It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

orcishgamer: What three numbers between 1 and 10 make the following statement true?
______ X _______ X _________ = 105
What is the question asking?
Underline or circle the parts of the question that might help you solve it.
How do you plan to solve the problem?
Try to solve the problem using the space below (about half the page):
What was the answer to the problem?
Most of her math homework is a similarly structured, single problem, not all of them have this
much to do with algebra, but many of them have, as well as fairly advanced geometry concepts,
etc.
Thats seems pretty steep for 5th grade don't you think?
orcishgamer: What three numbers between 1 and 10 make the following statement true?
______ X _______ X _________ = 105
What is the question asking?
Underline or circle the parts of the question that might help you solve it.
How do you plan to solve the problem?
Try to solve the problem using the space below (about half the page):
What was the answer to the problem?
Most of her math homework is a similarly structured, single problem, not all of them have this
much to do with algebra, but many of them have, as well as fairly advanced geometry concepts,
etc.
KylieM: Thats seems pretty steep for 5th grade don't you think?
Yeah, I kinda do think:)
orcishgamer: Yeah, I kinda do think:)
Yeah, sorry I can't really think of much to help. :)
high rated
They may have taught that since it ends in 5, 5 will be a factor, and since you are limited 1-9 in the factors, division by 5 yields 21, which then only yields 7 and 3 as the additional factors.
Dischord: They may have taught that since it ends in 5, 5 will be a factor, and since you are limited 1-9 in the
factors, division by 5 yields 21, which then only yields 7 and 3 as the additional factors.
Sounds confusing lol
I don't teach math(s), but like I've bitched up-thread, I'm up for a really good lecturing position and they're taking forever to get back to me. I'm freakishly poor due to my last employer -- affectionately known as WC by her underlings -- not paying me. =(
high rated
Dischord: They may have taught that since it ends in 5, 5 will be a factor, and since you are limited 1-9 in the
factors, division by 5 yields 21, which then only yields 7 and 3 as the additional factors.
KylieM: Sounds confusing lol
Math is one of those things I always did better with, when I just sat down with it myself, as it seemed that there was no easy way just by listening. Listening could help, but I had to actually observe the problem, and what was going on, to "get it" most times :-)
JaqFrost: I don't teach math(s), but like I've bitched up-thread, I'm up for a really good lecturing position and they're taking forever to get back to me. I'm freakishly poor due to my last employer -- affectionately known as WC by her underlings -- not paying me. =(
Good luck on the lecturing position, and getting paid too!

I've gotten screwed by not getting paid before, and I know it is no picnic.
Post edited January 08, 2013 by Dischord
Dischord: Math is one of those things I always did better with, when I just sat down with it myself, as it
seemed that there was no easy way just by listening. Listening could help, but I had to actually
observe the problem, and what was going on, to "get it" most times :-)
I'm not really THAT bad at it, but it certainly wasn't one of my strong points. I agree you really
have to have it, to OBSERVE it, to get it - that and the teacher at the time was one of the least
helpful I've ever come across, luckily it was only for 1 year. :)
Post edited January 08, 2013 by KylieM
high rated
KylieM: I'm not really THAT bad at it, but it certainly wasn't one of my strong points. I agree you really
have to have it, to OBSERVE it, to get it - that and the teacher at the time was one of the least
helpful I've ever come across, luckily it was only for 1 year. :)
Math is much easier when you come across it in real life, and not in the classroom setting; at least for me.

I never cared for the "early" math classes, above arithmetic, because they wanted you to solve problems using a particular method, but those classes above them where you were free to solve using whatever methodology you chose, I enjoyed much better. Maybe because my toolbox was fuller, from all of the things I had to do earlier though :-)
Dischord: I never cared for the "early" math classes, above arithmetic, because they wanted you to solve
problems using a particular method, but those classes above them where you were free to solve
using whatever methodology you chose, I enjoyed much better. Maybe because my toolbox was
fuller, from all of the things I had to do earlier though :-)
I cannot express how much I agree with this. There was actually one thing I remember they had 'taught' me, and I found it really difficult, but then I found my own way of doing it, that was easy for me, and it still got the correct answer, so I didn't see what the problem was. It worked for ages, until some jackass went and told the teacher I wasn't doing it right and I got told off about it. :-(

I do not miss school one bit.
high rated
I was just about to bitch at myself, for not bitching in this thread enough.

Damn, the nerve not to bitch in a bitching thread.

Well, here's an Alpha Centauri code, and hopefully life will pick up just a little bit!

Edit to remove code.
Post edited January 08, 2013 by Dischord
Dischord: I was just about to bitch at myself, for not bitching in this thread enough.
Damn, the nerve not to bitch in a bitching thread.
Thank you Dischord - did not redeem but +10,325 rep to you!
Post edited January 08, 2013 by KylieM
I've had a bad fever for about 2 and a half weeks straight....
Dischord: Good luck on the lecturing position, and getting paid too!
I've gotten screwed by not getting paid before, and I know it is no picnic.
Thanks. =) Games are good for taking out your frustrations on them, so I should sit down with one,
but I've been feeling too antsy to focus.

Sebek: I've had a bad fever for about 2 and a half weeks straight....
Have you been to the doctor? It sounds like something you might want to have poked and prodded to find the cause. =/
Post edited January 08, 2013 by JaqFrost
KylieM: Sounds confusing lol
That's how I was able to walk her through it without straight out giving her the answer.