It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get a free GOG.com game with your Curse.com premium membership!

[url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank][/url]What a great day to have a curse! [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] premium membership, that is. We've partnered up with the fast-growing gaming network to make their sleek paid accounts offer even more awesome than before. Each premium user--whether they're upgrading their account or already have premium subscription--now gets to pick one of ten games redeemable on GOG.com. That's our way of putting a cherry on top of the already extensive offer, that includes--but is not limited to--unlimited access to a feature-full online gaming client, beta-keys giveaways, and various discounts with selected partners. Here's the list of GOG.com games that [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] premium members can pick from:

Sacred Gold
Gothic 2 Gold Edition
Empire Earth: Gold Edition
Divine Divinity
Dungeon Keeper Gold
Darwinia
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
Puddle
Defender's Quest
Megabyte Punch

As you can see, whether you are a role-player, a strategist, a puzzle-solver, or even a keen tower defender, you'll get something extra for yourself with your current or new premium [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] membership. More info on obtaining the free game can be found in [url=http://www.curse.com/news/curse/49289-curse-premium-membership-now-includes-a-free-game" target="_blank]this Curse.com news article[/url]. This partnership offer remains valid at least until December 31, 2014. We highly recommend [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] services, and hope you'll enjoy your free title!
tfishell: You know, it would have been nice if GOG had actually mentioned a year+ ago that they were in partnership in nGlide at one point, but they seemed to keep that pretty hidden, at least here on the forum. An official announcement about that would have been nice, and more exciting to me than this.
nGlide is mentioned here.
stoicsentry: Boy, I must be getting old, because I just looked all through Curse's webpage and I still have no idea what it is all about.
I'm with you - no idea what it is for.
tfishell: You know, it would have been nice if GOG had actually mentioned a year+ ago that they were in partnership in nGlide at one point, but they seemed to keep that pretty hidden, at least here on the forum. An official announcement about that would have been nice, and more exciting to me than this.
Kristian: nGlide is mentioned here
Yes, but there was never an official announcement like this one. I sometimes think GOG might prefer to keep the tools they use secretive.
tfishell: Yes, but there was never an official announcement like this one. I sometimes think GOG might prefer to keep the tools they use secretive.
Has there been any announcement of the tools used at all?
stoicsentry: Boy, I must be getting old, because I just looked all through Curse's webpage and I still have no idea what it is all about.
Well, I've seen a name popping out here and there, mainly in kind of connection with Minecraft, but never had the feeling that it's something big. Looked at their web page few times (looking for nothing in particular, just out of boredom/curiosity), but to be honest, for me it was always so <b>packed</b> with annoying and intrusive advertising and commercials that even with ad-block up and running I feel disgusted by their importunity and, well, immaturity.

Clearly, I'm not the target of their offer and I seriously doubt if I ever will use it for my adavantage. But I welcome every undertaking that could widen the GoG offer and provide more services. Just remember to keep it civil, GoG...
Sogi-Ya: .... completely side unrelated to the topic at hand: my cat just sat on my bluetooth headset and turned it on, like actually sat her but on the power switch hard enough to hold it down for the 5 seconds it takes to turn it on.
This is the most interesting post I read in the whole thread.

Well, it was, until I read this:

mkell_226: Dear GOG,

This displeases me and my overinflated sense of self-importance. In the future, please recognize my place in the
Universe, and restrict all deals, decisions, and front-page announcements to things that affect -and indeed are directed towards- me, and stop wasting time on unimportant triviality such as people who are not me. Surely you must agree that this is the only way to go, as anyone with more than two functioning neurons KNOWS that I, and I alone, am the only thing that really matters in the whole of creation.
dele30: You're the only one who matters in the whole of creation? I think not... That would be me! :)
You both are incorrect - I am the only one that matters! Me, and only me! Anyone who says otherwise is suffering from a cursed brain! :-D

In all seriousness, nothing wrong with GOG doing a little affiliated marketing. Not every move GOG makes to benefit itself has to benefit us GOGers - it just needs to not impact us negatively; as this one meets that requirement, market away!
jackster79: You both are incorrect - I am the only one that matters! Me, and only me! Anyone who says otherwise is suffering from a cursed brain! :-D
You... you... you... dared to ignore me!
Ignored ME, the most important person in the whole Universe!
But, you are a Jack Keane 2 Survivor. So I will forgive you. This time.
:)
Post edited January 02, 2014 by Novotnus
high rated
jsjrodman: [...] Add to this that Curse hasn't managed their brand well leading to negative associations, and website acquisition can always occur around transitions in style/quality which leads to user annoyance. There's also the invoked fear that as curse has a history of acquiring content sites users are familiar with, that they might be on the way to acquiring GOG (although obviously GOG.com is an ongoing software store business, not a content site, so I have no such concern) . On top of that this announcement doesn't explain what Curse is to users who may not know them already.

