It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Game: SWAT 4: Gold Edition
Installer MD5:
410992ea13187156a8632fead5c38d0e setup_swat4_gold_2.0.0.4.exe
WineHQ AppDB link: Retal Version

Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Desktop: MATE 1.16.1
Kernel: 4.4.0-59-generic x86_64
GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 240/PCIe/SSE2
GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.101

Wine version(s) tested: Wine 2.0-staging with CSMT via PlayOnLinux
Winetricks Needed: didn't install anything

Extra Notes: I got better gameplay when I added CSMT, without it, it was slow. the bug, where areas that should be in shadow and people are rendered solid black, as reported here is still with us, which means certain stages become hide and seek the pixel. But I got past that using PoL and setting GLSL Support to disables, then most of it is gone, swat members and most of the shadows is not black

Bugged: https://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=6970
Mine: http://i.imgur.com/3E8LJWv.png
Post edited January 30, 2017 by te_lanus
te_lanus: Game: SWAT 4: Gold Edition
Installer MD5:
410992ea13187156a8632fead5c38d0e setup_swat4_gold_2.0.0.4.exe
WineHQ AppDB link: Retal Version

Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Desktop: MATE 1.16.1
Kernel: 4.4.0-59-generic x86_64
GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 240/PCIe/SSE2
GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.101

Wine version(s) tested: Wine 2.0-staging with CSMT via PlayOnLinux
Winetricks Needed: didn't install anything

Extra Notes: I got better gameplay when I added CSMT, without it, it was slow.
For MAC Users: PaulTheTall released a wrapper for SWAT 4 in his Porting Kit.
Post edited January 29, 2017 by Silverhawk170485
anybody have an idea how to prevent the GOG installer from installing .NET/VC runtime and similar useless stuff ?

The Darkest Hour installer always hangs while trying to install .NET3.5 :/
While killing the .NET installer allows the GOG installer to finish, I wish there was an easier way to tell to installer not to bother with that stuff.
immi101: anybody have an idea how to prevent the GOG installer from installing .NET/VC runtime and similar useless stuff ?

The Darkest Hour installer always hangs while trying to install .NET3.5 :/
While killing the .NET installer allows the GOG installer to finish, I wish there was an easier way to tell to installer not to bother with that stuff.
IIRC, if you run the installer with the /debug flag, it only installs just the game files, without running the installer for dependencies like .NET. (That was how I got AvP to install when it first came out, as the associated installer it ran for Galaxy would lock up WINE.)

Also, if you do things like install .NET before running the installer, the installer should be smart enough to not try to install it again.
Post edited January 29, 2017 by rampancy
shmerl: Did anyone manage to run The Witcher 2 in Wine lately? Not that it's strictly needed, since there is VP port, but I tried it recently just to test, and it crashes on startup.
JudasIscariot: Do you get a specific error message when it crashes either in the backtrace or the terminal output?
To clarify, it actually hangs rather than crashes. Here is what I see in the log: http://pastebin.com/raw/Gp7CKE1x

It shows a black screen and a white cursor, plays the beginning sound for a second and then hangs. Are you able to get further into the game?
Post edited January 29, 2017 by shmerl
JudasIscariot: Do you get a specific error message when it crashes either in the backtrace or the terminal output?
shmerl: To clarify, it actually hangs rather than crashes. Here is what I see in the log: http://pastebin.com/raw/Gp7CKE1x

It shows a black screen and a white cursor, plays the beginning sound for a second and then hangs. Are you able to get further into the game?
Try "winetricks d3dcompiler_43" to get rid of those HLSL parsing errors....
shmerl: To clarify, it actually hangs rather than crashes. Here is what I see in the log: http://pastebin.com/raw/Gp7CKE1x

JudasIscariot: Try "winetricks d3dcompiler_43" to get rid of those HLSL parsing errors....
Perfect! That helped with hanging, though now the text in the game looks all messed up. Interesting thing is, the game worked fine without d3dcompiler_43 before, and there was no this text glitch either. I suppose it's some regression in Wine.
Post edited January 29, 2017 by shmerl
shmerl: Perfect! That helped with hanging, though now the text in the game looks all messed up. Interesting thing is, the game worked fine without d3dcompiler_43 before, and there was no this text glitch either. I suppose it's some regression in Wine.
IIRC, they actually changed how those DLLs are forwarded. Technically I don't think they would consider it a regression. The text issue could be with a too new version of Freetype if you have the needed fonts.
shmerl: Perfect! That helped with hanging, though now the text in the game looks all messed up. Interesting thing is, the game worked fine without d3dcompiler_43 before, and there was no this text glitch either. I suppose it's some regression in Wine.
Gydion: IIRC, they actually changed how those DLLs are forwarded. Technically I don't think they would consider it a regression. The text issue could be with a too new version of Freetype if you have the needed fonts.
Do you mean Freetype on the system is newer than Wine expects it to be? I have:

libfreetype6:amd64 2.6.3-3+b1
libfreetype6:i386 2.6.3-3+b1

And I'm using wine-staging built specifically for Debian testing.
Post edited January 30, 2017 by shmerl
shmerl: Do you mean Freetype on the system is newer than Wine expects it to be? I have:

libfreetype6:amd64 2.6.3-3+b1
libfreetype6:i386 2.6.3-3+b1
There is some issue with Freetype 2.7, but those should be fine...
Post edited January 30, 2017 by Gydion
Gydion: There is some issue with Freetype 2.7, but those should be fine...
In my case it wasn't font look that was off, but actually the whole text was garbled and showed nonsense combination of letters. Not sure what's causing it.
te_lanus: Game: SWAT 4: Gold Edition
Updated. If you could add a note about solid black shadows (linked bug 8848), thanks.
shmerl: In my case it wasn't font look that was off, but actually the whole text was garbled and showed nonsense combination of letters. Not sure what's causing it.
Based on that description it sounds like bug 41936.
Post edited January 30, 2017 by Gydion
Gydion: Based on that description it sounds like bug 41936.
Ah, interesting. Thanks for the pointer. Though in my case it's using the native override of d3dx9. But that screenshot matches that mess that I see indeed.
Gydion: Updated. If you could add a note about solid black shadows (linked bug 8848), thanks.
Updated and added my workaround (which I forgot about)
When running Witcher 3 in Wine staging, do you get the intro video? I saw someone posted a screen capture like that. It never plays for me, goes straight into rotating snake when I start a new game.