It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

mrkgnao: So multiply each number by 260 to get USD amount.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: So are you saying that GOG lost $669,760 USD in Q2 2021?
I'm not saying it. CD Projekt is saying it.
But, yes, that's the amount lost.
Post edited September 07, 2021 by mrkgnao
Leevi: Edit: And my boycott of GOG has gone well, no money spent on GOG and haven't even bothered visiting the store. I only visit the forums every now and then.
Where do you shop?

Gog is losing a lot of money. That's helluva depressing.
mrkgnao: I'm not saying it. CD Projekt is saying it.
Oh my, that's quite dire!

I don't know how to feel about that.

On the one hand, GOG deserves it for banning Devotion and then lying about the reason, and for allowing DRM-creep onto its store, and for making a deal to sell EGS-DRM'ed games.

On the other hand, it would really suck if GOG goes bankrupt. That would put a lot of people's libraries in jeopardy (I'm sure most customers don't backup every game they have).

And GOG going bankrupt would also make DRM-free options for a decent selection of good games become almost non-existent.
Post edited September 07, 2021 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
mrkgnao: I'm not saying it. CD Projekt is saying it.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: Oh my, that's quite dire!

I don't know how to feel about that.

On the one hand, GOG deserves it for banning Devotion and then lying about the reason, and for allowing DRM-creep onto its store, and for making a deal to sell EGS-DRM'ed games.

On the other hand, it would really suck if GOG goes bankrupt. That would put a lot of people's libraries in jeopardy (I'm sure most customers don't backup every game they have).

And GOG going bankrupt would also make DRM-free options for a decent selection of good games become almost non-existent.
You need to take things in perspective.

While GOG had a loss of more than 1 million dollars in H1 2021 (easier to calculate than Q2), CD PROJEKT RED had a profit of more than 28 million dollars during the same period. So it's not all doom and gloom back in Warsaw.

That said, by looking at the numbers for H1, it appears that it costs GOG more money to sell a game than the profit it makes off it. Which means that they will need to cut on some expenditure (which has risen significantly in comparison to H1 2020), since I don't think they can increase their profit margin (30% of the sale, I believe). Whatever they decide to cut will probably be painful.
I got a question for people concerned about drm on gog. For games that require galaxy for multiplayer, would you prefer if the games weren't sold at all here? or perhaps sold but multiplayer just doesn't work? just curious, thanks.
low rated
mrkgnao: Which means that they will need to cut on some expenditure (which has risen significantly in comparison to H1 2020), since I don't think they can increase their profit margin (30% of the sale, I believe). Whatever they decide to cut will probably be painful.
They could always cut "curation." Then nothing of value would be lost, they'd save a lot of money, and the store would be way better for having no "curation."

But that would be a good idea, and GOG historically usually only implements bad ideas, not good ones. So I doubt they would cut curation, even though they should.
Post edited September 07, 2021 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
Pangaea666: I hope more people are taking backup of your games/installers, because they may not remain DRM Free.
bump this occasionally
mrkgnao: Which means that they will need to cut on some expenditure (which has risen significantly in comparison to H1 2020), since I don't think they can increase their profit margin (30% of the sale, I believe). Whatever they decide to cut will probably be painful.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: They could always cut "curation." Then nothing of value would be lost, they'd save a lot of money, and the store would be way better for having no "curation."

But that would be a good idea, and GOG historically usually only implements bad ideas, not good ones. So I doubt they would cut curation, even though they should.
I don't see how cutting curation will reduce expenditure.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: On the other hand, it would really suck if GOG goes bankrupt. That would put a lot of people's libraries in jeopardy (I'm sure most customers don't backup every game they have).
If they are at risk of going bankrupt, then they need to start listening to, rather than ignoring their customers. And of course, remember the key factors that have made them successful in the first place.

mrkgnao: That said, by looking at the numbers for H1, it appears that it costs GOG more money to sell a game than the profit it makes off it. Which means that they will need to cut on some expenditure (which has risen significantly in comparison to H1 2020), since I don't think they can increase their profit margin (30% of the sale, I believe). Whatever they decide to cut will probably be painful.
They will need to make cuts to Galaxy then, since it's the only thing they ever seem to spend any money on.

