It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
NOTICE: Due to lack of time on ciemnogrodzianin's part, I offered to help to maintain the Time Travel journeys. All credit should still go to ciemnogrodzianin. Now let's begin another year!!

Destination: 1998 | the year of Thief
Travel time: September-October 2021
Travel guide: link
Other travels: 1995, 1996, 1997

Airline Tycoon Deluxe
Alien Earth
Anno 1602 A.D.
Baldur's Gate
BattleZone 98 Redux
BLAZING STAR
Blood 2: The Blood Group
Caesar 3
Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now
• Chessmaster 6000
Clash
Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
Deadlock 2: Shrine Wars
Deathtrap Dungeon
Delta Force
Descent: Freespace Battle Pack
DethKarz
Die By The Sword + Limb From Limb
• Dune 2000
Enemy Engaged: Apache vs Havoc
European Air War
Fallout 2
• Fifa World Cup 1998
Gangsters: Organized Crime
• Half-Life
• Heart of Darkness
Interstate 76 The Arsenal
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Collection
King's Quest 7+8
Krush Kill N Destroy 2: Krossfire
Leo the Lion's Puzzles
Links LS: 1998 Edition
Lords of Magic: Special Edition
M.A.X. + M.A.X. 2
• MechCommander
Metal Gear Solid
METAL SLUG 2
Might and Magic 6-pack Limited Edition
Moto Racer 2
• NBA Live 99
NAM
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
Of Light and Darkness: The Prophecy
Outwars
Police Quest: SWAT 1+2
Populous: The Beginning
Powerslide
Pro Pinball Big Race USA
Quake: The Offering
Rage of Mages
Railroad Tycoon 2 Platinum
Red Baron Pack
Return to Krondor
Robo Rumble
STAR WARS Rebellion
STAR WARS: Rogue Squadron 3D
Sanitarium
Seven Kingdoms: Ancient Adversaries
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division
SiN Gold
Speed Busters: American Highways
• StarCraft
Starship Titanic
Tex Murphy: Overseer
The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard
The Feeble Files
The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
The Settlers III
Thief Gold
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Unreal Gold
Uprising 2: Lead and Destroy
Vangers
Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate
• Warhammer: Dark Omen
Warlords III: Darklords Rising
X-Com: Interceptor

Time travellers:
• ciemnogrodzianin (☆ Airline Tycoon Deluxe, ★ Moto Racer 2, ★ Incoming)
• foxgog (★ Heart of Darkness, ☆ Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus)
• GamezRanker (☆ King's Quest 8, ☆ Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, ☆ Unreal)
• InkPanther (☆ Airline Tycoon Deluxe, ★ Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines, ☆ Moto Racer 2)
• Lone_Scout (☆ SiN Gold)
• tag+ (☆ METAL SLUG 2)

☆ – games played / declared to be played
★ – games completed

As per usual the list of games was built on the basis of GOG's data. Any help with adding missing titles and removing those belonging to other years are greatly appreciated.
Post edited November 07, 2022 by bluethief
Not on Gog, but one of the major releases of 1998 was of course Starcraft (man, do I feel old, this was 23 years ago, wow).
Nice year, some true classics like Thief and Descent: Freespace.

EDIT: The settlers III was also released in 1998.
Post edited September 11, 2021 by morolf
I played through 1998 (only select games and user-made content) a few years ago, and the highlights for me was:
Might&Magic 6
Unreal
Fallout 2
Half-Life
Thief: The Dark Project
Baldur's Gate

Most disappointing game to me was probably Sin. I thought it had lousy level design, and when I managed to run out of ammo I didn't restart.

Only six real classics in the genres that I play this year. I think the market was still dominated by RTS games.
No obscure or shareware indies on my play list, either, and the only noteworthy user-made content was Colossal Caverns, one of the two best HoMM 2 maps I've played.

So to sum it up I'd call it a low intensity year punctuated by some high spikes.
morolf: Not on Gog, but one of the major releases of 1998 was of course Starcraft (man, do I feel old, this was 23 years ago, wow).
Nice year, some true classics like Thief and Descent: Freespace.

