It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hedon is now available DRM-free. Get it 25% off until November 6th, 2pm UTC.

Update: Those of you who already own Hedon on Steam, can now redeem DRM-free copy via GOG Connect</span>. Offer is valid until November 12th, 2pm UTC.

Hedon is an experimental mix of classic and modern action game design running on the GZDoom Engine and bearing bits of inspiration from titles such as Hexen, Unreal or Arx Fatalis.
low rated
-Nachtmahr-: So much hate for this game, the gog community really does not know what it wants. One half only wants old games, now the gog zoomers are screaming for their triple a, great graphica turds.

Hedon is actually great and way better than it looks. Plus it started as a mod and doom graphics are always nice. The first level is the worst part of the game though. Good mix between doom and hexen.

If I had known that gog accepted your game, I would have waited to buy it here. I am a poor man for the next few weeks.

Also, gog, when will we finally get chasm: the rift?
The Gog community as previously stated is made up of individuals with different wants and needs, not a hive mind that has to think along the same lines. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, I'm glad to see that the forums are better these days for tolerating different points of view (this thread being an exception.)

I'd love to see Chasm the Rift here as well, that game rocks.
I bought this GzDoom source port based game on GoG already.
With the purchase, I think I made a good decision to support Zan for her further project plans. :)
I will wait for the upcoming 2nd episode.
Post edited November 02, 2019 by csikocska89
UhuruNUru: Of course the GOG community wants different things, that's because we are all individuals, not a hive mind, and that's OK.
David9855: The Gog community as previously stated is made up of individuals with different wants and needs, not a hive mind
https://youtu.be/KHbzSif78qQ?t=35
Post edited November 02, 2019 by WBGhiro
high rated
UhuruNUru: What brought me here though was the misleading banner Art for the game, I made an earlier post about.
Another trend these Retro styled games have in common, that I despise.
You despise it and mention that you were around when Pong was "new" and were an Amiga player. So, did the art used to promote those also upset you? I'm a few years shy of 40 and grew up with an Atari - absolutely none of that artwork was indicative of what I saw in the games I played and enjoyed and back then (well, except maybe Breakout but even then there's a big difference between the art and the in-game visual).

David9855: Everyone is entitled to their opinions, I'm glad to see that the forums are better these days for tolerating different points of view (this thread being an exception.)
It's been surprisingly tolerable considering that people have come in and either declared Hedon (and other recent releases) as "shitgames" or "garbage" with work from "old has beens" in it.

csikocska89: With the purchase, I think I made a good decision to support Zan for her further project plans. :)
You could continue to do so at their Patreon.
low rated
UhuruNUru: What brought me here though was the misleading banner Art for the game, I made an earlier post about.
Another trend these Retro styled games have in common, that I despise.
TheMonkofDestiny: You despise it and mention that you were around when Pong was "new" and were an Amiga player. So, did the art used to promote those also upset you? I'm a few years shy of 40 and grew up with an Atari - absolutely none of that artwork was indicative of what I saw in the games I played and enjoyed and back then (well, except maybe Breakout but even then there's a big difference between the art and the in-game visual).

David9855: Everyone is entitled to their opinions, I'm glad to see that the forums are better these days for tolerating different points of view (this thread being an exception.)
TheMonkofDestiny: It's been surprisingly tolerable considering that people have come in and either declared Hedon (and other recent releases) as "shitgames" or "garbage" with work from "old has beens" in it.

csikocska89: With the purchase, I think I made a good decision to support Zan for her further project plans. :)
TheMonkofDestiny: You could continue to do so at their Patreon.
Calling out games I don't like and why I don't like them or think they are a mistake to come to gog is certainly preferable then your passive aggressive soy garbage.
Post edited November 02, 2019 by David9855
high rated
David9855: Calling out games I don't like and why I don't like them or think they are a mistake to come to gog is certainly preferable then your passive aggressive soy garbage..but then again that's usually how you old guard types roll; back when loser nerds used to escape to video games land because society didn't want them because of their toxic personality's.
I get that you don't like it, I even get why you don't like it and can respect that. I don't get why you jumped to insulting me, viewing my own responses to you or others as old guard or passive aggressive soy garbage (what the hell does that even mean? I'm old and out of touch with the current crop of insults it seems).
low rated
David9855: Calling out games I don't like and why I don't like them or think they are a mistake to come to gog is certainly preferable then your passive aggressive soy garbage..but then again that's usually how you old guard types roll; back when loser nerds used to escape to video games land because society didn't want them because of their toxic personality's.
TheMonkofDestiny: I get that you don't like it, I even get why you don't like it and can respect that. I don't get why you jumped to insulting me, viewing my own responses to you or others as old guard or passive aggressive soy garbage (what the hell does that even mean? I'm old and out of touch with the current crop of insults it seems).
I think we should just stop here instead of taking the thread about this specific game more off-topic.
high rated
David9855: I think we should just stop here instead of taking the thread about this specific game more off-topic.
If that was the intent then why openly insult me (and if not me specifically, then others in general) in the thread at all? My chat on the site's open (plenty of people send me unsolicited messages) and you could've unloaded all that anger and negativity and went back to keeping yours closed so you wouldn't need to respond further.
Post edited November 03, 2019 by TheMonkofDestiny
Looks like Doom mixed with the exploration of Minecraft. Interesting...
low rated
TheMonkofDestiny: You despise it and mention that you were around when Pong was "new" and were an Amiga player. So, did the art used to promote those also upset you? I'm a few years shy of 40 and grew up with an Atari - absolutely none of that artwork was indicative of what I saw in the games I played and enjoyed and back then (well, except maybe Breakout but even then there's a big difference between the art and the in-game visual).

