It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

joppo: Really? I have evidence that contradicts your statement.
Time4Tea: Good link. I totally disagree with amok as well. There are plenty of examples where sustained pressure by many individuals acting together can achieve results.

According to amok, those protesting womens suffrage in the early 1900s should have held one protest and then gone home. Amnesty International only need to write one letter to complain about human rights violations. I'll go and let them know, it will save them a lot of effort.
And Martin Luther King was a fool for organizing a bus boycott that took 381 days, when all he needed is to raise a plaque and picket alone in front of some administrative office for a day, because that is how you get those in power to listen.

No, wait. Going by those that claim we should just delete our accounts and leave the forum, it's obvious that Rosa Parks should just have stopped using the bus herself and not tell anyone. That would totally end the racism she was being a victim of. Right?
Post edited January 06, 2021 by joppo
Just a heads up to everyone to keep it civil and not to dive into political discussion as to not get the thread locked.
amok:
mrkgnao: - Please continue posting. I enjoy your views. Seriously. Plus it helps keep this thread highly visible, which is a nice bonus.
I agree. I may not think like you amok, but I see you don't disagree with me or other people for the sake of being contrarian, but because you believe your points. So I much rather have them discussed than not.
Damn it GOG, why couldn't you have your psychological horror games sale before I stopped buying here? :-D
HappyPunkPotato: Damn it GOG, why couldn't you have your psychological horror games sale before I stopped buying here? :-D
Perhaps you might want to post which games you would have bought were you not boycotting? As a kind of catharsis and to help gauge the effect of the boycott.
HappyPunkPotato: Damn it GOG, why couldn't you have your psychological horror games sale before I stopped buying here? :-D
mrkgnao: Perhaps you might want to post which games you would have bought were you not boycotting? As a kind of catharsis and to help gauge the effect of the boycott.
Well, I for one, if GOG wouldn't be on a steady downslope of "race to the abyss", well I would buy for example Control sooner or later.
Because it is an awesome game. And I would likely buy it here instead of Steam (I don't have much against Steam personally, I see both their positives and negatives, plus I talked to some people from Valve in the past to make the platform better, they don't do everything perfectly and there are certainly things that I want them to change, but I don't see Valve and Steam as bad platform and people).
But unfortunatelly 2 things happened:
- GOG becoming a part of "race to the abyss"
- I realized that GOG in fact does not really allow access to non-current versions of games for like 90+ % of games here, let alone versions released elsewhere before a game was released on GOG. That is a huge deal breaker for speedrunning a major amount of games.
On Steam I can just pull out console, specify manifests and download wanted depots. On GOG I can not.
So for 2 of these reasons I plan to not buy Control here (even tho I previously DID plan) and instead buy it elsewhere (EGS is a huge eternal NO for me, so on Steam).

I also canceled my plans to duplicate these (I already have these on Steam):
- Dishonored series
- Prey
- Batman series
- Evil Within series

The SOLE REASON I am on this platform is because they claimed to be 100% DRM-free store-wide.
I made quite some duplicate purchases here (Metro series, Bioshock series, Hitman series) and bought some things here instead of Steam, even if it meant higher cost, just because I wanted true DRM-free.
Now since that was apparently a lie all along I have close to no incentive whatsoever to buy anything here.
I most certainly would NEVER support CH gov directly or indirectly so I don't want to support a business that does that, especially so obscenely obviously like GOG.
mrkgnao: Perhaps you might want to post which games you would have bought were you not boycotting? As a kind of catharsis and to help gauge the effect of the boycott.
Thought about it but I don't want to look through what's there and feel disappointed that I'm not getting any.
"Sally Face" was on an email from IsThereAnyDeal though and my first thought was "Ooh I'll get that" before I remembered!
amok: ... there are brands I do not touch, for my own reasons. However, as it is just my own personal integrity, and me living with myself, it is not something I would shout from the roof tops, nor start any threads on forums about them, it is something personally to me.
Same here, and that list is pretty long by now, and sometimes severely limits my options. And compared to what those companies did... I feel getting riled up about GOG is like shaking fists at a pebble, when a whole mountain comes down on you.
Also I'm aware that my boycott is like a drop missing the ocean and I'm doing it just for myself and my own conscience. The list of crimes of those companies is so long and even well documented, and they still are extremely successful and they are raking in money by the billions - because nobody really gives a damn fuck.
Nope.

