It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get a free GOG.com game with your Curse.com premium membership!

[url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank][/url]What a great day to have a curse! [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] premium membership, that is. We've partnered up with the fast-growing gaming network to make their sleek paid accounts offer even more awesome than before. Each premium user--whether they're upgrading their account or already have premium subscription--now gets to pick one of ten games redeemable on GOG.com. That's our way of putting a cherry on top of the already extensive offer, that includes--but is not limited to--unlimited access to a feature-full online gaming client, beta-keys giveaways, and various discounts with selected partners. Here's the list of GOG.com games that [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] premium members can pick from:

Sacred Gold
Gothic 2 Gold Edition
Empire Earth: Gold Edition
Divine Divinity
Dungeon Keeper Gold
Darwinia
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
Puddle
Defender's Quest
Megabyte Punch

As you can see, whether you are a role-player, a strategist, a puzzle-solver, or even a keen tower defender, you'll get something extra for yourself with your current or new premium [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] membership. More info on obtaining the free game can be found in [url=http://www.curse.com/news/curse/49289-curse-premium-membership-now-includes-a-free-game" target="_blank]this Curse.com news article[/url]. This partnership offer remains valid at least until December 31, 2014. We highly recommend [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] services, and hope you'll enjoy your free title!
Sometimes I forget that the companies I like are ultimately just out to make money. Things like this remind me of it. Oh well. Its saddens me, but I can't say that I blame them.
nemesismartyn: Dont like the direction, GOG.COM is heading too :/
Not really the News i like to hear in the beginning of the year
Don't worry, could be worse :-)

This kind of thing could qualify as much worse than what's happening right now:
(old news article)
http://www.gamesradar.com/gogcom-closes-promises-download-solution-for-those-who-purchased-games/
(/old news article)

For that matter you could also say this recent removal of the Fallout games from the catalog is worse than this.
Post edited January 02, 2014 by BillyMaysFan59
Novotnus: :)
:-)
Navagon: Never has so much been read into so little.
Well, you know how it goes.

(ominous signs in the sky)

[A] Nothing to fear! (-1 stability)
It's a sign! (-1 stability)
[C] I don't see nothing. (-1 stability)
[D] You f@#%ing idiots. It's just some seagulls. (-1 stability)
Eh, why? How does this affect us negatively in any way?
trusteft: Eh, why? How does this affect us negatively in any way?
It doesn't hopefully, people are just drama queens. Although that said I know a few people that already hate GOG's guts due to the perception of GOG releasing stuff barely patched and/or broken out of the box.
When this was announced 10 hours ago I went to the site of curse.com and I couldn't tell what they were about and what the partnership was about. Reading the comments now I see I wasn't the only one who didn't get it, but now it's all pretty clear.

I don't think we should read too much into it. It's always good to attract some new people.
jsjrodman: [...] Add to this that Curse hasn't managed their brand well leading to negative associations, and website acquisition can always occur around transitions in style/quality which leads to user annoyance. There's also the invoked fear that as curse has a history of acquiring content sites users are familiar with, that they might be on the way to acquiring GOG (although obviously GOG.com is an ongoing software store business, not a content site, so I have no such concern) . On top of that this announcement doesn't explain what Curse is to users who may not know them already.

That's where all the confusion and worry comes from.
G-Doc: Let's just put this thing straight, here. GOG.com is not for sale. Nor will it be in foreseeable future. There's nothing more to this cross-promotion than it is stated in the news article opening this thread. We're giving away games to Curse.com premium members with the obvious goal of acquiring new users at our part, and sweetening the deal for their paying customers on Curse's. Plain and simple.

It's quite possible you'll be seeing more such offers, with other parties, this year. I sincerely hope you guys won't take it for an omen of upcoming gogmageddon or DRMpocalypse every single time. ;-)
Thanks for that :). And hey, you know when theres stuff like this - you just *know* there will be *some* conspiracy talk :P
Judging by the comments in this thread, this move by GOG has "cursed" us all.

Hope GOG can see the risks in this sort of partnerships, not just for partnering with a company that is not all too DRM friendly, but also in losing a little trust with it's consumers. I'd hate to see GOG turn into something else, or face future problems because of these partnerships.

Sure, I might be exaggerating a bit, but I'm sure you can understand considering how fast DRM is growing and how companies hate the DRM-FREE ideology. And let's not forget how many DRM-FREE sites there currently are...
G-Doc: Let's just put this thing straight, here. GOG.com is not for sale. Nor will it be in foreseeable future. There's nothing more to this cross-promotion than it is stated in the news article opening this thread. We're giving away games to Curse.com premium members with the obvious goal of acquiring new users at our part, and sweetening the deal for their paying customers on Curse's. Plain and simple.

It's quite possible you'll be seeing more such offers, with other parties, this year. I sincerely hope you guys won't take it for an omen of upcoming gogmageddon or DRMpocalypse every single time. ;-)
nijuu: Thanks for that :). And hey, you know when theres stuff like this - you just *know* there will be *some* conspiracy talk :P
Can you name me any other completely DRM-FREE sites similar to GOG?

I'm sure these *few* worried GOG users have a reason to be worried in the first place.
Post edited January 02, 2014 by Krum369
Krum369: Judging by the comments in this thread, this move by GOG has "cursed" us all.

Hope GOG can see the risks in this sort of partnerships, not just for partnering with a company that is not all too DRM friendly, but also in losing a little trust with it's consumers. I'd hate to see GOG turn into something else, or face future problems because of these partnerships.

Sure, I might be exaggerating a bit, but I'm sure you can understand considering how fast DRM is growing and how companies hate the DRM-FREE ideology. And let's not forget how many DRM-FREE sites there currently are...
nijuu: Thanks for that :). And hey, you know when theres stuff like this - you just *know* there will be *some* conspiracy talk :P
Krum369: Can you name me any other completely DRM-FREE sites similar to GOG?

I'm sure these *few* worried GOG users have a reason to be worried in the first place.
How does Curse endorse DRM in any form or shape?
Please explain.
Krum369: Sure, I might be exaggerating a bit,...
Yep
Krum369: ...but I'm sure you can understand...
Nope, not really...

:P
I never cease to be amazed when I read these threads.
spindown: What a horrible night to have a curse.
ISEEWHATYOUDIDTHERE!

+1 internets to you, sir.
Wow, so many paranoiacs in a single thread.
Post edited January 03, 2014 by Fedgit
Curse.com started out as a site for WOW addons/mods, then they decided to charge a premium fee to download mods that people were uploading for free.
Other (and much better) WOW Addon sites allow you to download for free.
Curse.com is aptly named because they are a money hungry sack of crap who can't be trusted.