EDIT: The settlers III was also released in 1998.
Added both StarCraft and The Settlers III to the list. Thank you.
BTW, I think Hexen II was a 1997 game. On my play list it says September 11, 1997. Good game that I completed as an Assassin.
Commandos: Behind enemy lines is also a 1998 release (what a great year, some of the best games ever released within a few months).
Just a little note, you forgot the links to the 1996 and 1997 threads in the OP.
low rated
bluethief: NOTICE: Due to lack of time on ciemnogrodzianin's part, I offered to help to maintain the Time Travel journeys. All credit should still go to ciemnogrodzianin. Now let's begin another year!!
What a coincidence....I just started KQ8 for the nth time. :D

Feel free to put me down for(for now): KQ8, Shogo, and Unreal
(i'd do Thief/Blood 2 as well, but I played them both recently)

====

My journey into King's Quest 8 all started when I got a boxed copy of KQ8 long ago.....and despite it's differences from the prior entries, I was quite drawn to it(due to things like the intro music/video, the areas, etc), and i've tried to make it a point to play it every now and then.

Technical Notes

The game is quite "wonky" in some ways, like needing to install it to a short folder structure(or else it will not load some levels properly, if at all. In my case I installed it to c:\games\KQ8). Also, each time one goes to new regions the game has to dump the old level data and load the new level data....which can take a few minutes in some cases.
(this also applies to loading saves that were saved on regions other than the one currently loaded into memory)

Some Pics

1. I start in the third region, the swamps, as I already had been travelling to this year(i.e. playing this game) before this thread started.

2. I meet some "friendly" and familiar seeming natives along the way, as I search for more pieces of the magical McMuffin MacGuffin.

3. I also meet a tree who likes gold, for some odd reason.....he takes one gold piece for every deep sounding line he utters, which is quite worth it as Connor gets a small amount of experience each time.

4. I then take a moment to snag a cool refreshing drink from the local watering hole(this is a good place to get free health, if one doesn't mind trekking back here to heal sometimes), while keeping an eye on yet another "well meaning" native nearby.

5. (Maybe Spoiler) There is also one of the coveted items needed for the scroll of might(a magic spell shopping list type item found in the first main region) not too far away.
Attachments:
4-ontap.jpg (117 Kb)
Post edited September 11, 2021 by GamezRanker
Really, really tempted to play Populous: The Beginning for the umpteenth time (anyone in the mood for a genuinely excellent realtime strategy should take a good look at this one), but perhaps I should finally give Outwars with its unmistakable Starship Troopers vibe a go.

I'll confirm for sure once I installed it.

Man there are some excellent titles in that list!
low rated
Some (more) Pics

6. I take some time to meet the locals, and inspect their accommodations.

7. And also "inspect" their possessions, as well.

8. Connor finds a place to teleport(one need to unlock access to the main portal in the first main region[Daventry] to make full use of this), albeit in an odd place.

GR note: I disliked having to climb some things sometimes. I mean, the climb mechanic is decent enough, but at times it can be annoying(like climbing to this teleport to use it, and back down again when one returns here from somewhere else).

9. Another new enemy. Like the tree beast near the watering hole, it's one that only can be meleed, and also sometimes they hide under the water. Thankfully, though, they cannot move from where they're positioned.

10. I also meet some actually nice & cheerful natives for a change....albeit maybe a bit too cheerful.
Attachments:
8-whyyyyy.jpg (161 Kb)
Post edited September 11, 2021 by GamezRanker
PetrusOctavianus: BTW, I think Hexen II was a 1997 game. On my play list it says September 11, 1997. Good game that I completed as an Assassin.
You're right, Just checked and it came on August 1997. Don't know why GOG has 1998 as the released year. Removed it and added Half-Life per your previous post.
morolf: Commandos: Behind enemy lines is also a 1998 release (what a great year, some of the best games ever released within a few months).
Added to the list, thank you.
Cavalary: Just a little note, you forgot the links to the 1996 and 1997 threads in the OP.
It's not that I forgot, but more with the fact that I cannot seem to get those links to display correctly.

On Screenshot_1 you can see how I'm putting the links, and on Screenshot_2 how it is displayed on the OP. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. If you, or anyone, can help with this I would thankful.
GamezRanker:
Added to the OP. Welcome aboard :)
Attachments:
Post edited September 11, 2021 by bluethief
I'll probably play Airline Tycoon Deluxe for a bit, and maybe Commandos.

A test:
1995, 1996, 1997

Edit: try using quotation marks for those links
Attachments:
Post edited September 11, 2021 by InkPanther
InkPanther: I'll probably play Airline Tycoon Deluxe for a bit, and maybe Commandos.

A test:
1995, 1996, 1997

Edit: try using quotation marks for those links
That's great, it works!! Thank you very much :).
bluethief: That's great, it works!! Thank you very much :).
Cheers! One of those forum, let's call them, quirks. ;)
Petrus Octavianus already mentioned it, Baldur's Gate should also be added to the list.
Post edited September 11, 2021 by morolf