That's where all the confusion and worry comes from.
Let's just put this thing straight, here. GOG.com is not for sale. Nor will it be in foreseeable future. There's nothing more to this cross-promotion than it is stated in the news article opening this thread. We're giving away games to Curse.com premium members with the obvious goal of acquiring new users at our part, and sweetening the deal for their paying customers on Curse's. Plain and simple.

It's quite possible you'll be seeing more such offers, with other parties, this year. I sincerely hope you guys won't take it for an omen of upcoming gogmageddon or DRMpocalypse every single time. ;-)
Same here, until another member here explained it to me. I couldn't find any about us or mission statement.

Unless it's just blatantly obvious what the site is and what it's about, not having that info conspicuously displayed is usually an indicator to me to be wary of it, or at the very least, that it's unprofessional and not worthy of my time.
G-Doc: It's quite possible you'll be seeing more such offers, with other parties, this year. I sincerely hope you guys won't take it for an omen of upcoming gogmageddon or DRMpocalypse every single time. ;-)
Plenty of hints, brother. Plenty of hints.
G-Doc: Let's just put this thing straight, here. GOG.com is not for sale. Nor will it be in foreseeable future. There's nothing more to this cross-promotion than it is stated in the news article opening this thread. We're giving away games to Curse.com premium members with the obvious goal of acquiring new users at our part, and sweetening the deal for their paying customers on Curse's. Plain and simple.

It's quite possible you'll be seeing more such offers, with other parties, this year. I sincerely hope you guys won't take it for an omen of upcoming gogmageddon or DRMpocalypse every single time. ;-)
Thank you, sir, for properly explaining the situation to everyone here. I hope more people come to realize this.
Well, they got two clicks from me today, trying to figure out exactly what they do! :-)

Ok, I think I get it. They run a site that makes certain gaming-related tasks easier; things that players are capable of doing themselves but maybe don't want to be bothered doing.

The cost doesn't seem to be over-the-top, but it's something I would never utilize.

So maybe it's "semantics", but usually I think of a "partnership" in terms of companies getting together and combining an aspect of the business to create something bigger or unique that offers something to both sides... but this just sounds to me like "Hey, we'll tell them about you if you tell them about us." Not criticizing, just an observational statement. I guess "our" part is that we get to learn about Curse. Ok, I learned. Not interested. :-)
high rated
G-Doc: It's quite possible you'll be seeing more such offers, with other parties, this year. I sincerely hope you guys won't take it for an omen of upcoming gogmageddon or DRMpocalypse every single time. ;-)
Titanium: Plenty of hints, brother. Plenty of hints.
No hints whatsoever. Again, you're looking for things that aren't there. Please don't make us write to you guys in legal-like bullet-points that leave no place for interpretation. That would take the fun out of bluetexting :-(

Also, going back through the thread, I came across this question:

HypersomniacLive: Happy New Year, G-Doc!

If I'm not crossing any lines, how do you (you as in GOG, not necessarily you personally) how do you know that the number of GOG users that are also Curse.com premium subscribers falls is "many"?
Now that I think about it, how do you even know if any GOG users are also Curse.com premium subscribers?
This needs to be answered, because I can see where your suspicions are going. No, we are not cross-referencing our user database with anyone. EVER. This was an educated guess at my part. We have 2 million+ unique users per month on average (now more, after our recent giveaway). How many of these 2+ million play games such as WoW or Minecraft? I'd say many. I'm no stranger to Curse.com, as I've done my fair share of Minecraft modding and texturing a few years ago and I know just how large the community for Minecraft alone is there on Curse. Simple statistics dictates, that out of 2+ million of our monthly unique users at least a hundred also subscribes to Curse.com services. Should it be otherwise, I would call it a strange anomaly.

That's guessing. But I can also simply ask someone who knows these things tomorrow at the office just how many bonus codes from the batch handed to Curse.com were redeemed before today's announcement, and see if I were right.
Never has so much been read into so little.
Dont like the direction, GOG.COM is heading too :/
Not really the News i like to hear in the beginning of the year