It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hedon is now available DRM-free. Get it 25% off until November 6th, 2pm UTC.

Update: Those of you who already own Hedon on Steam, can now redeem DRM-free copy via GOG Connect</span>. Offer is valid until November 12th, 2pm UTC.

Hedon is an experimental mix of classic and modern action game design running on the GZDoom Engine and bearing bits of inspiration from titles such as Hexen, Unreal or Arx Fatalis.
high rated
ShadowWulfe: I initially saw Ggmanlives and Mr. Icarus reviews for Hedon and had heard GOG had rejected it, which was frustrating to say the least.
I don't know where you heard that from but Hedon wasn't submitted to GOG until very recently and they accepted it right away?

shmerl: Just tried running it (current Debian testing), and I get this:

Running Hedon
./hedon: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

UPDATE:

I was able to start it by finding libjpeg-turbo8 from another distro and putting libjpeg.so.8.* (and symlink to libjpeg.so.8) into game's lib subdirectory. Can you please bundle libjpeg.so.8 with the game, like you did for libatomic.so.1 and etc.?
Thanks for the heads up, I'll let the guy handling the Linux porting know about it!
Zan_HedonDev: Thanks for the heads up, I'll let the guy handling the Linux porting know about it!
Thanks! Also, OpenGL renderer in Hedon is currently causing a GPU hang on Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT for me. Good thing that Vulkan renderer works fine.

It's likely due to various GPU hazards in Navi that are still not fixed in radeonsi. I'll open a Mesa bug about it.
Post edited November 03, 2019 by shmerl
TheMonkofDestiny: You kinda mangled together all the other responses of my post, two of which weren't directed toward you at all. Only the first bit about the art was and it was a legit question asked out of respect toward your position. I appreciate your answer though. (edited in later: I wasn't including you to be among the people deriding the game as "shit" or "garbage" - I get that people don't like every game, I sure as heck don't - but I will never understand the point where "I don't like it" came to be equated with "It's shit/trash")
Sorry about that, it was the forums quote system than mangled them together though, not me.
i just read it from the quote, instead of rechecking the original.
UhuruNUru: Sorry about that, it was the forums quote system than mangled them together though, not me.
i just read it from the quote, instead of rechecking the original.
No harm done. Dangers of using GOG's antiquated forum software, I reckon.
Zan_HedonDev:
Maybe an unfounded rumor then.

There had been some anticipated releases on GOG that had been rejected by their curation. Glad that this was not one of them.
GreasyDogMeat: It's pretty telling that most of the critics here have clearly not actually played it and are just trashing the art.
Some of the GOG base seem obsessed with hating certain art styles. As someone who has done art it's frustrating, but whatever. I used to be somewhat whiny on the forums over "new" games coming here but I got over it.

Frankly I'd just like to see competent games of all genres here (I know "competent" can be subjective), preferably ones that lots of people want and would sell well. (I want Mass Effect here, I want SKALD: Against The Black Priory here, Blade Runner, Super Meat Boy, Hexen, NFS 3, etc.) That's why I like the wishlist because it provides some quantitative data, even if a tiny portion of the userbase use it and most of the love goes to classics and not modern titles. (and why I'm not a fan of some of GOG's potential rejections)

Zan_HedonDev: ...
Hey if you don't mind me asking, is patching the GOG version close to the ease of patching the Steam version? I assume at this point it is, but too many GOG games are missing patches and I think some devs have complained GOG was much harder to patch than Steam. Hopefully as time goes on GOG versions will get more and more feature parity to Steam.

Thanks!
Post edited November 04, 2019 by tfishell
tfishell: Hey if you don't mind me asking, is patching the GOG version close to the ease of patching the Steam version?
No, because patches need to run through GOG's Q&A testing first, and adding them also involves contacting GOG. I"m currently waiting for them to reply to my mail in which I asked them about how we're going to handle hotfixes and patches.
tfishell: Hey if you don't mind me asking, is patching the GOG version close to the ease of patching the Steam version?
Zan_HedonDev: No, because patches need to run through GOG's Q&A testing first, and adding them also involves contacting GOG. I"m currently waiting for them to reply to my mail in which I asked them about how we're going to handle hotfixes and patches.
Interesting, I thought they let devs do that automatically now, at least through Galaxy. Huh. You might talk to them about a better way to do this if it seems antiquated. I get the need to test but I feel some folks should be allowed to automatically apply the patch / "take the chance" (and they can of course use Galaxy's Rollback if they want), and GOG can test in the meantime and apply it "officially" later.
high rated
I talked to them about it, apparently I've missed out on an invitation to the dev portal. I'll hopefully sort this out soon.
I also set up GOG Connect, it will be up tomorrow and last for a week if people want to take advantage of it.
high rated
Zan_HedonDev: Can you send me a screenshot while reading a parchment so I can see how small it is? The scaling is now automatic, so it should pick the best scale for your resolution.
Berzerk2002: Sure I can. Here you go.
Saved because something like this would make for a great wallpaper. I hope they add an official one for download. Bought the game several hours ago, looking forward to playing it. Amazing it's built on the id Tech 1 (DOOM) engine, it looks like it runs on something more complicated like Build, just based on what I've seen. Actually it reminds me the most of Strife in that it's a little RPG-esque, though it's still an old-school action FPS at it's heart.

