It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get a free GOG.com game with your Curse.com premium membership!

[url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank][/url]What a great day to have a curse! [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] premium membership, that is. We've partnered up with the fast-growing gaming network to make their sleek paid accounts offer even more awesome than before. Each premium user--whether they're upgrading their account or already have premium subscription--now gets to pick one of ten games redeemable on GOG.com. That's our way of putting a cherry on top of the already extensive offer, that includes--but is not limited to--unlimited access to a feature-full online gaming client, beta-keys giveaways, and various discounts with selected partners. Here's the list of GOG.com games that [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] premium members can pick from:

Sacred Gold
Gothic 2 Gold Edition
Empire Earth: Gold Edition
Divine Divinity
Dungeon Keeper Gold
Darwinia
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
Puddle
Defender's Quest
Megabyte Punch

As you can see, whether you are a role-player, a strategist, a puzzle-solver, or even a keen tower defender, you'll get something extra for yourself with your current or new premium [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] membership. More info on obtaining the free game can be found in [url=http://www.curse.com/news/curse/49289-curse-premium-membership-now-includes-a-free-game" target="_blank]this Curse.com news article[/url]. This partnership offer remains valid at least until December 31, 2014. We highly recommend [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] services, and hope you'll enjoy your free title!
dirtyharry50: The client could easily support the selection of and automatic install of mods to GOG games which would be sweet. It was made for this purpose to begin with (for MMO games) and excels at the task I can tell you from experience.
Personally if there is a optional client, id prefer GOG to DIY rather than use someone elses client for GOG's purposes
Grogger: I can't resist adding that from experience I have nothing positive to say about Curse.com. I've seen them obtain sites where the content and work was done by the users (for example think Wiki like sites) and once they control it things go decidedly downhill, even if you exclude things like new adverts being added.

This practice alone of running around buying out sites where the users have added all the content only so Curse.com can control it and turn it into something profitable for them is in no way a good thing. Just imagine if one company got a stronghold on all the gaming Wiki like sites, at that point how long before they flex more of their muscle for more profit and parts of the sites become "premium" features.

I used to be active on one such wiki like site and by the time Curse.com was done with it I couldn't bear contributing to it anymore just so they could control and profit from it while assimilating it to their liking.
This isnt just an issue with Curse.
It have happened to evry big user content driven site i know of.
The problem is that if its not under Public domain so sadly the creators and devs of the tool/site/feature then woud sell it to the highest bidder.

Once a site have enough visitors it almost always ends up getting sold off to some multimillion cooperation or tries to become one themself.
Post edited January 02, 2014 by Lodium
dirtyharry50: The client could easily support the selection of and automatic install of mods to GOG games which would be sweet. It was made for this purpose to begin with (for MMO games) and excels at the task I can tell you from experience.
nijuu: Personally if there is a optional client, id prefer GOG to DIY rather than use someone elses client for GOG's purposes
Even after seeing the endless downloader beta go on and on with its own thread full of issues? I admit I haven't looked in there for a while as I never use the thing but it didn't exactly inspire confidence in whoever was developing that thing.

But sure if they can build something that reaches a reliable 1.x release in a reasonable amount of time, maybe a year is reasonable for that if it hasn't been started yet?
nijuu: Personally if there is a optional client, id prefer GOG to DIY rather than use someone elses client for GOG's purposes
dirtyharry50: Even after seeing the endless downloader beta go on and on with its own thread full of issues? I admit I haven't looked in there for a while as I never use the thing but it didn't exactly inspire confidence in whoever was developing that thing.

But sure if they can build something that reaches a reliable 1.x release in a reasonable amount of time, maybe a year is reasonable for that if it hasn't been started yet?
Honestly? Ive been using GOGs for a fair while now and i havent had any issues using it *yet*
dirtyharry50: Even after seeing the endless downloader beta go on and on with its own thread full of issues? I admit I haven't looked in there for a while as I never use the thing but it didn't exactly inspire confidence in whoever was developing that thing.

nijuu: Honestly? Ive been using GOGs for a fair while now and i havent had any issues using it *yet*
Cant even get the client working so i always just end up downloading games by browser.
So what do you do, to get it working?
Post edited January 02, 2014 by Lodium
Boy, I must be getting old, because I just looked all through Curse's webpage and I still have no idea what it is all about.
What a horrible night to have a curse.
nijuu: Honestly? Ive been using GOGs for a fair while now and i havent had any issues using it *yet*
Lodium: Cant even get the client working so i always just end up downloading games by browser.
So what do you do to get it work?
Downloaded
Installed (not installed in default directory, and permission made and checked in my firewall)
Added GOG links (used Opera both old and crappy new versions. also chrome)
Games download and complete.
Speeds always max out my connection

Well that is good but a quick review of the thread just now does show the trouble-free experience certainly isn't universal at this time. Of course, it is hard to know how meaningful a few reports are when it is possible many others who'd never bother to post might not be having problems. Still, to me it is telling they still consider that code beta after all this time. I'm just not impressed by that at all. But again, if they can put together something reliable and stamp it 1.x for all to use and there isn't a lot of problem reports, sure that would be great. I just pointed out the existing one's benefit as something that has already made that milestone years ago.

I am curious now. Maybe I will try the Mac version of the downloader next time and see what I think of it for myself.
Post edited January 02, 2014 by dirtyharry50
jalister: Presenting this as news to GOG customers makes me think someone in GOG promotions has lost touch with who their customers are. There isn't one game on Curse's supported list that is on GOG. Hopefully in this case partnered simply means cross-promotion.

When I saw partnered, I was wondering which developer. We need some classic Bethesda and LucasArts games here. Or, how about partnering with an established Linux distro to start bringing us Linux games. :)

Hopefully this "promotion" benefits both parties, but it's not an offer that would benefit anyone I know. It's nothing against Curse, it's just not for me.
I am quoting you because your point of view is fully inline with my thoughts on this announcement.
stoicsentry: Boy, I must be getting old, because I just looked all through Curse's webpage and I still have no idea what it is all about.
I'm in the same boat. Never heard about it before, obviously a lot of others here have.
Some sort of gaming network ?. But as you say a quick look at their web page and it is not that obvious what they provide and the benefits. I wont bother looking into it more, as there is nothing I am missing in the gaming world.

It would have been better from an advertising point of view to at least let us all know what the service is, without having to look it up.

Regards MarkL
Lodium: Cant even get the client working so i always just end up downloading games by browser.
So what do you do to get it work?
nijuu: Downloaded
Installed (not installed in default directory, and permission made and checked in my firewall)
I also confirm that GOG's downloader works great. Although I do recommend that you clear the list of your downloads after downloading session is finished, especially if you move the downloaded files to e.g. NAS, because it happened often that GOG's downloader started to download again the games already downloaded or waist time checking the consistency of the downloaded files.
nijuu: Downloaded
Jakov: I also confirm that GOG's downloader works great. Although I do recommend that you clear the list of your downloads after downloading session is finished, especially if you move the downloaded files to e.g. NAS, because it happened often that GOG's downloader started to download again the games already downloaded or waist time checking the consistency of the downloaded files.
Good suggestion. Forgot about moving the downloaded files once and it downloaded same ones again .Argh!!.And i usually clear my downloaded list LOL.
You know, it would have been nice if GOG had actually mentioned a year+ ago that they were in partnership in nGlide at one point, but they seemed to keep that pretty hidden, at least here on the forum. An official announcement about that would have been nice, and more exciting to me than this.
Let's be honest, this announcement and partnership are likely won't affect anybody here in a negative way.