It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Time4Tea: Some people seem to be allergic to any challenge to the status-quo (especially if it involves them having to do something that is (gasp!) inconvenient).
Yes. The ubiquitous excuse is: "Oh, a single person can't do anything about it anyhow. So I might as well just do nothing. It's just the way things are now."

But in my opinion, each person can only affect what they do themselves. That's why I try to do what feels right for me. Even if I, alone, can't change anything. Many single persons can change things. But even if the group of persons who want to do something for a desired change (in this case, GOG returning to being a DRM-free store) is too small to be effective, I still have the peace of mind that I don't support a business decision that goes against the reason I came here in the first place.

M3troid: But that's not the case of GWENT. It was never marketed as DRM Free. It's just another free cash grab.
I actually agree with this distinction. I hate GWENT and it shouldn't be present in a store that tries to market itself as pro-consumer. But at least GOG never pretended that GWENT is anything but a DRM-ed, micro-transaction based money printing machine.

I won't touch it with a 10-foot pole and I even decided against Thronebreaker, because it was too strongly used as GWENT-pushing vehicle, but I do see the difference between openly abandoning DRM-free for multiplayer and sneakily abandoning it step by step for single-player.

And the 'many gamers' excuse for following the CCP political guidelines is just a sad and insultingly transparent lie. That is an entire different quality from openly admitting to a change in policy.
Post edited January 06, 2021 by Lifthrasil
low rated
Time4Tea: Some people seem to be allergic to any challenge to the status-quo (especially if it involves them having to do something that is (gasp!) inconvenient).
Lifthrasil: Yes. The ubiquitous excuse is: "Oh, a single person can't do anything about it anyhow. So I might as well just do nothing. It's just the way things are now."
[...]
no, it has always been about groups of people. The question is "do i think my group of people is larger than the other group of people"? It is a numbers game
high rated
Lifthrasil: Yes. The ubiquitous excuse is: "Oh, a single person can't do anything about it anyhow. So I might as well just do nothing. It's just the way things are now."
[...]
amok: no, it has always been about groups of people. The question is "do i think my group of people is larger than the other group of people"? It is a numbers game
Perhaps for you. I have no illusions that this boycott will change nothing, except my own feeling about myself. This thread, for me, is a support group for like-minded people who would like to boycott GOG for its recent practices and find it easier to do so in a group.

There are dozens of "games/books/movies finished in 20xx" threads on this forum. Are they all spamming the forum? Of course not. They are small clubs of people who want to share the same activity. Same here. Perhaps someone should start a "Games not bought in 2021" to record the activities of this group.
low rated
amok: no, it has always been about groups of people. The question is "do i think my group of people is larger than the other group of people"? It is a numbers game
mrkgnao: Perhaps for you. I have no illusions that this boycott will change nothing, except my own feeling about myself. This thread, for me, is a support group for like-minded people who would like to boycott GOG for its recent practices and find it easier to do so in a group.

There are dozens of "games/books/movies finished in 20xx" threads on this forum. Are they all spamming the forum? Of course not. They are small clubs of people who want to share the same activity. Same here. Perhaps someone should start a "Games not bought in 2021" to record the activities of this group.
aye, yes. that is something else. as long as you have no illisions about wheter you can change anything, but rather it is about your own integrity, then it is something I can respect. I do that myself, there are brands I do not touch, for my own reasons. However, as it is just my own personal integrity, and me living with myself, it is not something I would shout from the roof tops, nor start any threads on forums about them, it is something personally to me.

edit - about "games not bought", I don't see the value of it. There are many games I will not buy this year, due to time, cost, not being intersted and so on. It is an impossible variable
Post edited January 06, 2021 by amok
mrkgnao: Perhaps for you. I have no illusions that this boycott will change nothing, except my own feeling about myself. This thread, for me, is a support group for like-minded people who would like to boycott GOG for its recent practices and find it easier to do so in a group.