.Ra: I got a question for people concerned about drm on gog. For games that require galaxy for multiplayer, would you prefer if the games weren't sold at all here? or perhaps sold but multiplayer just doesn't work? just curious, thanks.
Requiring a client for multiplayer is a form of DRM, which goes against GOG's founding principles. My personal preference would be for those games to be fixed so that the MP doesn't require Galaxy. If that can't be done, then I would like to see either the MP portion stripped out or those games removed.
low rated
mrkgnao: I don't see how cutting curation will reduce expenditure.
Because they wouldn't be paying their employees money in exchange for wasting time by performing a useless duty.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: On the other hand, it would really suck if GOG goes bankrupt. That would put a lot of people's libraries in jeopardy (I'm sure most customers don't backup every game they have).
Time4Tea: If they are at risk of going bankrupt, then they need to start listening to, rather than ignoring their customers. And of course, remember the key factors that have made them successful in the first place.

mrkgnao: That said, by looking at the numbers for H1, it appears that it costs GOG more money to sell a game than the profit it makes off it. Which means that they will need to cut on some expenditure (which has risen significantly in comparison to H1 2020), since I don't think they can increase their profit margin (30% of the sale, I believe). Whatever they decide to cut will probably be painful.
Time4Tea: They will need to make cuts to Galaxy then, since it's the only thing they ever seem to spend any money on.

.Ra: I got a question for people concerned about drm on gog. For games that require galaxy for multiplayer, would you prefer if the games weren't sold at all here? or perhaps sold but multiplayer just doesn't work? just curious, thanks.
Time4Tea: Requiring a client for multiplayer is a form of DRM, which goes against GOG's founding principles. My personal preference would be for those games to be fixed so that the MP doesn't require Galaxy. If that can't be done, then I would like to see either the MP portion stripped out or those games removed.
Not requiring a client for mp is ideal but I doubt that is realistic since I'd imagine additional resources and time would be required, and the developer would have to do it. If gog could do it then I can imagine a possible scenario but that isnt the case. Not sure if the mp would need to be stripped out, maybe it just doesn't work. We probably got some games from back then where the servers got taken out and you cant play online so that is kind of the equivalent of that.
low rated
.Ra: Not requiring a client for mp is ideal but I doubt that is realistic since I'd imagine additional resources and time would be required, and the developer would have to do it. If gog could do it then I can imagine a possible scenario but that isnt the case. Not sure if the mp would need to be stripped out, maybe it just doesn't work. We probably got some games from back then where the servers got taken out and you cant play online so that is kind of the equivalent of that.
XCOM: Enemy Unknown is one example of a game that has MP stripped out for GOG, so it has been done.
I probably wouldn't buy it anyway, as the developer has been lazy in not implementing clientless MP. But, it's still a preferable option to selling it with DRMed MP.
To be honest, the lack of mp is a drawback for me and that's why I had to buy some games on Steam. I don't like Galaxy either, but releasing butchered versions is not the solution.

If that's the future, I will most likely leave this site for good.
Pyromancer138: To be honest, the lack of mp is a drawback for me and that's why I had to buy some games on Steam. I don't like Galaxy either, but releasing butchered versions is not the solution.

If that's the future, I will most likely leave this site for good.
yea, at least there are indie games that have drm free multiplayer. I noticed they usually are the one's who let users create servers,etc
low rated
Time4Tea: They will need to make cuts to Galaxy then, since it's the only thing they ever seem to spend any money on.
If I were to guess, I would say that most of the money probably goes on ongoing expenses, namely salaries for all employees (of which galaxy developers and game curators, I would expect, are a small minority), server space, etc..