It's been surprisingly tolerable considering that people have come in and either declared Hedon (and other recent releases) as "shitgames" or "garbage" with work from "old has beens" in it.

You could continue to do so at their Patreon.
I've despised the practise whenever it's been used, which is exactly why I labelled it as "Retro Marketing", I considered that sort of marketing extremely misleading, even back then, when it was widely used.
We've moved on from those days, and had big scandals about such marketing not representing the sold product.
That's my point, I don't expect to see it today.

The only result it had, was to cause me to make a post critiquing it's use.

Finally, no, why the hell would I go to their Patreon.
The marketing was on the banner to the GOG announcement post.
Here's my first post in this comments thread, which is linked to directly from that for that announcement
My first post quoted Zan_HedonDev's response to another user.
Zan_HedonDev: If I had paid for reviews you would've heard of Hedon a long time ago. Back when retro-style shooters were still cool I suppose :^)
UhuruNUru: When they were still cool, they didn't have that "Retro" label, they were just the latest, new, shiny, must have shooters.
The best the technology of the day could manage.

Maybe it's me, but I expect games that aspire to emulate the best of those early PC days, to use the best today's technology can manage, not pretend I'm still playing on that same, now 25 years old, PC.

What gets me is that Banner art, in no way reflects the games content, is that "Retro marketing".
Making the cover Art, look far better than the in game stuff, and nothing like the actual game.
Release: Hedon
Zan_HedonDev:
It's been the responses to that post, that have brought me back to this thread, not some vendetta against this game.
Mostly, after that first post, I've made generalised comments, about the "Retro" trends, rather than Hedon specifically.
This is exactly the right, and proper place, for my first comment, and beyond that, I've been responding to comments made here, and nowhere else.
Post edited November 02, 2019 by UhuruNUru
UhuruNUru: I've despised the practise whenever it's been used, which is exactly why I labelled it as "Retro Marketing", I considered that sort of marketing extremely misleading, even back then, when it was widely used.
We've moved on from those days, and had big scandals about such marketing not representing the sold product.
That's my point, I don't expect to see it today.

The only result it had, was to cause me to make a post critiquing it's use.

Finally, no, why the hell would I go to their Patreon.
You kinda mangled together all the other responses of my post, two of which weren't directed toward you at all. Only the first bit about the art was and it was a legit question asked out of respect toward your position. I appreciate your answer though. (edited in later: I wasn't including you to be among the people deriding the game as "shit" or "garbage" - I get that people don't like every game, I sure as heck don't - but I will never understand the point where "I don't like it" came to be equated with "It's shit/trash")
Post edited November 02, 2019 by TheMonkofDestiny
high rated
It's pretty telling that most of the critics here have clearly not actually played it and are just trashing the art.

Have my complaints myself... I also am not crazy about the character art (it's fine). It ends on a cliffhanger and perhaps it's my fault, but I didn't feel it was made clear before purchase that it was just the first 'episode' (content was still WELL worth the price though taking me close to 10 hours, worth replaying for secrets and challenge). Some of the puzzles are a bit too clever. I got stuck for about 40 minutes on one level trying to figure one out. Had to look it up eventually and I didn't feel bad about having to look it up.

That said, the level design is absolutely fantastic (the dev's influences from Thief & Arx Fatalis are clear in the levels) and the combat is fun with interesting weapons that have alternate fire modes. Loved one section where you lose your weapons, the area has no power and is pitch black. You have to use pick up and move a turret to defend yourself while exploring. This does NOT feel like 'some doom mod'. "Soy"? Yeah... not from MonkofDestiny.
Post edited November 02, 2019 by GreasyDogMeat
Not sure where all the hate is coming from. There have been plenty of great mods especially coming out of the Doom community that I would be willing to pay for because of their quality.

I've recently been binging on Doom mods due to time constraints, and stuff like Ashes 2063 would definitely deserve their own paid section.

I initially saw Ggmanlives and Mr. Icarus reviews for Hedon and had heard GOG had rejected it, which was frustrating to say the least. The fact that they have reversed the decision made this a day one purchase for me. I'll reiterate that I think we would have been a lot better off in the gaming world if the focus had been on enhanced content with existing technology rather than technology race we ended up with.
Post edited November 03, 2019 by ShadowWulfe
Looks impressive! Another game to add to retro styled "FPS" games with interesting background story. And of course kudos for the Linux version!
Zan_HedonDev: Meh, Hedon gets ten times more love than it gets hate anyway, which is normal for any game really.
Just tried running it (current Debian testing), and I get this:

Running Hedon
./hedon: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

UPDATE:

I was able to start it by finding libjpeg-turbo8 from another distro and putting libjpeg.so.8.* (and symlink to libjpeg.so.8) into game's lib subdirectory. Can you please bundle libjpeg.so.8 with the game, like you did for libatomic.so.1 and etc.?
Post edited November 03, 2019 by shmerl