amok: aye, yes. that is something else. as long as you have no illisions about wheter you can change anything, but rather it is about your own integrity, then it is something I can respect. I do that myself, there are brands I do not touch, for my own reasons. However, as it is just my own personal integrity, and me living with myself, it is not something I would shout from the roof tops, nor start any threads on forums about them, it is something personally to me.
You are obviously a stronger person than I am. I need the help of others to stop buying here.
low rated
amok: aye, yes. that is something else. as long as you have no illisions about wheter you can change anything, but rather it is about your own integrity, then it is something I can respect. I do that myself, there are brands I do not touch, for my own reasons. However, as it is just my own personal integrity, and me living with myself, it is not something I would shout from the roof tops, nor start any threads on forums about them, it is something personally to me.
mrkgnao: You are obviously a stronger person than I am. I need the help of others to stop buying here.
then I question if it is so imprtant to you? if there is something that is important to your core self, then it should not be difficult. You have a moral compass, and there are boundaries and important issues you will not cross. I assume you would not have this difficulty if it was about DRM? It would be easiere to stop gOg then?

edit - so maybe a question about wheter this is an issue you really care about, or if it is something you think you should care about?
ReynardFox: A problem doesn't stop being a problem just because people like you are sick of hearing about it.
amok: there is also just so many times you can hear about it before you start getting sick of it. it is not like repeating the same thing ad infinitum is suddenely going to make you "oh yaah!". I got it the first time, thank you, no need to repate it again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again. The only thing you achive is that you may alienate rather then convince. Nagging is possibly another good word, it just turns out annoying.

spaming has never helped a cause, the feeling it is more likely to leave in someone is "oh god, not again" rather then "i can get behind this"
Really? I have evidence that contradicts your statement.
low rated
amok: there is also just so many times you can hear about it before you start getting sick of it. it is not like repeating the same thing ad infinitum is suddenely going to make you "oh yaah!". I got it the first time, thank you, no need to repate it again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again. The only thing you achive is that you may alienate rather then convince. Nagging is possibly another good word, it just turns out annoying.

spaming has never helped a cause, the feeling it is more likely to leave in someone is "oh god, not again" rather then "i can get behind this"
joppo: Really? I have evidence that contradicts your statement.
aye, one thread. Please follow this example
high rated

Good link. I totally disagree with amok as well. There are plenty of examples where sustained pressure by many individuals acting together can achieve results.

According to amok, those protesting womens suffrage in the early 1900s should have held one protest and then gone home. Amnesty International only need to write one letter to complain about human rights violations. I'll go and let them know, it will save them a lot of effort.
high rated
Time4Tea: Is anyone else intending to boycott GOG? Who is with me?
You can count me in.

As for the vegan analogy someone mentioned, if I was shopping somewhere despite them having less choice and higher prices just because they claimed they were totally pro-vegan and against meat then they started sneaking animal products into some of their food without really mentioning it then yes, I definitely would stop shopping there!

Edit: I'm also glad Time4Tea started this thread because I was curious how many other people were not buying anything.
Post edited January 06, 2021 by HappyPunkPotato
high rated
mrkgnao: You are obviously a stronger person than I am. I need the help of others to stop buying here.
amok: then I question if it is so imprtant to you? if there is something that is important to your core self, then it should not be difficult. You have a moral compass, and there are boundaries and important issues you will not cross. I assume you would not have this difficulty if it was about DRM? It would be easiere to stop gOg then?

edit - so maybe a question about wheter this is an issue you really care about, or if it is something you think you should care about?
Have you ever met people who said "I really want to stop smoking. I hate myself for smoking, but I just can't quit"? Was your impression of them that stopping smoking was not important to them?
Time4Tea: I would like to announce that I have decided to boycott GOG for 2021.
And how will GOG realize you are boycotting them?

This is mostly a bad joke from my part but you seem to have been boycotting GOG all along from the moment you joined.

