It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Amadren: Game: Simcity 2000 Special Edition
igrok: Why would you run it in Wine? It's a DOS game. Just extract the files with innoextract and play it in dosbox.
Faster & easier.
Installer MD5: df14bff3caa6fac2cfb54c1e16399e21 setup_sc2000_se_2.0.0.15.exe
WineHQ AppDB link: N/A

Distro: Archlinux 64 bits & Zorin OS 11 Ultimate
Kernel version: 4.5.1-1 & 4.2.0-36-generic
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7950
Graphics driver & version: Proprietary (catalyst-hook and fglrx)
Wine version(s) tested: Crossover & Wine 1.6.2 & Wine 1.9.9(-staging)

Install notes: Just install & play using Crossover & my crosstie. Wine gives me an awesome kernel panic.
How well does it run: Perfect
Details: Played several hours on both Archlinux & Zorin OS (ubuntu 15.10 based). Works perfectly using crossover, crashes my system using wine. Even when using POL's patched version.
I have never seen a kernel panic with Wine before. Does this also happen when you use the open source Radeon drivers?
JudasIscariot: I have never seen a kernel panic with Wine before. Does this also happen when you use the open source Radeon drivers?
IIRC, there's a DOSBox bug that's already fixed in the SVN builds. Though I think that only crashed Wine, and not the OS?
igrok: Why would you run it in Wine? It's a DOS game. Just extract the files with innoextract and play it in dosbox.
Amadren: Faster & easier.
Faster to extract it & fix up the conf file paths. I'll grant you it's more involved than running the installer via Wine.
Post edited May 07, 2016 by Gydion
Installer MD5: df14bff3caa6fac2cfb54c1e16399e21 setup_sc2000_se_2.0.0.15.exe
WineHQ AppDB link: N/A

Distro: Archlinux 64 bits & Zorin OS 11 Ultimate
Kernel version: 4.5.1-1 & 4.2.0-36-generic
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7950
Graphics driver & version: Proprietary (catalyst-hook and fglrx)
Wine version(s) tested: Crossover & Wine 1.6.2 & Wine 1.9.9(-staging)

Install notes: Just install & play using Crossover & my crosstie. Wine gives me an awesome kernel panic.
How well does it run: Perfect
Details: Played several hours on both Archlinux & Zorin OS (ubuntu 15.10 based). Works perfectly using crossover, crashes my system using wine. Even when using POL's patched version.
JudasIscariot: I have never seen a kernel panic with Wine before. Does this also happen when you use the open source Radeon drivers?
Maybe it's just a misuse of terms -- I've seen plenty of core dumps with Wine before, but never a kernel panic.
low rated
If you are seeing a kernel panic, that almost always means one of three things:

1. There is a bug in the kernel. This is unlikely to be the case if you are using a stable kernel (unless you have some obscure hardware), but if you can reproduce the panic, you should report it as a kernel bug to the distribution.

2. Your hardware isn't working properly. This could mean that your hardware is failing; running something like memtest might be a good idea here.

3. You are intentionally doing things that no user would do; if you are doing this, you should know what to expect. Of course, you can crash the kernel by using the following command (as root):
# echo 'c' > /proc/sysrq-trigger
dtgreene: If you are seeing a kernel panic, that almost always means one of three things:

1. There is a bug in the kernel. This is unlikely to be the case if you are using a stable kernel (unless you have some obscure hardware), but if you can reproduce the panic, you should report it as a kernel bug to the distribution.

2. Your hardware isn't working properly. This could mean that your hardware is failing; running something like memtest might be a good idea here.

3. You are intentionally doing things that no user would do; if you are doing this, you should know what to expect. Of course, you can crash the kernel by using the following command (as root):
Those are definite possibilities, and I'm not saying any of your advice is wrong, but in the case of RAM failure I used to receive more "signal 11s" -- and that usually alerted me to some memory problem. Fortunately, these days memory chips seem to be somewhat more reliable than they used to be. :-)
te_lanus: Have you tried the new star wars game? Tried at a friends house, he has it running ok on his windows, but it runs way to fast on linux.
JudasIscariot: No, I have not tried Shadows of the Empire via Wine yet.
For what its worth, I tried this one from the CD many years ago. It didn't work. I couldn't get into the intro video.
low rated
blakstar: Those are definite possibilities, and I'm not saying any of your advice is wrong, but in the case of RAM failure I used to receive more "signal 11s" -- and that usually alerted me to some memory problem. Fortunately, these days memory chips seem to be somewhat more reliable than they used to be. :-)
When there is a RAM failure, the symptom you see depends on which memory location(s) is/are failing. If the failure is in memory used by the userland, you will see your programs segfault (as you noticed) or misbehave. If the failure is in the kernel, however, you might notice nothing (if the failure corresponds to some rarely used routine, like the code for the kernel;s panic() function, which is only called in case of a panic), you might get kernel panics or strange behavior (if the failure corresponds to code (or critical data, like the page tables)), or you might even fail to boot (if the failure affects the initial steps of loading the bootloader and decompressing the kernel). Note that strange behavior could lead to security compromises; a bit flip in the wrong place could result in security-sensitive code misbehaving.
blakstar: Maybe it's just a misuse of terms -- I've seen plenty of core dumps with Wine before, but never a kernel panic.
Nah, journalctl confirms it.
EDIT: Never tried using oss drivers.
dtgreene: If you are seeing a kernel panic, that almost always means one of three things:

My hardware is not working properly, I know it. In fact, my northbridge may be half broken, IOMMU/Vt-d aren't working and my usb 3 chipset is completly fucked up.
Post edited May 07, 2016 by Amadren
Space Run: Fast and Safe Delivery
State: Flawless
Wine HQ entry: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=32885&iTestingId=93669
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Curacao XT [Radeon R7 370 / R9 270X/370 OEM]
GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
GLX Version: 4.5.13416 - CPC 15.302
WINE: Wine Staging 1.9.9

From Winetricks I already had following installed: d3dx9_36, Quartz and vcrun 2010 - don't know if that was needed or not.

The game works the same as on Windows. No issues whatsoever.
Post edited May 12, 2016 by Matruchus
blakstar: Those are definite possibilities, and I'm not saying any of your advice is wrong, but in the case of RAM failure I used to receive more "signal 11s" -- and that usually alerted me to some memory problem. Fortunately, these days memory chips seem to be somewhat more reliable than they used to be. :-)
dtgreene: When there is a RAM failure, the symptom you see depends on which memory location(s) is/are failing. If the failure is in memory used by the userland, you will see your programs segfault (as you noticed) or misbehave. If the failure is in the kernel, however, you might notice nothing (if the failure corresponds to some rarely used routine, like the code for the kernel;s panic() function, which is only called in case of a panic), you might get kernel panics or strange behavior (if the failure corresponds to code (or critical data, like the page tables)), or you might even fail to boot (if the failure affects the initial steps of loading the bootloader and decompressing the kernel). Note that strange behavior could lead to security compromises; a bit flip in the wrong place could result in security-sensitive code misbehaving.
Well, I was basically referencing what I used to get -- granted, I haven't actually had Linux running on any failing hardware since about 1995 or so! :-)

EDIT: Still got Linux running quite happily on about 5 PCs or so -- been using it since the SLS release in 1993.

EDIT 2: It's funny really, now that I think about it. It's only due to Linux that I found out my hardware was failing. It was a dual-booting machine, and Windows ran along quite merrily, running all kinds of programs, whilst Linux was segfaulting all over the place.. :-)

(Corrected SFS to SLS -- not sure how I managed to make that typo!)
Post edited May 07, 2016 by blakstar
Anybody tried to install Colonial Charter mod for Banished under Wine? Im thinking about trying it out and was wondering if its doable under Wine.

Also tried to get Star Wars: Empire at War running under Wine but im hitting the wall with that strange resolution issue where the game is pushed to the right of the screen and the resolution is way too big for what its supposed to be. Im thinking now about reverting to previous catalyst drivers to see if its a driver issue. Maybe Pharaoh and other games will run then.
Post edited May 07, 2016 by Matruchus
JudasIscariot: No, I have not tried Shadows of the Empire via Wine yet.
niniendowarrior: For what its worth, I tried this one from the CD many years ago. It didn't work. I couldn't get into the intro video.
Reading the Release thread it seems it's not playable under wine :( . Seems to be a vsync problem: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_star_wars_shadows_of_the_empire_8ee57/post184
niniendowarrior: For what its worth, I tried this one from the CD many years ago. It didn't work. I couldn't get into the intro video.
te_lanus: Reading the Release thread it seems it's not playable under wine :( . Seems to be a vsync problem: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_star_wars_shadows_of_the_empire_8ee57/post184
That's not necessarily confirmed. :-)

I was the one that mentioned the game running at a really fast speed -- vsync was just a suggestion being bandied about.
blakstar: That's not necessarily confirmed. :-)

I was the one that mentioned the game running at a really fast speed -- vsync was just a suggestion being bandied about.
what I've read online is that it's mostly vsync related. Most advice given is to use the video driver application to limit the vsync on this game.