It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The cult classic strikes back!

<span class="bold">Star Wars&trade;: Shadows of the Empire</span>, the beloved action/arcade game set between Episode V and Episode VI, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com with a 20% launch discount.

Who among us hasn't dreamt of being offered a spot in the venerable Rogue Squadron? And when Han Solo himself is the one approaching you to ask for help against the Empire, it's hard to refuse, even if you are the hard-as-nails smuggler Dash Rendar.

The fight will take Rendar, his co-pilot droid Leebo, and his trusty spaceship The Outrider through iconic locations where Star Wars™ history was made. Whether he is taking down AT-ATs on Hoth, fighting off assassins sent after Luke Skywalker, or dueling Boba Fett, the adventures of Dash evoke that unmistakable Star Wars™ vibe that quickly turned him into a fan favorite. Because once you've experienced the varied gameplay and atmospheric cutscenes telling the story of Dash's struggle against the villainous Prince Xizor, you can't help but feel that his exploits are a significant part of the epic saga.

Join the daring Dash Render as he helps the Rebellion escape <span class="bold">Star Wars&trade;: Shadows of the Empire</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 20% discount will last until May 9th, 12:59 PM UTC.
Robette: Configuring it was a bit annoying since the mouse floats to the top left corner on the menu screen, at least for me, when using my wired Xbox360 controller, but in game it works just fine.
So I'm not the only one who noticed the mouse arrow floating on its own towards the left of the screen. I thought my gamepad was starting to fail but by playing around with the left stick in order to keep the arrow still eventually worked. Moving the left stick triggers it immediately when in the pause menu.
rampancy: The game works perfectly in CrossOver 15.1. Just disable Performance Enhanced Graphics and use the Legacy X Window System.
blakstar: I found it works great under Wine -- I just need to work out how to slow it down! It runs at around 10x speed, making it just a little bit hard to play on my Linux machine. :-P
You could try using CPU Grabber, by running it under WINE before launching the game. When running under CrossOver, it's proven surprisingly quite effective at imposing some sanity on Rogue Squadron 3D (which otherwise runs on an unplayably fast speed).
blakstar: I found it works great under Wine -- I just need to work out how to slow it down! It runs at around 10x speed, making it just a little bit hard to play on my Linux machine. :-P
rampancy: You could try using CPU Grabber, by running it under WINE before launching the game. When running under CrossOver, it's proven surprisingly quite effective at imposing some sanity on Rogue Squadron 3D (which otherwise runs on an unplayably fast speed).
It would be nice to know for curiosity's sake what's causing the difference in speed, programming-wise -- this particular machine is dual-booted with Windows XP, which runs the game at the correct speed.
Post edited May 06, 2016 by blakstar
^ this game relies on vsync, perhaps it's not functioning properly on your system.
Pyron: ^ this game relies on vsync, perhaps it's not functioning properly on your system.
It's OK -- my V-sync setting is fine, but we're not talking about it running under Windows, per se, but under Wine, which is a kind of "Windows API interpreter", if you will, since it's not actually an emulator. :-)
Post edited May 06, 2016 by blakstar
Maybe wine doesn't emulate vsyncing?
Robette: Configuring it was a bit annoying since the mouse floats to the top left corner on the menu screen, at least for me, when using my wired Xbox360 controller, but in game it works just fine.
theonlytime: So I'm not the only one who noticed the mouse arrow floating on its own towards the left of the screen. I thought my gamepad was starting to fail but by playing around with the left stick in order to keep the arrow still eventually worked. Moving the left stick triggers it immediately when in the pause menu.
Yes, I was wondering about that too, but the joystick works perfectly fine ingame.
radigram: I tryed with DxWnd, but only get black picture. Maybe we need to test different options ...
korell: Does dgVoodoo's ddraw allow for windowed mode?
I finally managed to run in windowed mode. Here is the tutorial:
Tutorial for windowed mode/very high resolutions (+ correctly centered cutscenes)
pcbl4ckw1ngz: Solid release, though I was hoping someone could make the starfield work past 800x600. Ah well. Also has anyone trying adding music to the main menu? Want the N64 menu loop in higher quality ogg.
dangustaargus: Yeah the star field issue is annoying as hell. The overlay, 2D elements, and text are also tied to 640x480 (not even 800x600) and they don't scale at all (so they get really tiny).

I've just been playing the game at 640x480 because that seems to be the target resolution - and it feels surprisingly appropriate for the age of the game but it would have been nice if those elements weren't hard coded like they are, and actually just image files like the escape menu is... then we'd be able to fix them easier.
It's surprising Lucasarts didn't even bother with a starfield optimized for 800x600, which is the 2nd resolution offered in the original CD's install.

Also, no one knows how to get the main menu to have its own music?
I have reached the Sewers level and after a 2nd reattempt of Gall Spaceport, I realized I can prevent the "sliding" by strafing in the opposite direction and jumping simultaneously to avoid falling off. Do not try it if no wall.

Mos Eisley and Beggar's Canyon mission is exactly the way I remembered it except 60fps of speeding. k+m users might struggle with it but with gamepad, no problem. Except for that hideous sand creature. Not throttling the accel all the way should be enough to avoid respawns. Well I'm off.
Post edited May 07, 2016 by theonlytime
theonlytime: I have reached the Sewers level and after a 2nd reattempt of Gall Spaceport, I realized I can prevent the "sliding" by strafing in the opposite direction and jumping simultaneously to avoid falling off. Do not try it if no wall.

Mos Eisley and Beggar's Canyon mission is exactly the way I remembered it except 60fps of speeding. k+m users might struggle with it but with gamepad, no problem. Except for that hideous sand creature. Not throttling the accel all the way should be enough to avoid respawns. Well I'm off.
As you say, the 60 fps is the cause of issues. Use the Nvidia Inspector program inside the NVI folder within the game installation (provided you have an Nvidia graphics card) to change the frame rate limit for the game (select Shadows of the Empire in the dropdown first) to 29.5 or 30.5. It stopped the Gall Spaceport sliding for me making it much better, and the probe droid bobbing animations looked much better at the lower framerate.
pcbl4ckw1ngz: Also, no one knows how to get the main menu to have its own music?
The CD version didn't have menu music either
pcbl4ckw1ngz: Also, no one knows how to get the main menu to have its own music?
IwubCheeze: The CD version didn't have menu music either
Very true, so I was hoping there was a mod to get around that.
IwubCheeze: The CD version didn't have menu music either
pcbl4ckw1ngz: Very true, so I was hoping there was a mod to get around that.
Well, you can play the music (you can find it in the -> C:\GOG Games\Star Wars - Shadows of the Empire\Sdata\MUSIC) with a media player (VLC, MPHC, etc. that supports .ogg format) and when the game starts you simply Alt+Tab and stop it (or make a key binding for stopping the player).

DId the N64 verison have menu music?
Post edited May 08, 2016 by radigram
pcbl4ckw1ngz: Very true, so I was hoping there was a mod to get around that.
radigram: Well, you can play the music (you can find it in the -> C:\GOG Games\Star Wars - Shadows of the Empire\Sdata\MUSIC) with a media player (VLC, MPHC, etc. that supports .ogg format) and when the game starts you simply Alt+Tab and stop it (or make a key binding for stopping the player).

DId the N64 verison have menu music?
Yep, it did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGPcu2qS9K0

Wonder how the game calls the music...
Post edited May 08, 2016 by pcbl4ckw1ngz