P.S. I do agree with some of the points you've made.
low rated
amok: then I question if it is so imprtant to you? if there is something that is important to your core self, then it should not be difficult. You have a moral compass, and there are boundaries and important issues you will not cross. I assume you would not have this difficulty if it was about DRM? It would be easiere to stop gOg then?

mrkgnao: Have you ever met people who said "I really want to stop smoking. I hate myself for smoking, but I just can't quit"? Was your impression of them that stopping smoking was not important to them?
hmm... no... but with a strong insetives it helps you. There are many reasons why it is difficult to stop smoking. but before then, I have two stories. My father got told by the doctor that he had to stop smoking, or he had 6 months left to live. He stopped on the day, lived almost 10 more years. My wife smoked before we got together, but she knew about my father, and that I had asthma as a child, When we got together, she stopped smoking, two weeks before we moved together. I never asked her to stop, she did it becuase she wanted to. The problem that many have for stoppin smoking is that while intellectually they know it is wrong, emotinally they do not (this may be your problem here?), and we as humans act more on emtonal level rather than intelectual level, intelect often comes later to ratinalise our actions. So yes, of you know intelectualy that you should stop smoking it is difficult, and yes this is where help from others can be important to overcome smoking. Now, there are two major problems using smoking as an analofy here, as it is firstly damaging to you healt, and it is addicitve (argably gaming is neither...or is ir???), so straight away there are issues between the two. However, the main point is that it is much easier to stop smoking if you have a clear reason to that you feel for, that belongs to you, rather then just "oh, I should stop smoking".

Time4Tea: Good link. I totally disagree with amok as well. There are plenty of examples where sustained pressure by many individuals acting together can achieve results.

According to amok, those protesting womens suffrage in the early 1900s should have held one protest and then gone home. Amnesty International only need to write one letter to complain about human rights violations. I'll go and let them know, it will save them a lot of effort.
the main point, and this is the main point I have been saying - they did not spam! so yes, I beg of you, please do the same as this person in this thread have done, please.

edit - oh, and I would cheer on your protest march, and please do send 1000'nds of letters to gOg... but do you need to create yet another thread about it?

edit 2 - hehe, and I am not even mentioning comparing not selling a game to womans suffarage and imprisionment and torture of people. I expect to be compared to Hitler in the next post, or I will be very disapointed.
low rated
I have felt bad about supporting CDP after learning about their transphobic marketing around Cyberpunk 2077, but the Devotion incident pushed me over the edge.

It says my last purchase was on December 1st 2020 so I will also stop buying games on GOG for one year or until December 2021.

I will likely still claim free games, but I won't be making any purchases here until then.

I will focus on playing my backlog and buying games from itch.io when possible.

I know that GOG no longer reads the forums, but I hope they do listen to the criticisms and start to do better.
mrkgnao: Have you ever met people who said "I really want to stop smoking. I hate myself for smoking, but I just can't quit"? Was your impression of them that stopping smoking was not important to them?
amok: hmm... no... but with a strong insetives it helps you. There are many reasons why it is difficult to stop smoking. but before then, I have two stories. My father got told by the doctor that he had to stop smoking, or he had 6 months left to live. He stopped on the day, lived almost 10 more years. My wife smoked before we got together, but she knew about my father, and that I had asthma as a child, When we got together, she stopped smoking, two weeks before we moved together. I never asked her to stop, she did it becuase she wanted to. The problem that many have for stoppin smoking is that while intellectually they know it is wrong, emotinally they do not (this may be your problem here?), and we as humans act more on emtonal level rather than intelectual level, intelect often comes later to ratinalise our actions. So yes, of you know intelectualy that you should stop smoking it is difficult, and yes this is where help from others can be important to overcome smoking. Now, there are two major problems using smoking as an analofy here, as it is firstly damaging to you healt, and it is addicitve (argably gaming is neither...or is ir???), so straight away there are issues between the two. However, the main point is that it is much easier to stop smoking if you have a clear reason to that you feel for, that belongs to you, rather then just "oh, I should stop smoking".
A few short comments, as I need to get back to work:
- You obviously come from a stronger stock than me.
- Buying games is most certainly addictive, and not only for me.
- Please continue posting. I enjoy your views. Seriously. Plus it helps keep this thread highly visible, which is a nice bonus.