After spending the last week on the public beta branch, v2.1.1 is now live for everyone. Apart from a couple of minor bugs which I've now fixed, the latest update appears to be going down really well.
Thank you to everybody who switched over to the beta branch to test the new features, I appreciate all of your feedback!
I've posted the same information as appeared in the original beta announcement below, for reference. New features - designed by you!
This update is crammed full of great suggestions that have come directly from the community. From an improved build menu interface to a button which allows you to toggle all your mods at once - this update is all about making it easier for you to play the game. A better interface allows you to concentrate on what's important - all of the fishies!
For a full changelog see the bottom of this post, but first let's take a closer look at the heavy hitters. Perspective mode
I mentioned this in the last dev blog but perspective mode is now live!
It's a subtle difference but for those who find the orthographic camera mode disorienting, this small change will make the game much more accessible. For the rest of us, it's a matter of personal preference. Collapsible build menu categories
I wasn't 100% sure about this feature prior to implementing it, but I'm really pleased with how it's turned out.
It's now possible to collapse individual categories in the build menu so that you're not looking at everything at once. Coupled with a button at the top which allows you to collapse/expand all the categories at once, it's now really easy to find a particular group that you're interested in.
I think this feature will be especially helpful to those players who have a lot of mods installed.
NB Don't forget about the search function though! If you know the name of what you're looking for, the search function is still the fastest way to find it IMO. Remember you can use the Enter key as a hotkey to start a search! Tropical / Coldwater toggle
Another feature that I never considered until it was suggested by the community. There is now a toggle at the top of the animal build menu which allows you toggle between showing Tropical or Coldwater animals.
Given that these animals will never safely occupy the same tank, I can see how dividing them like this makes a lot of sense. Improved growth icon
When you hover over the growth icon of an animal that isn't fully grown there is additional information now. As well as telling you how long until it grows up, it also lists any further stages of growth afterwards.
In addition the mechanic has been flipped around to make it easier to understand. Instead of an increasing count e.g. 0/3, 1/3. 2/3 etc. It's now just a simple day countdown. 3 days until growth, 2 days until growth, 1 day until growth.
It's a small thing, but in my testing it made an immediate impact on how easy it was to keep track of things. Enable/Disable all mods button
Modding enthusiasts rejoice! You can now enable/disable all mods with the click of a single button at the top of the Modding Manager. Extra mod stability
Another one for people who use a lot of mods. If a mods causes the game to fail to load, then all mods will be automatically disabled and the game reloaded.
This will at least allow players to get into the game. From there, they can re-enable mods one at a time (or in groups) via the mod manager to try to determine which mod is causing the issue.
The most common cause of the game failing to load was when a mod depended on another mod for extra animal food types, but this depended upon mod was not installed. If this specific case is detected by the game, it will now automatically insert "Orange Pellet" as the required food for the animal, rather than fail to load. v2.1.0 changelog
- Added perspective mode.
- Added collapsible headings to build menu.
- Added coldwater toggle.
- Improved growth icon.
- Added a note about when certain breeding locations unlock to the breeding tooltip.
- Added a count to the messages when fry and eggs grow up.
- Added a bubble above the poster when it's not connected to a tank.
- You can now build walls up against the edge of all tanks.
- Staff don't prioritise tasks for which they have the required item quite as much. When comparing tasks, those which don't require the staff to fetch a new item are considered slightly closer than those that do require an item switch. Previously, they were considered infinitely closer and prioritised above all tasks that required an item switch.
- Increased performance of build menu.
- Slightly improved efficiency of some graphical operations. (More substantial performance improvements are still on the way!)
- Fixed bug where if a Biter caused the death of another animal, no cause would be shown in the resulting message.
- Added a message when a pregnant animal loses their baby (miscarriage).
- Corrected autofeeder food tooltip.
- Added light icon to lights when you select them.
- Fixed bug where center of feeding platform tank was wrong.
- Calcium reactor (and other external "aquascaping") no longer counts towards explorer count.
- Increased stability of camera to stop it going out of alignment. 'home'/'h' shortcut should always correct issues.
- Fixed bug where staff animation kept playing when assigned a single square zone.
- Fixed bug where water quality would go above 100%.
- Fixed bug where long necked turtle, dwarf crocodiles, green anaconda and manatee could not be eaten. IE They can be eaten now!
- Improved aeroplane objective on 5. Diamond River so that freshwater subcondition will only tick if the aeroplane is in a freshwater tank.
- You can no longer sell the aeroplane on 5. Diamond River.
- You can no longer sell the panther crabs on 5. Diamond River.
- Fixed bug where you couldn't search for communal animals.
- Fixed bug where guests got stuck in toilet.
- Fixed bug: "Tank not listed in Ledger for some Animals" - blue knuckle hermit crabs.
- Fixed bug in 4. Kairobi where the small beach tank did not start available.
- The random seed is used for more things in sandbox mode.
- Fix type in Chinese on 10. Megalopolis.
- Fixed bug where highlight in game world would persist when moving over UI.
- Vending machines no longer sell an item to a guest when they reach them if they have run out.
- Removed shadows from animals while placing them.
- Added 1st person tutorial to 3. Elmshorn.
- Added ledger tutorials to 6. Hartcliff and 2. Paskovka. v2.1.1 changelog
- Fixed bug which occurred if W, A, S or D was held while transitioning out of 1st person view.
- Fixed issue where animals without a temperature requirement would not appear regardless of which temperature filter was selected. They now appear all the time.
- When a guest is selected, negative thoughts now appear with the number in red while positive ones appear green. This matches the color coding in the main guest thoughts list.