But I am on a strict China boycott now.
low rated
B1tF1ghter: I most certainly would NEVER support CH gov directly or indirectly so I don't want to support a business that does that, especially so obscenely obviously like GOG.
You do realize that Steam was supporting China long before the whole Devotion incident ? yet you don't seem to have issue purchasing there.
low rated
_ChaosFox_: But I am on a strict China boycott now.
I imagine that's pretty hard (and sometimes expensive) to do. Good luck, this is the right way, also because of the companies that closed their factories in their homelands to profit from cheap Chinese labour and less strict environmental laws.
low rated
B1tF1ghter: I most certainly would NEVER support CH gov directly or indirectly so I don't want to support a business that does that, especially so obscenely obviously like GOG.
Gersen: You do realize that Steam was supporting China long before the whole Devotion incident ? yet you don't seem to have issue purchasing there.
Please, enlighten me how allegedly Steam was bending for CCP at allegedly some point.
Because both as a HIGHLY technical user as well a person involved in gamedev I KNOW for a fact that Steam, if CH has some "issues" with some games, just does not release the game there while retaining international release.
I don't see how this is supporting CH.
And btw, PLEASE read my post again, I did NOT say "I have no issue buying there" - I pretty clearly stated that there ARE things I don't like there - but I don't see that platform nor company responsible as bad.
Don't compare Steam to GOG directly in this situation because there is quite a difference between them.
GOG here pretends to not be involved in CH.
They also refuse to make official statement, they are refusing to fullfill a contract with a developer based on non-proven "gamers feedback" - they refuse to release a proof - plus what they released as alleged reason doesn't hold up since the content in question was removed long ago.
Steam did not lie about being DRMed store. While GOG openly lies to our faces (remember, they have clear marketing stating that EVERYTHING on GOG is 100% DRM-free, which is a LIE, thus this is false advertising).
The situation of Steam is nothing like the situation of GOG.

And I am not defending either.
Both are doing some things wrong.
But Valve isn't openly lying into our faces about things such as DRM.
While GOG clearly does.
I clearly see flaws of Steam - to the point where I got involved through feedback enough to force them to change some things.
Meanwhile majority of my feedback towards GOG gets ignored.
B1tF1ghter: Please, enlighten me how allegedly Steam was bending for CCP at allegedly some point.
You said :
I most certainly would NEVER support CH gov directly or indirectly so I don't want to support a business that does that,
And Steam is working hand in hand with Chinese government to create a Chinese version of Steam, where all games there will have to pay the Chinese license fee, be approved and censored by the government, so how it all this not directly or indirectly supporting the Chinese government ?

B1tF1ghter: GOG here pretends to not be involved in CH.
Where exactly ?
B1tF1ghter: Please, enlighten me how allegedly Steam was bending for CCP at allegedly some point.
Gersen: You said :

I most certainly would NEVER support CH gov directly or indirectly so I don't want to support a business that does that,
Gersen: And Steam is working hand in hand with Chinese government to create a Chinese version of Steam, where all games there will have to pay the Chinese license fee, be approved and censored by the government, so how it all this not directly or indirectly supporting the Chinese government ?
You are being highly annoying in your ignorance...
But as an exception I will respond:
YES, Steam is going to do exactly that - create a seperate version, a CH sandbox platform if you will, a special walled in garden specificly for CH where CH gov can do their BS should they want to, while retaining international Steam version independence.
That is most certainly better than what GOG does - GOG currently turns into "CH told us so we did" platform right in our sight.
GOG, if you need reminder, refused to release Devotion because a bunch of angry "who-knows-who" from CH stormed their communication channel during ONE day (which IS a spam by definition) and GOG bend to the request - GOG refused to release the game internationally even tho region blocking CH release would have sufficed and that's what Steam does ALL THE TIME.
If you still fail to understand my point, I'm sorry but I'm out of patience atm so I will not continue overexplaining it, I will let others do so if needed.

Gersen: Where exactly ?
Are you for real?
Did you perhaps fail to notice that GOG pretends WE are not here? That they are pretending to not see their own forum?
That they arbitrarily fortified themselves with ignorance plates build out of baseless claims with no official proof?
Not making a statement is also a choice. They ARE pretending to not see this whole debacle.
你好!

They are "pretending" more not to be involved in the spanish-speaking world IMHO.
Post edited January 06, 2021 by WinterSnowfall