To those complaining this is just a paid DOOM mod, isn't virtually everything in Hedon new and custom? All the enemies, weapons, textures, and so forth? Besides being a lot of work for a single dude(!), it means Hedon isn't just a mod--at the very least it's a 'total conversion'--but with the addition of new features I think it becomes an entirely new game that just happens to run on the DOOM engine. I don't see it being any different than Heretic or Hexen in this regard.

To the dev, should you read this, thank you for fully embracing the loincloth in this fantasy universe. We need more sexy warrior women wearing loincloths in games, and also in general.
Lemonjack: To those complaining this is just a paid DOOM mod...
Valid points, but I'd say just ignore it. There's a lot of anger and negativity coming from that individual, despite them talking about tolerance of opinions. It's easier to throw a punch and harder to have a civil discussion, I guess but that might just be the soy in me talking (whatever that means).
How time flies sometimes... knew it'd be up here an steam sooner or later. :)

What's actually new since ver. 1.2.? Read there still is that sudden/open end, is that true? Will probably get it here when the chapters are done.

One thing I'm curious about is, with the GZdoom engine being ablte to process 3d models, why didn't you make use of that (or for sprite creation)? Could've probably helped quite a bit with the graphical deficiencies quite some people talk about.

Other than that have to say you hit the basics of hexenlike gameplay quite well. Not a fan of Hedons setting at all, but man... with the original Raven-Classic setting this would be plain amazing, imho! Gameplays on the right track, I'd say. :)

If there's room for feedback here:

- with Thief and DeusEx as some of the inspirations of yours, I'm a tad surprised about the low degree of interactivity and freedom of action. Like the missing importance of movable or destructible objects.
Or... as turrets are a primary target for enemies and destroyed so fast, why not solving such things with a bit more interactivity and allow to sacrifice like 10 or so shield crystals and repair/recharge a broken turret that way? (really love the difference that you can't put them back anymore but still carry them around!)
Or... even without the potion launcher allow collecting and dropping the potions as a sort of "explosive barrel" and mine crossover.
And many more... Well, as said, stuff like that. :)

- are bosses still these hefty damage sponges? Bossfights were one of the turndowns for me at least. As well as those frequent "arena wave spawn in" events.

- really liked the squad mechanic situations in chapter 2, sadly it was so shortlived...

best regards
high rated
seelenernter: What's actually new since ver. 1.2.? Read there still is that sudden/open end, is that true? Will probably get it here when the chapters are done.
Changelog is here - https://www.gog.com/forum/hedon/changelog
(Thanks Berzerk2002 for adding it!)
Not sure why people say it's open ended considering you solve the main plot issue and tension in the place where you spend the episode into. The game was planned from the get go into multiple episodes so I have to leave something to connect and continue in the future content.

- As I said before, when it comes to characters I prefer the janky hand drawn sprites because I think they have more personality and if I were to change that to 3D-rendered sprites a lot of soul would be lost. This being said, Hedon is the only 3D game in which I'll ever make hand drawn character sprites.

- I might work on a general update after I'm completely done with Hedon and work on destructible items but until then I honestly think it's an overrated feature that's decades away from being novelty and there's just other more important stuff to invest development time into, such as the next episode.

- Bosses now take about 20% more damage than they do in the freeware version, so they're less spongy.

- The squad mechanic will be used further in the next episode, or you can just play on Brutalizing or Bearzerk and find friendlies earlier on.
I'm playing the game, and can confirm it has some Arx Fatalis feeling to it at times :)
Zan_HedonDev: I talked to them about it, apparently I've missed out on an invitation to the dev portal. I'll hopefully sort this out soon.
I also set up GOG Connect, it will be up tomorrow and last for a week if people want to take advantage of it.
Interesting. Can you tell us what options the Dev Portal has or are you supposed to keep that a secret/NDA?