever
63) nightcraw1er.488
64) DesmondOC

People who are sympathetic to the concept:
1) Breja
2) TerriblePurpose
3) morolf
4) DukeNukemForever
5) McMicroDonalds
6) WinterSnowfall
7) flanner
8) Dogmaus
9) GamezRanker
10) PirroEpirote
11) Paliper
12) W3irdN3rd
13) FiatLux
14) MasterW
15) InSaintMonoxide
16) Jorev
17) TheDcoder
18) shih1976

(current as of post #774)
Post edited 28 minutes ago by Time4Tea
low rated
Nope.
high rated
Time4Tea: Is anyone else intending to boycott GOG? Who is with me?
I can certainly see why someone would choose to do so. I'm not going to boycott them, however, as long as they still offer DRM-free offline installers with no mandatory clients. That being said, I've long since stopped my "I'm not sure if I'll have time to play this game, but let me buy it here to support GOG" behavior, mostly because of the concerns you've also highlighted.
Time4Tea: 6) Assign adequate resources to maintenance of the offline installers.
I doubt anything is going to come out of this, of course, in terms of GOG doing anything to address your concerns, but just as a guideline on how to approach things in general, you probably need to define a metric here and be more specific. As far as we know, what is currently in place is already considered "adequate" by GOG.
Time4Tea: I want to see clear signs of a change in trajectory of the site, away from it's current misguided direction towards being a weak Steam competitor and back towards the principles it was founded on.
Its goals are more likely to become "a store to rule all stores", by using Galaxy as a gateway to unify all your games, regardless of their source, under a single client. I see why someone would think this idea has merit, perhaps it even does have merit in the grand scheme of things of gaining market share, it's just some of us don't care much for clients of any sort. And that's one of the main reasons we are buying games here.

Regardless of our preferences, it can't be denied that the majority of GOG's resources are being invested in pursuing this goal.
Post edited January 05, 2021 by WinterSnowfall
low rated
nah
high rated
Just be careful with Zoom platform, it is like GOG a company and companies will in the end do what's best for business so they would also eventually do what is best to make the business grow.

Humble Bundle is an example as at first they were heavily into DRM free games and bundles, today they are much much bigger but now most released games and bundles are Steam Key exclusives with DRM free being a rare commodity.
high rated
You have quite a point but, as a gamer that wants to buy and play games, I'll still stay with "the lesser evil" aka GOG...

I might anyway try to purchase more things on itch.io instead of here, but I won't boycott what currently is the best option for a store, despite its downfall.

Good riddance! And let's wish at least some of your claims are listened.
low rated
Good Luck boycotting GOG yourself.
WinterSnowfall: I can certainly see why someone would chose to do so. I'm not going to boycott them, however, as long as they still offer DRM-free offline installers with no mandatory clients. That being said, I've long since stopped my "I'm not sure if I'll have time to play this game, but let me buy it here to support GOG" behavior, mostly because of the concerns you've also highlighted.
At the start of 2020, I was taking the position that I would ignore sales and buy games at full price to support GOG. To say they have 'lost my goodwill' would be quite an understatement.
Time4Tea: 6) Assign adequate resources to maintenance of the offline installers.
WinterSnowfall: I doubt anything is going to come out of this, of course, in terms of GOG doing anything to address your concerns, but just as a guideline on how to approach things in general, you probably need to define a metric here and be more specific. As far as we know, what is currently in place is already considered "adequate" by GOG.
That one is a bit hand-wavy, I agree. I guess I would like to at least see some progress with the backlog of offline installers being brought into line with the Galaxy versions.
wolfsite: Just be careful with Zoom platform, it is like GOG a company and companies will in the end do what's best for business so they would also eventually do what is best to make the business grow.
I think the problems generally start when companies go public, as opposed to 'companies' more generally. Anyone I buy games from over the internet is unavoidably going to be a 'company'. I am inclined to give ZP the benefit of the doubt, given they haven't done anything to betray my trust.
low rated
Nope. So when u posting a "Im leaving GOG..." thread?
low rated
See ya. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
It's your opinion, so you should do what you think is right. But we really do not need yet another thread about the same thing.

On the other hand, I like GOG and I am patiently awaiting for them to release all 4 RHEM games and Axiom Verge so that I can replay them all :)
Niggles: Nope. So when u posting a "Im leaving GOG..." thread?
I'm not going to leave, but I am going to boycott for this year. I will continue to hang around in the forum, as there are some interesting discussions going on. I will reassess at the end of 2021, depending on what happens over the course of the year.
low rated
Nope not gpoing to stop buying games in 2021.

Also if you are going to stop buying games here on principle then you need to stop buying from Origin, Uplay , Bethesda, Epic as these companies have done just as much or if not worse than what has happened here.
Time4Tea: That one is a bit hand-wavy, I agree. I guess I would like to at least see some progress with the backlog of offline installers being brought into line with the Galaxy versions.
I'm tracking the discrepancies and all I can say is that it's gotten somewhat better these last months, but some older issues are still not solved. It may very well be developers at fault there, not sure. My point being, don't grab any pitchforks just yet, it (genuinely) seems they are trying to improve on this point.
Post edited January 05, 2021 by WinterSnowfall
high rated
Time4Tea: I want to see clear signs of a change in trajectory of the site, away from it's current misguided direction towards being a weak Steam competitor and back towards the principles it was founded on.
WinterSnowfall: Its goals are more likely to become "a store to rule all stores", by using Galaxy as a gateway to unify all your games, regardless of their source, under a single client. I see why someone would think this idea has merit, perhaps it even does have merit in the grand scheme of things of gaining market share, it's just some of us don't care much for clients of any sort. And that's one of the main reasons we are buying games here.

Regardless of our preferences, it can't be denied that the majority of GOG's resources are being invested in pursuing this goal.
Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with the existence of the Galaxy client, for those that want it. What I do have a problem with though is the continued heavy incentivizing; the neglect of the offline installers and of course if there are ever any moves to try to make Galaxy mandatory. I also dislike the fact that GOG are pouring such a huge proportion of their resources into it and neglecting, for example, the website.